As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Investing - Getting back into the market

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H/A! Looking for some quick and dirty advice (as if such a thing was possible!) on getting back into the market as a young investor. I know from previous discussions on here, there are some smart mo-fo's clicking around these parts, so I thought I'd appeal to them. Anywho...

I've got 5 figures sitting uninvested in "cash" - 1/4 in a ROTH and the rest in an SEP-IRA. Towards the end of August, I sold pretty much everything, in an effort to get some balance once I had time to figure out a plan. Previously, I was concentrated mostly in sector ETFs -- XLK, XLF, XLE -- and index funds QQQQ, with a few mining and financial stocks here and there.

If you were me, what would you do in order to jump back in? I'm pretty open to risk - I'm a fairly young dude with plenty of time to get this right before I need the money. I wasn't totally happy with my previous allocations, as I felt I was spread too thin, or over-diversified if such a thing was possible.

I'm not an active trader, and don't want to be. I also have no interest in trading on margin, and I'm completely clueless as to how option trading works -- though if anyone could point me to a decent primer, that would be much appreciated.

I'm just sort of firing shots into the sky here, but I know you people know what's up, and maybe would be willing to share what you are doing. I also know that this sort of advice generally costs money! So anyone who can drop some science on me -- and is a drinker and located near the Bay Area -- is welcome to enjoy a drink in the city on my tab in the future!

Cheers!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
firewaterword on

• Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm 25 and here are a few of my long term positions that I'm comfortable with:

C (bought at $4/share)
    AINV (great dividend plus insiders buying regularly)
    ADRE (Emerging markets ETF)
    EWZ (Brazil ETF)
    IVE (S&P 500 value ETF)
    AXP (Decent dividend)

edit: Do your own due diligence though

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks much Mr Blond, I'll check those out.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu