As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] Down to Oxford Branch

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Haha, I was born in England and we moved to Australia when I was about five years old. Technically, I'm one of those people who sent all those awful convicts to this god-forsaken rock.

simonwolf on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    REDCOAT!

fadingathedges on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am perfectly comfortable with that.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Brother Atticus Holstead
    Well Rounded

Statistics - [17d6]
    Acuity - 5d6
    Body - 5d6
    Heart - 2d6
    Will - 5d6

Traits - [1d4, 4d6, 2d8]
    I'm a Dog. 1d6
    I don't take no guff. 1d8
    Can't see too sharp without these spectacles... 1d4
    ...but I don't need to see well to knock you down to the good Lord's earth. 1d6
    I've got a soft spot for the King of Life's critters. 1d6
    When I quote the Book, I mean it. 1d6
    Never toss away what still has good use 1d8

Relationships - [4d6, 2d8]
    1d6 each with the other dogs
    1d6 Leo Miller, rancher
    1d8 Robin

Possessions
    a horse, Robin 1d6
    grand-pap's Book of Life 2d6
    a heavy pistol 1d8 1d4
    jar of consecrated earth 1d6
    boot knife 1d6
    old blanket 2d4
    older hat 1d4
    coat 2d6

Atticus' coat is a drab beige, covered heavily in bright blue iconography depicting rows of animals running down the length, and the words "Suffer Not A Sinner Before You" down the right sleeve in rust-red.

My Accomplishment
    I hope I learned to know when I'm in the wrong.

Background
    Atticus is a husky young man from a ranching family. They were hard working, church going folks and he did them proud by joining the Dogs. Despite his affinity for animals, Atticus is notably cold in his stewardship as a Dog - relying on righteous zeal even where a gentler word might better serve.

I feel like he's on the right track here, a little advice would be swell.
    KoL 420 erryday

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2009
    Your traits are pretty good! It'll be interesting to see how you could work that glasses trait into conflicts.

Your relationships seem fine enough, but it'd be useful (to me, at least) if you'd spent one dice with an NPC, if only for your background flavour to be more fully developed. Maybe a parent, or an old childhood friend?

Your possessions list is also pretty interesting! There's more to it than most people have, but that's perfectly fine, since it's balanced against your smaller set of traits. Again, be interesting to see how you manage to pull them out in a conflict.

Everything is on the right track! Polish it off, and that's a submission I'll count.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Any suggestions on my missing trait?

I was thinking about taking a relationship with an NPC, but I figured family is all done automatically at 1d6 and if I random'd out some name it wouldn't really be impactful :P I can do either or on that though.

Items - should I change anything? I'm fine with anything you'd like edited in general.

e~ added a non-family NPC relationship, finished coat, still thinking on final trait.

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2009
    You said he was a husky lad - maybe that's his trait, if he's sensitive about it. "I'm husky, damn it", or even, "Momma told me I was just big-boned". Both of those are equally delightful traits! Otherwise, since he's using old, second-hand gear for the most part, it could be something relating to that habit - "Things last a long time", "You should never throw away something useful", "My family keeps things for those still to come".

A relationship with an NPC is something I like to see - there's always a chance I'll bring them up in your initiation, or a conflict. Family is always 1d6, for blood relations, but that's your decision! I'm just sayin', I know what I like.

You marked your gun wrong; guns always have an extra d4 attached to them. Also, is your gun big, or excellent? "Heavy", to me, suggests it's a big thing, which would be 2d6. Otherwise, it'll be 1d8+1d4.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    The OP says 2d6 is excellent and 1d8 is big. Just like a convict/redcoat, changing the rules midstride.

Hmmm trait ideas hmmmmm

edit: relationship with my horse yes/no?

edit2: I went with "Never toss away what still has good use" for the moment but am still open to suggestions on all fronts.

I'm thinking that's still general enough that I can use it beyond... y'know... someone buying a new hat in my presence :lol:

e3~ I have people coming here in 8 hours for some dnd and/or tabletop tomorrow so I'm going to bed but I'll check in when I can.

