As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2007!

• MaccyMaccy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hell yeah, breakfast is my main reason for going to America in the first place.

Maccy on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Breakfast in the U.S. is like breakfast in the U.K., except with fewer sausages and no fried tomatoes. Furthermore, Denny's breakfast is like a cartoon version of American breakfast.

That said, Denny's, being such a caricature, offers a good entry point into the genre for the first-timer. If you eat there (and haven't had breakfast in the U.S. before) I suggest:

Country-fried Steak and Eggs
    It's a cheap cut of steak that's breaded and fried, then topped with white gravy. Served with grits or hashbrowns, but I suggest the grits, as it's traditional.

T-Bone Steak and Eggs
    Just what it says. Get this one with hash browns rather than the grits.

**A note about American restaurants. You will, in all likelihood, receive more food than you can eat. This is normal, and it is not considered rude to ask for a take-away bag or box or something (in fact, they'll sometimes give you a box without you having to ask).

When you get to Seattle, we'll see to it that you get some barbecue.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • MaccyMaccy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Breakfast in the U.S. is like breakfast in the U.K., except with fewer sausages and no fried tomatoes.

But you guys can have STEAK, for BREAKFAST. That shit is unreal. We get toast. And child's tears. And rain.

Maccy on
    edited June 2007
    There's no meal that can't be improved by more steak, except maybe dessert.

Hell, I'm not even sure about that one. I have ideas.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like we need a grill for some testing.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A friend of mine has expressed interest in going to PAX with me this year, so we may have another joining the chaos on the rails.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • SilverwispSilverwisp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm interested in going up on the train. Does anyone else have a room booked? I'm thinking about getting one for the booze potential

Silverwisp on
    edited July 2007
    Remember that it quadruples the fare.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • SilverwispSilverwisp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright, add me to the list. I'll be hopping on in Sacramento! =)
    and I decided to just go with a seat.

Silverwisp on
    edited July 2007
    Consider it done!

Oh, and you're really smart for going with a seat :)

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I may be taking the train. Not sure yet. If I do, I'll be boarding in Salinas, CA.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
    edited July 2007
    Sounds good! I'll mark you tentative.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Santeria64Santeria64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, me and 3 of my friends are all taking the train up from Portland on the 23rd, what time are most other people riding it? It would be fun to get onto the same train with some other PAX-goers.

Santeria64 on
    468D7F011B6A9.png
    edited July 2007
    Take train #506 Cascades from Portland at 12:15 PM on August 23rd. That's where all the other PDX people are riding.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited July 2007
    Alright, it's confirmed. Bought my train ticket.
    See you all on the party train!

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    edited July 2007
    Awesome!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for doing this ctishman. Sounds like a total blast.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Washington State Convention Center is a bit of a hike from the Seattle train station. Certainly doable, but not fun if you've got luggage. Good news is that there's a major bus route just up the stairs.

Take any bus heading up 4th Ave (it's a one-way, so you can't go wrong) and get off at Pike street. Walk uphill (East) and you'll hit the convention center in just 4 blocks. Look for the PAX banners. :)

Best part: busses in dowtown Seattle are free. Here're the details: http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/neighborhoods/dtsea-easyguide-06.html

Mike Fehlauer on
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the help! I'm relatively new in town, and still coming to grips with the way the local bus system works, and the greater distances between places.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • LindygamerLindygamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone know how much room we are going to have in the coach seats and/or how many electrical sockets we will have? I recently joined a DS meet up group and when 3+ of us need to charge well playing it can be a little bit of a hassle. I can only wonder how bad it will be when there are 40+ of us who all need to charge because we've been playing a 3 hour long marathon of tetris.

Lindygamer on
    The opinions I don't have are the opinions I don't got.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll be hopping on the party train at LA

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lindygamer wrote: »
    Anyone know how much room we are going to have in the coach seats and/or how many electrical sockets we will have? I recently joined a DS meet up group and when 3+ of us need to charge well playing it can be a little bit of a hassle. I can only wonder how bad it will be when there are 40+ of us who all need to charge because we've been playing a 3 hour long marathon of tetris.

I'm gonna bring either a battery pack, a power squid, or a tire iron to beat anyone who tries to steal meh powah.

Or maybe all 3.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lindygamer wrote: »

from what i've read the electrical sockets are few and far between. to help the situation(and also cuz i'll have quite a few things to charge each night) i'm bringing my power squid.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, bring a couple nice splitters and a surge protector. The outlets they do have in coach class are there primarily for the cleaning crews. Word is that they're half hidden by the seat, so try to find a power strip with a right angle plug, or a right angle adaptor for your current strip.

