As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion: "staple" and "must-have" mods?

1235»

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Whoa, OOO is 400mb now? I still have a full version that's 20mb. Talk about far behind.

Half of it is recolored wolfs that shoot fireballs. It's kind of stupid actually.

I wonder if theres any way to get all of OOO's good features and not have all the fucking retarded monsters.

The countryside should not be populated by magical ice wolves and packs of 700000 blue imps. Seriously fuck the blue imps.
    Wow, that made me laugh way too much when reading.

Are there dogs that shoot bees out of their mouth when they bark?

No.. You see. Actually its quite clever.

Ok. In the ice places.. Get this. The wolves are blue and shoot ice. I know amazing.

But now this is the thing. If you go down the mountain. To where its warmer. The wolves are.. red. And they shoot fire.

It's genius!

i hate it

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I oughta look up what OOO does now aside from put in stupidass monsters. Fire breathing wolves is kinda stupid sounding.

Still using my keychain and attack & hide mods, btw. Game fixers right there.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay guys, I just uninstalled Oblivion altogether because the fucking file got corrupted or something somehow when trying to delete v1.31, then installing 1.3, and then again isntalling v.1.31 and even when I turned the mods off, the game was still broken, there was no dialog, lots of icons were missing their litle graphic, and it just sucks now. I just hope my save file is okay, which it prolly isnt. Oh well.

RIP: Kyder, Level 11 Assassin, Champion of the Arena and nearing the end of the Dark Brotherhood line.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only "recolored wolves" I've seen are Hellhounds, which only appear in the plane of Oblivion or Kvatch.

I haven't gotten a character past level 10 in OOO yet, so maybe I'm missing something, but to me it doesn't seem absurd at all.

Captain K on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    The only "recolored wolves" I've seen are Hellhounds, which only appear in the plane of Oblivion or Kvatch.

I haven't gotten a character past level 10 in OOO yet, so maybe I'm missing something, but to me it doesn't seem absurd at all.
    I've encountered mystical imps and shadow wolves, so I assume there are plenty of new beasties.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought this near release, and had trouble with the game freezing up and crashing on me all of the time. I spent about two days going through every advised fix on their forums, and it still crashed, and I gave up on it.

After hearing all of the acclaim, I tried again (I'm guessing in August) - Downloaded their official patch or whatever, downloaded mods that improved efficiency, and it still crashed from time to time, and would often freeze up or go so slow that it would go to a crawl (random times, too - such as the game'd be running fine, I'd enter a shop, and bam, freeze.)

I trolled the forums again, nothing worked, I got more angry, and again swore off this game.

With all of the love this game is getting, clearly other people aren't having these problems. Is there anything that jumps out at people that had similar experiences? Should I try again, or just give up?

My machine runs every other game perfectly fine (4600 athlon, 2 256 7800gt's w/ sli, 2gb ram), so I'm thinking the problem is on Bethesda's end...

JeffH on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JeffH wrote:
    I bought this near release, and had trouble with the game freezing up and crashing on me all of the time. I spent about two days going through every advised fix on their forums, and it still crashed, and I gave up on it.

After hearing all of the acclaim, I tried again (I'm guessing in August) - Downloaded their official patch or whatever, downloaded mods that improved efficiency, and it still crashed from time to time, and would often freeze up or go so slow that it would go to a crawl (random times, too - such as the game'd be running fine, I'd enter a shop, and bam, freeze.)

I trolled the forums again, nothing worked, I got more angry, and again swore off this game.

With all of the love this game is getting, clearly other people aren't having these problems. Is there anything that jumps out at people that had similar experiences? Should I try again, or just give up?

My machine runs every other game perfectly fine (4600 athlon, 2 256 7800gt's w/ sli, 2gb ram), so I'm thinking the problem is on Bethesda's end...
    You are thinking correctly. Oblivion crashes when it damn well pleases, and no pussy-ass mod will tell it otherwise.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kreutz wrote:
    JeffH wrote:

You are thinking correctly. Oblivion crashes when it damn well pleases, and no pussy-ass mod will tell it otherwise.

