Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] Down to Oxford Branch

12346

Posts

  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eleazar can stay in the conflict, if it means that much to him!

    Josiah should definitely roll his Fallout now, though.

  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GIVE:
    Eleazar sees his fellow Dog back down. That means something to him. Time for him to back down too. He want's to say something, but the lack of support from Josiah makes him reconsider.

    "Well then Steward, let's head down there and see if we can't figure out this problem."
    Yeah, I'm not gonna continue fighting if you back down. It's gonna be awkward once we go find the stewards wife though!

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    And the Fallout:

    Fallout: 3d4 = 4,4,3

    Ouch, poor rolls... Guess that leaves me with long-term fallout.

    I'll take a 1d4 trait called "I'm too blunt." How does that one sound?

    EDIT: Oh yeah, I'd like to spend one of my d6 relationship dice with Steward Bynum.

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking back on the reason you took Fallout, it wasn't because you were too blunt - it was because you let yourself be convinced that the Steward knew better than you did.

    If you were going to take a trait, you'd need it to be called something very different, something relating to the fact that you can't push your authority onto the congregation. That, or use it in a different way - maybe you should take that relationship with the Steward at 1d4, or change "I'm not physically intimidating" to d4s, since blocking that door didn't help you for shit.

    As for the Steward... Fallout (5d4=4,4,2,4,1)

    Experience: Bynum will add 1 to his Will score, to represent his unflinching confidence in himself and his authority over the Dogs in this matter.
    Long-term: Bynum will take a 1d4 relationship with the Dogs (the institution itself).

  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I like the idea of changing "I'm not physically intimidating" to d4's. I think I'll do that. Still wanna use my relationship dice for the Steward. I think we're coming to an understandin', him and I :)

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Done! Guess people are waiting on me for a post now...

    The matter settled, Bynum opens the door and steps out, and he expects the Dogs to be following along. Night is setting in a bit further, now, but there's enough light to see the pathway to the ranch. His hand on that gun the whole time, the Steward doesn't break a sweat as he briskly walks to the den of his nemesis.

    Up that dirt path, towards the Sharpless Ranch, he looks at the barn and glances over at Eleazar and asks, "Is that where you last saw him?"

    He doesn't even wait for an answer before he marches to the door and gets ready to enter.

  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Josiah stays silent the entire way to the ranch. The Steward was on a mission. He had a right to be upset and Josiah knew there was no way to nudge him down a different route. Josiah's objective at this point is just to ensure everything goes as smoothly as it can.
    I'm sure Josiah's a bit naive here. Everything I know about DitV tells me this won't be smooth. Hehe.

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope no one has a problem with me entering the scene at this point?

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eleazar opens his mouth to respond, but it appears as though the Steward wont need it. Watching as the man prepares to open the door, Eleazar can't help but feel that this will only lead to a bad situation.
    I don't mind if you jump in here! I think we'll need all the help we can get.

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aidan steps out of the house just in time to see the armed Steward and the Dogs approach the ranch. "Shit," he says under his breath.

    "Brothers," he says as he approaches the trio, "what brings you out here, at this hour?"

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Dealing with business that should have been settled a long, long time ago," comes the Steward's reply.

    Then with a grunt, he heaves open the door of the barn and looks in. There's a lantern shining inside there, now, and the scene inside is fully illuminated for all to see. John Bad Teeth and Sister Carmel aren't in the hay, anymore, they're just standing in the orange light and holding each other. It'd be quite a pretty scene if it wasn't for the middle-aged man in the doorway. The man who just pulled out his revolver and was pointing it straight at John Bad Teeth.

    "Alright," he says calmly, stepping forward, "You've gone and done it now, Bad Teeth."

    The gun is levelled right at John Bad Teeth's head, and the Steward walks into the barn, then motions with his free hand to the Dogs behind him.

    "We're here to run you out of town," he continues, "And I'd suggest you come along without a fuss."

    John and Carmel aren't holding each other, anymore - John's standing tall, staring right at the gun that's glinting in the pale light, while Carmel has stepped away in shock. She turns her head to the door and sees Eleazar, and her mouth drops slightly as she stares at the Dog.

    Her eyes say everything she can't - disbelief and shock at him bringing the Steward here, after their previous conversation.

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Standing behind the Steward, Aidan crosses his arms in front of his chest. "Speak for yourself, Steward," he says firmly.
    Shit's gonna get complicated.

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Josiah shoots a quick glance towards Aidan after his comment. Strange as it sounded, he actually agreed with the Steward. John Bad Teeth had to go.
    Yup, real complicated :)

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry guys, but it's not gonna be that easy. Especially after my earlier conflict! :P

    Oh no. Eleazar can barely look at Carmel. He pulls his hat a little further down over his eyes. Reaching his hand out to Bynum, keeping away from eye contact with Carmel the entire time.

    "Now Steward, we agreed that we weren't gonna do anything hasty. I don't think we need to resort to guns in this situation. It's only gonna cause a whole heap of trouble if you do."

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Steward keeps his gun up for a second, pointing it straight at John's chest. His eyes are unflinching and ice cold. But when Eleazar speaks his piece, he silently puts that big ol' revolver of his back into its holster and steps forward to grab John's shoulder with one leathery hand.

    "Alright, no guns," he says, "But we're running him out of town."

    Sister Carmel steps up to him and starts to bluster out an interruption with, "Bynum, you take your-"

    "Shut your goddamn mouth, Carmel," the Steward shouts, cutting her off, "We'll deal with your mess later. Right now, me and the Dogs here are going to take John Bad Teeth to the town limits and kick him off."

    Sister Carmel slinks back a step, but her fury is plain to see.

    Bynum pushes John forward, towards the barn door, and his intentions are clear - unless anyone stops him, he's going to go through with his plan and get rid of John Bad Teeth's stain on this community for all time.
    oh god the sides in this conflict are going to confuse the shit out of me

  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    In his mind, the sinner is obvious in this situation so Josiah acts. He walks to the door in the same manner he did at the Steward's house not more than an hour ago. This time, though, he simply opens the door easing the Steward's exit of the barn. John Bad Teeth has to go.
    The potential conflict here has some real potential for craziness :)

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well then, this is gonna be awkward! I think I'm only gonna have John and Carmel on my side here. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

    The Stakes! Does Steward Bynum get John Bad Teeth outside?
    The sides? I'll leave that up to my fellow Dogs and simon to decide.
    Starting out at Physical.
    Gettin Physical! (Body + Heart) (7d6=24)

    Dice: 6,6,6,3,1,1,1

    RAISE:
    Eleazar knows he can't just stand by while this happens. He has to do something, especially after his earlier talk with Carmel. He knows he can take steps to stop this, and does just that. Moving his feet, Eleazar steps in between the door and Bynum's path, giving a small look toward Carmel, then shifting his gaze back to Bynum.

    "Like I said, Steward, let's not do anything hasty. I think we ought to take a moment to talk this over, and I'm sure there are others here who agree with me."

    (6,1)
    Dice: 6,6,3,1,1
    Steward Bynum must see.
    I think?

    Sorry guys, but I have to!

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, before anyone else does any Raising, we'll draw up sides and work out the NPC roster from there. I don't really want to be putting the NPCs in positions where I'll be raising and Seeing them against each other, so most likely Carmel and John will become assisting NPCs to give a selected Dog +2 between some stats and a 1d6 trait.

    People Who Want John Out: Steward Bynum, Brother Josiah
    People Who Don't Want That: Brother Eleazar, Sister Carmel, John Bad Teeth
    Still to place: Brother Aidan

  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Ooh, interesting conflict here. Outta make things interesting between us since Josiah is pretty much convinced Sister Carmel is wrong and John needs to go.

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Eleazar is pretty much the exact opposite. Let the fun commence!

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aidan is Don't Want That, for reasons that will hopefully be clear.

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Aw yeah. Me vs Everyone. Hehe.

    I'm making enemies with my only allies...

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, well! For this conflict, Carmel and John will be assisting NPCs.

    Aidan will get +1 to Body and +1 to Will, and a 1d6 trait called 'John Bad Teeth'.
    Eleazar will get +1 to Heart and +1 to Will, and a 1d6 trait called 'Sister Carmel'.

    Steward will roll his full dice.

    Again, I'm doing this specifically so I don't have NPCs raising against NPCs, which would be incredibly boring for everyone if I was just Raising and Seeing back and forth against myself.

    When you have an assisting NPC, basically it means you get that NPC as your tool for the combat. They can be controlled by you in the narrative, and likewise things can be Raised against them for you to See. If they get shot or punched, however, the person controlling them takes mental fallout - even I shoot John Bad Teeth and you take Fallout, what you roll is in d4s.

    Heart 5 + Acuity 6 + 1d4 Relationship with John Bad Teeth + 1d4 Relationship with the Dogs (11d6+2d4=5,5,3,4,5,2,3,6,3,2,1,3,4)

    (dice: 6,5,5,5,5,4,4,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,2,1)

    SEE:
    "We already talked this over, Eleazar," Bynum replies quickly, his anger almost bubbling out, "You agreed to come out here and help me fix this problem, same as Josiah. And the way to fix this problem is to get this son of a bitch out of Oxford. I didn't think you were one to walk away from your word!"
    (dice: 4,3)

    Escalating to Physical - Body 4 (4d6=5,3,3,3)

    RAISE:
    Bynum returns his focus to the Mountain Man at his hand, and he pushes John's shoulder to make him start walking forwards again and towards the door. He might be done talking, for now, and all he wants to do is get this Mountain Man outside so his dark business can be done.
    (dice: 5,5)
    Eleazar and Aidan must See.

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

    (6,6,6,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,2,1)

    SEE:
    "I couldn't know what they said," Aidan says as he steps in front of the door, "but I never agreed to such a thing, and Dogs make decisions as a group." He speaks firmly, though memory of his own agreements make his words ring a bit hollow to himself.
    (dice: 4,6)

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slight correction! Taking the Blow means you have to accept the terms of the Raise, which in this case would mean you can't block the door. You can keep the same fallout and that, but the main rule of Taking the Blow is that the terms of the Raise are accepted by you.

