As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Kill Doctor Lucky in Phalla Mansion - Good Night, Doctor Lucky (Game Over)

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Who was the person that bludgeoned me in Antarctica?

I feel left out not having a grudge vote.

raises his hand sheepishly. That was not my finest hour.

In Darian's defense, he only bludgeoned you because he ran out of shotgun shells.

Actually, I just didn't want to risk blowing out a window. It was too cold, already.

I want to know why you didn't vig Houn that game. Come on, he did not know about the might of BRAINPOWER :P

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I may have made back room deals to try to get access to Dr. Lucky prior to the party. It obviously didn't work out, or he'd be dead. But that's my failing, not those of the people I was scheming with.
    However, in return, I did promise that I'd join this SkyCaptain bandwagon if one came up.
    Fluff gentlemen. I like fluff. And killing Skycaptain.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Who was the person that bludgeoned me in Antarctica?

I feel left out not having a grudge vote.

raises his hand sheepishly. That was not my finest hour.

In Darian's defense, he only bludgeoned you because he ran out of shotgun shells.

Actually, I just didn't want to risk blowing out a window. It was too cold, already.

I want to know why you didn't vig Houn that game. Come on, he did not know about the might of BRAINPOWER :P

The funny thing is I was being honest in that exchange. I'd read the PM. I just really didn't make the connection between what he was saying and the "villager power". It looked like some whiny annoying post restriction when I first read it, lol.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, huh. Well, it pretty much did end up being that, right?

And Job, could you change your avatar sometime? Or at least your location text? I can't trust that face after the horror that was redemption mini D:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah !Darian

Yes a true grudge vote.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't really have any outstanding grudges, so RNG it is.

Kistra wins!

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is anyone very familiar with the source material and willing to give a brief rundown of what to expect of the playerbase (e.g. stuff not covered by Blarney) if anything ?

Egos on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Is anyone very familiar with the source material and willing to give a brief rundown of what to expect of the playerbase (e.g. stuff not covered by Blarney) if anything ?

I've never played it, but here's the BGG link for Kill Doctor Lucky.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »

No idea on the source material, but the players are all kinda dicks. Myself included.

<3

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Have you played Clue? The game is like that, except instead of trying to figure out which player did it, you are all trying to kill Lucky in clueesque ways (with pool cues and other sorts of crazy improvised weapons).

I think the main difference, aside from voting mechanics, is that instead of us all playing failure cards to keep others from killing Dr. Lucky (so we can do so ourselves), we play failure cards to protect ourselves and the mafia take the role of the "failure cards" for Lucky.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So why hasn't any one voted for Houn yet?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you played Clue? The game is like that, except instead of trying to figure out which player did it, you are all trying to kill Lucky in clueesque ways (with pool cues and other sorts of crazy improvised weapons).

I think the main difference, aside from voting mechanics, is that instead of us all playing failure cards to keep others from killing Dr. Lucky (so we can do so ourselves), we play failure cards to protect ourselves and the mafia take the role of the "failure cards" for Lucky.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. It's a pretty excellent game IMO, but in the game, everyone tries to kill dr. lucky, and everyone else tries to play failure cards to prevent them from doing so. Can't kill other players in the boardgame (unfortunately). As I see it, we're pretty much going to try to flush out a few bodyguards, then when we feel confident enough, or the rooms are just closing in on us to damn rapidly, it'll be a free-for-all for trying to take out lucky.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Revenge! REEEEEEVENGE!!

On !pigeonking - finally time to pay you back for playing the newbie phalla altogether too well

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    So why hasn't any one voted for Houn yet?

I'm curious why you are; not because I want you to change your vote, but more I like to know these things. Call it curiosity.

Houn on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zellpher, I see you trying to hide at the bottom of the player list!

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Perhaps Toxic is lashing out at Tim Schafer by attacking through the easiest means available to him?
    Voting for the Raz Avatar Holding Houn

More proof hes evil (not role wise, just as a human being :mrgreen:) ?

Egos on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KDL was originally a Cheap Ass Game product, so as far as I can tell there isn't any backstory/motivations in the source material. Players were expected to provide their own pawns; no established characters like you find in Clue.

Darian on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Ebfan for getting the Original Renegade killed prematurely when I'd written so many narrations centring around them.

Kidding! It's just a placeholder. I would vote SkyCaptain but I still feel guilty about him getting so shafted by the RNG mechanics in my last game.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    His chances are miniscule but non-zero.

Seriously on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yep, I changed more than a few things to make the game fit with the Phalla concept. Clarifications time!