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2009
    Man, I had a different set of rules in my noodle. 1d8+1d4 it is!

Relationship with your horse... eh. If the horse is listed in your belongings, it makes more mechanical sense - plus, there's always the chance that fallout will remove your horse from your belongings! Someone call the RSPCA.

Generalistic traits are something I don't like so much, because this game doesn't really object to you using something wacky like "My foot keeps falling asleep" to dodge a bullet or a punch. I like "Never toss away what still has good use" a lot, since it'll be more interesting to see how you pull that into conflicts.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    And the King of Life's chosen are...

Brother Josiah, played by robp85!
    Brother Eleazar, played by kuhlmeye!
    Sister Charity, played by INeedNoSalt!

What the fuck why do you all have to make such delightful characters.

If I wasn't already running two games, I would have made a second one to fit all of you - as it stands, I'll just have to give the unfortunate people who didn't get in a +1 bonus to getting into my next game.

Initiations will be incoming shortly!

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Alright, first things first!

From this point on, the game is completely in-character - if you want to ask anything OOC, then put it in spoilers. Dice rolling is the same, usually, but I like to roll traits and things in public, when they're applicable - less confusing that way.

Right now, you're all doing Initiations, and I've left you all with an opening to Raise. What this means is simple - you choose your level of initiation escalation, roll the appropriate Stat dice, and put a Raise forward. I'll See it, or take the blow, and follow up with my own raise. This goes on until one of us has no dice left, or one of us voluntarily Gives up.

You all have an advantage - you can escalate and bring in traits to roll more dice, which I can't in this conflict. However, keep in mind what you're trying to achieve!

You should also keep in mind that, even if you "lose" this conflict, you still get an extra 1d6 trait. It'll reflect how you accomplished your accomplishment! This means that there isn't a bad ending to your initiation - as the book says, both "I'm literate" and "I'm illiterate" are equally interesting traits to have!

It's everyone's turn to Raise.

And... go!
    - - - - - - -

Brother Josiah Wolfe
    I hope to show that I deserve to be a Watchdog (did not get into this because of my dad's reputation).

(dice: 9,9,6,6,3,3,3,2)

Seasons come and seasons go, out here in the lands of the Faithful. The season which everyone remembers, though, is the flood season - the rivers near Bridal Falls rise up and flood the surrounding lands. Past couple of years haven't been too bad, and people started getting slack with their preparations for the floods. Nobody could blame them.

Then the rains came and the waters rose up and started drowning out the "safe" land. People were bein' evacuated best as they could do, but then the waters started coming close to one of the main towns, and the Stewards and Elders decided it was time to put their feet down and stop the floods from destroying people's homes.

Of course, they didn't put feet down themselves. They have initiate Dogs for a reason, after all.

The whole flock of initiates is standing by the town, ankle-deep in muddy flood-water. The rain is still pouring down on them, soaking them to the bone and obscuring their vision. These ain't conditions most men would want to work in, but there isn't much choice. Especially when you've got something to prove.

Brother Josiah is there, in the water, surrounded by his fellow Dogs. He knows what they think about him, and how he got here. He knows they think he's just here because his daddy was a good ol' Watchdog, that Josiah only got in because of that.

A small wall of sandbags has been started, but it needs to be a lot higher; the wagon next to Josiah is stacked high with bags that are just waiting to be lifted out and thrown down to stop those rising waters.

Come on, boy. There's Dog work that needs to be done.
    - - - - - - -

Brother Eleazar Dunn
    I hope I can show that my past isn’t who I am.

(dice: 7,6,6,6,5,2,2,1)

There's a smell in the air that reminds Eleazar of something, deep in his past. The smell of home-cooking, combined with the noise of kids talkin' to each other, the banging and clanging of plates and cups and knees on tables. Dinner time is over, for the initiates; now it's personal time, time for extra study; or you could just do whatever you wanted to.

