As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LA-MULANA 1 & 2 out now on Switch, Xbox One, PS4!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm definitely getting this tonight; I was waiting forever for the WiiWare version and was pretty crushed when it was cancelled. Probably drop my impressions Monday tho. I never played the older version so I can't really compare the two but I have watched several full playthroughs and I'm hoping it's a bit easier and the puzzles aren't quite as difficult. I mean some of those clues in the first version were well on impossible to figure out.

Also, wondering of the Vagina tablet is still in...

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Definitely curious about this game, but a bit wary of them doing their own digital distribution service for it. A shame they couldn't get it on Steam, but I guess they don't have anyone that can communicate well enough in English to talk with Valve about getting it on there.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Definitely curious about this game, but a bit wary of them doing their own digital distribution service for it. A shame they couldn't get it on Steam, but I guess they don't have anyone that can communicate well enough in English to talk with Valve about getting it on there.

Yeah, that was a really bizzare reason. I mean, they had enough to get an English translation and speaking English is hardly unheard of over there. But I thought they just went with a different dist service not that they set up their own.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, that was a really bizzare reason. I mean, they had enough to get an English translation and speaking English is hardly unheard of over there. But I thought they just went with a different dist service not that they set up their own.

Actually, you're right about it not necessarily being their own. I got confused. Playsim is a brand new Japanese-based digital distribution service whose grand opening coincides with La-Mulana's release. Looks like there's a demo available, might check it out after all the Steam sale madness.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Since I can't run away from this thread, I've retooled the OP into something resembling a proper OP. I might put some more effort into it later since I don't have a ton of time right now.

• Options
    im downloading now

so excited i can't capitalize

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Buying now, can't wait to play this.

Also, the music is rad as fuck and I want to buy the OST

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    holy shit best game ever every one go buy it

It's completely DRM free, Playism was absolutely hassle-less and the game works great with the 360 controller if you want to use that. Seriously, this is some QUALITY Metroidvania stuff.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Gah, I can't buy and download this for another like hour. The wait is excruciating. After three years of waiting patiently, it's right within my grasp and I can't get it yet!

EDIT: Everyone should watch a beginner's guide to La-Mulana, too. Especially if you have no idea what's going on in the game.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options

It's completely DRM free, Playism was absolutely hassle-less and the game works great with the 360 controller if you want to use that. Seriously, this is some QUALITY Metroidvania stuff.

I got a couple of 500 Errors while registering and buying but everything actually went through so I'm installing now.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I got a couple of 500 Errors while registering and buying but everything actually went through so I'm installing now.

Yep, same here. All it meant though was I had to go back to the main page and login/download the game. Registering and buying it went through even with the errors.

I played the original of this, but only got about... halfway in I think? I have been looking forward to the remake for a long time, and i'm glad I don't have to get it on a Nintendo console. This should be fun.

• Options
    Oh. If anybody encounters game freeze issues while saving, apparently running as administrator tends to fix that. It fixed it for me, anyway.

• Options
    Glad to hear it's working well.

• Options
    Whoops, accidentally activated hard mode. Not sure I want to keep on with that, since I haven't actually finished the game before.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I don't recognize half of those traps towards the end of that guide.

Edit: So how the heck do I bring up the map? I assume I have all the necessary components. I do remember the original version having a seperate pause screen, but I can't figure how to get at it.

Edit: Never mind, it's F1.

jothki on
  • Options
    Man I'm totally stuck... in Level 1.

Look slike the difficulty hasn't changed much. 8->

• Options
    HEY IF I WHIP THAT BLOCK THE OTHER BLOCK COMES OUT AND NOW THERE IS IT AN ELEVATOR

I feel like fucking Mensa. All of Mensa. I love this game so much.

• Options
    HEY IF I WHIP THAT BLOCK THE OTHER BLOCK COMES OUT AND NOW THERE IS IT AN ELEVATOR

I feel like fucking Mensa. All of Mensa. I love this game so much.

I like how that actually makes sense now when you see it in action. I don't think it did in the original version.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    FUCK THIS GAME AND FUCK ALL INVOLVED IN CONTINUING ITS CONTINUED EXISTENCE

I went through IWBTG because as bullshit as it was I could anticipate the crap and make some progress towards a goal. This thing will lead you around in the same tortuous dungeons over and over to find all the stuff required, and go back there to see new stuff opening up.

I tried to get back into the game again but ended up wandering around for an hour looking for the Chamber of Birth again, no idea where that thing is anymore.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Can't wait to jump on this when I get home from work (yeah I work Saturdays :P). I've been watching Nigoro's site/blog thing for aaaaaaaaaaaages and was really disappointed when they canned the Wiiware release. So glad they put it up for PC. Now I can get my ass kicked.