    Like, if someone hits you with an axe, you can't take the blow by saying, "I dodge the axe, but he's shattered my fighting confidence". You gotta get hit by that axe!

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    'kay. Changed it to a even see.

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    And here are Josiah's rolls.

    Physical (Body + Heart) + Relationship with Steward Bynum: 2d6=(2,1); 3d6=(1,1,3); 1d6=(3)

    Wow, those rolls are horrible....

    (dice:3,3,2,1,1,1)

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so I get to add 1d6 from my bonus Heart, and I forgot that I have a 1d4 relationship with Carmel, so I rolled that too.
    +1 to Heart, Relationship with Carmel (1d6=6, 1d4=2)
    Dice: 6,6,6,3,2,1,1
    TAKING THE BLOW
    As the Steward pushes John forward, Eleazar seemingly runs out of words to say. His mouth opens, but the words don't come out. As the pair reaches him, John bumps into Eleazar, and it knocks him back a step. Eleazar now stands just out of line with the door.

    (6,3,1)
    Dice:6,6,2,1 Fallout (3d6)
    That's the correct size fallout?

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry about the delay, guys! I had a job interview today (which I succeeded at) so I wasn't around to update before. I also went and saw the film Mao's Last Dancer! It was pretty good.

    Anyway, Eleazar will be taking d4 fallout - d6s are for when you get physically hit, like with a punch or something intending to hurt you. A little bump really only counts as mental fallout, like what you just took.

    I also have an apology to make - I raised out of turn! This is due to me generally always rolling extremely high dice, so I assume I am the best at all times.

    Next up is Aidan, followed by Josiah.

    For quick reference:
    (Bynum's dice: 6,5,5,4,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,2,1)
    (Eleazar's dice: 6,6,2,1) (fallout: 3d4)
    (Aidan's dice: 6,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,2,1)
    (Josiah's dice: 3,3,2,1,1,1)

  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Well, if "I had a job interview today (which I succeeded at)..." means you got the job, congratulations! I guess there are things more important than DitV on PbP... :)

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is exactly what it means! It is going to be weird, I have never actually had a full-time job. But, it is a desk job, so I imagine I will have plenty of time to post in my games.

  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Congrats on the job! Now help me find a good one!

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Hey, that's when I do the majority of my posting. Of course, we're getting busy right now so my posts have become more sporadic but I do what I can to finish my job and continue posting. I'm sure you'll find time to continue posting.

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Next up is Aidan, followed by Josiah.

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm alive! I should've mentioned I'd be silent for a couple days. :)

    (6,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,2,1)

    RAISE:
    "You ain't doin' what's best for your flock here, Steward. You're doin' what's best for you."
    (dice: 5,6)

    twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Cool, no worries. Just making sure you didn't miss it :)

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    (Bynum's dice: 6,5,5,4,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,2,1)

    TAKING THE BLOW:

    Hearing Aidan's words, he tries to make a snappy response, something to put that Dog in his place like the others had been, but Bynum's mouth just dries up. He knows that the town wants John gone - most of them, at least - but this... this little push was all based on what Carmel had gone and done with the heathen Mountain Man.

    A little bit of shame sunk into Steward Bynum, as he considered his actions again.
    (dice: 3,3,3,2)
    Sorry about the delay on this one, guys.

    Josiah's up!

  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    "I'm not physically intimidating at all.": 1d4=4

    Whoo! My best dice roll comes from a d4....

    (dice:4,3,3,2,1,1,1)

    Raise:

    Josiah puffs himself up, trying to look as big as possible. The other dogs were much larger than him but he still wanted them to back down.

    He lets go of the door and moves around to the front of the other dogs, planting himself between them and the Steward.

    "My fellow dogs, you know full well that are job here is to protect the flock and sometimes that means cuttin' out the sin. John Bad Teeth here and Sister Carmel are sinnin' and the best way to remove the sin is to take John Bad Teeth from town. He's not faithful. He couldn't care less 'bout our morals or the King of Life."

    (dice:4,3)
    Eleazar and Aidan must see.

    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dice: 8,6,6,2,1

    REVERSE THE BLOW
    Eleazar's face scrunches up for a moment. Something Josiah said just doesn't make sense to him.

    "So Brother, you think that cuttin out the sin, no questions asked, is the way to handle it? That the way we Dogs do things? I grew up in a town filled with sin, but there aint been one time where I aint got the chance to repent. I suggest you think about your teachings before you start talking bout kicking people outta town."

    (8)

    PSN: the-K-flash
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aww crabapples

    As a reminder, guys, this raise marks the end of the round - after this, the order will depend on the dice still in everyone's pools. Measure it for yourselves, if you'd be so kind! Assuming Aidan doesn't use either of his 6s, the order will be: Eleazar, Aidan, Bynum, Josiah.

Sign In or Register to comment.