As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a new xbox 360 game.

BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am in need of a new 360 game. I currently am playing Sacred 2 and Madden 10. I just finished Hitman Blood Money and Stranglehold. I have also played most of the RPGs and most of the tripple A titles I am looking for a game that is long and has somewhat of a story. Any type of genre is fine. A game with good multiplayer would be great but not necessary. Thanks in advance.

Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
BathTubb on

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did you play 'Lost Odyssey'?

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Did you play 'Lost Odyssey'?

Yes, I did. I haven't played anything that has come out with in the last 6 months except Scared 2

BathTubb on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brutal Legend comes out in just over 2 weeks. The demo on XBL was pretty awesome. I hear great things about the new Batman game, too.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2. Fun either solo or coop, and you can do the multiplayer either local or over Live.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2. Fun either solo or coop, and you can do the multiplayer either local or over Live.

I was going to recommend this. Good, relatively simple gameplay that's lots of fun co op and a decent enough story.

Quid on
  • Options
    Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Call of Duty: World at War!

Nazi zombies man!

Reservoir Angel on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brutal Legend comes out in just over 2 weeks. The demo on XBL was pretty awesome. I hear great things about the new Batman game, too.

It is indeed great.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

It is indeed great.

How long is Batman? I heard it is not that long 5-10 hours.

BathTubb on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BIO

SHOCK

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Batman game probably take you about 10hours, but the challenge maps are fun. I personally enjoy the combat ones, you just beat swarms of goons.

Berserkis on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    for a good length story and longer gameplay i'd say mass effect or bioshock.]
    if you haven't tried out fallout 3 give that a shot aswell.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know what my exact time was, but Batman did not seem super short to me. Especially if you don't cheat by looking at walkthroughs and find all of the Riddler's puzzles on your own, its a decent length game. Also, it has a first-rate story and great voice acting.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got Batman a few days after it launched, and I'm still playing it, though YMMV.

If you're looking for super-long playtime, Fallout 3 would probably be a good bet. Mass Effect is a lot of bang for your buck, I think it's down to like $20 now.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You want a long game with a story... I'd recommend Fallout 3, or perhaps renting Batman: AA.

Also, in November, Modern Warfare 2 comes out. It should have good single player but as with the case of COD4 focus on multiplayer. It will probably be game of the year and similar to crack cocaine: it is essentially an MMOFPS. Even more customization than before.

(...I'm kind of partial to MW2 from what I've seen.)

Black Ice on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    You want a long game with a story... I'd recommend Fallout 3, or perhaps renting Batman: AA.

Also, in November, Modern Warfare 2 comes out. It should have good single player but as with the case of COD4 focus on multiplayer. It will probably be game of the year and similar to crack cocaine: it is essentially an MMOFPS. Even more customization than before.

(...I'm kind of partial to MW2 from what I've seen.)
    'host migration' is probably the best two-word phrase i've heard all year

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ghostbusters and Batman are two of the best games in the 360's stable. Batman's not the longest game but it's exactly as long as it needs to be -- the story is incredibly well-written (by one of the lead writers for Batman: the Animated Series, tho I forget the name of the guy) and the voice acting is top-notch. And there's all sorts of little touches that make it amazing.

Ghostbusters, likewise, was written primarily by both Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd, and also like Batman it has A-list voice acting from original cast members.

I daresay that 2009 should be known as the year console developers decided to stop simply cashing in on existing intellectual properties and instead sought to be heavily influenced by the creative minds that gave birth to those properties to create great stories to contextualize great gameplay. But I'm sure next year we'll see another shitty game based on Iron Man 2 or whatever is coming out.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would get The Force Unleashed, if you've never played it. It's short, but it really captures the feel of being a badass jedi and fighting guys. On the higher difficulties it hits that perfect "hard as fuck but still fun" spot.

Also you can probably buy it for like ten bucks at this point

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll throw my suggestion in for Fallout 3 or Gears 2. Also, Braid, if you haven't played it yet.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I completely forgot that I haven't played the awesomeness of Bio-Shock. I am going pick up that and probably Fallout 3. Thanks again.

BathTubb on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to go ahead and un-reccomend Ghostbusters. I played the first 2 levels and just couldn't do it anymore. The big ghost battles were fun, but there was just too much video game bullshit going on for me to buy it as a Ghostbusters story. And the mechanics clashed with what the game told you do and expected you to do.

I wanted to love it, but it just isn't very good.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fallout 3 would be a great choice. It's pretty lengthy, and I really enjoy it. I'm working on my second play through right now.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you plan on buying Fallout I'd hold out for a couple more weeks for the GOTY edition. Comes with all the expansions.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    If you plan on buying Fallout I'd hold out for a couple more weeks for the GOTY edition. Comes with all the expansions.

Yeah I saw that when I went into GS yesterday. I picked up the bioshock/oblivion combo pack.

BathTubb on