As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy: Just call it "Kingdom Hearts DS" and save yourself the trouble

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Someone will upload it within minutes.

Besides its Just FF XIII.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You have the worst opinions in the world.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Are you forgetting the fact that half the regulars in this thread aren't particularly excited for XIII anymore with how awful the first trailer was? He's not alone in his opinion
    For once.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He's still right despite that.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2009

Since you're agreeing with me I've got some nice lake front FFTA/FFTA 2 property to sell you. Much nicer than that piece of shit FFT plot adjecent to the indian burial ground sewage treatment plant and airport...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Lord, what a terrible idea. Just picture hundreds of people crowding the screens with dance animations and endless texts of "FF SUX DIK!". Kind of like.....
    Zerokku wrote: »

Are you forgetting the fact that half the regulars in this thread aren't particularly excited for XIII anymore with how awful the first trailer was? He's not alone in his opinion
    For once.

I must have forgotten, because last I checked most people here were excited for FFXIII.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Since you're agreeing with me I've got some nice lake front FFTA/FFTA 2 property to sell you. Much nicer than that piece of shit FFT plot adjecent to the indian burial ground sewage treatment plant and airport...

I don't...that doesn't even make sense.

Also I wasn't agreeing with you.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2009
    I know!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, what? After FF XII I has zero interest in the new game until I saw some of the trailers. Particularly after the TGS one, I'm actually excited about this game.

Though I'm more interested in DQ IX. Damn it.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See now that's someone with some good taste. Didn't like FF XII and wants DQ IX.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I must have forgotten, because last I checked most people here were excited for FFXIII.

Well me, XoB, And rust for sure and I'm pretty sure there were a couple others who were saying "Wow, this is laughably bad."
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Wait, what? After FF XII I has zero interest in the new game until I saw some of the trailers. Particularly after the TGS one, I'm actually excited about this game.

Thats what killed my excitement. The trailer gives off the impression that the plot is like some ridiculously bad anime, complete with the mind numbing over the top melodrama to boot.

Don't get me wrong I'm still getting it, and praying the end result isn't as bad as it looks, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Final Fantasy has always been heavily melodramatic. Except XII, but that's because they forgot about the plot halfway through.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Final Fantasy has always been heavily melodramatic. Except XII, but that's because they forgot about the plot halfway through.

As Rust put it -
    Of course the old games have melodrama. How the hell else are you supposed to convey emotion with tiny sprites and a few lines of text.

Thats a far cry from soap operaesque teen angst.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    to clarify, the enhanced technology for games like FFXIII would ideally be used to make less melodrama, not more

i mean with those faces alone you could model expressions that would be more striking than an entire paragraph of expositional dialogue

instead we get people literally waving their arms at each other and screaming THERE ARE NO ANSWERS and WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO, it's almost painful to watch sometimes

squall had more restraint than this when he went off

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm fairly sorry that I got the thread talking about this for another page.

Hmm, something else to talk about...

How about how cash Laguna is?

How cash is he?

So cash.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

As Rust put it -
    Of course the old games have melodrama. How the hell else are you supposed to convey emotion with tiny sprites and a few lines of text.

Thats a far cry from soap operaesque teen angst.

I think you might be citing your sources wrong there.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MegaDoomerMegaDoomer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i actually cant wait for this to come out... it is coming out on Xbox360 right?

MegaDoomer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, it is.

Man...I hope FFXIII is announced for March...with Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, it would be like some kind of perfect storm of RPGs for me.

Oh yeah...throw End of Eternity in there somewhere...it'll be okay. And Crystal Bearers if the reviewers were full of it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm excited for it, but its a little too hi-tech for my tastes.

Anyway I beat Kingdom Hearts DS. It dragged in the begining and the middle, but was quite good torward the end. The gameplay was solid throughout and I cared about the characters at the end. Horrible pacing though.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I tend to like the more modern worlds myself.

I think my favorite FF world if you just look at the world and not the atmosphere was FF8s. Just because I really like the idea of flying mercenary schools.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think you might be citing your sources wrong there.

Quite possibly, its been two months since the discussion. I just remember the Soap operaesque teen angst comment, as I used that to describe it a couple times after seeing it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So we're reaching the limit on this thread, but as you can see I'm unable to make a new one until the jail status is reset. That happens on December 12th, so if you guys are willing to wait until then, I'll be happy to resume thread duties at that time.

In the meantime you could give me suggestions on how to improve the OP. Would you prefer most of it to be filled with FFXIII info?

Thing is I'm sort of in an FFXIII blackout, but I don't mind a character dossier and so forth.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I'm just crazy, but I feel like it'd be awesome if the next thread wasn't chock full of Kingdom Hearts chatter. I know it has some Final Fantasy characters in it, but it's not an FF title at all.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This has always been more of a general Square Enix thread, hasn't it? We also talk about stuff like Vagrant Story in here.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KH is totally an FF game. It has to be. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's part of the FF7 Cannon.

Houn on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    KH is totally an FF game. It has to be. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's part of the FF7 Cannon.

Shut up before someone takes you seriously.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But it makes so much sense

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote: »

crisiscorefinalfantasyvf.jpg

I see nothing related to Kingdom Hearts here.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you squint you can see a Heartless in one of the building windows.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's so obviously Hollow Bastion.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cid basically said "Fuck it, we need to think big for this town defense system."

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We may want a new thread for tomorrow.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well me, XoB, And rust for sure and I'm pretty sure there were a couple others who were saying "Wow, this is laughably bad."

Yeah, I'm on that list, too. Looks like a mash-up of VIII and X. Just typing that made me vomit in my own mouth.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    This has always been more of a general Square Enix thread, hasn't it? We also talk about stuff like Vagrant Story in here.

Vagrant Story is in Ivalice though, so even if you don't consider it an FF game, its much closer to FF than KH is.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Oh you tease.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Vagrant Story is in Ivalice though, so even if you don't consider it an FF game, its much closer to FF than KH is.

Well one of them shares the name of a location, but certainly doesn't share any of the heritage associated with it.

The other shares about a dozen characters, but certainly doesn't carry much of their backstory over with them.

I'd say it evens out.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kor wrote: »

Well one of them shares the name of a location, but certainly doesn't share any of the heritage associated with it.

Its a story set in the same world. I'd say that part of the "heritage" of Ivalice, if I'm understanding you correctly. Lea Monde (where VS takes place) is in Valendia, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Shouldn't we have a new now, not wait for tomorrow?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm mostly talking about how the newer Ivalice games come with a variety of humanoid species.

If you wanted to tell me VS and FFT share the same world, I'd totally buy it. If you wanted to tell me VS and FFTA2 share the same world, I'd tell you to go fuck yourself.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The mods usually let these threads slide for up to 105, sometimes 110 pages. In the off chance it does get locked during some key info, then someone else can make the next thread.

I'm willing to listen to leaving out the KH stuff, even though I don't think it takes up too much talk in these threads, plus like someone said, it's got FF characters in it. I consider it a half-spin-off all things considered.

I'm hoping BBS shows the crew living in Hollow Bastion before the Heartless wreck it, as well as Cloud's story.