As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Music And Gaming Festival, Jan 1-4, 2010

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
gamex_program_ad-small.jpg

UPDATE november 14:
Sid Meier, final bands, and promo video posted

So MAGFest is going into its eighth year, and the next one is coming up January 1-4, just outside DC at the hilton mark center in alexandria. There's also going to be a new years eve party for people who pre-register.

If you guys haven't heard of MAGFest, the name is short for Music And Gaming Festival, and it's basically a four day long woodstock of video game music. There's three nights of live video game cover bands, 24 hour console/arcade/LAN/tabletop gaming the whole time, plus an open mic jamspace with provided instruments that everyone's welcome to play. It's a pretty laid back "anti-convention" atmosphere that is thankfully free of people with cat ears trying to glomp you, while being chock full of cool people to drink, play games, and rock out with.

Here are the guests announced so far, with much more to come.

Bands:
-The OneUps
-Metroid Metal
-Arm Cannon
-Select Start
-The Megas
-Entertainment System
-Rare Candy
-This Place Is Haunted
-Temp Sound Solutions
-Armadillo Tank
-A_Rival
-The Smash Brothers

Guests:
-Sid Meier - creator of basically every game ever made.
-There Will Be Brawl creators Matt Mercer and Zach Grafton
-Voice actor Jon St. John, known best for having balls of steel as duke nukem
-YuGiOh - The Abridged Series creator Martin "LittleKuriboh" Billany

The challenge corner details have also been announced. The way it works is that if you can complete the tasks in nes/snes/gen games, you get prizes and shit. Start practicing!
http://courtwright.org/m8challenges/

You can pre-register, plus get a $99/night hotel room through the website: http://magfest.org/

What would you guys say to a little G&T meet-up? I remember there was a decent amount of interest here last year, so I think drunken antics and moshing are in order this year.

This post approved by Monoxide

NickTheNewbie on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Updated the OP with challenger corner info and two more bands. ROCK OUT

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    binary1230binary1230 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still want to dress as Strongbad dressed as Carmen Sandiego. Someone will owe me $10 this year...

binary1230 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Holy shiiiiiiiiiit huge updates. The OneUps and sid fucking meier!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll be going, like I did last year. If I'm not mistaken, the friends I'm going with booked us in the shizzie block, so fun times are ahead.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, big news regarding the new years eve party! The original people who we had to share the hotel with on new years eve (the ones who we shared it with last year when they had a james bond themed party) has BAILED. In their honor, we are taking over the entire god damn hotel and throwing our own bond party. GOLDENEYE 64 STYLE.

MagfestNYEPartyFlyer.jpg

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm surprised there haven't been a few more people interested. I'll be heading there this year--just heard about it earlier in the year and it sounds like a dream event come true. Looking forward to the New Year's Eve party!

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    After 11pm tonight, there are no guarantees that the pre reg system will still be online, so if you want to save 5 bucks off admission, do it asap! You can still get a full 4 day pass for 45 at the door, or a single day pass for 25. http://magfest.org/prereg

NickTheNewbie on