As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tam rises from the dead on [CHAT] page 99!

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Tam rises from the dead on [CHAT] page 99!

Does this mean that Tam is the new Jesus?

I dunno, I would think the creation of a religion where billions of followers worshiped Tam would be pretty solid proof of the non-existence of God.

T A M P A R A D O X

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    That was me. I could use to do some more studies myself! They always help.

Also, these damn ventrillo conferences I'm doing for this indie game are BORING AS SHIT. All they talk about is boring game crap with numbers and junk....

Oh well... (Im on the clock, suckers...)

Hah, welcome to the wonderful world of video game development!

At least you're just telecommuting, so you can just take your pants off and look at naked girls while the programmers go on about matrices or whatever it is they go on about.

For real! I have no clue what the fuck they're talking about. And then this other technical guy came in, and they were all like 'just in time, we were just talking about the art'

Oh well, I'm drawing monsters not related to the game and getting paid.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know this should be obvious, but I cannot figure out why the brush I am using is not behaving as I have instructed it to.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    T A M P A R A D O X

TAMPAX, for short.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hate to say it, but that's what I was thinking too.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hi fivez!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tam's extranatural powers stem from the mind of someone other than himself, so the real question is, who is he the messiah for.

yes, I just made up the word extranatural. I declare poetic license in the name of the Book of Tam.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    srsizzy wrote:
    Tam's extranatural powers stem from the mind of someone other than himself, so the real question is, who is he the messiah for.

English teachers and jerk wads.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay this is seriously frustrating the shit out of me. The fucking setting says opacity jitter pen pressure.

So why

is the opacity

not jittering

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sometimes it's as simple as restarting PS. Sometimes you need to reinstall the drivers from the wacom website.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay this is seriously frustrating the shit out of me. The fucking setting says opacity jitter pen pressure.

So why

is the opacity

not jittering

It happens. Try this:

Restart Photoshop.
    If that doesn't work,
    Unplug and then replug in your tablet.
    If that doesn't work,
    Reboot.
    If that doesn't work,
    Reinstall the tablet drivers.

If none of that works, I don't know what to tell you.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah. Okay. There it goes.

That's...funny. I've never seen a program lose partial functionality.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just woke up, oh my god I thought I was fixing my sleep schedule how did I slleep 12 hours

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember photoshop, especially CS3 being a bitch about tablet functionality occasionally, especially if you did anything else on the PC while the program was launching.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Laying in tones when the reference photo has no tones was, uh...a bad idea.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speakin of tablets, i lost my tablet mouse so everything i do is with the tablet pen.

Its...incredibly frustrating

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I forgot I even had a tablet mouse until you reminded me just now.

Also google has some pretty shitty skulls on its image search. Any ideas? Surely there's a kickass reference out there somewhere.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    edit: ok refresh before posting. Not sure about skulls.

maybe don't work off photos for a while? They can actually be quite difficult to use as references unless the lighting is particularly definite, because they tend to flatten out forms and perspective and can generally be a bit deceptive.

Also, using a drawing or painting can give you considerable insight into how other artists go about things.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    These are terrible skulls. They look like doodles.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well what sort of photo references should you use?

Not everyone has the oppurtunity to go to a life drawing class, there must be a site out there somewhere that has some pics

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am using this.

http://www.gomediazine.com/wp-content/images/2008/09/free-skull-photos-preview.jpg

Also, on an unrelated note, I called my boss a shrimpy little cocksucker last night and this morning I'm apparently being offered my job back. I'm supposed to start on November 1st. I feel like it's probably a trap of some sort.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man school is so funny.
    today i had an assignment to hand in for intro to visual culture on bricolage
    they asked us to use newspaper as our medium and collage images and text together to create an image with all new meaning, but still works in the same context as the original images (so...could fit into a newspaper)

so since it was newspaper, a form of communication being killed off by the internet, i decided to do my project on how the internet has changed our perception of imagery. In my write up, I cited a bunch of internet memes like failblog and lolcats
    then i took a pic of daniel craig and hugh jackman and added the text "hey ur sexy i want to chat u" to it
    and then another pic of obama with a bunch of other world leaders, and changed the focal point to a woman in the back by adding a speech bubble to the side of her head with an emoticon in it, exaggerating her facial expression.
    I did this huge analytical write up with it as requested to explain my motivation and goals with the project

so i show the other people in my class and they're like "man, that's too simple, you didn't put enough work into it, i did this massive collage"
    so i'm like "well, what do you mean, how did it follow the guidelines of the project?"
    and they were like "well i used some political imagery"
    one guy did a giant umbrella made out of newspaper
    how would that possible fit into the same context as imagery in a flat paper?

