As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] Down to Oxford Branch

• Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "I would like to see Sister Madeline," Josiah states. "I would like to discuss this murder matter with her. Plus, I find it strange that she has gotten sick the way she has. Maybe this is no coincidence."
    Sorry for the delay, wanted to let Brother Aidan finish his initiation and I'm in NYC on vacation. Not around my computer like I am when I'm at work...

Now, to find out if the sickness is more than just an ordinary sickness. Hehe.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Steward looks at you with a raised eyebrow.

"Hate to tell you this, son," he says, "But woman's got whooping cough. Highly contagious. She starts talkin', probably send her into a coughing fit. Take you two hours to get the King of Life's Prayer out of her, in that condition. Probably a good thing she stopped bein' able to talk to people, mind you, the way she was sayin' such terrible things about that poor lil' Dinah..."

He shrugs his shoulders.

"Well, if you insist, I'll take you over there..."

The walk is short and uneventful; they arrive outside the house where Sister Madeline has been quarantined. There's no lights coming from within, except some sunlight fading through the windows elsewhere in the house. The sign on the door is curt, and to the point - 'SISTER MADELINE HAS WHOOPING COUGH, DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT PERMISSION'.

"Door's unlocked," the Steward says, absent-mindedly, "She's not going anywhere. I'll be back at the house."

Steward Bynum tips his hat the Watchdog, and leaves Brother Josiah to his own business.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dice: 6,3,3,2,2,2

Taking the Blow:
    Eleazar darts across the room, his intention clear in his head when starts moving. In a flash he is in Carmel's face, nearly standing on top of her. The scene must look a slight bit funny to the Mountain Man, because when Eleazar arrives... he has nothing to say. Carmel's words acted slower than Eleazar had thought they would, his intent clear when approached her. But when he arrived... the words didn't come.

Maybe... maybe she's right.

(3,3,2,2,2)

Dice: 6,5,5

Raise:
    Then memories fly through Eleazar's head. Times from his childhood, when he's seen people act like this. Had he escaped those times? Had he been truly delivered from evil? He wasn't quite sure yet, but he wanted to prove himself still.

"Sister, you're walkin down a path I've already traveled. One where people think they can do whatever they please just cause someone slighted them. But I'll tell you somethin: that ain't the way it works in His Kingdom, and right now, that's not where you're travelin."

(6,5)
    Dice: 5 Fallout: 8d4

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    (dice: 5,5,5,3,2,2,2,1,1,1)

Escalating to Physical, adding John Bad Teeth - Body 3+2 + "John Bad Teeth" (6d6=5,5,5,2,2,1)

TAKING THE BLOW:
    John Bad Teeth quickly pushes himself between Carmel and Eleazar, a protective instinct. He doesn't know what the Dog intends to do to the poor girl, but he's going to place himself between them just in case the little lady needs a bit more muscle to back her up.

Behind her Mountain Man companion, however, Sister Carmel is speechless; doesn't know what to say in response to that accusation; was she really only walking down this path because someone else had slighted her? Surely... surely she had better reasoning than that.

Didn't she?
    (dice: 3,2,2,2,1,1)

RAISE:
    "Maybe I'm not travellin' down the right path, now..."

She pushes herself out from behind John Bad Teeth, a small hand lightly brushing against his shoulder. Starin' straight up at the Dog, she tries to sum up how she feels about all of this, what she wants to be done.

"But that's why you're here," she continues, softly, "You're here to solve injustice. Well, it's an injustice that my husband can't do his duties to his wives. That's the root of the problem, Watchdog - don't shoot down me and John, just 'cause we're the messengers."

She places her hand down, puts it in John's. He closes his own around hers, and together they stand side by side, hand in hand. Waitin' for the Dog to make up his mind.
    (dice: 5,5)

(dice: 5,2,1) (fallout: 6d4)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, since IC screwed me, I'm taking my stupid 5 and giving. This is going to get interesting.

