As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread lacks tentacles

13»

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    what an odd way to necropost.

anyway, im not sure what you mean by character fusion. you can use a gig edict to combine two squads, so that a 4-man and 5-man squad becomes a 9-man squad.

ability combos work several ways.

some come when you put the hero and another story character together.
    some come when you put, say, one melee and two ranged together, or one magic and two melee.
    some come when you put 4 soldiers together, or 6 bandits, or 8 saboteurs, or what-have-you.

and they aren't one-or-the-other. you get access to as many combos as you can cram into a room. oh, with one exception. if you put, say, 4 soldiers together you get a combo. but if you put 8 soldiers together, you get a ramped up version of that combo. but during battle you'll only get the ramped up version. and if one of those 8 soldiers dies, you can't use that combo anymore for that battle.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Was wondering if we were going to be graced with a new N1 RPG this fall, glad I'm not disappointed :)

Now I should just dust off Disgaea2 and try to get that last Treasure map to unlock the Land of Carnage. That is assuming I'm not driven mad by the Ambling pirates first ;p

I'm a little saddened to hear that there won't be a reincarnation system for this game, as that was one of my favorite things about previous games. Can you change the class of characters at all then, or are they stuck at what you start them out as?

JediNight on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    they are whatever you start them as. to be honest, this game doesn't really need/benefit from a reincarnation system, as you can just spend money to level up a new character to whatever level the main is currently at. and there's not anywhere near the level of post-endgame stuff to do, so uber-levels aren't really as important.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The trailer for this game is hilarious:
    "The People, the creatures - even the battle system itself - this game will let you annihilate everything.

Coming 2007, it will destroy your life!"

Hakunin on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Houk, will there be a preorder deal on NISA's website? I can't send NIS teh monies for this!

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey Ho-uk.

Tell me about Mana Khemia and when N-1 is going to localize it. I stumbled across some videos for it and it looks like absolute craziness.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFvLQiE4mI

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i dont think we've put up pre-orders yet, but when we do it'll be at www.rosenqueen.com, not our main site.

i don't know much about mana khemia myself, other than how it looks. i dont think we've finalized anything for it, but i wouldn't be surprised if we ended up doing it. since we havent even started, though, it wouldnt be out till sometime next year if we do it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's a small amount of info about Mana Khemia in the Atelier Series Apreciation thread OP. It's the official Atelier 9 although it's pretty damn different from what's come before in the series, It looks like it's taking most of the really cool stuff from Iris 3 and making it even more awesome, while working on the not so cool bits (although personally I don't see what some people's problem is with some of the stuff in AI3, it's different but if you go in with the right mindset none of it is really a strike against the game).

I'm playing Atelier Iris 3 right now and the battle system, while hardly the deepest thing ever, is pretty damn fun. It’s also what the MK system is based on. A lot of it is because there's very few useless or redundant moves but that in turn is thanks to the system making room for them all. There are a few more things to differentiate attacks than there are in most JRPG cmbat systems:

1) How much damage will the attack do. This is based on all the usual things, although special attacks (in other words everything except normal attacks and items) do something like 5* normal damage in burst mode.

2) How much burst gauge will it give you. This is based primarily on how many hits the attack consists of although it is modified by enemy weaknesses and resistances. It has nothing to do with damage although you do lose burst gauge based on damage taken from enemy attacks. When the burst gauge fills, you go into bust mode. In burst mode, the skill gauge fills to max (In AI 2 & 3 you have a sort of fighting game super meter shared between the entire party instead of a normal MP analogue. I won't discuss it in detail because they seem to have ditched it for Mana Khemia, which is a shame because IMO they had it balanced perfectly in AI3 where it was easy enough to accumulate that you didn't desperately need to save it for one particular character's most damaging move but limited enough to make you think about what you did use it for), all the enemies are broken (see below) and skills, as mentioned above, do silly damage. Every time you make an attack in burst mode you lose a chunk of burst gauge, you do still get it back but at a slower rate than normal so it will almost always be a net loss every turn. Certain skills when used gain their own initiative and will iterate a few times before they’re done, when one of these skills’ “turn” comes up in burst, you don’t lose burst gauge so by making the initial attack shortly before you enter burst mode you can significantly extend how long burst mode lasts for. The burst gauge starts each battle at zero.

3) How fast is the attack. After they take their action a character’s next turn will enter the initiative card gauge thing (ACCB gauge). For a normal attack, the icon for the character’s next turn will usually, depending on their speed attribute, be placed a little less than half way back along the ACCB gauge. Most skills put the character’s next turn a little more than halfway back along the ACCB gauge but this can vary hugely between stuff like (using AI3 examples because that’s what I know) an attack Nell has that only does about the same damage (outside of burst mode) for about the same burst gain as a normal attack but only puts her about a quarter of the way back along the ACCB gauge to a crazy attack that Edge gets in his Ninja class that hits all enemies and fills more than half the burst gauge.