Of course, some people take advantage of this.

Just as Eleazar leaves the food hall and heads out into the night air, he hears some noises behind him. Turning around, he's greeted with a sight that most boys would be surprised and shocked at. Most boys, that is.

Standing there are five other initiates; Brothers Hamilton, Ezra and Jesse, and Sisters Abigail and Cornelia.

They don't look too happy.

"There he is," says Hamilton, hockin' up saliva in his throat and spitting it to the ground, "The sin-born kid."

"Why don't you just get on out of here," questions Cornelia, an angry squeaky quality to her voice, "We don't want no people comin' from demon-towns being Dogs! Don't deserve to be!"

Ezra, biggest and ugliest of the lot, steps forward and grabs Eleazar by the collar, liftin' him up a couple of inches. Eye to eye, Brother Ezra narrows his own and says, gutturally, "Why don't you just leave, sinner?"
    - - - - - - -

Sister Charity
    I hope I proved myself through violence.

(dice: 10,8,7,6,3,3,1,1)

Sister Charity had been called into the stables by the Elder himself; she had no idea why, and neither did the messenger. Looking around, she could see the usual trappings of a stable; a horse here or there, straw and hay strewn all over the place. There wasn't anything that interesting in here. She would know.

Sister Charity had been waiting for a while, now.

Then the doors buckled and groaned from someone pushing at them from the outside, and Charity jumped to attention as she saw Elder Jaspar walk in. But he wasn't alone; dragging behind him, kickin' and fussing, was a small child; kid only looked like he could be ten or eleven.

Clutching onto his ward tightly, Jaspar pressed on to Charity, then stopped about six or seven feet away. The kid wouldn't stop wriggling, but Jaspar wasn't a man who let things go easily; how else could he have become an Elder of the Dogs?

"This here is little Gabriel," the Elder said in his booming, authorative voice, "Brother Eli's grandson. Little boy, grown himself a smart mouth, and sticky fingers - now, they may be small sins, but they're sins nonetheless. I thought you might be able to teach him a lesson or two about manners, Charity."

Gabriel was terrified of what was about to happen. The Elder kept his grip, ignoring the child's struggles.

"Normally, the boy's father would do the honours," he continued, "But he's gone out of town; and Brother Eli is far too busy training the other Dogs to take care of this minor matter. Thought you could whip some sense into the boy, what with your reputation amongst the other initiates."

Throwing the boy forward and into one of the hay bales, Jaspar glares at you, waiting for you to start the "lesson".

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    GL & HF guys!

fadingathedges on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dice: 6, [strike]6[/strike], 5, [strike]2[/strike], 2, 2

Raise

Eleazar lets Ezra keep a hold of his collar for the moment. No need to pick a fight just yet, he thinks, hoping that this wont come to punches. Looking into the boy's eyes, Eleazar keeps his voice cool and collected, despite the adversity.

"And why don't I deserve to be here? The sins of my father are not my own, are they not?"

(6,2)

Dice: 6, 5, 2, 2
    Woo my first raise! I think I did everything right.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
    edited October 2009
    Brother Eleazar:

(dice: 7,6,6,6,5,2,2,1)

SEE:
    Ezra laughs a booming, hoarse laughter, spittle and hot air flying into Eleazar's face. Something's tickled the lad's funnybone, in what his victim just said; he shakes his head slowly, obivously unable to find the words for a response just now. Fortunately, one of his companions takes the initiative and speaks up against Eleazar.

"You ain't read that Book of Life too closely, huh, sin-born," Sister Abigail says with distaste, "Else you'd know that the word says, The King of Life will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the sin of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."
    (dice: 6,2)

RAISE:
    "Born from sin, stays with sin," Ezra snarls right in Eleazar's face.

"Born from sin," continues Jesse, tapping the others to join in the chant, "Stays with sin!"

All of them are in on it now, pushing closer into a tighter circle around Eleazar. Eyes wild with anger, voices righteous in their own special way - the chant goes on, building with temper, the voices piercing into Eleazar's mind and they go on and on and on...

"Born from sin, stays with sin! Born from sin, stays with sin!"
    (dice: 6,2)

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    What's the policy on Bible quotin? Old Testament and Book of Mormon? I've got some pretty good ones to spout out.

kuhlmeye on
    edited October 2009
    The entire Old and New Testament is fine, along with the Book of Mormon - my general policy is that, if it doesn't sound right in the original text, you're welcome to re-write the terminology to make it more applicable (e.g. I just quoted a part of Exodus 34:7, but twiddled with it to add 'King of Life' and 'sin' to the scripture.)

John Smith did re-write the Bible so it made more sense, so I see no harm in making the various holy texts more Dogs-like.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm... I need to get this straight. Can I escalate to physical see, to push my way out of their circle, and then roll a trait for my raise? Or is this not allowed?

kuhlmeye on
    edited October 2009
    General policy is that you should only roll one trait/escalation for every See, Raise or Taking the Blow. That means you can roll your escalation for the See, then roll a trait for the Raise. Easy!

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Rolling trait "I've seen the sins of the Word corrupted"
    I've seen the sins of the Word corrupted. (1d6=6, 1d6=5)

Dice: 6, 6, 5, 5, 2, 2

See:
    With wild eyes, he looks at the group accusing him of sins. What little they knew.

"You all speak righteous, but have only read half of His words it seems. For if you had truly read the Book, would know what follows that passage:

'If a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all the King of Life's statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live.'"

(6, 2)

Escalate to Physical
    Escalate to Physical (Body) (1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=3, 1d6=1, 1d6=5)

Dice: 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Raise:
    Eleazar now can't take Ezra's hands on him, and as the rest of the group closes in around him, he lets out a yell. He throws Ezra's hands off, and tries like hell to push his way out of that circle.

(5, 4)

Dice: 6, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1
    Hopefully this is ok?

kuhlmeye on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Body and Heart: 2d6, 3d6 (5,4,4,3,2)

"My dad's reputation precedes me.": 2d6 (3,1)

Ouch. This may be painful.

(dice: 5,4,4,3,3,2,1)

Raise:

Brother Josiah was no fool. He knows what people think about him. He knows that people don't necessarily think he's good enough to be a Dog. That he's only here because of his pa. Maybe he wasn't as physically well-built as most of the others but he had the smarts to get through almost anything they could throw at him during initiation. This would be no different.

Moving quickly, Josiah begins grabbing bags of sand and stacking them where needed. Yes, the bags were heavy. Yes, he would be tired quickly. But he will not show it. He will work through the pain to prove that he has what it takes to be a Dog. He has what it takes to accomplish any task put in front of him.

(4,3)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited October 2009
    Brother Eleazar:

(dice: 7,6,5,1)

SEE:
    Watching as their victim tries to push out of the circle, the group tightens up, pushing back the little Dog's feeble attempts to get out of their chanting. They hold him tight in their group, pressing him back every time he tries to get on out of there. No way they're going to let their prey out of there. Not while he's still born of a sinner.
    (dice: 6,5)

RAISE:

Then one of them - Ezra, probably - gets a smart idea. Smart for him, at least.

Kneeling down, he picks up a ball of dirt and throws it at Eleazar. The others join in, grabbing dirt and dust and throwing at the boy they have trapped in their little circle, the chant droning on as they do it - "Born from sin, stays with sin! Born with sin, stays with sin!"
    (dice: 7,1)
    - - - - - - -

Brother Josiah

(dice: 9,9,6,6,3,3,3,2)

REVERSE THE BLOW:
    Josiah grabs that first bag, and suddenly he realises why the other initiates were strugglin' - these are heavy things. Too heavy for a slight, though plucky, wannabe-Dog like him. With a fumble, the bag goes falling into the muddy water - and Josiah follows with it, collapsing with a splatter into the dirty muck that's covering the ground.
    (dice: 9)

RAISE:
    Even above the sound of the torrential downpour comin' down around them, Josiah can hear that echoing laughter all around him - from the Steward, from the Elders, from the other initiate Dogs that are working around him. They're mocking him, makin' fun of how weak he is compared to the other Dogs. Laughing about how he doesn't deserve to be here, with the real chosen.

He doesn't deserve to be here at all.
    (dice: 9,6)

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009

(dice: 10,6,5,4,3,2,1)

See:

Josiah ignores the laughter of his fellow Dogs and focuses instead on the books he's read. Rememberin' stories of past heroes who pushed through impossible odds, with the King of Life's help, to accomplish great things gives Josiah the motivation to push on.

"I won't give up," the young Dog mutters to himself, face still half-buried in the mud and water.

(dice: 10, 5)

Raise:

Liftin' himself from the muddy waters, the Dog wipes his face on the sleeve of his coat. He bends low to lift the bag of sand with great effort, straining hard to get it into place. The weight of the water and mud now made this bag even heavier than before. With a final grunt, he's able to place his first sand bag into place.

This is gonna be a long day... Josiah realizes quickly. But I'm a Dog, damnit! I will persevere.

(dice: 6, 4)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited October 2009
    (dice: 9,6,3,3,3,2)

TAKING THE BLOW:

The young Dog's perseverance pays off, slowly - time goes by, the rains keep on coming, and Josiah shows he can lift sandbags like any other Dog, work through the pain and dirt that life throws at the Faithful. The wall gets built, and Josiah has done his part in the process - there isn't any denying that.
    (dice: 3,3,3,2)

RAISE:
    Back at the temple, Josiah is relaxing with the other Dogs-in-training, when Elder Jaspar calls out to him from the doorway. Rising to his feet, Josiah goes out to speak with the old man, who clearly has some new wisdom to impart onto the boy. That's what the Elders are for, after all - to teach these young Dogs how things work, and what the right of things is.

Placing a hand onto the boy's shoulder, Jaspar looks down and gives a warm smile. "You did good today, son, would do your daddy proud to see his offspring showin' us how a man helps others. But..."

He sucks on his teeth, trying to find the right words.

"We all know, me and the other Elders," he continues, purposefully slow in his speech, "Your Steward sent you here because of who your daddy was, and not who you is. Doesn't mean you're not a fine man in and of himself, Josiah, but it does mean you're riding on your daddy's coattails. Can you live with that, son?"
    (dice: 9,6)

simonwolf on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This system is kind of confusing at first and I'm trying to get the feel for it which is why I'm taking my time. The 4d6+4d10 you rolled as 'Charity's Initiation' was for the other side of the conflict, right?

Then, since I'm Just Talking, I do like ... : Just Talkin (8d6=32)

I'm going to ramble out what I think I'm doing in this spoiler as I write so you guys can correct me if I get off track.

Charity's taking the first action so she opens with a raise; she's not much for talking and not much for dealing with kids too much either so I put forth not my best dice, expecting for the kid to raise right back. Maybe he'll escalate!

Dice: 6, 6, 6, 5, [strike]3[/strike], 2, 2, [strike]2[/strike]
    RAISE

Sister Charity returns the glare back at Elder Jaspar -- she's got better things to do than whipping stupid children. And of course it won't get done on her own account - she's got to make a show of it, she's being watched.

She turned her attention to Gabriel, though, and opened with scripture: "The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again," she said. The scripture helped her to focus. In her mind she centered on another line, though she didn't speak it: "The candle of the wicked shall be put out."

"Gabriel," she said, standing tall and straight, intimidating in her posture (and hoping that her reputation had reached even the child's ears), "How's it come to pass that someone small's you goes about with wicked words on the lips? You're takin' what isn't by any rightful means yours?"

With dim fire in her eyes, she said, "Do you know what the Book of Life says we do with the Wicked?"

dice: (3,2)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2009

(dice: 6,3,3,2,2,1,1,1)

Taking the blow:

Josiah nods his head, understandin' exactly what the Elder means. He knows his father's reputation. He's aware of all his pa had done. Heck, maybe it's true. Maybe he's in here partially because of pa. He couldn't deny the truth in that.

(dice: 6,3,3,2,1)

Raise:

But ultimately all that doesn't matter to the young Dog. Standing his ground, he replies to Brother Jasper with passion in his voice.

"Yes, I realize my pa's influence may have gotten me into this here trainin', Brother Jasper. But I believe I have shown myself capable of handling the duties of a Dog. Regardless of my pa's influence, I've trained my entire life for this and will prove with my actions, as I done earlier today, that I deserve to be here as much as anyone else trainin' today."

Josiah's passionate explanation was not meant to be disrespectful but to prove a point. He had a real desire to be one of the Dogs.

(dice: 2,1)

(dice: 1)(fallout: 5d4)
    Am I doing this right, simon? Just wanna make sure I'm not screwing anything up.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited October 2009
    You've got the right of the system, so far! The 4d6 and 4d10 I rolled is my "special" dice for resolving the initiations, and I never get to add any more to that - basically, all of my escalations use those dice, and you can respond as you see fit.

(dice: 10,8,7,6,3,3,1,1)

REVERSE THE BLOW:
    Charity can try talking to the little boy, but he's only a child - he can't listen to anything she says, not while he knows that there's a beating a-coming for him. While the older girl is trying to speak some sense into him, teach him a lesson, he covers his ears and plows out and away from Charity, running towards the door as fast as he can! With the girl still thinking about scrpture, she can't do anything to stop him just then.
    (dice: 6)

SEE:
    Jaspar doesn't do anything to stop the kid from getting away - this isn't his battle, he put the task onto Charity. Now it's all on her to prove that she can teach the little children about retribution, about gettin' what's coming for you.

Over by the exit of the barn, the door's closed all by itself, but Gabriel's still trying to pull it open and get the hell out of there - give him another few moments, and he'll be out and about in the outside, and only the King of Life knows where he'll get to from there.
    (dice: 6,7)
    - - - - - - -
    Doin' perfectly! You also took that blow the right way - sometimes people get that part confused, but you did the right thing and made it clear that my Raise succeeded in doing what it wanted to happen. Jaspar wanted you to admit you knew you were only here because of your daddy, and you admitted it, but didn't give up. Excellent stuff!

However, with zero dice left, I can't do crap. You win this round!

GIVE:
    Even with the self-admitted knowledge that his place in the Order was only granted because of who his father was, the young Josiah didn't stand down. In the end, that's what being a Dog is all about, living a life of knowing that sometimes you're doing things for the wrong reason, or you're only in a situation because of things beyond your control. But you make them right, anyhow, you do what needs to be done.

Jaspar looks down at the young Dog, and nods his head, slowly.

"You got in here for all the wrong reasons, son," he says, still slow and thoughtful, "But you're proving yourself to be the right kind of person for this Order. Keep up the trainin', and I'm sure you'll be surpassin' your daddy, one day."

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Dice: 6, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1

See:
    Luckily, Eleazar manages to get his hands and arms up to block his eyes before the dirt hits him. And this wasn't too bad... for him, anyway. He's seen worse at the hands of his father.

And he refuses to fight these kids. It would only prove their point.

(dice: 5,3)

Raise:
    With his eyes covered, he lets out a yell, hoping to silence the others long enough to speak. Immideately after, he follows with "I may be born from sin, but I am not the sinner here." Then, remembering something from the Book, he says "King forgive them, for they know not what they do."

(dice: 6,5)

Dice: 2, 1
    Man, I haven't really been happy with any of my raises, since I don't really want to get in a fist fight with other potentials. I don't think hitting them would make them realize I'm not who they think I am!

kuhlmeye on
    edited October 2009
    Now I roll my fallout, right simon? Do I get the normal fallout experience for the initiation? I also need to change my accomplishment into a 1d6 trait. Thinking about that now.

EDIT: Re-read the rules, looks like I do roll fallout for initiations as well according to page 30 at the end of the first full paragraph :) Should've read before asking.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited October 2009
    GIVE:
    Eleazar's words do something, it seems. The little posse out to heckle and punish him for some inherited sin stop their dirt-throwing, the chanting fades away. They look down on him and don't do anything for a bit.

Then Ezra drops the ball of dirt that was in his hand and turns around.

"Come on, guys," he says with disdain, "He isn't worth the effort."

Commanded as such, the group disbands, filing back together into the hallway of the Dog's Temple, leavin' Eleazar out in the cold, covered with dirt. They keep on chattering amongst each other as they move off, though, and their words can be heard for quote some time afterwards - not in the air, of course, but in Eleazar's head.

"Reckon he's as bad as they say?"

"Maybe not so bad, but I don't know..."

"He ain't rife with sin, preachin' false doctrine..."

"Just leave him be, for now. Deal with him if he ever gets full of himself again."

Congratulations, you "won" your initiation! Now, take what your accomplishment was and turn it into a 1d6 trait that reflects not only what you wanted to achieve, but how you achieved it. In this case, it seems like you proved that your past isn't who you are... sorta. There might be some lingering doubt in the air, and you're going to have to deal with that.

- - - - - - -
    Probably! You need to make your accomplishment and how you succeeded at it into a 1d6 trait - Fallout-wise, I'm generally inclined to waive it for initiations. That's just how I roll, sucka.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Ah, cool. No problem. Let's see here.... My trait will be called:

1d6: "I've proven I'm the right kinda guy for the Dogs."

Taking a bit of what Brother Jaspar said and my accomplishment and meldin' 'em together. How does that sound?

If so, do we just modify our character sheet from wherever we applied with our new trait?

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, if you do that, I can keep track of things easier by linking to your sheet in the OP - just keep editing in any changes that happen throughout the game, and things will be golden.

Your initiation trait seems fine, in any case - go ahead and add that, we've got our first finished Dog! Hooray, woohoo, etc.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Sorry, can't stop thinking about this game. Should be workin' but you know....

I don't know if I like that trait too much. Would this one sound better?

"I got in because of pa, but I've proved I'm deservin' of the title 'Watchdog.'"

Coming up with traits is fun but I'm finding it's easy to go too generic.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited October 2009
    That's a much nicer trait, yeah! It's a lot more character-building than something simple and generic. Good show, old bean!

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Ah, thank you chap.

I agree. It does seem to relate to my initiation more. I've changed it in my character sheet.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited October 2009
    I think I'll go with:

"I proved my past isn't who I am... I think"

Stupid lame raises. I just didn't feel comfortable kicking the snot out of Ezra. They might have confused my message... :P

Oh well, makes for good development later on.

kuhlmeye on
    edited October 2009
    Poifect, add that on in there!

Now, all we need is INeedNoSalt to finish Charity's initiation, and we're good to head on down to Oxford Branch!

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so Charity's gotta Take The Blow ... she doesn't have any dice above 6, so she can't possibly beat 6,7 without spending 3 dice. Charity will take 3d4 fallout dice at the end of the conflict.

Dice: 6, 6, [strike]6[/strike], [strike]5[/strike], [strike]3[/strike], [strike]2[/strike], 2, [strike]2[/strike]

TAKING THE BLOW
    Charity expected a bit more attention from the child -- not much more, but she didn't expect him to bolt soon's she opened her mouth -- and what's more, she'd expected the Elder to intervene. Show's what's right for Sister Charity, then, as she stood by and nearly let the kid flee away.

(6, 5, 2)
    , (3d4 fallout dice)

RAISE
    Sister Charity escalates to Fightin' (although I guess she's not fighting, but she's not talkin', either.) Right?

New dice: Fightin' (7d6=26)
    Dice: 6, 6, [strike]6[/strike], [strike]6[/strike], [strike]5[/strike], 5, [strike]5[/strike], 4, [strike]3[/strike], 3, [strike]2[/strike], 2, [strike]2[/strike], 2, 1

Sister Charity gets herself together, then -- things didn't go exactly how she'd planned, but they did go as planned, more or less. She wasn't sure how she hadn't been ready for it, but now she was sure she was on top of it. In a brief moment of motion, she was after the kid, closing the distance to the stable door and Gabriel, reaching out to grab him hard by the mop of hair atop his head. All the while, she tried to ignore Jaspar's presence -- she imagined that paying him too much attention might result in another moment of dumbfoundedness that she didn't think she wanted to manage.

(6, 5)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2009
    Just so you know, it's easiest if you just highlight the dice you use in your See and Raise in a single dice pool at the top of your post, and delete them from your pool in your next post - easier to tell apart used and unused dice. Basically, do what I do!

I would call what you're doing Fightin', since you're trying to physicall grab the kid by his hair - if you were trying to push the door closed, that'd be Physical. In any case, time for me to made ye olde post...

Oh, and regarding Fallout - I usually waive it for initiations, under the assumption that the blows you took will be incorporated into the trait that you get at the end of it. Keep a track of it, though, because in any future conflicts, fallout does matter.

(dice: 10,8,3,3,1,1)

SEE:

Gabriel might be a child, but he isn't stupid, or slow. He knows when someone's coming for him, and he knows when they're trying to hurt him. The kid's spry and quick and he ducks Charity's clumsy grab at his hair, managing to avoid her hands entirely. He's been hurt before, and he isn't one to let it just happen to him again.
    (dice: 8,3)

RAISE:
    The door opens up a smidge, but it's big enough - Gabriel sucks in his gut and pushes through the tiny opening, out into the bright light and dusty air outside the barn. There's nowhere for him to run to, really, except the town in the far-off distance. Pushing his little legs as fast as they'll carry him, he presses himself to the limit and runs, as far away from the Elder and his lapdog, little Charity.
    (dice: 10, 3)

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Well, uh, unless I shoot the kid, there's no way I can beat 13. It's pretty tempting just to shoot the kid, though.

Dice: 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1

TAKING THE BLOW

Charity stumbled for a moment, fidgeting to get the door wide enough to fit through while the boy's already gone running. A kid -- why'd it have to be a kid? Just put a tried and true, deserving sinner before Charity ...

(5, 5, 3)

RAISE:

Though she lost time getting out of the stable behind Gabriel, once they were out on open ground, Charity had the advantage -- she held her skirt up and ran after the boy, covering ground faster than Gabriel could manage.

When she caught up to him -- and it seemed inevitable to her -- she sought to lay hands on the boy's shoulders and throw him to the ground, where he could be pinned from movin' any further.

(6, 6)
    , (6d4 fallout)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2009
    And now I have to Give, since I'm out of dice that can match yours!
    This is an interesting situation, though, because Charity hasn't strictly proven herself through violence - she's won the conflict, that's for sure, but she had rings run around her, for the most part. You threw him to the ground and pinned him, at the end, but you took a lot of Fallout before getting to this point. How's this going to reflect on your accomplishment?

GIVE:

Grabbed suddenly from behind, Gabriel could do little as his shoulders were gripped tightly by Charity's hands and he was wrenched to the ground, slammed into the dirt and dust. He wanted to kick, wanted to scream out and get away again, but he was just a little boy - not only was he not strong enough to get away from the initiate Dog, he didn't have the energy left in him to do anything. He went limp, and Charity could do her dirty work.

Outside of the struggling children's vision, Elder Jaspar calmly exited the barn and stood there, watching.

Seems like Charity could do something violent, when it all came down to dust - even when it was just a little boy.

simonwolf on