As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MiniPhalla] Antarctic Research Station - GAME OVER - FLAWLESS MAFIA VICTORY

1151617181921»

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I am enjoying a victory popsicle. It is icy and delicious.

So, Spectrum, give us some info on the setting. What were the evils, anyway?

Don't ask that! There are things that man is not meant to know!

Darian on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ok

so why kill me day one, you jerks?

hmph

i never would have had to worry about the hypothermia at least.

lonelyahava on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I am enjoying a victory popsicle. It is icy and delicious.

So, Spectrum, give us some info on the setting. What were the evils, anyway?

And what does the Antartic Research Facility (A.R.S.) have to do with S.T.A.R.S.?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Right, so the initial idea was based on there being SO many inactives, both villagers and mafia, in the past few games. I wanted something to punish that AND empty sheeping days on the network's lead. Thus, the idea was born to have the mafia have and auto-power to kill the lowest poster. Combine that with no activity requirement and I figured the village would pick up on it very, very quickly. I figured that someone would think about the fact that it's ME hosting and think "SPECTRUM HAET INACTIVES RAWR" and scratch their head at the no activity requirement. Combine that with the special callout that both votes AND posts after narration wouldn't be counted and I felt there were enough clues to piece that part together quickly.

Then, once the mechanic was clear, the village would start hunting down people who were posting alot before it was publicly known, as well as anyone who might not be posting alot, but instead only seemed to be just posting fluff.

(Sidebar: In the initial idea, before I even had Infidel look at it, I considered including an SK who autokilled the highest poster each day, but eventually considered that unworkable.)

Given the new mechanic, I figured I'd keep it simple. Vig, guard, seer, 2 masons, 5 mafia. Fairly standard. Then add a couple roles to deal specifically with the mechanic. First, I had it as the masons would each give out a heatpack, maybe they would be able to figure it out together much faster. After talking with Infidel, I changed that to masons sharing heat (which gives them rare survivability, since they're all but immune to the freeze kill) and a new special distributing them. Add a neutral who can steal heat and I was done.

So why is someone giving out heatpacks secretly? Someone stole them, of course. It was a simple jump from there to Boris. And once I had him, as Arivia surmised, I decided to go all-in with trope/archetype names. Hence why the vig is Vin Diesel, the guard is LL Cool J (thxu IRC discussion), the neutral is the CEO of Blackwater, and the other specials are Umbrella employees. (So the vig, guard, and neutral think they're in one theme, the mafia think they're in some mystical survival horror theme, the Umbrella specials think they're secretly in the RE Universe, and poor Boris is allll alone.) This mostly done for the lulz, but also to avoid a role call being even remotely possible.

What did I want people to take from the Day 1 narration? There was at least one idea per 'section'.
    The first introduced 5 mafia.
    The second introduced the stolen heatpack concept (so hopefully the Janitor wasn't completely out of left field). More importantly, it also had the clue that you needed to STAY ACTIVE to not die. (Which people did pick up on eventually.)
    The third was the deathplant.
    The fourth was a callout for the neutral.

So, what was obviously unexpected was the bloodbath on Day 1. I didn't expect quite THAT many people to be lined up on the same number. And then g_r's order came in. Everything was still fine, up until riiiiight at the last minute when Robos came in to make 2 posts. Whoops. (If it amuses you, we can consider this the anti-Tommy2Hands mechanic.)

The village still had a shot, especially when Darian's first order came in for Orange Soda. And then he changed it. It didn't help losing the Seer on Day 2 because Gumpy was in London, but losing the guard because Ebfan was gone (and he DID vote for the combined day and say he wouldn't be around. unfortunate.) was pretty much the deathblow.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    On reflection this game really wasn't balanced badly, we were really just the beneficiaries of a series of hilarious village special fuckups and managed to avoid making any glaring errors.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »
    Fun game, definitely. Thanks for running this, Spectrum, and well-played by team evil.

What made you ignore my list of EVIIILS? :P

Actually, you had v_w on your list:
    Any game where OS dies is a good game.

I don't know what to think of Kuhlm's reveal as a janitor. If we were going by the post count theory, wouldn't he have given a heat pack to Ebfan and saved our guardian? That didn't make sense to me.

Going by the top posters list, Vag winds is right at the top, followed by Houn. Would they be obvious enough to avoid the bottom if that were the mechanic?

Intuition wise, Dac Vin and Arivia are pinging my radar. Numerology wise, I got 3, 5, and 10. Which is Dac again, Dogbone the dead villager and Funky.

That's all I can tell so far.

And so did kuhlmeye:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    Darian wrote:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    Darian wrote:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    Hey, I'm giving you a heat pack tonight if I don't die first. Which I will.

Who did you give heat packs to in previous nights? Can anyone vouch for your ability?

Nope, because I played badly.