Unlike cars, the train's power is AC, generated onboard by a head-end unit hooked directly to the diesels (or if it's a more modern loco, a separate, smaller diesel engine). There's no problem with having enough power, but there's a tiny chance that surges or brownouts might occur, so be prepared.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    dudes i need a ride kind of

i am in the Napa Valley

i can either meet up in like oregon or something on thursday, or I can like
    have you pick me up?

Kusuguttai on
    edited July 2007
    Sure, we'll just have the train head over there and get you. Easy as pie. :roll:

Did you even read the title beyond "West Coast"?

That said, the easiest way to get on the train would be to get a ride into Martinez, Davis or Sacramento and meet the train there. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    hey you are right i didn't look past west coast
    p.s. fuck you

Kusuguttai on
    edited July 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    p.s. fuck you

well, he organized this whole train trip thing, even though I don't think he's even taking the train anymore.

and, by your own admission, you didn't read past the first two words of the title of the thread.

so, i don't like to troll, but...

grow up.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    edited July 2007
    neuroslice wrote: »
    p.s. fuck you

well, he organized this whole train trip thing, even though I don't think he's even taking the train anymore.

and, by your own admission, you didn't read past the first two words of the title of the thread.

so, i don't like to troll, but...

grow up.

Yeah it's your own fault for being to lazy to read OP and even the entire title of the thread.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    p.s. fuck you

This isnt SE++, please dont flame here.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I found a few more people to go to PAX with me so I won't be taking the train there. Now all I got to do is figure out how to get a room.

phamtq on
  • Methos645Methos645 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Due to unforeseen circumstances we will not be joining the west coast train trip. Please remove my group from the list. We will be arriving by car now.

Sincerely,
    Methos645

Methos645 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Aww. Will do.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Me and my party have also decided to drive for various reasons, sorry

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
    edited July 2007
    S'okay. Generally you plan for between a 40-60% drop rate, and we're well below that level so far, which is cool.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    oh, these guys too:
    munkyboy0930
    Zyn
    Tsavo
    Cross

Cross might not go to pax at all. Stupid family emergencys

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • SgtMoodySgtMoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ok I'm a PAX newbie, never before but my friend is talking me into it. I'm definitely interested in taking the train getting on in San Jose.

few questions I saw someone mentioned they had tables. are they big enough to play games I have some really fun card games including guillotine and nuclear war. I'd be up for a short D&D session too haven't played since high school. or maybe some magic the gather but I only have the old school card none of the new stuff. I have some pretty unique decks that I have built over the years.

whats the best way to meet up with everyone?

anyways I'll know in the next few days whether I'm going and if I do I'll most definitely take the train. if
    anyone wants to get a hold of me email me or add to xfire boristheblade17

SgtMoody on
    boristheblade17.png
    edited July 2007
    SgtMoody wrote: »
    ok I'm a PAX newbie, never before but my friend is talking me into it. I'm definitely interested in taking the train getting on in San Jose.

few questions I saw someone mentioned they had tables. are they big enough to play games I have some really fun card games including guillotine and nuclear war. I'd be up for a short D&D session too haven't played since high school. or maybe some magic the gather but I only have the old school card none of the new stuff. I have some pretty unique decks that I have built over the years.

whats the best way to meet up with everyone?

anyways I'll know in the next few days whether I'm going and if I do I'll most definitely take the train. if
    anyone wants to get a hold of me email me or add to xfire boristheblade17

From the sound of things the tables should be big enough to hold card games or some D&D. Fastest way to find other PAX goers is to yell "WOOT PAX" when you enter a room all the cool people will yell it back.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, there are standard restaurant-size tables in the downstairs lounge.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited July 2007
    sounds good I have to talk to my friend about sleeping situation then if all goes well I will prolly book a ticket

SgtMoody on
    boristheblade17.png
    edited July 2007
    my boss laid the ultamate smack down. said no time off from aug 16th -26th cause he was taking that time off. :cry: oh well maybe next year I will go. I guess this mean I can goto PDX Lan on labor day weekend then. I was so looking forward to the west coast train trip would have been super epic better then slaying a gold dragon with a pecil and cardboard sheild.

SgtMoody on
    boristheblade17.png
This discussion has been closed.