As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LA-MULANA 1 & 2 out now on Switch, Xbox One, PS4!

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    So be careful in the Corridor Of Blood. Someone on the steam forums said it happened to them when they crouched but I was just walking. I have dubbed this the MAGIC PANTS glitch.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOtQOw04rI"

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Remember: sometimes the judgement eye means you need to avoid whipping things in the chamber

But sometimes, you know what fuck it whip all the things and see what happens

I have solved at least one puzzle because getting zapped let me know that there was something I should be doing in there.

Also, update on good news bad news: I have decided to press forward with operation "use the thing on all the things". Once I have found the last thing I need to use the thing on I will proceed with "randomly input answers (because I didn't have the clues in the first place)". This has worked before and it will work again.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Holy crap I spent way too much time overthinking the whip upgrade puzzle.

• Options
    Ah, I was starting to wonder where all the bullshit was.

It's here in the Takamagahara Shrine.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Ok I finally got to play
    I am in second zone
    It's fun to move around
    No real puzzles necessary to beat the first area~

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    Ah, I was starting to wonder where all the bullshit was.
    It's here in the Takamagahara Shrine.

No, they just put a little in there after they ran out of space to cream bullshit into in another, later area.
    Except for one room which has a moving platform directly over a ladder from another zone. I climbed up that shit and was instantly crushed.

Garthor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I guess I'm going to stay out of the thread because it appears to be open spoilers. Can the OP mark the thread title as such for future people to be warned ahead of time?

Edit - To be clear, in a game that's supposed to be full of surprises, going "WATCH OUT HERE" even if it's cheeky is ruining that surprise.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I didn't plan for it to to be open spoilers, and in retrospect I really should've indicated that. Is it too late to ask people to keep their spoilers hidden so anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled doesn't have to be?

• Options
    I'm trying to avoid giving any spoilers entirely, unless place names count as spoilers?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Actually yeah I guess I can see that being kind of a spoiler, sorry.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Hell yeah, just got the

(Item ability that was in La Mulana 1 but also reappears here)
    double jump ability

Time to bust this game wide open.

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I was showing my friend the trailer for this game, and this is how I learned
    I could swing around those ice pillars in Icefire Treetop. Good to know 15 hours in.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    I watched a bit of some random stream of someone playing this game. He weren't particularly far in, and then he gave up.
    After playing something like 12 hours, they had the shurikens, the knife, two sacred orbs, and the grapple claw. That's it. I tuned in to see him basically doing a failure tour of all the stuff he "couldn't" get, which obviously he could've. Including one instance of someone explicitly asking him to try crawling under the laser and him going "no, you can't do that".

It was sort of amazing how he was almost completely unable to make the jump to any puzzle that wasn't "put weight on pedestal".

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    So I've finally bested my fourth Guardian, and they were a whole lot tougher than the first three!
    Jormungand was a blast to fight once I got the hang of it, too. Also I love how the La-Mulana interpretation of a giant Norse dragon is a huge motorized unicycle piloted by a gun-wielding robot soldier.

• Options
    Ugh i'm kind of stumped. No idea where to go next. I've got maybe 6 or 7 puzzles I know of but don't have the tools to complete them.

• Options
    So I've finally bested my fourth Guardian, and they were a whole lot tougher than the first three!
    Jormungand was a blast to fight once I got the hang of it, too. Also I love how the La-Mulana interpretation of a giant Norse dragon is a huge motorized unicycle piloted by a gun-wielding robot soldier.
    While I eventually got there, this is probably the most frustrated I have been with a videogame in awhile. It sure didnt help that I was tired, so some of my retries ended with me forgetting to "use" the damn key

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Alright time to do this systematically. Up til now i've just been relying on memory + the ingame text saving thing. I'm stuck though, so now to start writing down what I know about each room in a notepad with screenshots. Dunno if it'll work to help find what i'm missing but it'll be good to have it all down somewhere when I need to go back later.

E: Nope, didn't help. Now i've got all that stumping me down in words but I still dunno how to solve them.
    Pretty sure my next goal is to get the Storm Vase. Once I have that I can get the cog which will let me get the lamp of time, both of which will open several more areas. I'm fairly sure the vase is in the Immortal Battlefield's Buried Fortress Right Side, but I need to use a mantra in the Corona Arsenal above it to open the drop and I have no idea which combination it is. There's also a red eye that zaps you on incorrect ones so I can't exactly brute force it without a lot of time investment. I might not even have the correct mantra yet.

