Options

Red Steel NOT horrible?

2»

• Options
    vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Secondly, yes, the voice acting and story are horrendous, but they're the kind of horrendous that's so bad, it's actually good. There are some truly (unintentionally) hilarious lines to be found throughout the game. One of my favorites involves an obscure reference to The Matrix, though there aren't really a lot of clever references like that. Most of the dialog is just plain ridiculous in its own right. There is one voice actor, though, that does raise the quality up a lot... but he just seems out of place when juxtaposed with everyone else. Anyway, those expecting an Oscar-winning movie in video game form need to realize that Red Steel is an homage to the truly horrendous, and at times hilarious, gun-fu action movies you hear all about but perhaps never got the chance to see. It's not supposed to be brilliantly crafted. Do you honestly think a studio like Ubisoft, the people who brought us Splinter Cell, just ran low on money and had to settle with horrible voice actors when they really meant to hire Jude Law? They know the game's story and voice work is terrible. That's what makes it so endearing.

This man speaks the truth. If there were more people like him out there when Superman 64 came out, maybe everyone would have realized it was a homage to all crappy DC games from the past and it would have became the platinum million seller it was destined to be.

vinhj on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    edit: Ubisoft did a commendable job with Red Steel and Rayman. But their other games? Splinter Cell DA, GT Pro Series, Far Cry? Port, port, crappy rushed half-finished port.

I like Splinter Cell DA.

The game itself is good... but it's about as straight and narrow a port you can possibly do from the GCN version. They didn't even allow you to aim your gun with the wiimote; instead, you guide the gun around by pointing an arrow.

It's a decent game and all, but I wish they would do something to take more advantage of the Wii, if not in hardware power, then at least in terms of controls.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    no, red steel is horrible

please, if you have been contemplating buying this game... DO NOT BUY IT!!! buy call of duty 3 if you must have a wii fps, but red steel is pretty much horrible

i regret spending $50 fucking dollars on it every time i remember i have it

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

What's that game you have? The one with the guns and swords? Red something...

Ah yes, Red Steel! Is that the one you have? Do you like it? I hear it cost $50 to people who bought it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    slash000 wrote:

What's that game you have? The one with the guns and swords? Red something...

Ah yes, Red Steel! Is that the one you have? Do you like it? I hear it cost $50 to people who bought it.
    No, that doesn't sound right. I think the game he's talking about is Red Steel, which he couldn't have spent less than $50 on.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Silvanos wrote:
    Have any of you actually played more than an hour of the game?

Wow. That came off as "your opinions are all wrong, and I think none of you have played this game very far in, because it's completely awesome". As both Gabe and Tycho have said, if developers can't make the first couple of hours of the game fun, why should we bother playing it?

Well, I didn't mean it to come off like that at all.

I only asked because I myself was disappointed by the game at first, but after playing it a little longer, I found that it was actually quite enjoyable.

I'm fine with the fact that people didn't like the game. I'm just curious if people are labeling the game horrible after only thirty minutes at a friends house or a good amount of time into it.

Also, vihnj, I don't think your comparison really works. I see Red Steel as intentionally paying tribute to the cheesy gun and sword action movies. I've never played Superman 64, but from what I gather, it's just a crappy game all around.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    Sinep04Sinep04 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    To the people saying that the game looks like an N64 game, please stop playing the screenshots. I have never seen the N64 even APPROACH the gfx in Red Steel. There are all sorts of details and lighting effects that aren't shown in the IGN and Gamespot shots. The game is definitely a step up from last gen (however mild it is.)

Sinep04 on
    Wii code: 5937 9801 0450 3128 PM me for the adding.
    DS friend codes coming soon.
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sinep04 wrote:
    To the people saying that the game looks like an N64 game, please stop playing the screenshots. I have never seen the N64 even APPROACH the gfx in Red Steel. There are all sorts of details and lighting effects that aren't shown in the IGN and Gamespot shots. The game is definitely a step up from last gen (however mild it is.)

