As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boo. Why does Steam make me hit it? "Oh, here, you can buy Civ 4 + expansions + Colonization for $20. Or, you can buy Colonization for $30. What's that? You already own Civ 4 + expansions? haha, sucks to be you"

/rant

Tamin on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Boo. Why does Steam make me hit it? "Oh, here, you can buy Civ 4 + expansions + Colonization for $20. Or, you can buy Colonization for $30. What's that? You already own Civ 4 + expansions? haha, sucks to be you"

/rant

But if you pay less, you get bonus Civ IV and expansions you can gift to someone

That someone being me
    no seriously come on

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can you gift something out of a bundle?

I thought you couldn't do that.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

/rant

But if you pay less, you get bonus Civ IV and expansions you can gift to someone

That someone being me
    no seriously come on

I'd buy it in a heart-beat if (a) I could afford it (I'm broke until the 23rd. Long story), and (b) I could gift the parts I already own. I have a number of people I'd like to play the game.

The OP makes it fairly clear that most games do not support the 'extra copies' gift process.

Tamin on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    It's 60€ to me, which is what I based my comment on.

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Roshin wrote: »

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

Genuine curiosity - why the comma? I've seen it used that way many hundreds of times; I usually assume it's not a typo, but I feel like asking for more context this time.

Tamin on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

Genuine curiosity - why the comma? I've seen it used that way many hundreds of times; I usually assume it's not a typo, but I feel like asking for more context this time.

Some foreign (non-US:P) countries switch the use of the comma and period with respect to numbers.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

Some foreign (non-US:P) countries switch the use of the comma and period with respect to numbers.

Numbers in general, or just monetary? Would you (or whomever) say "I have 5.900 items of X in stock" for the number five thousand, nine hundred?

Tamin on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I kinda want to get Dead Space for Halloween. $29 is alright, but not amazing, especially considering I've already played and completed it on the 360.

Someone look into their crystal ball and tell me if they think it's going down in price or going on sale sometime soon.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    $20 on amazon

EDIT: oh wait, that's only consoles

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I kinda want to get Dead Space for Halloween. $29 is alright, but not amazing, especially considering I've already played and completed it on the 360.

Someone look into their crystal ball and tell me if they think it's going down in price or going on sale sometime soon.

You mean Steam, right? If so, the end of year sale will have at least a 10% discount if not much more. Otherwise, just cross your fingers and hope. Steam specials are becoming increasingly common, so anything's possible.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I appreciate that, but I'm in Australia, where I'd have to take out a mortgage to buy a console game. Plus, no 360 here anyway. It was dirt cheap on Amazon a while back too, but there's just no easy way to get stuff ordered from Amazon down here.

Anyways, I'd rather have it for PC on steam.

Edit: Yeah, I'll probably go crazy during the end of year sale no matter what. I have lots of stuff to play now, but I just have a craving for spookiness and that's not well-represented on my games list.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't even know there was a PC version.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were to have an actual Halloween sale. Not certain that Dead Space is going to be on there, however.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Where the fuck is the Civ 4 complete pack? Says they're selling it for cheap, but I can't see it anywhere.

theSquid on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

Numbers in general, or just monetary? Would you (or whomever) say "I have 5.900 items of X in stock" for the number five thousand, nine hundred?

Not all countries use the period like americans do.

That's why Wolfenstein costs us 59,99€ and not 59.99€. ;-)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

I get that, but you are still referring to money amounts. Americans (or, me) say 5,900 for Five Thousand, Nine Hundred when referring to other numbers, while we say $59.00 when dealing with money. Delish says the usage is switched, and I was curious how far that switch goes.

Basically, the usage so far has been restricted to two pairs of double-digit numbers, the former implying whole amounts and the latter implying fractional amounts of the 1 represented in the whole.

Fact:
    1,99€
    11,99€
    111,99€

Speculation, based on Delish's comment.
    1.111,99€

And, additionally, this is still only money. If I had nearly one-thousand, two-hundred items in stock, would it be 1,199 or 1.199? Does the comma instantly connotate 'everything that follows is a fraction'?

Again, not trying to be a pest (and I'm aware this is quite a bit off topic), but I saw an opprotunity to learn something I've always been curious about.

Tamin on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes, 59,99€ here. Wow.

I get that, but you are still referring to money amounts. Americans (or, me) say 5,900 for Five Thousand, Nine Hundred when referring to other numbers, while we say $59.00 when dealing with money. Delish says the usage is switched, and I was curious how far that switch goes.

Basically, the usage so far has been restricted to two pairs of double-digit numbers, the former implying whole amounts and the latter implying fractional amounts of the 1 represented in the whole.

Fact:
    1,99€
    11,99€
    111,99€

Speculation, based on Delish's comment.
    1.111,99€

And, additionally, this is still only money. If I had nearly one-thousand, two-hundred items in stock, would it be 1,199 or 1.199? Does the comma instantly connotate 'everything that follows is a fraction'?

Again, not trying to be a pest (and I'm aware this is quite a bit off topic), but I saw an opprotunity to learn something I've always been curious about.

We use , and . the same way in all numbers. We don't reverse it just because it's money. Dot for thousands, comma for decimals.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's stupid

Why is your country so stupid

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question about Gifts:

If Helloween in the UK buys Borderlands for me on Steam and then Gifts it to me in Germany, that works,right?

Even though the game costs like half the money in the UK compared to Germany?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Question about Gifts:

If Helloween in the UK buys Borderlands for me on Steam and then Gifts it to me in Germany, that works,right?

Even though the game costs like half the money in the UK compared to Germany?

I have my friend in Australia gift me EA games to Japan, which still aren't available on the JP store. Dead Space worked fine.

I have heard some rumblings about it not working for some games. But if the game is available in Germany, just at an exuberant cost it should work fine.

On a side note, EA and LucasArts two of the few companies that I've seen who have priced their games at approximate conversion rates. Dead Space is 19,99 euros to 29.99 USD. Good sign for the future, perhaps.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's stupid

Actually we do that in Brazil too. I guess dots and commas are like that in most countries and only inverted in the US.

The US is the inverted place, most of the time, considering "how to do stuff". Including Football, measurement units, dots and commas...

But we still love you guys. Don't worry.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    The US is the inverted place, most of the time, considering "how to do stuff". Including Football, measurement units, dots and commas...

Damn young whippersnapper countries that aren't even 250 years old, still in their rebellious age. Get off mah lawn!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    America's the one that's got it right

The rest of the world is just being contrary

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So if I buy Red Faction this weekend for $10 is anyone else going to want to get some deathmatch going?

And by deathmatch I mean screwing around digging tunnels with rocket launchers and stuff?

you mean the original game?

Sure. Does it still work online?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's stupid

Actually we do that in Brazil too. I guess dots and commas are like that in most countries and only inverted in the US.

How do you say a number like 1.5 in portuguese? This might be the American talking, but I remember saying it as "um ponto cinco," which transliterates to "one point five."

That's probably wrong, though, but people still understood what I was saying.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How do you say a number like 1.5 in portuguese? This might be the American talking, but I remember saying it as "um ponto cinco," which transliterates to "one point five."

I have no idea about portuguese, but in danish, you'd say "en komma fem", which means "one comma five".

Peewi on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is a thrilling conversation we're having about Steam.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, any ideas on when the THQ deal of the day switches from Tuesday to Wednesday? I'm really hoping for Dawn of War II.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's stupid

Just to annoy Slim:
    We actually say both "um ponto cinco" and "um vírgula cinco". Thing is, the American way of using dots and commas has already contaminated our speech. The "correct" way would be the second one, and you should always write "1,5", but people will understand "um ponto cinco" in spoken conversations all the time. Dunno about Portgual, they're seriously francophiles there, and very old-fashioned too.

Anyways, back on topic, is CoH: ToV worth the cheaper price?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm annoyed
    Not really.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see Dyson was renamed to Eufloria and it still looks pretty.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Which is good...

Since every time I hear Dyson I keep thinking of "Tyson Chicken" and "Dyson Vacuums" o_O

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

Which is good...

Since every time I hear Dyson I keep thinking of "Tyson Chicken" and "Dyson Vacuums" o_O

Hahaha, I kept thinking of "dyson spheres."

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Which is good...

That's because...it was named after Dyson spheres. Dyson's just an English surname - one happening to be shared by a famous Physicist and a successful vaccum-designing industrial engineer.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »

Which is good...

That's because...it was named after Dyson spheres. Dyson's just an English surname - one happening to be shared by a famous Physicist and a successful vaccum-designing industrial engineer.

I remember reading about that on their "naming challenge" contest. Eufloria is a great choice.

I can't wait to try the game with the ambx light system and see how pronounce the light effects will be while playing the game.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Midweek deal? Really Steam? You already get like all my money.

Man I bought this pack, minus Colonization last Christmas for $25. I haven't played it once. I should have waited because Colonization sounds like the most interesting entry.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Midweek deal? Really Steam? You already get like all my money.

Man I bought this pack, minus Colonization last Christmas for $25. I haven't played it once. I should have waited because Colonization sounds like the most interesting entry.

I think the rap on colonization is that its decent if you're into playing Civ online multiplayer, but single player its just a watered down Civ4.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    So, any ideas on when the THQ deal of the day switches from Tuesday to Wednesday? I'm really hoping for Dawn of War II.

It just switched 5 minutes ago to Dawn of War II, right when I was considering picking up Tales of Valor.

Guess that made my decision for me.

edit_ all Dawn of War games are 50% off and CoH The Complete pack is still 50% off though that'll likely be fixed soon.

Sanders on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Congrats its Dawn of War 2.

Frankly I was hoping for original Dawn of War instead.

EDIT: OH WAIT IT IS

theSquid on
This discussion has been closed.