Options

i drew NEWER things NOT on paper

earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Artist's Corner
For practice I went back and inked some old storyboards from 2007. It was originally part of this battle, and now you can see the whole thing here. It's pretty cool.

1-6.jpg
2-6.jpg
3-6.jpg
4-6.jpg
5-4.jpg
6-3.jpg

Also I posted stuff in the doodle thread awhile ago, but I don't remember if I ever got around to showing the finished version...

itsthinking8.jpg

earthwormadam on

• Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Love that Sega piece - really interesting style, and very strong line work. That sucker has a lot of personality.

iglidante on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    ewa_fuckyeah.png

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What a goof.

Five stars.

Godfather on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this is not my definition of "thangs."

but, great line-work, as said. nothing to poke holes in, like your self-esteem.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like an AT-AT to me.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2009
    I don't remember that dreamcast thing, but that is shirt-worthy.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ahhhhhhhh shit I shoulda known I would mix up the whole ATST/ATAT thing. That shits like stalagmites/stalactites to me.

Thanks for the comments though!! I should have more stuff soonish.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    zom_bzom_b Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dreamcast illustration looks awesome.

zom_b on
    lucky-sign4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    new threads for my character updaaaate....

ewanew0.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ahhhhhhhh shit I shoulda known I would mix up the whole ATST/ATAT thing. That shits like stalagmites/stalactites to me.

Stalagmites grow with might.

Stalactites hang tight.

Let it never be a problem for you again.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Today I learned some thangs.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    clearly the only way to remember it it is "tights come down"

at least that is how a playa such as myself remembers it

so jealous of your liiiiines

Fletcher on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    OH SHIT, i know what this reminds me of, the expressive eyes and wacky presentation... CARTOON CARTOONS! Powerpuff girls for the characters but samurai jack... the eyes are so expressive :D/

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always think of it as T's on the top M's on the mottom.

Adam, I'm sure this has been asked before, how do you ink? It looks like vector in some instances, not so much in others.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    I don't remember that dreamcast thing, but that is shirt-worthy.

Yes.

Love'n it adam. Really think that last EWA above is sick, great foreshortening and your lines just keep gettin' all better and better.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah cool, thanks for the kind remarks peopledudes! My computer seems to be infected with spyware/viruses at the moment so I can't access the internet at my house right now. Firefox crashes as soon as it launches, so I'm trying to nurse my PC back to health at the moment...

Everything on the page was done with my trusty wacom and PS. But they all started as quick pencil sketches that I inked over and just refined to a point that I was happy with it. The Dreamcast one obviously got the most care as I probably gave it two or three passes as the other things just got a once over. I've got a few progress shots of it that I'll try to get up if I get my fuckin computer to cooperate.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Otto GermainOtto Germain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, if I had worms for arms, I could do great things.

I enjoy your bold inking style and heavy line weight.

Otto Germain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Otto.

Here's a few images of progression like I was talkin' bout in case anyone is interested. From initial sketch to final...
    Just the crappy doodle. I knew scanning it in that I would have to rework design, but the basis was there. I wanted the Seaman and Jet Grind guy to be a sorta yin yang symbol in the center, with all the other characters sprawling outward from the dreamcast. I expanded the canvas size because I knew that I would need much more space than I had on the piece of paper.
    itsthinking1.jpg

Here I just changed the colors using the gradient map thingy so that I could start inking directly over it on a different layer.
    itsthinking2.jpg

I started inking but with pressure sensitivity turned off, just to get the composition how I wanted it.
    itsthinking3.jpg

Here I just dropped the old scan out cause I have the foundation of my inks set.
    itsthinking4.jpg

Filled in some areas with black, and also started using pressure sensitivity for some thicker lines.
    itsthinking5.jpg

Kept on refining things and fixing spots I didn't like, like the Ulala, dhalsim, Seaman and Samba.
    itsthinking6.jpg

More finishing touches and finalized zombie guy and Bomberman.
    itsthinking7.jpg

Put a fill on the background and then used gradient map to change the lineart color.
    itsthinking8.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    stalacTITS

how can you possibly fuck that up?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Crowleston wrote: »
    I always think of it as T's on the top M's on the mottom.

bwanie wrote: »
    stalacTITS

how can you possibly fuck that up?

right, cause they hang like tits. I see what you did there.

so stalagmites grow like....

which would mean T is for tits and M is for moners?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    geobonertits.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will never forget.

imagine those dudes chasing after you down a dark alley.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2009

Stalagmites grow with might.