I caught up with the thread after I had sent that; people are rough, and this continues to be going very badly. :(

Also, I don't know if you have any info about Houn, V_W and dune, but I fully expect them to be mafia.

You also both had Houn... how different things would have been if I'd gone with that choice instead.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    Also, Houn, I so wanted to vig you day one just for making me cross your name off so many different voting lists, but I decided a mafia wouldn't put themselves out there so much. :(

Darian on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, Houn, I so wanted to vig you day one just for making me cross your name off so many different voting lists, but I decided a mafia wouldn't put themselves out there so much. :(

Well, on day one we had the major advantage of being the only ones who knew about the hypothermia mechanic.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2009
    As you'll note from the post counts, if kuhlmeye had given a heatpack to Ebfan, all it would have done was get Kay killed also. You would have had to not vote out garroad_ran, as he was the next lowest poster.

Hence the "would it have mattered?" (No.)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So in a overly simplified look at hypothermia, the activity requirements were shifted off the host and straight to the mafia.

Well alright, I don't give a fuck if my anger is unfounded or if the actual mechanic was not as bad as I thought (My idea was pretty much "anyone who doesn't pass an activity threshold dies"), I'm out of here. Maybe I'll come back to run some stuff or play again once I get a proof of people not being horrible anymore.

Dac Vin on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I pretty much don't do anything different when I'm evil. I post a lot, make tons of joke votes, and jump to really stupid conclusions. It's just my thing.

Houn on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well, on day one we had the major advantage of being the only ones who knew about the hypothermia mechanic.

Which also allowed the mafia to shoot themselves in the foot over it too.

Letting mechanics slip that the village isn't privy to is a big killer and that shit happens. :)

The balance wasn't so much the issue as the neutral getting nailed by the mafia and general not defending / convictions. Lots of proper leads were brought up, the village had the ability to win still even after the "blowout" of day 1, but people didn't stick with em.

Don't roll over to the bandwagon, people!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2009
    Once the mechanic was public, the strategy for the mafia would have been to try and trigger a multikill. Comparatively, the janitor (and maybe the neutral) would have been fighting to prevent a multikill (as helping the lowest doesn't matter unless they were a special). One strategy for the neutral would have been to leech from the second lowest person and see what happens. (Mafia tries to vig the lowest to multi, kills the leeched only.)

Nocturne was very, VERY close at times, he just never quite managed to take the final step in public or get one of his suspicions lynched.

ddj, on the other hand. Well...

Thanks to everyone for playing and BIG THANKS to Infidel, who had full proboard access, for critiquing mechanics.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Spectrum

Also, Darian: Why do you have to vig the airman while he's serving his country and saving lives? You freakin' anti-American.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey Darian, I gave you a list too. I told you we should kill B:L.

I even voted for him like every day too. My plan was to try to get vigged tonight and make it look like B:L wasn't also mafia, since the last two games he had a kill he tried to kill me.

Either way Kay, your math STILL didn't mean anything. Your 2nd assumption assumes that if either of us has a kill we WILL use it on the other at some point in the game. Your 1st assumption was that there was 5 mafia, which you had no way of knowing for sure.

The only reason your numbers meant anything was that there were so many mafia left at that point that you had a 60% chance of hitting any two people at random and hitting a mafia.

But by basing your reasoning on what me and B:L would and wouldn't do was flawed.

Orange Soda on
    edited October 2009
    Either way Kay, your math STILL didn't mean anything. Your 2nd assumption assumes that if either of us has a kill we WILL use it on the other at some point in the game. Your 1st assumption was that there was 5 mafia, which you had no way of knowing for sure.

The only reason your numbers meant anything was that there were so many mafia left at that point that you had a 60% chance of hitting any two people at random and hitting a mafia.

But by basing your reasoning on what me and B:L would and wouldn't do was flawed.

The five mafia was based on the day one narration, which we had been advised to read closely. I don't think it was too much of a stretch. But... why are you still arguing those numbers? Let it go!

Interestingly, based on recent evidence we can now see that B:L can only win as an evil if OS is also on his team.

Darian on
    edited October 2009
    Small Sample Size

Orange Soda on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Things I learned: when the option is between someone being mafia or being terrible, don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

No offense. :P

vagrant_winds on
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh mannnn, yeah, I definitely picked a bad time to join in a phalla where inactivity was the leading cause of death. I was really busy both on Friday and Saturday, so I ended up posting even less than I usually do (though to be fair usually I post little not because I'm inactive, but because I have little to add to the thread).

It was still a fun game to be in, for as long as I was, and to follow for the day that I wasn't. Thanks Spec.

garroad_ran on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Awaiting Dunadumb's usual I PEGGED x AND y AS MAFIA routine.

don't be mad because I correctly guessed the mechanic on day 2 (well close enough) and called out 2 badguys on one day of results... while only posting for maybe 2 hours during a weekend of constant drinking.

its not my fault!