Give:

Eleazar holds his ground for a moment as Carmel's words sink in. Slowly, Eleazar backs off from the two, but words are yet to reach his lips.

This girl, she has a point. Maybe there's more to the book than I thought, more to find in it.

Before turning to leave the barn, his mouth finally opens. "Perhaps I've been lookin a little to narrowly, Sister." He turns to leave the two, not wanting to stay any longer. Outside the barn, his head is swimming, barely able to contain his thoughts.

What did I just do? I gave a Sister permission to break her vows. What else could I do? Couldn't have hurt the girl, would make me just like my father.

His thoughts follow him as he turns to head back to the Stewards house.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, this is my favourite part - delicious Fallout.

Way it works is simple - roll all your Fallout at the same time (like you did) and take the two highest dice. Yours are a pair of fours, so that's an 8, which means long term Fallout. You also rolled at least one 1, which means you get experience Fallout!

Here's the lists - choose one from each, and justify your choice. I'll most likely approve them, but there have been times I've called bullshit, so keep that in mind. The general rule of thumb in this game is that, if anyone calls bullshit on a choice you make for Fallout, then you either have to justify it better and convince that other person, or go with something else.

Long-term Fallout:
    - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats.
    - Take a new trait at 1d4.
    - Take a new relationship at 1d4.
    - Add 1d to an existing d4 trait or relationship.
    - Subtract 1d from an existing d6+ trait or relationship.
    - Change the die size of an existing trait or relationship to d4.
    - Erase a Belonging from your character’s sheet.
    - Change the description of your coat to include bad damage. Reduce your coat’s dice as appropriate.

Experience Fallout:
    - Add 1 to one of your Stats.
    - Create a new Trait at 1d6.
    - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Trait.
    - Change the d-size of an existing Trait.
    - Create a new Relationship at 1d6.
    - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Relationship.
    - Change the d-size of an existing Relationship.
    - Write a new Belonging on your character sheet and give it its usual dice.

Meanwhile, Sister Carmel rolls... Fallout (6d4=2,4,3,2,1,4)

Same as you, an 8 total and at least one 1!

So, she's going to take...
    - Take a new 1d4 trait, "Maybe I'm not doing things for the right reasons"
    - Create a new 1d6 Relationship with Brother Eleazar

Basically, Carmel knows what she's doing isn't the right thing to do, but she still doesn't think it's as bad as what her husband's been doing to her. She doesn't think what she's doing is a crime; her husband is the one creating the problem in the first place. She also kinda like Eleazar, now - he was good enough to back down from the argument when he knew he couldn't convince her with words, and that's a kindness some men won't show to a woman. She knows; Dinah's told her all about it.

also, I am not immune to the bullshit rule - let me know if you disagree with my choices

simonwolf on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aidan frowns slightly. He would have to tread carefully with this question, but it needed to be asked. "Has your husband had to deal with Brother Jesse and his wives in the past," he asks.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Josiah nods back to the Steward. Maybe they were worried about the whooping cough, but part of his duties was to see what he could do about the sick. Obviously, Sister Madeline is sick and Josiah was here to see what he could do.

Slowly, he opens the door. "Sister Madeline," he whispers. "I'm Brother Josiah Wolfe, a Watchdog from the Order. Just came into town and heard you were sick. Was hopin' I could have a moment to see if I could help any."
    Alright, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I would like to have Josiah help with the sickness. If it's some sort of demon possession thing, how would I go about figuring that out. If it's just a good old fashion sickness, I'd like to know if there's something I can do for her since I'm supposed to bless the sick.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sister Anne shakes her head in response to Aidan's question.

"I couldn't tell you, Brother," she replies with kindness, "Jesse was a counsellor, and could mostly deal with his own worries. If my husband ever had to deal with Jesse, then that was his business, and not somethin' he was going to come on home and tell me all about."

She thinks, for a second, before continuing, "But I can tell you that Dinah is barely sixteen, and probably not so certain about the way a wife is supposed to act. But that doesn't forgive what she's done."
    - - - - - - -

Inside the house is bare, no sign of people living in it. There's a cot set up in the place most people would set up their food table, and lying in it is a pale, sickly lookin' woman. She looks to be around 40 years old, but it's hard to tell when she's laying down and sweaty. When she hears the name 'Sister Madeline' come from Josiah's lips, her head turns weakly.

"H..."

She only gets out one little syllable before the coughing starts. A horrible sound, something deep inside her exploding three, four, five times in a row. Then there's that tell-tale whoop, a sudden intake of air as she tries to get her breath back.

It's not a pretty sickness.

"... help?"

Another series of coughs, another whoop. Talking isn't good for her, it seems.
    In this situation, you could start a conflict against nobody in particular in order to try and heal Sister Madeline. You could investigate her closer, see if there's possession involved, but the eventual conflict will be the same - reading from the Book of Life, annointing her with consecrated earth, commanding her soul to drive off the illness.

Of course, the illness mightn't go away straight off, but you'd be curing her as best you could.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The conversation is winding down, and the timing seems about right for Eleazar to show up. I'm sure we could find something to do. :)

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just so we're clear, guys, I'm waiting on kuhl or rob before I do anything else.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's right... wait for me!

For my experience fallout, I'm going to increase my "I've proved my past isn't who I am... I think" to 1d8, since he was able to hold off from doing what he might have.

For Long term, I'll take a 1d4 Relationship with Carmel. Just because she got him thinking doesn't mean he likes her.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sounds fine to me! Update your sheet to match that, and we're good to go.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Done and done, let's see where this goes!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, it's on you now - Eleazar is apparently heading back to the Steward's house, where Aidan is chilling. NPCs don't have anything (visible) to say/do at the moment.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Josiah moves in closer to Sister Madeline. "Now, don't try ta talk. I'm here to help but I'd like to see what's caused this first."

The Watchdog kneels beside the sick sister and smiles. Praying to the King of Life for help, Josiah attempts to determine if this is normal sickness or if it's of demonic influence.
    Alright, before I try to heal her, let's see if she's sick because of some sort of evil.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There's no signs of possession or demonic influence on her - her eyes are normal, though weak; her fingernails are cut short, and not sharp; there's nothing that smells wrong about her, either. Plus, there's the fact that she isn't floating about with her hair being blown around by unholy winds, attacking the Dog with a bloodlust sent straight from the bowels of hell to assault the Faithful and all that's good in the world.

If you didn't know any better, you'd swear she might just be sick with whooping cough.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And with that, let's conflict this sickness away.

Stakes: Do I heal Sister Madeline?

Setting: Right here, right now

Initial conflict level: Jus' talkin'

Just Talking (Acuity and Heart): 5d6+3d6

There in the quiet room, as Josiah prays and as Sister Madeline lies sick, the young Watchdog attempts his first healing out of training. Sweat begins to bead upon Josiah's head. He was beginning to feel pressure. He knows what's expected of him and knows that he has no one to fall back on if he fails.

(dice: 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1)

Raise:

Josiah's prayer turns from a silent prayer of assistance to a verbal prayer for healing.

"King of Life, we know you're incredible power. We know you can heal all things. Please, remove this sickness from the body of your faithful here." The Watchdog's voice slowly gets louder. "Heal Sister Madeline of this disease afflictin' her body so that she may return to worship you as she once did."

(dice: 5, 4)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Healing conflict (4d6=5,2,3,2 3d10=4,7,9)

(dice: 9,7,5,4,3,2,2)

TAKE THE BLOW:
    Your prayer calls to Madeline's soul, and the spirit within answers with a breath of life; a sudden intake of breath comes to Madeline, and her eyes start to brighten again. The sickness hasn't gone fully, but there's been a blessing upon her life, and her ability to breathe clearly seems to be a part of that.
    (dice: 4,3,2)

RAISE:
    But deep breath leads to an even stronger coughing. With a hoarse hacking, the air she just inhaled comes out in a series of huge, loud coughs that echo in the room. Whatever's inside of her is working overdrive to keep her sick, and it's going to take something stronger than plain ol' prayer to get rid of it fully.
    (dice: 9,5)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

(dice: 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1)

Taking the blow:

Josiah jumps back as the fit of coughing continues from Madeline, slightly surprised. But that's all it took back in school. What do I do now? The Watchdog racks his brain as he tries to figure out what to do next.