Stalactites hang tight.

Let it never be a problem for you again.

StalaGmites Grow from the Ground

StalaCtites Come from the Ceiling

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    fuckin' awesome.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I approve of this thread title change as well as the above representation of tits and moners. Never forget.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    New comic from over at WfA. I had to go first this round and I wanted to have a bit of setup instead of getting right into the thick of things.

1-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    3-7.jpg
    4-7.jpg
    5-5.jpg
    6-4.jpg
    7-3.jpg

I only had a week to work on it, so there's a few things I really would have like to have been better. Original post from here.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I love the single color / stark black and white you've got going on here. Very easy on the eyes. You've got a little fringing around the spotlights on that hallway floor, but that's just nitpicky, because this is seriously awesome.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, yeah I mostly put the shade in by hand, but I did cheat and use the fill tool a few times near the end. You caught me...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, yeah I mostly put the shade in by hand, but I did cheat and use the fill tool a few times near the end. You caught me...

Filling can be a pain sometimes, so I know what you mean. I want to figure out how the QC guy does his fills. I watched a video of him drawing once, and he does all his linework, then hits a button in PS and everything gets filled in with crazy colors, in a single layer. He then just paint-buckets using spots he's saved in advance, and does the whole strip in no time at all.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I figured out a pretty good way to fill things while I was working on these, and I'll try it again on the next entry.

Note, it only works if all your shapes are closed however. With the linework on one layer, select all the areas you want to fill with the magic wand. Then with all those areas still selected, go to the other layer that you want to fill with black or a color or whatever. Now use the paint bucket tool and click it within one of the selected areas. This should fill all of the areas that you had selected. Deselect all. Now all you have to do is click the fill tool on the areas one by one and it fills them again, and it slightly expands the area in which it fills. When you change the layer to multiply it goes underneath the lines just enough to not leave any ghosting area.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Holy balls I haven't done anything for myself for like 4 months, which is just a terrible art-streak to have.

So here's my latest project, weird things jumping over stuff. I'm not sure what the purpose is for doing these, but I was bored, and it was all I could think of. I'm going to start inking these in PS pretty much as is, except for the elephant which I'm not happy with, and am going to change a bunch.

originalssketch.jpg

Also, feel free to continue stalactits/stalagmoner discussion.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That Dreamcast piece kicks ass.

Also, weird things jumping over stuff is an inspired idea. Seriously, you should make a whole series of them.

Paradise on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    haha, awesome

kind of reminds me of small things eating bigs things (which is a good thing)

i like the elephant! the trunk and face are fantastically done

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys, I'm still trying to bust these out without them taking up too much time, first ones done though. I tried to view that website Fletch but it wasn't loading, so I'll try again later.

Not sure how I feel about these colors, but they're good enough for now...

katCOLOR.jpg

Plain old lines...
    katLINES.jpg

Also I re-sketched the elephant, though I really only altered the mouth, eyes, and ears. I really wanted to give him tusks in the original, but I couldn't make them work so I tried giving his teeth a trunkish quality.

elefuntSKETCH.jpg

Through around some critique if anything jumps out at you, and more inks soon hopefully.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One more...

pigCOLOR.jpg

With just lines...
    pigLINES.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm assuming that is a drop of blood? It kind of reads like a jewel to me. Might be the thick outline. Same thing with the spittle. The texture and the colors give it a nice crayon quality. Maybe have the udders contrast the body more? Maybe lessen the line where the nose attaches to the face?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Nib, yeah I definitely could have thinned out a few of the lines here and there, agreed. Probably wont go back and fudge with them since I already colored them but I appreciate that and will keep in mind for all future weird things jumping over stuff. Also I would have liked to have used a different color for the udders but I did want to keep the number of colors used to a minimum.

And the last one, phew.

elefuntCOLOR.jpg

Lines and concept...
    elefuntLINES.jpg
    elefuntSKETCH.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Morbid in the cutest way possible. Delightfully morbid, even.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sweet, I like that.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, and I just finished putting them together into 1 image, though I think I like having them separate so that they can have their own different colored background.

all3.jpg

earthwormadam on