Q: What's the order of operations in the Action Phase?
    A: Movement Cards come after Weapon Cards and other attacks (and thus Failure Cards), but further clarification is denied.

Q: Is this movement offered by Movement Cards in addition to the one-square movement possessed by both Dr Lucky and players, or does it replace it?
    A: Movement Cards supplement movement. Cards resolve in the Action Phase, then all players (and Dr. Lucky) gets an extra move afterwards.

Q: Can I trade cards with other players? What's the maximum hand limit?
    A: As mentioned in the Cards section, there is no trading of cards. There is no maximum hand limit.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Will we know what room Dr Lucky is in at the end of the action phase? Or will the action and move phases be resolved at the same time.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Q: How many cards can I play in a turn?

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, huh. Well, it pretty much did end up being that, right?

And Job, could you change your avatar sometime? Or at least your location text? I can't trust that face after the horror that was redemption mini D:

The location text isn't from Redemption though...
    And he was delicious. Tasted like blueberries. Mmmm...
    It'll change shortly though, once I figure out how to incorporate Dr. Lucky and Blackout into a single 4-6 word phrase.
    The Face. The Face Never Changes. Just the hat.

Jobastion on
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Q. Will we know what room Dr Lucky is in at the end of the action phase? Or will the action and move phases be resolved at the same time.
    A. As mentioned in the Game Overview section, the phase order is Eviction, Action, Movement, Draw Cards. You will know where Dr. Lucky is at the start of each game day. Except for this one.

Q: How many cards can I play in a turn?
    A. As noted in the Cards section, you may play at most one of each type of card except for Failure (Movement, Weapon, Special) per Action Phase.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Too bad for Seriously that he can't be Dr. Lucky, else I'd try to give you a reason to be a nemesis.

Houn seems like a random target for the vote.

Ardor on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    eeccccoo tthhee ddoollpphhiinn

Why? Because your name is so long it makes my brain hurt.

Don't pick on my love like that, !adventfalls :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIiy0zU42oY

don't take away my love

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, if I choose to use weapon cards for example, can I use multiple weapon cards?

As an example, let's say I have 3 baseball bats or something and I feel like using 3 baseball bats on someone random, like Seriously. Could I do that in a single turn?

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    One card of each type, Ardor. Follows naturally that it would mean one weapon card.

Also, why you gotta hate on me? I just want to be loved. Unless I can be filthy rich, which is infinitely better.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ardor wrote: »
    Also, if I choose to use weapon cards for example, can I use multiple weapon cards?

As an example, let's say I have 3 baseball bats or something and I feel like using 3 baseball bats on someone random, like Seriously. Could I do that in a single turn?
    OP wrote wrote:
    Cards
    There are four types of cards: Movement Cards, Weapon Cards, Failure Cards, and Special Cards.
    With the exception of Failure Cards, only one of each type of card may be played during the Action Phase.

Jobastion on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Got it, my reading comprehension skills need help.

Thanks folks.

Ardor on
  • Options
    TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll grudge you so hard for posting that song Arivia. Besides, backstabbing my mentor now wouldn't be nice. We haven't even developed a proper master/student relationship.

Tiphareth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »

OP wrote wrote:
    Cards
    There are four types of cards: Movement Cards, Weapon Cards, Failure Cards, and Special Cards.
    With the exception of Failure Cards, only one of each type of card may be played during the Action Phase.
    Yes but how many cards can I play each turn? :P

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Jobastion wrote: »

OP wrote wrote:
    Cards
    Yes but how many cards can I play each turn? :P

There are 3 different playable card types. So you can play 3+n cards, where n is the number of times you play a failure card in reponse to an attack.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I appreciate your sincerity in this endeavor

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    !Ebfan for getting the Original Renegade killed prematurely when I'd written so many narrations centring around them.

Kidding! It's just a placeholder. I would vote SkyCaptain but I still feel guilty about him getting so shafted by the RNG mechanics in my last game.

Aww... don't make me feel worse about that game than I already do :(.

Ebfan on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aaaand commence flailing about because the scale of main games get me so confused that I never have any clue what's going on.

RNG says eipnoom.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Burnage for having me guard a bad guy in the phallakinetic.

ShadowThomas on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Burnage for being a damn bodyguard.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since my first vote for the host wasn't really funny, I'll change it to KIME... who is not playing, sooooo iamtheaznman gets it due to him possessing my dirtbike harescrambles and enduro racing numberplate 31.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Burnage for having me guard a bad guy in the phallakinetic.

But Phallakinetic was a good win

Gumpy on
This discussion has been closed.