Moon is the main mantra I need for a bunch of stuff, and I talked to Thoth who said that it was just the word for Sun but that didn't give me anything. Maybe I have to use the sun mantra somewhere else to unlock moon? Hell if I know where though, he also says that there's a map that makes unread mantra locations glow red on the map but I don't think I have the ROMs for that. I just have the base map and the one that adds door/fairy/npc room icons.

Another tack I could take is grinding out the 1000 gold to buy the harp, which might do something. I'd need to figure out how to summon the prosperity fairy though, I don't know how to do that. I can only get the health restore ones despite having saved both the weapon and prosperity fairies as well.

Bluhhhhhhhh this is a bit of a bummer. Don't want to look up things but we'll see how long this lasts.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Beat the game, hard mode.

Final playtime was 77 hours (according to steam, 72 in-game so that's about 5 hours lost on reloading saves I guess). Ouch.

Hard mode wasn't really worth it.

Also, regarding Aistan's troubles, nothing very spoilery:
    For summoning fairies, you just have to touch the spot and, if the sparkles aren't for the appropriate fairy type, leave the screen. That cancels the summon. I think you have time to do this on any fairy spot but some are much easier than others.

As for your progress, a small teeny tiny hint:
    Room names are important. Some more than others.

Alternatively: you CAN brute force your way past where you are right now. That's what I ended up doing. You will have to do some more guesswork later (but it's not quite as bad as the mantra) but you won't get dead-ended.

Garthor on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Some advice about Nidhogg that could have saved me some time early on:
    He isn't gated by weapon power, or item access, or even health. He's gated entirely by ammunition count. Take him out the moment that you can afford to do so.

• Options
    Yeahhhhh

I ended up looking up two things.
    Location of the Moon mantra, and what the mantra combo for the Buried Fortress was. In the process of the latter I also accidentally saw how to get to the Underworld and some of the puzzles down there. I very specifically haven't used the mantra combo there yet though because I want to get to the point where i'd unlock it organically. Except that's apparently a dozen years in the future because I need to grind up 1000 gold for the harp then play the song for the stone lady then do a thing with a boss and then finally that tablet shows up. Hours and hours and a completely different area removed from where I needed it.

None of these things I would have figured out on my own, so I guess it's fine. A bit of a bummer but whatever. What's happened now though is after I do those things I run into even more horseshit that I don't understand how i'm supposed to have figured out.

Like, the thing with the fairies.
    Every time I went to one it was just a health fairy, so I figure that hey you probably need a ROM combination to get the other fairies. Except... apparently not? If you just keep resetting it by leaving the room before the fairy appears and coming back eventually you'll get the battle, then prosperity, then key fairies? What the fuck why would I ever think to do that? Especially since you need to do it four times in a row to first get a different fairy.

Or the thing with how the map is structured.
    Very specifically the dragon's neck being in the jaws of a demon thing. What the hell is up with that bullshit? First i'd have to make the connection that the symbols when you read the grail tablets correspond to the shape of the area. So, the shrine is in the shape of a dragon and heaven's labyrinth is in the shape of a demon. And the spot in the shrine that is the neck of the dragon you know is connected to the labyrinth somehow because there's a tablet saying "where is this?" that was written by the third children who are from Heaven's Labyrinth and obviously the only way one of them could have arrived there is if they flew up from it. Obviously. It's so easy. And these two areas are of course nowhere near the spot in the Underworld where you read the hint so naturally they'll be the first spots to come to mind.

Hope i'm not burning out on it but my enthusiasm has lessened greatly after initially enjoying it quite a bit to start.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    La Mulana 1:
    I'm playing the Wiiware version, and I'm at the Graveyard of the Giants. The normal path to the grail tablet is permanently locked off, but they added a way to get there with the bombs. But the bombs are in another part of the Graveyard I can't get to. But apparently I also can't reach the bombs from the grail tablet anyway. So how do I get the bombs? The wiki is absolutely no help, it's just telling me about a bunch of shortcuts involving bombing walls.

EDIT: Nevermind for now, I just figured out how to progress in the Tower of the Goddess, maybe that'll do it... Stupid ladder girders...