Dunadan019 on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well this is something.

Heh, regardless I had fun Spec. Thanks for hosting!

Nocturne on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a great time, so thanks to Spectrum for hosting! Pretty cool concepts. Day one was kinda nuts but I guess you can't predict that, though in hindsight, since you were creating a Phalla to punish inactivity we could assume there'd be a bunch of two posters.

Yesterday was my lowest activity in a Phalla ever. I was online the entire day but completely braindead. I take some consolation in the fact that had I been more active someone else would have died in my place.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

don't be mad because I correctly guessed the mechanic on day 2 (well close enough) and called out 2 badguys on one day of results... while only posting for maybe 2 hours during a weekend of constant drinking.

its not my fault!

http://wolfsrainfall.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1&page=1#11

ololol

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

its not my fault!

http://wolfsrainfall.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1&page=1#11

ololol

but I was a serial killer that game and killed 2 guards in 2 nights....

but nice to know I have a following?

Dunadan019 on
    edited October 2009
    More what I learned: Anyone who agrees with my logic and turns my vote into a bandwagon has to be evil.

vagrant_winds on
    edited October 2009
    More what I learned: Anyone who agrees with my logic and turns my vote into a bandwagon has to be evil.

things that I have learned: In the next game I can convince vagrant_winds that the people who agreed with his logic are evil.

Dunadan019 on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zandracon on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sooo, I'm not terrible, see!

OS, are you still picking holes in my analysis? You and B:L were still alive, ergo, neither of you had kills, both of you were evil, or one of you was evil. I don't think either of you would use an evil kill to gank the other, but you would use a good-special kill, especially vigilante. Mainly because you call your kill, get your guard and network, and go!

Assuming there were five mafia was not a stretch - 20% of 25 is five, and as Spectrum stated, we were to read narrations etc carefully. And that also said five!

So the numbers on their own were pretty meaningless, as you could pick any two people. As I said, it only became interesting because the pair of you were both alive, and we KNEW that neither of you were the vigilante.

I hadn't really noticed anything else that was suspicious as such, though Houn's posting was pretty high right from the start. So was V_W's postcount, though. I could have put more time into post-count analysis at the weekend, but I had company for most of it, had NEW BOOKS for the rest, and thus didn't have a great deal of time for tabulation. The probability thing was very simple and took about 5 minutes on Sunday morning before company arrived.

But all in all, that was really cool - the hypothermia mechanic? I can see other people lifting that for games in different ways. It's a neat way to punish inactivity while giving another metric to analyse for mafia-huntin'.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited October 2009
    I should also remind that the mechanic was also there to punish mindless sheeping.

Network head says "hay guyz vote Dunadumb"
    "k !Dunadumb"
    "sounds good !Dunadumb"
    "baa baa !Dunadumb"

WHOOPS WHOLE LOTTA FROZEN SHEEP TOMORROW

Anything I missed writing up or that you guys want more information on?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Could someone have targeted Infidel for death :P

Orange Soda on
    edited October 2009
    Why am I never evil unless converted?
    Is there some host rule against it to preserve the order of the universe?

vagrant_winds on
    edited October 2009
    Could someone have targeted Infidel for death :P
    The Nemesis could have wrecked him, yeah. I don't know what would have happened if Saddler attacked him, but he probably could have survived that.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the anti sheep mechanic got me good when I was busy pegging bads?

Gotcha

Gumpy on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Sooo, I'm not terrible, see!

OS, are you still picking holes in my analysis? You and B:L were still alive, ergo, neither of you had kills, both of you were evil, or one of you was evil. I don't think either of you would use an evil kill to gank the other, but you would use a good-special kill, especially vigilante. Mainly because you call your kill, get your guard and network, and go!

Assuming there were five mafia was not a stretch - 20% of 25 is five, and as Spectrum stated, we were to read narrations etc carefully. And that also said five!

So the numbers on their own were pretty meaningless, as you could pick any two people. As I said, it only became interesting because the pair of you were both alive, and we KNEW that neither of you were the vigilante.

I hadn't really noticed anything else that was suspicious as such, though Houn's posting was pretty high right from the start. So was V_W's postcount, though. I could have put more time into post-count analysis at the weekend, but I had company for most of it, had NEW BOOKS for the rest, and thus didn't have a great deal of time for tabulation. The probability thing was very simple and took about 5 minutes on Sunday morning before company arrived.

But all in all, that was really cool - the hypothermia mechanic? I can see other people lifting that for games in different ways. It's a neat way to punish inactivity while giving another metric to analyse for mafia-huntin'.

My post count is always at the top end in any phalla I'm in. I tend to be chatty, though, especially when I'm at work.

Also, you should never assume you know someone else's motivations. B:L and OS have a public "grudge", sure, but both of them are smart enough to exploit that people know that.

Houn on
This discussion has been closed.