4) How much stun does the attack inflict. Almost every attack will inflict a certain amount of stun on the enemy, when an enemy has a certain amount of stun they will “break”. When broken, an enemy’s next turn will be delayed significantly (although you can never tell for how long as they act strangely on the ACCB gauge). If an attack hits a broken enemy, every hit of that attack will be critical but the enemy will cease to be broken. Enemies also become unbroken if they get to act before an attack hits them.

That should explain roughly the relevant parts of the AI3 combat system (ACCB, I’m not going to tell you what it stands for because I can’t remember and it’s probably the silliest name I’ve ever seen for one of these things). For Mana Khemia, from what I can dig up and/or figure out from watching videos of the Japanese version, the following changes have been made.

There’s a new tag attack type system whereby in addition to three party members you have actively participating in battle at any given time you have three in a sort of support mode. Each support character has their own little gauge that when it fills up you can press a button during other characters’ attack animations (including support actions, so you can string several together) to tag them in, having them make a support action attack on the end of the currently acting party member’s attack and replace them in the active line up.

This is something I’ve only vaguely gotten an impression of from videos so I could be completely off base but I think they’ve added a feature whereby you can set a burst variation that alters the effects of burst mode.

There’s a funny tiered finish burst gauge that appears when in burst mode, I have no idea how it works or what it does but I think it might have something to doe with the crazy special attacks that flash up various Engrish terms with burst in them on screen.

Other stuff specific to Mana Khemia:

The alchemy system now has all your party members take part instead of just on alchemist character, you set a character to each ingredient and who gets assigned to what can alter how the finished product turns out.

Instead of normal levelling, characters gain AP from battle that can be spent on activating nodes on their (character specific) sphere grid type things. The twist is that for each node there is an item you have to have made using alchemy before you can activate it.

There’s some kind of day / night system along with a return from the pre-Iris games of events that happen at certain in-game times. Most of your party members are students at an alchemy academy and you have to deal with things like their taking exams.

wateyad on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So it's an SRPG that promises GTA-like freedom of ethics. I'm a little surprised this didn't come sooner. Looks pretty neat.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    they are whatever you start them as. to be honest, this game doesn't really need/benefit from a reincarnation system, as you can just spend money to level up a new character to whatever level the main is currently at. and there's not anywhere near the level of post-endgame stuff to do, so uber-levels aren't really as important.

No massive post-endgame stuff? Boo :(

It still looks fun though, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I guess with what seems like the ton of extra work to flesh out the main game, they didn't have as much time to add post-game goodies.

JediNight on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This talk of attacking towns intrigues me greatly. I would like to hear more about this.

Despite the low amount of Post Game content, I'm still quite excited about this game. Plus fighting a group of big bad evil guys called World Eaters just sounds cool.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hakunin wrote: »
    "The People, the creatures - even the battle system itself - this game will let you annihilate everything.

It's ok... but... um... Yeah. The voice actor is ok, but the writing and the voice actor don't mess well together.

This needs to be released already damnit. :(

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ugh, I was updating my games list today, and discovered this was pushed back a week.

Ah well. Persona 3, Rune Factory, and Luminous Arc to tide me over.

Official Page Updated, btw. Lots more story characters.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    KiTA wrote: »

It's ok... but... um... Yeah. The voice actor is ok, but the writing and the voice actor don't mess well together.

you dont like the monster truck announcer feel?

i think im gonna go cry. thanks a lot!!!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

you dont like the monster truck announcer feel?

i think im gonna go cry. thanks a lot!!!

Wait.

... Was that ... you reading that?

KiTA on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The "God of Destruction," eh? Is it Alexander from Makai Kingdom? Because that would be awesome.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    hahaha no. but it was me who wrote it. we didnt originally intend for that type of read, but when the guy read it that way we thought it was funny and different, so we used it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ah. Yeah, he read it one way but... I donno. It's like trying to read Hamlet in a Barney the Dinosaur voice. Just makes one's mental gears shift without a cluch.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ah. Yeah, he read it one way but... I donno. It's like trying to read Hamlet in a Barney the Dinosaur voice. Just makes one's mental gears shift without a cluch.

mental gear?!?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    youve just given me a great idea for our next trailer...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DOOO ITTTTT!

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the only problem is, i dunno if we can afford the real barney

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Dunno, could ask his publisher and see. :)

Failing that, just get the most bubbly sounding woman you could ever find. The woman who does Flonne's voice would work. And then get her on Helium while you record her.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

So get Bebop.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

So get Bebop.

Or Rocksteady.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I was cracking up laughing at the "IT WILL DESTROY YOUR LIFE" line lol...

I'm getting FF:Tactics vibes from Soul Nomad with how the world map is explained. Granted it seems like it will be plenty different too, but I'm just hoping that the main game is much longer this time to make up for little post-game stuff.

And is our favorite archer with frilly curls back!? =D

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Houk: I just saw the updated info about the Archer class on the website. No curly-haired archers! Nooooooo =*(

Nipponichi has failed me! ;p

JediNight on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2007
    Aroduc on
This discussion has been closed.