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    Regarding those:
    For the fairies, you just don't know unless you learned to do it in the first game.

For the shape of the areas... well, it's made very clear later on, and you don't actually need the Lamp of Time the moment you're capable of getting it. It's a huge tease, though.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Pretty early on, two guardians defeated
    I am highly suspicious that the ability to push blocks is found somewhere in block pushing central, Annfwn. However all the puzzles are gated behind either Birth seals or the poison gas room. I see a pressure plate that I suspect the rolling knives from the first game will handle, but my sub weapons are caltrops, stars and spears. At first I kept on exploring, but it’s become clear in the Gate Of The Dead I should have block pushing by now and seals past Origin. After going through the whole West side of Annfwn several times and even finding the fairy king/unlocking the ankh I know there must be something eluding me. Just gotta know if I got to stop being dumb here, or go looking somewhere else for the Birth seal/rolling knives.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I am highly suspicious that the ability to push blocks is found somewhere in block pushing central, Annfwn. However all the puzzles are gated behind either Birth seals or the poison gas room. I see a pressure plate that I suspect the rolling knives from the first game will handle, but my sub weapons are caltrops, stars and spears. At first I kept on exploring, but it’s become clear in the Gate Of The Dead I should have block pushing by now and seals past Origin. After going through the whole West side of Annfwn several times and even finding the fairy king/unlocking the ankh I know there must be something eluding me. Just gotta know if I got to stop being dumb here, or go looking somewhere else for the Birth seal/rolling knives.

I gained that ability totally by accident but if I didn’t I easily could have missed it forever, committing one of the classic la-Mulana blunders of “oh I understand this, I need an item for it, time to come back when I get it”

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

Stupid cryptic hint:
    What you seek is within your grasp, you need only to comprehend the message.

Actual hint:
    Keep searching Annfwn.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    okay, there we go.

turns out I did the right thing, just not long enough for the ancients to approve

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I gained that ability totally by accident but if I didn’t I easily could have missed it forever, committing one of the classic la-Mulana blunders of “oh I understand this, I need an item for it, time to come back when I get it”

This is one of the things that annoys me the most about both games - you aren't given any indication of whether or not a puzzle is solvable with what you have. So I have to make a blind choice of whether I'm going to sit here and think really hard about it, or just move on. And if I do move on, I'll write myself a note about what the puzzle was, but I don't really know what I was missing so I won't know at what point to come back to it. Over time the number of such puzzles adds up to a lot of aimless trial and error.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I've always been more directionally challenged in games and remembering where things are. If I ever decide to pick up La-Mulana 2 I'm probably going to make paper maps for each area and use a spreadsheet for room details (seals, chests, seemingly important passages from scans, etc.) rather than winging it like I did with the first game.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    I like that there's a way to save text from NPCs and tablets in your computer, but it sucks that you're limited in how many you can save. The alternative is that I just screenshot everything anyway which has the same result so just let me save as many logs as I want to.

• Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I've always been more directionally challenged in games and remembering where things are. If I ever decide to pick up La-Mulana 2 I'm probably going to make paper maps for each area and use a spreadsheet for room details (seals, chests, seemingly important passages from scans, etc.) rather than winging it like I did with the first game.

Yeah taking notes is 100% required if you don't want to be glued to a walkthrough. Be very thorough. I just maintained a Google Doc and listed row/column numbers. Write down everything of interest, or record it in-game, and only delete things that you're certain you've solved already.

• Options
    I'm confused about one puzzle. I don't necessarily want the solution, but i'm just going to type out my thought process with it to see if that helps me any.

It's in the Ancient Chaos.
    The thing with the statue of Brahma
    So I have the vase/battery and I activated the mechanism and now there's the four pedestals each one corresponding to an Age and one pedestal that turns the face in the middle. There's also an image of an Ox in the middle that has a number of feet depending on which side of the face in the middle is facing forward.

I saw a tablet that said the number of ox hooves is equal to the amount of virtue.
    I saw a tablet that says Sata Yuga is the gold age, when all virtue is overflowing.
    I saw a tablet that says Kali Yuga is the age of steel, where virtue disappeared.
    I saw a tablet that says Treta Yuga is the age of silver, when virtue declined.
    I saw a tablet that says Dvapara Yuga is the age of copper, when virtue and sin are in balance.