anyways, guess who got positive comments from the ta on their "too simple" work?
    ME!

the simplicity of LOLcats= 1
    making overly complex imagery with flakey artsy interpretations=0

beavotron on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am using this.

http://www.gomediazine.com/wp-content/images/2008/09/free-skull-photos-preview.jpg

Also, on an unrelated note, I called my boss a shrimpy little cocksucker last night and this morning I'm apparently being offered my job back. I'm supposed to start on November 1st. I feel like it's probably a trap of some sort.

given that you mentioned possible money laundering there... i would not accept that job back.

@tam: if you read this, what is your opinion of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    man school is so funny.

God art school is stupid.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself though.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    man school is so funny.

God art school is stupid.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself though.

it is pretty dumb
    but i gotta say, drawing is good for me
    i did a study of a renaissance painter's sketch and dear god
    it was the most humbling experience of my life.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    but i gotta say, drawing is good for me
    i did a study of a renaissance painter's sketch and dear god
    it was the most humbling experience of my life.

Sounds like it's not all bullshit then. :^:

Drawing is good.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Put those artfags in their place, beavo.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    yeah drawing is really great so far
    we did work from a model yesterday that was nice
    contour work, which i've never done with a model. I've only ever done gesture and like, tonal renderings with the model, not contour. It was challenging, I liked it.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Beavotron wrote:
    they asked us to use newspaper as our medium and collage images and text together to create an image with all new meaning, but still works in the same context as the original images (so...could fit into a newspaper)

See I would've walked out right here.

Honestly, I'm sure there is some purpose to it, but jesus, it's just screaming "I don't know what to teach you guys, so fuck it, let's cut up some magazines!"

Mustang on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I am using this.

I mostly have animal skulls but I believe I may have a lit human skull thats alright in here somewhere:
    http://irukatheslayer.deviantart.com/favourites/#Skulls-

Iruka on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    i think it's teaching them that being a pretentious dick will get you nowhere if you don't pay attention to the commission parameters.

Seems like a valuable lesson, actually.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Beavotron wrote:

See I would've walked out right here.

Honestly, I'm sure there is some purpose to it, but jesus, it's just screaming "I don't know what to teach you guys, so fuck it, let's cut up some magazines!"

this is what i thought too
    till i sat down to do it
    and started thinking about it
    then i kind of had a lot of fun with it, and learned quite a bit about changing the focal point of an image, which is something i can apply to my illustration work.

tynic: exactly!

i find it amazing that so far my take on art school is not at all what i expected from it
    i'm getting more out of it than i thought and i think it might be because i already have a goal and direction in my life
    i'm actively working in my career
    so everything i learn, in my head, i'm applying to what I already know I want to do, which makes everything really fun and informative.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I guess, it just gives me horrible flashbacks to high school art and HR courses about sunshine and love.
    E: Also I wouldn't have walked out, because I am a big pussy who doesn't stick to his convictions, but I would've rolled my eyes vigorously.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I call beard on Charis.

For anyone to spend so much effort to annoy everyone around them so much by constantly bringing up that they're dating and fucking, they would either be attempting to masquerade something or trying to overcompensate for other shortcomings in their relationship.

Just because I'm anal and like to prove people wrong. ;)

Here we are.

I like to think that it shows the passion of our relationship, and really conveys the power of love.

But, seriously this time, this is us

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    radar god damn you

god damn you and your sweet passionate tiger love

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You guys have a tiger! Cool.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, Iruka!

Now I gotta do studies off this to make my studies on that other thing better.

Man this is like way more work than I was prepared for.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You fucker.
    How the hell did I fall for that twice?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wow the thread is advancing rather quickly.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
This discussion has been closed.