Family resemblance.

Daggerfall and Morrowind had a bad habit of that as well.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion crashes a lot, but no game has ever crashed more often than Morrowind.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

daglogo.gif

ERROR 2.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mordrack wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

I've encountered mystical imps and shadow wolves, so I assume there are plenty of new beasties.

Fuck Glass Golems.

And Magma Golems? Fuck them too.

Don't even get me started on Guardians of Oblivions. Suffice to say, if you find a ruin called "Sardaver Leed" going into it is not a good idea.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHOOOO! I just reinstalled the game and the file is fine! Nothing wrong, and no nasty afflictions, yay!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

daglogo.gif

ERROR 2.

Good heavens, that game would crash if you sat down in your chair at an odd angle...because you were looking at the nude women in the temples. Yeah, that's why.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Henroid wrote:
    Someone told me that there are ini settings you can change that make Oblivion run better (and he hinted that it still looked great). No details were given. So like, anyone know what he would've been talking about?
    I'd kinda like this answered still, if possible. :o

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Archgarth wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

daglogo.gif

ERROR 2.

Good heavens, that game would crash if you sat down in your chair at an odd angle...because you were looking at the nude women in the temples. Yeah, that's why.

It would crash even if you didn't.

<3 Buggerfall

MechMantis on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played Daggerfall once. I couldn't escape the first dungeon place. I think I spent more time making female characters then taking off all their clothing.

Hmmm...

Also, the sound was horrible. Loud buzzing sound like there were flies everywhere.

JJ on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Someone told me that there are ini settings you can change that make Oblivion run better (and he hinted that it still looked great). No details were given. So like, anyone know what he would've been talking about?
    If you want a complete guide, I use tweakguides.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    http://au.gamespot.com/features/6148788/p-2.html?sid=6148788&page=2
    Has some good ones.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html
    More in-depth.

I can heartily reccomend adjusting the grass density. I got a 20 fps boost outdoors with very little change to the visuals.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    180px-BattleCruiser_3000AD_box_scan.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh rock on. Thanks for the linkage. :D

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

Fuck you.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    didn't DEREK SMART make that game? Whatever happened to DEREK SMART anyway? What a guy, that DEREK SMART.

edit: lol

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YOU FOOL!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Here are the people that know Oblivion best having the very discussion you wish to join in on.

The only trouble is keeping up with them.

ocious on
    Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm starting to look like quite the necromancer now with all the thread ressurections around here. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of some good clothing mods? It doesn't matter whetever it's robes, coats or pants, I want it all as long as it looks good.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ocious wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Here are the people that know Oblivion best having the very discussion you wish to join in on.

The only trouble is keeping up with them.

Or, you could simply go here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hambone wrote:
    didn't DEREK SMART make that game? Whatever happened to DEREK SMART anyway? What a guy, that DEREK SMART.

edit: lol

That's worse than saying "Biggie Smalls" three times! You've doomed us all to the rantings of that dimwitted loudmouth egomaniac.

<runs for the door>

BC3000AD 1.0 was completely unplayable out of the box, the current iteration of "The Game OLOL!" is a shame to the industry to this day.

Daggerfall was much more fun out of the box.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is an article I've always found useful, but it might be a few months outdated, broken links and whatnot:

13 Oblivion mods that should not have been

Also, Atomic PC's Optimising Oblivion series of articles are the best tweak guides out there:

Optimising Oblivion
    Optimising Oblivion 2.0
    Optimising Oblivion 3.0 (Mods)

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's my mod list which I find to make Oblivion to the most complete experience.

And here are two of my characters with said mods!
    Morgan
    Jormund

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmm. I just installed Oblivion and the sound is stuttering quite badly. I know I exceed the minimum requirements by leaps and bounds. Apparently there are problems with Realtek's onboard sound, and even after updating the drivers, it still won't work.

Damn it.

Cheezy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

Fuck you.
    I WIN! Or lose depending on how you think of it.

Couscous on