So, Sata Yuga = full virtue = 4 hooves, Treta Yuga= less virtue = 3 hooves, Dvapara Yuga = equal virtue and sin = 2 hooves, Kali Yuga = barely any virtue = 1 hoof.

This also lines up with which faces are facing forward. When four hooves are visible there's a gold face which also corresponds to Sata Yuga. Similarly for all the other three and their respective materials.

So I try it.

When the gold face is facing forward I put a weight on the Sata Yuga pedestal.

And a skull stone drops down.

Huh... weird. Well, maybe that's just what happens?

I turn the face in the middle, it becomes silver with three hooves, I put a weight on Treta Yuga and another skull stone drops down.

Turn again, copper two hooves, Dvapara yuga. Again, steel one hoof, Kali Yuga.

Nothing happens. All the stones are down, they are all skulls, nothing happens. If I leave the room and re-enter it just resets to empty.

I think maybe I need to do something with the altars out in the world first, with the rotating calendars and the spikes that pop up when it's the wrong age. Nothing happened when I put the weight down when it was on the correct age though, the spikes just stay down until it rotates out of that age then the spikes pop up and the pedestal resets. I try pausing time on the correct age then putting the weight on, but the calendar continues to rotate while time is paused and when time resumes the spikes just pop up and the pedestal resets. I try putting the weight on when the correct age is up then pausing time, same thing the calendar continues to rotate.

So I have no idea what to do.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    A word of warning to everyone else playing this: today’s update seems to have created at least a couple new bugs. I ran into one earlier where it wasn’t properly registering that I’d killed a certain boss, and found several people with the exact same issue posting about it on the reddit today. Now I’m waiting for it to be patched so I don’t screw up my save file.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Look at this shit.
    Hi everyone who is enjoying La-Mulana 2!

We will be updating La-Mulana 2 today with a series of bug fixes and adjustments. But before this update goes live, we would like for everyone to backup their save data.

Since the update is automatic on Steam, please do this asap.

You should be able to locate your save data in the following folder:

Windows
    C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\LocalLow\NIGORO\LaMulana2

Mac
    Macintosh HD\Users\[user_name]\Library\Application Support\unity.NIGORO.LaMulana2\

I'm glad Celeste has me busy because that is...silly. Especially on a platform that automatically updates your game.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Look at this shit.

We will be updating La-Mulana 2 today with a series of bug fixes and adjustments. But before this update goes live, we would like for everyone to backup their save data.

Windows

Mac
    Macintosh HD\Users\[user_name]\Library\Application Support\unity.NIGORO.LaMulana2\

I'm glad Celeste has me busy because that is...silly. Especially on a platform that automatically updates your game.

Yeah, when I saw this tweeted out this morning, I thought "oh man, people are not going to be happy about this." Kinda glad I haven't started playing the game yet.

• Options
    Look at this shit.

Windows

Mac

La Mulana 2 sure is getting meta with its puzzles.

• Options
    Well great, there's a bug where killing a certain miniboss doesn't actually flag it as killed. So it doesn't open the chest and if you grail out and come back to the room it respawns.

Guess i'm not playing til there's another patch.

• Options
    I would never be convinced that that was a bug for this game

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Normally you'd be right, but it drops xp and gold each time I kill it. And it also doesn't reliably respawn each time I return. Sometimes the doors close and the health bar comes up but it doesn't appear, and I have to leave and return several times before it shows up.

A lot of other people have reported it as well. Hope it doesn't bork my save.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I might be done with this game
    I just looked up how to do brahma's trials because, I have done everything as described, and I still can't get it to work.
    I have had to look up so many solutions, and 80% of the time I was doing the right thing, just not in the spot the game liked. I had fun, but I don't think I have the patience for this kind of stuff anymore.

edit: I know the bit in the spoiler is optional, I'm just using it as an example.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    Hooray update:
    Fixed bug preventing Room Guarder combats when warping away and switching rooms.
    Fixed bug respawning Room Guarders. (For example, griffin)
    Adjusted obtained number of Ankh Jewels and dissonance in case it is inconsistent.
    Fixed bug causing graphic issues in pause/Holy grail screen under certain conditions.
    Fixed other issues concerning graphics, rendering, small bugs, etc.

Now I can continue playing, having forgotten everything I was doing over the past few days.