Is the music as totally fuckawesome as the original?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    harvest wrote: »
    Can't wait to jump on this when I get home from work (yeah I work Saturdays :P). I've been watching Nigoro's site/blog thing for aaaaaaaaaaaages and was really disappointed when they canned the Wiiware release. So glad they put it up for PC. Now I can get my ass kicked.

Is the music as totally fuckawesome as the original?

I've been considering buying the OST, if that tells you anything.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As much as the game itself frustrates me, the music is pretty fantastic for making me forgive it and making me want to play. Sweet jesus this is good stuff.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I'll see if I can scrounge up some headphones here at work. Anybody have links to the music? searching for 'la-mulana' on youtube brings up the same old videos for me.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    I'll see if I can scrounge up some headphones here at work. Anybody have links to the music? searching for 'la-mulana' on youtube brings up the same old videos for me.

Here's the two videos from the store page:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKz50k91fo&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU3MUKAwBFM&feature=player_embedded

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Oh god oh god. There's a serious risk of me buying this game. This is not a good thing. The first time I foolishly exposed myself to La Mulana I played it obsessively for two straight weeks and then had to force myself to quit forever before it killed me.

Oh, sure, the first half of the game, where the puzzles are merely insidious, is loads of fun. But then I have half a dozen areas I can go to, no idea how to progress more than two rooms in any of them, no idea which ones I'm even capable of progressing in with my current equipment, and not even the most cryptic of clues to (fail to) guide me.

I thought I was safe when the WiiWare version was cancelled, but now it's back to finish the job.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    La-Mulana is out to get you.

I've taken down three of the bosses and holy crap are they way harder than they used to be. Even the first boss isn't the pushover they once were, especially now that subweapon ammo is a lot more scarce. Currently trying to figure out where to go next, since they changed things up on me.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Ugggh why must the work day be so long?

I am taking money out of my Steam sale fund to pay for this. It's like twice what I'm normally willing to pay. This is significant to me.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Good god, they made Bahamut even harder. I've died to this thing like ten times thus far and have gotten almost no hits in.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Yeah i'm not sure how to fight Bahamut at all, since they seem to have changed the mechanic to be able to reach him when he fires at you.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Ah-hah! I beat Bahamut! Spoilers for how I did it.
    I used the Axe. Its reach is great enough that hitting Bahamut in the mouth consistently isn't a problem. Still a hard as nails fight, but actually doable with the Axe's range.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    It's been years since I've played this game and I'm already stuck.

Here's what my inventory looks like:
    yMnKr.jpg

Anyway I've explored the Mausoleum of the Giants and collected notes from the tablets there, and I remember something happening with changing the Sun/Moon/Star symbol, and at least with Star I saw one of the giants collapse, but nothing else happened.

I need some kind of guidance or coaching, some kind of goals to meet because I'm basically lost. Any hints?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Something will happen to one giant under each of the different symbols.

The order to do the events the symbols trigger:
    Star, Sun, Moon

Specific Solution:
    Under Star, one of them collapses allowing you to climb on a ladder previously unreachable.

Under Sun, a pedestal appears on the chest of one you can put a weight on.

Under Moon, one of them changes position and allows you to summon the boss if you have done the previous two symbol events.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    That beginner's guide is pretty great. "You can write it on that box of tissues you always keep by your computer."

I played this once for a few hours, but decided that as much as I love the intent behind it, playing it was not very fun, and beating it would not enrich my life by enough to justify the time and sanity commitment required to do so.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Steam's new Greenlight feature may be a way for this game to get on there.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It's been years since I've played this game and I'm already stuck.

Here's what my inventory looks like:
    yMnKr.jpg

Anyway I've explored the Mausoleum of the Giants and collected notes from the tablets there, and I remember something happening with changing the Sun/Moon/Star symbol, and at least with Star I saw one of the giants collapse, but nothing else happened.

I need some kind of guidance or coaching, some kind of goals to meet because I'm basically lost. Any hints?

If you want to solve the puzzle of the giants yourself, there's something for sale in the Temple of the Sun that might be indirectly helpful. You already have everything that you need to get at it.

• Options
    How the hell do I get to the Mausloleum of the Giants? I beta Amphisabaena but he two entrances in Guidance Gate are still closed.

• Options
    How the hell do I get to the Mausloleum of the Giants? I beta Amphisabaena but he two entrances in Guidance Gate are still closed.

The three (normal) exits off of the Guidance Gate are never closed.

• Options
    Yeah you can stand on them but then just hit Down again to keep climbing.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Also, good job beating the new Amphisbaena with only one gem. I certainly won't be bothering to try it.

• Options
    Oh, how do you get to the Temple of the Sun? I haven't managed to find it.

B6yM5w2.gif