As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I downloaded the Guild Wars trial, made a free account, and it won't let me log in.

Guess I just saved myself $25!

Not that I haven't played it before, it's just been a little over 5 years. And that was when it was a beta.

SteevL on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    I downloaded the Guild Wars trial, made a free account, and it won't let me log in.

Not that I haven't played it before, it's just been a little over 5 years. And that was when it was a beta.

Did you enter the inlog information correctly? I remember it having something stupid like removing the .com from your e-mail adress/plaync account.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would like to say that buying Guild Wars at that price would be an incredibly clever move and would make whoever purchases it a rather classy chap. Seriously, the amount of content in the game for that price is ridiculous, you get all 3 campaigns, and once you're done with them, you can pick up the final expansion for cheap to finish off the story. Great game, amazing music and graphic design, and I got around 1200 hours of playtime out of it. On one character.

Also, is Lucidity any good? For that price it basically doesn't need to be, cause it looks pretty cool, but still, opinions would be nice.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would like to say that buying Guild Wars at that price would be an incredibly clever move and would make whoever purchases it a rather classy chap. Seriously, the amount of content in the game for that price is ridiculous, you get all 3 campaigns, and once you're done with them, you can pick up the final expansion for cheap to finish off the story. Great game, amazing music and graphic design, and I got around 1200 hours of playtime out of it. On one character.

Also, is Lucidity any good? For that price it basically doesn't need to be, cause it looks pretty cool, but still, opinions would be nice.

This man speaks truth, I wish I didn't own them so I could buy them again.

As for Lucidity, I hated it. It's a clever concept with a terrible execution. Proceed with extreme caution.

I thought this review was rather good: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/13/wot-i-think-lucidity/

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I ended up getting Lucidity for my Mum.

She might like it, and whilst it was way too simple for me (by the demo anyway), it might be good for someone with her gaming experiance.

LewieP on
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

She might like it, and whilst it was way too simple for me (by the demo anyway), it might be good for someone with her gaming experiance.

Wait, there's a demo? Where is? Steam says there's just a trailer.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just want to reiterate that POP is a piece of crap.

Edit: Or at least they should have called it "My first platformer: For little sissys"

I don't care what you say, I have a great time with it. I don't have any compensation problems. I don't need to prove I'm a TOUGH BADASS or anything. It's a gorgeous journey through one of the best designed worlds ever.

I think I'll jump in here. A big part of the draw for me with regards to the Prince of Persia games (been playing them back since the original PC games) was the difficulty. People aren't trying to be all badass, and compensating when they say that the new one being too easy made it less of a PoP game. One of the biggest points of the entire series up until this point is the accomplishment you felt when you finished it. That feeling/point is something that the designers of the new game really really missed the point of. I wouldn't have disliked it so much if it had just been named something different, but it wasn't, so as a fan of the series, it did nothing for me at all. Because it was for wussies who needed their hands held.

Aoi on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Wait, there's a demo? Where is? Steam says there's just a trailer.

Lucidity is also on XBLA, which I think mandates demos.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm really hoping this Guild Wars sale will spike interest in it again so I can play with people who aren't dumb thanks.

T4CT on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Roshin wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm really hanging on Guild Wars. I've tried the demo/trial, and didn't really like it (why can't you jump, oh my gooood), but I'm sure it does eventually get better beyond the starting zone. Normally, I wouldn't care, but the only reason I'm even considering this is because it doesn't have a monthly fee. Now, I assume that this is a lot of content at that price.

GW is a funny old game that seems to have everything going for it. Lovely graphics, good performance, no monthly fee, etc. Despite all that and despite trying several times, I just couldn't get into it, and I have no idea why. I slip into WoW in seconds, but not this one.

Tis a mystery!

The thing to remember is that it's NOT a traditional MMO. The expansions after the first one really removed the grinding aspect of it pretty much in total, so pretty much all you do is decide on builds, and try them out. You really have to think of a strategy for your character and what your focus is going to be, since you only get 8 skills out of the hundreds for each of your 2 classes. The starting zones are not really indicative at all, since you only have a paltry amount of skills there, it's MUCH better once you get into the meat of the game.

And in other news, Trackmania is fun as hell, guys. I think I might have to pick up the full version.

Pity that Eye of the North isn't in there. It's basically the definitive GW game if you ask me. All the awesome stuff (great locations, fun battles, hilariously bad story) and cuts out all the useless crap. You need a character that has finished a campaign to play it though. I bought it on sale for €5, and that was probably one of my best gaming purchases.

You only need a level 10 character (I think, I only brought characters through who had finished campaigns, but wiki says you only need to be level 10), you don't need to have finished any campaign. I always thought Factions had the better campaign. it was short, wasted no time on pointless plot threads, and just got you into the more fun level 20 content ASAP. The original game by far had the weakest campaign - you spent so much time following plot threads that went nowhere and just happened to start new plot threads on a whim. I know the story in any of the games isn't the best, but jeez, if you pay attention during prophecies, nothing really makes sense.

They're good games though, mostly if you know another person or two to play with, since playing with AI like a single player game is irritatingly dull. Though the meat of the game - competitive PVP - is pretty much dead from what I've heard from people who still play.

-Loki- on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I propose an elite run this following weekend for every who got in on the sale. At the very least, we need everyone who's a ranger or has a ranger sub class to get enraged lunge.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited November 2009
    Goddamnit, do NOT make me reinstall Guild Wars, I'm sick of losing my life to that game.

Ok, if we're doing elite capping from Factions/Nightfall I'm in, I already have all the Prophecies elites. Still don't have KoaBD.

Shit.

At any rate, I think I'll pass on Lucidity. Is there only one day left of the sale? Fingers crossed for either Torchlight or Serious Sam HD tomorrow. Or both.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fingers crossed for 75% off Aquaria

Alegis on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

and eufloria

RE: PoP:

the handholding was really just skipping the "you died, game over" text and reload to last checkpoint.

it cut out the 5 or so (100 for too human, tee hee) seconds that that usually takes. it didn't actually put you ahead or make the game easier. it just gave you a quicker way to try again.

for me, the appeal of PoP was, in the end, the collectathons for the light seeds. they'd built these amazing environments, and you had to figure out how to get around them to various obscure parts of the level. that, to me, was when PoP was most satisfying: the environment as puzzle. the fact that they had parts that really flowed as well was just gravy.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fingers crossed for 99% off everything.

Centipeed on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just wanted to say that Osmos is a nice game until the end. There's about 3 levels that are complete and utter fail, even when you random the layout to try to find something more favorable. I was having a great time until then.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    I only own prophecies and I think I might buy the whole set now even though I own the PvP pack.

Of course I'll fail my finals but that's ok.

T4CT on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

This is what I'm hoping for.

Tamin on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

Did you enter the inlog information correctly? I remember it having something stupid like removing the .com from your e-mail adress/plaync account.

Yeah, I tried both with and without the @ncsoft thing they added to my username. I did finally get in, though. I had to reset my password to do it.

SteevL on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Centipeed wrote: »

For about five minutes, everything on Steam will be absolutely free.

Of course, the servers will crash within seconds and no one will be able to cash in.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited November 2009

Of course, the servers will crash within seconds and no one will be able to cash in.

But that's five minutes Valve time, so the sale will be open for about six years.

Centipeed on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    F3:GotY 80% off!

I wish

RoyceSraphim on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    F3:GotY 80% off!

I wish

Is F3: GotY even ON Steam? I couldn't find it. It seems as though the Steam non-GotY version is actually more expensive than a retail F3: GotY.

===========

Question: Does EvE: Apocrypha include everything EvE-related? It seems like it from the description, but I want to be sure.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The servers wouldn't so much crash as literally burst into flames.
    But that's five minutes Valve time, so the sale will be open for about six years.

Well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is 75% off for Australians right now, and has been since late October.

The sale was meant to stop on November 2nd.

:rotate:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The servers wouldn't so much crash as literally burst into flames.

It'd be like a Bag o' Crap during a Wootoff.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I had to pick up the full Trackmania, I played the freeware one, and it was insanely fun, and I want the full cars and tracks and editor and the whole shebang. I spent so much time messing around in Streets of Simcity just because you could edit the town you drove around in, and now here's an actual good racing game with that!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that Osmos is a nice game until the end. There's about 3 levels that are complete and utter fail, even when you random the layout to try to find something more favorable. I was having a great time until then.