That's right baby, beat the dead horse.

Oh, you're so dirty.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sinep04 wrote:

What really gets me is the uglyness of multiplayer. Couldn't they have made it at least look better than Halo 1?

Turkey on
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have it. An uncle gave it to me this Christmas. I got to say, it's not bad at all. It's just very average (until you make it up to the [spoiler:2bf13dfa88] "Games District" that is, [/spoiler:2bf13dfa88] 'fucking awesome level).

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like it. It's quite a fun game (though never really more than "quite fun"). The controls do take some getting used to, though, with some odd choices made. I was playing two-player multiplayer earlier on and when one killed the other, a friend of mine hummed the "You are dead" music from GoldenEye, and we all turned to him and laughed, nodded, and otherwise agreed that the game (and especially the multiplayer) had a very GoldenEye feel to it.

It's not the greatest, and the swordplay is regrettably limited (and it's damned tragic that they didn't include it in multiplayer)... but I like it. It's, well... quite fun!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I still think the crazy bunnies are supposed to be the Rabbids.
    The sound seems alike, anyway.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    JayKaos wrote:
    I still think the crazy bunnies are supposed to be the Rabbids.
    The sound seems alike, anyway.

I thought so too.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    Raybies666 wrote:
    Heard it sucked, was going to rent it and pick up far cry with my vouchers. Game only had Red Steel on the shelves. When I got to the counter I saw Far Cry behind the glass but stuck with what I had.

And when I'm getting along well with the controls, I'm enjoying it (learning curve is steep when your exhausted)

I really enjoyed the multiplayer too.
    Reviews seem to imply Far Cry is worse, so you probably made the right decision.

Oh dear god yes, i found this out after getting home and getting online.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    MrNarse wrote:
    If this game came out for a console using the dual analog control scheme, it would probably be one of the worst console FPS titles ever made.

I think there's an element of truth to this, though I probably wouldn't go so far to say it would be the worst. It's certainly an average game.

Having said that, average FPSs are probably the most represented genre in my PC game collection. I say PC, because as far as I'm concerned, dual analogue FPS controls are completely unusable. I can't play games that feature them. So, if it did come out for a console using the dual analogue control scheme, I wouldn't be playing it.

If I can get out of PC gaming and still have my average FPSs I'm happy.

japan on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i've heard enough good things about this game that i want it

but i've also heard enough criticism to know not to buy it at full price

when it drops to 20, it'll be mine. :-)

Guek on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I kinda enjoyed single player, but the awful multiplayer was what made me return my copy. I couldn't even SEE my opponents. Everything was just so low res and bland.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guek wrote:
    i've heard enough good things about this game that i want it

but i've also heard enough criticism to know not to buy it at full price

when it drops to 20, it'll be mine. :-)

And when that happens, the wii will have an awesome FPS and it will be able to be played over the internets. You will be alone and everyone will be having fun without you.

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    my friend absolutely loved this game, until he started getting close to the end.

then he said all the little flaws were markedly more noticable and taking away from his enjoyment. and the swordfights toward the end were horrible, from what he said.

im gonna borrow it from him soon and see how i feel about it. played it once before for about 15 minutes and i couldnt really get a feel for the controls.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    my friend absolutely loved this game, until he started getting close to the end.

then he said all the little flaws were markedly more noticable and taking away from his enjoyment. and the swordfights toward the end were horrible, from what he said.

Wow amen. After the sword battle with [spoiler:b4b5a87ed7]Cobra Commander[/spoiler:b4b5a87ed7] and finishing this God forsaken game. I must say... I hate it.

[spoiler:b4b5a87ed7](post poison tipped sword tip!: while fighting this action figure, if you become disorientated by frustration, take a breath and sidestep all of his attacks, until he get his "feirce" swipe out of his system. Parry the nano second before he moves and get in as many lagged strikes as you can. If all esle fails "break his sword entirely with the "X" strike.")[/spoiler:b4b5a87ed7]

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I beat the game, I liked it but I did have contorl issues with the crosshair moving aorund random...