(dice: 5, 4, 3, 2)

Raise:

Then he gets an idea. As Madeline continues her coughing, he slowly lifts her to a sitting position and pats her on the back. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense but Josiah is almost positive he read it somewhere during his studies.

(dice: 5, 4)

(dice: 1) (fallout: 4d4)
    I'm assuming at this point that the fallout is only d4's. Let me know if I'm wrong, simon.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yep, d4's are for mental damage.

GIVE:
    A few coughs later, each of which grew progressively softer and calmer, Sister Madeline doesn't seem so sick anymore. She's still pale, but she can talk without coughing up a storm; a good sign she's on the road to recovery. All she needs now is a bowl of chicken soup, and she'll be set.

"Th... thank you," she sputters out, "I feel a might bit better now..."

She looks over at the Dog and, recognising his coat fully for the first time, puts a hand over her mouth.

"You're a Watchdog," she exclaims, "You've come to deal with that demon, Dinah, then?"
    And we get to roll all the delicious Fallout!

Same procedure as with Eleazar - roll all those dice, take the highest two and check for any 1's.

Fallout (3d4=4,1,4)

That's just an example roll, however - since you weren't actually in conflict with Madeline (you were in conflict with the incorporeal town troubles), she doesn't get any Fallout per se. This was just a little experience session for you!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whee! Fallout.

Fallout: 4d4: [1, 3, 3, 3]

Sweet. Looks like I get short-term fallout and experience fallout.

Short-term:
    Take a 1d4 trait called "I've gotta tickle in the back of my throat" as a side effect to being around someone who was sick.

Experience:
    Maybe up my Will to 4d6 (from 3d6) to represent more confidence now that I've healed someone outside of training.

How do those sound? I'll make the changes if no one has any objections.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think I can agree to those changes. He's put his training to use in the real world, and being around a sick woman is probably going to make him sicker, even if it's only just in his head. Yeah, they're fine!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm... well, Eleazar was headed back to the Stewards house, and I'm not really sure how much time has passed since he left.

Also, I have guests coming into town this weekend, so I'll probably be around significantly less from tonight to Sunday.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In that case, I'm gonna leave and... find something else. :P I guess you can meet up with us later?

Aidan nods. "You make a good point," he says, "but I don't think I want to turn this over to the Territorial Authority just yet. Let us Dogs see if there isn't more to it than there appears to be." He smiles to soften his words, he stands up slowly as he continues, "Thank you again for a very fine meal. I'm going to take a look around town and see what my Brothers have been up to." He dons his hat and strides, as quick as politeness allows, out of the house and into the street.
    Going to leave this open in case you want something to happen, simonwolf.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh man, I think that's something that needs to be established - my role at the GM in Dogs in the Vineyard isn't to plan anything out or have a grand plot in mind, my job is to play the town and react to all your actions. If you guys don't do anything, then I can't do anything. It's very different from other games, and it's a mindset that we all need to get into if we're going to run this.

Simply put: saying, "I go outside and wait for something to happen", isn't going to cause anything to happen. For one, it's nightfall in a psuedo-Mormon town, people aren't going to be walking along the streets looking for a Dog to solve all their problems. It's not my place to decide how you find out the town's problems.

You've been given a list of names, you've been told who's been making trouble in town. Might be an idea to start investigating these leads.

That said, I'll at least confirm the position of the Steward...

As Brother Aidan leaves the house, Sister Anne rises to her feet and lowers her head respectfully. She seems grateful that the Dogs are in town and actually listening to people's problems, looking to solve them as well. The Faithful of Oxford are relying on these people to solve all their problems; time would tell if this was a leap of faith or not.