Which ones? I felt that way about a couple of them until I realized I just wasn't thinking it through properly. One of the levels that gave me shit for a while turned out to be my favorite. (The one on the ambient
    side where you start out in the middle of a super fucking tightly packed map where most everything is bigger than you.)

I've got a couple left to go on the gravity (left) side but I just find those mechanics more annoying than overly difficult.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fingers crossed for Torchlight tomorrow.

KimFidler on
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, looks like it's time to finally get World of Goo.
    Drez wrote: »
    Question: Does EvE: Apocrypha include everything EvE-related? It seems like it from the description, but I want to be sure.

All EvE expansions are free, so yes.

Bluefoot on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bluefoot wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

All EvE expansions are free, so yes.
    It even comes with the expansion that rolls out on Tuesday, in which "Downtime is expected to last for 19 hours " (read 2 days).

Sanders on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    T4CT wrote: »
    I'm really hoping this Guild Wars sale will spike interest in it again so I can play with people who aren't dumb thanks.

Man I tried to play Guild Wars one time. Started a tempest, looked at the skill list.

My God.

It's like a million variants of a few different effects. I don't have the brain to calculate combos with that stuff.

BlueDestiny on
    edited November 2009

Man I tried to play Guild Wars one time. Started a tempest, looked at the skill list.

My God.

It's like a million variants of a few different effects. I don't have the brain to calculate combos with that stuff.

I didn't mean that kind of dumb. I meant basic "hey let's not wander off on our own thanks" dumb.

Certainly GW's skill combos take a lot of getting used to but it's not too too bad. Once you start looking at what's actually viable the skill choices narrow considerably.

T4CT on
    edited November 2009
    Bluefoot wrote: »

It wasn't time to get it when it was essentially free?

Centipeed on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ghostbusters is really not made to be played with a mouse and keyboard. Look acceleration is still active in the PC version, which makes my mousing forearm hurt it's so unintuitive. Then there are game mechanics that require constant left or right look input, which is super easy to do with a console controller, but maddeningly irritating to do with a mouse.

Did they evern fucking playtest this shit?

Renzo on
    edited November 2009

My God.

I didn't mean that kind of dumb. I meant basic "hey let's not wander off on our own thanks" dumb.

Certainly GW's skill combos take a lot of getting used to but it's not too too bad. Once you start looking at what's actually viable the skill choices narrow considerably.

But the best thing is trying wacky builds that don't seem viable at all. I run using the small spammy Elementalist spells which everyone disregards over the big flashy nuke spells, and I get off a bunch of spells and actually kill dudes in the time it takes the other guy to cast Meteor.

I guess what I'm saying is that half the fun in the game comes from trying all the skills, calculating combos and junk isn't really necessary unless you're doing ridiculously hard stuff.

BUY THE GAME DAMNIT GUYS

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ghostbusters is really not made to be played with a mouse and keyboard. Look acceleration is still active in the PC version, which makes my mousing forearm hurt it's so unintuitive. Then there are game mechanics that require constant left or right look input, which is super easy to do with a console controller, but maddeningly irritating to do with a mouse.

Did they evern fucking playtest this shit?

They left out multiplayer on the PC version because they couldn't be assed to be "excellent in [their] execution." Whaddya think?

Zxerol on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, Lucidity. Is it worth $2.50?

Thetheroo on
    edited November 2009

My God.

BUY THE GAME DAMNIT GUYS

T4CT on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

My God.

But the best thing is trying wacky builds that don't seem viable at all. I run using the small spammy Elementalist spells which everyone disregards over the big flashy nuke spells, and I get off a bunch of spells and actually kill dudes in the time it takes the other guy to cast Meteor.

I guess what I'm saying is that half the fun in the game comes from trying all the skills, calculating combos and junk isn't really necessary unless you're doing ridiculously hard stuff.

BUY THE GAME DAMNIT GUYS

Oh definitely. It's always fun when you PUG (or was when people PUG'd) and have your Warrior decimate a bunch of guys, and by the time the Elementalists meteors start falling, they're all dead.

-Loki- on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Finally bought World of Goo.

august on
This discussion has been closed.