I took a few steps back and it worked fine. so if you have that issue...try that.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mekman 2 wrote:
    I have it. An uncle gave it to me this Christmas. I got to say, it's not bad at all. It's just very average (until you make it up to the [spoiler:ba41b6d831] "Games District" that is, [/spoiler:ba41b6d831] 'fucking awesome level).

On the topic of the [spoiler:ba41b6d831]Games District[/spoiler:ba41b6d831]

I'm stuck at [spoiler:ba41b6d831] the point where you go up the ski lift, and there are explosives being chucked down the hill. I can't find where to climb onto the ski lifts themselves. What the hell do I have to climb on to get there?[/spoiler:ba41b6d831]

On the game itself, it's a decent game. That's all, though, decent. It's not terrible, but it's not great. It's a distraction for when I really feel the need to kill people with guns that are not from WW2.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My 16 year old non-gamer sister picked up the controls to this game in about 15 minutes flat and soon was good enough to kill me when I was -trying- to kill her in multiplayer.

I give a hearty shake of my head to the control naysayers. The zooming is crap, but as the topic creator says, this game controls loads better than the mouselook thing they did with CoD3 Wii. I found it to be completely natural.

Galcian's Son on
  • Options
    zero_bitzero_bit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    CJTheran wrote:
    mekman 2 wrote:
    I have it. An uncle gave it to me this Christmas. I got to say, it's not bad at all. It's just very average (until you make it up to the [spoiler:ea3fcb0e89] "Games District" that is, [/spoiler:ea3fcb0e89] 'fucking awesome level).

On the topic of the [spoiler:ea3fcb0e89]Games District[/spoiler:ea3fcb0e89]

I'm stuck at [spoiler:ea3fcb0e89] the point where you go up the ski lift, and there are explosives being chucked down the hill. I can't find where to climb onto the ski lifts themselves. What the hell do I have to climb on to get there?[/spoiler:ea3fcb0e89]

[spoiler:ea3fcb0e89]If I recall correctly, I charged up the hill, got in the ski lift on the other side and came back down... or something. I do know it involved charging up the hill and avoiding the bombs, though. [/spoiler:ea3fcb0e89]

zero_bit on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played it at a friends house.

It was.. eh.

I personally didnt like it, but perhaps it was just the learning curve that got me down.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I traded mine for Elebits. I'll get it when it is 20ish.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    CJTheran wrote:
    mekman 2 wrote:
    I have it. An uncle gave it to me this Christmas. I got to say, it's not bad at all. It's just very average (until you make it up to the [spoiler:573dceadf9] "Games District" that is, [/spoiler:573dceadf9] 'fucking awesome level).

On the topic of the [spoiler:573dceadf9]Games District[/spoiler:573dceadf9]

I'm stuck at [spoiler:573dceadf9] the point where you go up the ski lift, and there are explosives being chucked down the hill. I can't find where to climb onto the ski lifts themselves. What the hell do I have to climb on to get there?[/spoiler:573dceadf9]

On the game itself, it's a decent game. That's all, though, decent. It's not terrible, but it's not great. It's a distraction for when I really feel the need to kill people with guns that are not from WW2.

[spoiler:573dceadf9]Yeah, I noticed that too (maybe they forgot to include a method of getting up to the lift), so I just took a very slow and safe way on the escalator on the far left end at the bottom of the slope. It takes a "long" while to reach the top from there (since the escalator is moving in the opposite direction) but there is no chance of dying after killing the snipers of course. [/spoiler:573dceadf9]

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played about an hour of this on 2-player at a friend's house, and I was totally underwhelmed. Maybe single-player is better, but I disliked almost everything about the game that I saw.

Ballman on