Soon as Aidan leaves the Steward's residence, the man himself comes walking along, back from somewhere in the west. He tips his hat at the Dog, then proceeds back into his own house, leaving Aidan to his own business.

Seems like the Dog will have to choose his own path, instead of it being handed to him on a platter of milk and honey.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, we've kinda got a weird thing going on here where the most natural place for Aidan to go, the ranch, is where Eleazar's coming from. In the interest of keeping things moving, let's say he either gets lost or quietly joins Aidan, depending on where kuhlmeye decides he wants to be when he can post. :)

Aidan looks to the west, then down each road in turn. He's wondering where the Eleazar and Josiah have gotten to, but after a moment he shrugs -- a gesture meant for no one in particular -- and starts walking. The other Dogs can handle themselves, and he's not afraid of a teenage girl.

He's going towards the ranch he saw on the way into town. A town this small wouldn't normally have more than one ranch, so odds are it was Jesse's. Even if he's wrong, few people would react badly to a visit from a Dog.

He comes up to the house and stands outside for a minute. He's idly contemplating his approach to the visit and wondering how a young, persecuted murderess would react to a visit from a Dog. Guilt? Fear? Anger? Supplication? He shrugs, again, to himself, and knocks on the door.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    "Th... thank you," she sputters out, "I feel a might bit better now..."

She looks over at the Dog and, recognising his coat fully for the first time, puts a hand over her mouth.

"You're a Watchdog," she exclaims, "You've come to deal with that demon, Dinah, then?"

Josiah stares at the woman sitting in front of him. Strong words from her already, he thinks to himself. Well, the Steward did warn me she felt this way.

He turns his attention back to her. "I'm here to deal with any sin that may be in the town. I heard about what happened and would like to get more information before I condemn anyone." He sits down next to her. "What makes you so sure she murdered Brother Jesse?"

He prepared himself for what he was sure would be an outburst of emotion and a long story. But this was the type of information he needed if he was to find the real sin and weed it out of the town.
    My posts will be more consistent next week as I'll be back from vacation. Sorry for so few.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There's a movement from inside the ranch house, and the door opens inwards, revealing a tall, well-built looking boy with a shock of brown hair on his head. He looks to be about the same age as Aidan, but he's got a deep tan from working in the sun all day. He looks you up and down, takes in your coat and, after a time, gives a small smile.

"Well hello there, Watchdog," he says with friendliness, "Name's Brother Davis Sharpless."

Sharpless. Another member of that blood-cut family - must be Jesse and Madeline's son. From all recollection, Dinah wouldn't even be old enough to have been born at the same time as David.

There's a pause, then a look of realisation comes over his face. He knows why you're here, now. His shoulders slump, and he takes a step back, motioning with a sweeping gesture that Aidan should come inside.

"I suppose you're here to see Dinah," he says, reluctantly, "She's in her room upstairs. I'll show you the way."
    - - - - - - -

"What makes me so sure?"

She glares at you. Weak and recovering as she is, there's still a fire in her eyes over the matter of what Dinah's done. She's genuinely outraged that you'd even begin to question what she knows about the situation.

"She murdered my husband in our own damn house," she continues angrily, "I was not two rooms away when I heard that bottle smash and my husband's gurgled scream. Little demon didn't even run for help, just sat there in the corner of her room, staring at his bleeding corpse. That's how I found her, without even a hint of remorse for her actions."

With a large amount of effort, she swings her legs around and sits on the edge of her bed, body trembling from a combination of remaining sickness and pure vehemence.

"She killed my husband, and now she's living among us, without a care in the world, soaked to the bone in my dear husband's blood. Are you going to let that stand, Watchdog? You're going to just let her get away with murder?"

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aidan stretches out his arms in a welcoming gesture, "I'm here to see anyone wants to see me," he says, and pauses, "and maybe some that don't," he adds with a sheepish smile.

"But I 'spose I should talk to Sister Dinah first. How is she doing?" he asks as he follows Davis upstairs.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Look, yellin' and gettin' in a huff at me isn't gonna help the situation. I'm trying to figure out what happened. Now, calm down and let's see if we can talk this through." The dog stands back up and readjusts his coat.

"You tell me she murdered him while you were in the other room. Was there any strange noises before then? Also, did Brother Jesse have trouble with drinkin'?"

Yes, his questions were direct and would probably get her more riled up but at this point, Josiah didn't care. All he's looking for is the truth.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "She's... recovering," Davis says, leading Aidan along, "She's been through a lot, since my father's death and what my mother was saying about her... when you've got half the town shoutin' about you bein' a murderess, might feel a lttle awful yourself."

It takes but a minute to make it upstairs, and the pair ends up standing outside a room with an open door. Inside, you can see a young girl who barely looks 16 sitting on the edge of a bed, reading from a worn copy of the Book of Life. She looks up and smiles at David, then notices the decorated coat that Aidan wears.

"Hello there," she says softly.

"This is Brother Aidan," David says to her, then turns to Aidan and says, "This is Dinah, sir. I'll head downstairs."

As he moves off, he turns back to Aidan and continues, "I'll be in the kitchen when you're finished, if you wouldn't mind comin' to see me. Think you might be able to help me with something, if you'd be so kind."

With that, he heads down the stairs and leaves Dinah and Aidan alone to talk.
    - - - - - - -

She glares at Josiah for a second, then looks down at the ground. Your questions have rattled her a bit, maybe because she's just used to people taking her word on the affair and not asking any questions that might ruin her story. After a moment, Madeline starts talking again, but her tone has changed - she's thought these words through.

"Weren't no strange noises," she says, "None at all. Just killed him in cold blood. My husband wasn't even a drinker, I'll have you know, so don't you dare tarnish my dear Jesse's memory by accusing him of such sinful deeds."

She coughs a few times, but they aren't as heavy as they were before.

"Thank you for fixin' me up, Watchdog, but I think I'd like to sleep it off now."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aidan nods to David as he leaves, then turns to Dinah and gives her a friendly smile. He can't help but sympathize for the girl and her tumble into adulthood, tragedy, and persecution, but he tries to detach and harden his feelings -- there may not just be a teenage girl sitting in front of him.

"Hello," he says. He steps into the room and places his hand on the least comfortable chair he sees, "May I sit?" he asks. She is, after all, the lady of the house.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey, I'm still alive! Sorry about not posting yesterday, trying to recover from the flu. Post incoming in a little bit.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Josiah nods his head. He probably got all the useful information he could from her at this point anyway. Standing up, he nods his head and tips his hat as he walks for the door.

Exiting the small building, he begins his trek towards the Steward's house. He arrives at the house after a couple of minutes giving him time to think. He knocks once more, eager to continue his search for answers.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Eep, sorry about the lack of posting, guys. I have not been in the right headspace for roleplayin' these past few days, but I think I might be getting out of that funk now. Here's some delightful insanity from the people of Oxford!
    - - - - - - -

Dinah nods her head, and watches as the Dog takes his seat in the room. She closes the Book of Life and places it down on the bed next to her, delicately placing the ribbon marking her page as she does so. She seems remarkably calm, even though she's in the presence of something like a judge upon the Faithful.

Perhaps she doesn't have anything to fear.

"I suppose you're here about what happened with Jesse," she says, softly.

She takes in a deep breath, looking at Aidan from head to toe, then smiles at the Dog and shrugs her shoulders.

"I'm glad you came to town when you did," she continues, "Having someone impartial to the family matters with help resolve the situation fairly, I think. I'll answer all your questions, if it'll bring peace to Oxford."
    - - - - - - -

Madeline respectfully lowers her head as the Dog exits, and shuffles herself back under the bedcovers.

After his brief journey, Josiah finds the door to the Steward's house opening under his knocks, as if the Steward had been waiting there the whole time. The table has been cleared, and Sister Anne is nowhere to be seen; the only living thing in the whole visible house is Steward Bynum, and he looks Josiah up and down.

"Suppose things went well with the Sister," he says quickly, then motions for the Dog to enter. He barely lets Josiah into the room before opening his mouth again, clearly in a hurry to get things said and done.

"Now listen here, Josiah," he says with a hint of urgency, "There's a small matter we need to discuss. The Sharpless wives are widows, now, and that ain't a good thing for a woman to be. They need someone to protect them and shelter them, and, well, I think the King of Life wants me to take them both on as wives. Said so to me in my dreams, as of late, which we both know is a sign from He Himself. Was hoping you might be agreeable to the idea."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Don't know about that one, Steward. Seems to me like you're having trouble controlling Sister Carmel to me. Maybe you had the dream but wouldn't the King of Life expect you to be able to handle two wives before taking on four?"

Josiah removes his hat and moves further inside the house. His feet were tired and he wanted to rest. Plus, a nagging itch in the back of his throat begins to bother him.

EDIT:
    Do I know how old the Steward happens to be? Maybe a general idea?

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Never mind this post...

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DitV is a storytelling game. You go wherever the hell you want to be, so long as it keeps the story moving in an interesting direction.

Aidan smiles back. For now, it's best he keep her at ease. "Please tell me exactly what happened," he says.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think I said so in the first intro to the town, but it might not have been clear - you think that Bynum might be in his late 40's, maybe getting close to 50.

"Now, Carmel might be a little rambunctious," he says with a cough, "But she's a good girl at heart, and she'll be back under my wing once we give her a stern talking to. Nothing wrong with me causin' her odd ways, I'll have you know."

He coughs again, almost to distract you from what you were just talking about. But he's still stuck on the idea of marryin' the Sharpless widows, and he closes the door and follows Josiah into the house, hanging on his heels until they reach the seats at the meal table.

"Sharpless widows are going to need someone to look after them, and I've got wealth and room enough to spare, and I have the King of Life's approval. Seems like I got everything needed to take them both on."
    - - - - - - -
    Eleazar is currently wherever you want him to be! If you want him to get there right as the Steward closes the door on Josiah, then you're welcome to get there - just assume the door was open and walk on in. If you want to see Aidan heading into the Sharpless ranch and follow behind, go on and go there. Golden rule here is that you aren't allowed to put yourself into a scene where the characters involved have already established without having some narrative backing you up.
    - - - - - - -

Dinah lowers a hand to the Book of Life beside her and sighs lightly.

"Before we were married, Brother Jesse had been in love with me," she started, trying to get the root of the story out, "Some would have called it obsessed, I suppose, but the town went and decided he was a good man, and deserved another wife. So we were wed, but with me still being a girl, we never... consummated. Not until I was ready, and he agreed.

"But Sister Madeline, my senior wife, she told me all kinds of things about marriage that I hadn't known before. The horrors and pain of the marriage bed, the awfulness of pregnancy and the agony of childbirth... I was terified of the consummation, and couldn't stand to have relations with Jesse. He seemed to be patient with me, so I left things as they were, and things seemed to be going fine.

"Then that fateful night, he came to me in my bedroom. He was all mussed up and red-faced and reeking of hard liquour, and he dropped a bottle on the ground and came at me. I screamed for help, but nothing came - suppose Madeline must have been out of the house - and Jesse he... he laid hands upon me, sir."

She turns her head to Aidan, showing a partially-healed bruise along the side of her head. She sighs, again, before turning her head back and continuing the story.

"I tried to stop him, told him not to, but he wasn't listening. He was drunk, sir, and full of ideas of sin. He threw me to the ground and lay on me, started hitching up my dress... I did the only thing I could think of. I grabbed that broken bottle and tried to fend him off, but my first strike cut open his throat. I didn't mean to kill him, sir, I was just trying to defend myself."

simonwolf on