As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sparkster Returns! Rocket Knight, 2.5D platformer for XBLA/PSN/Steam

13»

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    This is out now, but I'm a bit irked that the release date was random as hell. Missed out on the discount because they bumped it up a day.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    someone let me know if this is actually any good, because it still looks terrible to me.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    someone let me know if this is actually any good, because it still looks terrible to me.

Um.

Hm.

Okay I never played sparkster so Iduno what that game was like but I beat the original rka and its one of my favorite games ever.

Im about 5 missions into the new game. Btw if you've played the old ones, you should start on hard mode otherwise the game is incredibly boring. I say this as I am playing through on normal and its just ridiculous what you get away with.

My first issue is that when you kill a dude you dont really feel it. They don't run around in their undies or anything like that, they just fall of screen. Also you no longer shoot waves out of your sword when your health is high. You have a separate fireball-ish attack you do that takes from your blast meter.

You also don't charge the meter anymore. It just automatically gives you full blast every time.

My biggest complaint is that the bosses so far are boring. I won't spoil anything for anybody but they are nowhere near as inventive as the bosses in the original game. But hey I'm not through yet so maybe they get better. I have the same issue with the level design. I may be looking through nostalgia shades but I specifically remember crazy shit (involving lava) and really creative stuff going on in the original.

I like a few things though. First of all, Im just glad there is a new game at all. I mean it may not be that great, but it gives me hope for maybe something to look forward to in the future?

Also I like the idea of sparkster being a washed up nobody who decides he must fight once more to protect his people. Not sure if the game goes anywhere with this, but it's not exactly the kind of game you play for story.

And the game feels smooth. I just wish that sparkster had a better sword swinging animation because it looks pretty flat in 3D. I need to play it some more so I can develop a more firm impression.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never played the original, but just judging from the time I spent on the demo, this feels like an awesome game if you're interested in chasing after high scores & leaderboard ranks.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's pretty fun, but on normal it is kinda slow and boring feeling. If you're getting the PC version, get a joystick, the keyboard controls suck major ass

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have determined that this is not a real Sparkster game.
    No giant robot duel. :(

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have determined that I really do not like this game. ):

Man I wanted to so bad.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fun game, unfortunate visuals. With a Sega Saturn USB pad, it's a lot of fun on the PC.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I’ve had fun with it. It starts off a little slow, but once it gets going things get a lot better.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I also think the visuals were a poor choise for the latest title. In most cases I am not the one who screems "2D sprites!!111" but something akin to "A Boy and His Blob Wii"ish would have served the game much better. (or something compareable to the earthworm jim remake) - but this wouldn't allow for much camera movement.

IMO the first game had some kind of agressive atmosphere which the successor(s) lack. It might be the contrast to the design of most of the enemies + bosses compared to the "cute" sprites onscreen + maybe the muted color palette of the Genesis (which was still very well used). Or maybe the music (for example the oppressive techno track in one of the later stages)

The second thing which is noticeable that the hits felt much better in the original game. I think part of it is through clever use of sound effects. Even little things, like the flashes onscreen when you hit the boss, added to this.

The second genesis game "Sparkster" felt very medicore. The art direction and level design wasn't as tight. Because of the "omg we need lots of colors" - fad the game looked very flat and liveless compared to the first one. I don't know why the designers decided to ditch the pigs. Sure the tried to mix things up, but the pigs were the perfect antagonists and would have kept the sequel more consistent and recognizeable.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rocket Knight on the genesis was a platformer? I thought it was 'BOSS RUSH THE GAME'. And dammit, I loved it for that. Some truly epic ones in there.

This new one, not so much - and 1200pts..... just a bit too much.

Shutdown on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just played the demo, and what did they do to my childhood?!

adytum on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It’s not that bad. The demo levels are kind of bland compared to the rest of the game, which does mix things up a bit as it goes on. Don’t get me wrong, I was disappointed with it, but I don’t think there’s anything here that’s worthy of vitriol.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram