Options

F*cking the Peach, and other stories.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    Sepah wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    Oh are we comparing teenage girls who read twilight to 30-something males who are too lazy to scrape the spunk off their asuka pillow? ok

The teenage girls with twilight backpacks, the middle-aged women with stacks of romance novels, and the otaku women who have turned man-love comics into an industry.

Yes, I think we are.

Its all about social mores, isn't it?

Once its gone on long enough, and persistently enough, it'll be accepted as normal.

And then we can discuss more important things, like those damn youngsters and their sexbots.

No, man, reclusive perverts are never going to be normal. Girls with backpacks and crushes are already normal.
    wait wait wait wait.

we're not comparing twilight fans with pillow-carrying otaku.

we're comparing twilight fans with gamers who think "hey that female character is hot".

we're asking why the twilight fans don't get societal disapproval while the gamers do.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wasn't the one who brought up non-video game-related fixation on fictional characters.

True, but what do either of things you brought up have to do with 2d fetishes or japanese cartoons?

They are all a sexual attraction to fictional characters.

To get back to my original point, most games seem to have female fan service characters, as well as male.

I mean, I disliked Wakka. Didn't like his accent, his story, anything about him.

But apparently the constant shirtlessness, broad shoulders, and abs of steel count for something for a female audience. Who knew bronzed muscle men with a pacific islander accent were popular with the ladies?

Sepah on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I mean, I disliked Wakka. Didn't like his accent, his story, anything about him.

But apparently the constant shirtlessness, broad shoulders, and abs of steel count for something for a female audience. Who knew bronzed muscle men with a pacific islander accent were popular with the ladies?
    My dislike of Wakka is, ya know, a mild flicker when put alongside the furnace that is my burning hatred for Tidus, ya know.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I was half expecting you to say Farseer Taldeer from DoW1

That is you right

You and Goomba who are all up on her Eldar nuts.
    Taldeer is a goddamn hero and you leave her the fuck out of this.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

That is you right

I agree

Her heroism is magnified by how dead she is ahahaha

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited October 2009

That is you right

I agree

Her heroism is magnified by how dead she is ahahaha
    Yes and 15 space marines can fight off an entire tyranid invasion yes I think Relic is the best story teller. :|

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Considering that Relic created Taldeer in the first place...

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Huh. You know, if it comes down to sexual inequality in video games being a significant contributing factor to the social stigma attached to being attracted to a video game character, then TV Tropes makes a good argument by highlighting a lot of the female fan service out there.

No, because the number of men out there with sad vg/japanese cartoon fetishes greatly outnumber the women, though the women with those predilections have it gendered in a way that makes it different. The reason it's sad to me is that these are fetishes held by people who are often physically unattractive or unable to relate to normal people and so sexualize things they wouldn't otherwise sexualize if they could get a normal relationship.

Citation needed.

No, actually this is a huge problem in Japan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26FOB-2DLove-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/japan%E2%80%99s-unpopular-men-and-women-boycott-love

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/08/30/japanese-men-give-meaning-pillow-talk/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-06-02-japan-women-usat_x.htm

And through a combination of all these things, Japan's fertility rate is actually taking a big hit recently, standing at about 1.27 births per women which is unsustainable

The same could be said for the births per women of most developed countries. Japan's culture certainly isn't helping, but its been Japan's stance on immigration that is causing their decline in population. With as little immigration as they allow, the culture changes slowly if at all. (Edit: And I guess their population has actually increased for the last 2 years, due to Japanese people who moved out of Japan moving back. Weird.)

This much is true, as we've seen in Europe and Russia particularly
    But if you're arguing that attraction to fictional characters is viewed with such disdain because it causes declining birth rates, I'd have to disagree. It isn't something that would significantly contribute to that.

This is not what I'm arguing. Although I believe this underground culture is certainly attributing to it to some degree, it was brought up more to show up your citation needed comment than anything else. To say that there are more men than women with fetishes for "vg/japanese cartoon" characters is completely correct.

I remember reading about a phenomenon where men over thurr are getting increasingly intimidated by women; that they can't handle them having careers and being able to divorce and such, contributing to this situation. Creepy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Japanese views on gender and relationship are so fucked up I wouldn't even know where to start unpicking that mess.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd just like the restraint I'm showing in not participating in this thread noted for the record.

Because, you know, I could...

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, news media and entertainment websites are not citation material.

Here's a scholarly paper on Japan's falling birth rate:
    https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/3757/1/POPwp118.pdf

Robman on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Twilight would have been a better story if Edward had killed and eaten Bella at the end.

And as a bonus, no sequels.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I'm sure she could have conceived another abortion from this plot line.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Twilight would have been a better story if Edward had killed and eaten Bella at the end.

I think Twilight would have been better if it had vampires in it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

I think Twilight would have been better if it had Mummies in it.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Yeah, they accidentally made a decent character WELP better kill it off.

Then they made the dolled up trollop of a farseer in their farce of a sequel. I guess sex just sells!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »

I think Twilight would have been better if it had Mummies in it.

Hey, we already had a sexy mummy
    patricia_velasquez_arnold_vosloo_the_mummy_returns_001.jpg

Robman on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The falling birth rate in Japan has nothing to do with anime, it has to do with something much more insidious.

Robot fucking.

photo2.jpg
    Nah, just foolin. In thirty years though...

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I think Twilight would have been better if it had vampires in it.

I think Twilight would have been better if it didn't involve a creepy stalker, and his victim flattering him.
    Robman wrote: »
    Guys, news media and entertainment websites are not citation material.

Here's a scholarly paper on Japan's falling birth rate:
    https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/3757/1/POPwp118.pdf

Reading this, I found the case more convincing than "dorks playing video games too much". The part about distinguishing "child-friendly employers" in particular was eye-opening.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Then they made the dolled up trollop of a farseer in their farce of a sequel. I guess sex just sells!

Taldeer had characterization?

Seemed pretty generic Eldar fresh out of the mold.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Taldeer had characterization?

Seemed pretty generic Eldar fresh out of the mold.
    In addition to being a decent-for-RTS-games character. I don't know how they did it but I think it was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYidC-zg9Q

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Women are far less likely to see an attractive guy on the street and go "damn that dude's hot, I'd let him do me" while it's much more believable a guy would say the reverse. In my anecdotal experience, women will create a backstory to help augment why that guy attracts them, like guessing at his job (that rugged guy's a fireman, that guy in a suit's a lawyer, or that metrosexual's an actor), evaluating his worth (look he's getting into a BMW or he must be rich to afford those clothes), or evaluating his personality (oh how sweet, he held the door open for that old lady). Finding people attractive that way is looked on as far less shallow by society (even though it really is still pretty shallow) while the males' looks-only evaluation is looked not only as shallow but sometimes as disgusting, especially if the male making the evaluation is looked down upon for other reasons (bad hygiene, living in their parents' house, bad fashion sense, etc).

Opty on
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The falling birth rate in Japan has nothing to do with anime, it has to do with something much more insidious.

Robot fucking.

photo2.jpg
    Nah, just foolin. In thirty years though...

http://www.hulu.com/embed/e53SoT_vS91KAk-38DgVgg

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    Women are far less likely to see an attractive guy on the street and go "damn that dude's hot, I'd let him do me" while it's much more believable a guy would say the reverse. In my anecdotal experience, women will create a backstory to help augment why that guy attracts them, like guessing at his job (that rugged guy's a fireman, that guy in a suit's a lawyer, or that metrosexual's an actor), evaluating his worth (look he's getting into a BMW or he must be rich to afford those clothes), or evaluating his personality (oh how sweet, he held the door open for that old lady). Finding people attractive that way is looked on as far less shallow by society (even though it really is still pretty shallow) while the males' looks-only evaluation is looked not only as shallow but sometimes as disgusting, especially if the male making the evaluation is looked down upon for other reasons (bad hygiene, living in their parents' house, bad fashion sense, etc).

You're absolutely wrong, but carry on with your patriarchal views on how women have to justify their attraction whereas men can just be attracted.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well seeing as it's what my wife told me when we were discussing this calendar at the store yesterday and that I explicitly mentioned it was anecdotal (maybe I should have put "extemely anecdotal" and italicized it) I don't think I'm "abolutely wrong."

Opty on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    When you start out with a blanket view on how sexual attraction differs between the genders, you've kind of painted yourself into a corner.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So you're angry that I didn't caveat everything as much as possible to indicate that it doesn't apply to everyone ever? I had hoped my specifically added in non-concrete phrases ("less likely," "more believable") and my explicit mention of my example being anecdotal would be enough to handle that but I can see I was wrong.

What I stated is basically what society believes, even if it's not true for all women everywhere all the time. The topic came up over conversation of that calendar because my wife pointed out how they were pandering to the idea that women want more from their hot men than just a nice body. Since she recognized that pandering, it made the men completely unattractive and fake to her. The question of why it seems okay for women to swoon over a romance novel character when men get chastized for drooling over a video game chick because "she kicks high" had come up here and I presented my opinion of why.

Opty on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

You're absolutely wrong, but carry on with your patriarchal views on how women have to justify their attraction whereas men can just be attracted.

What exactly is he absolutely wrong about? Given his statement is a stereotype, I assume were working off that idea rather than "factual" individualism that applies to everyone.

I don't agree 100% with the way it was phrased, but I will say that all-in-all most women tend to seek a strong supporter for their potential family, and there is nothing wrong with this. They want someone with a good job, strong for defense, etc. Whatever that woman deems as the highest priority for a partner is quite often tied to a sexual desire as well. It's common really, especially considering that woman are engineered to be mothers and well protective of said family they mother over.

Whereas guys... weeellll.... quite often most men are whores. It has become acceptable of course because men tend to "lead the pack" so to speak, and only in the last few years has it become taboo for a guy to be that way, which forces him to keep his shenanigans limited to the locker room.

All that gibberish aside..... I would totally do Lara Croft.

Yeah.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is only one character in my history of geekdom that I have thought to myself, "I wish she was real."

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There is only one character in my history of geekdom that I have thought to myself, "I wish she was real."

Don't feel obligated to share it or anything.

(Not sarcasm--I think we've already reached a critical mass of accusations in this thread.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Everyone but me in this thread clearly buys anime body pillows.

CLEARLY.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

CLEARLY.

We sent you one. Did it get lost in the mail?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »

CLEARLY.

We sent you one. Did it get lost in the mail?

It was no match for his "old faithful"--it's a pile of ashes in the bottom of his garbage bin.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What exactly is he absolutely wrong about? Given his statement is a stereotype, I assume were working off that idea rather than "factual" individualism that applies to everyone.

I don't agree 100% with the way it was phrased, but I will say that all-in-all most women tend to seek a strong supporter for their potential family, and there is nothing wrong with this. They want someone with a good job, strong for defense, etc. Whatever that woman deems as the highest priority for a partner is quite often tied to a sexual desire as well. It's common really, especially considering that woman are engineered to be mothers and well protective of said family they mother over.

Whereas guys... weeellll.... quite often most men are whores. It has become acceptable of course because men tend to "lead the pack" so to speak, and only in the last few years has it become taboo for a guy to be that way, which forces him to keep his shenanigans limited to the locker room.

Yeah.

You know go back a couple hundred years and claim that men couldn't keep it in their pants, whilst women could. Do you think they'd agree with you?

Also evo-psych evo-psych lol. Get a real science.

Leitner on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Women are far less likely to see an attractive guy on the street and go "damn that dude's hot, I'd let him do me"

Personally, this is the most interesting thing I've seen on this page. I'm just curious here, I'm not picking you apart or anything, but I am curious why you chose to use the word 'let'.

edit: or the page before, whatever.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Yeah.

You know go back a couple hundred years and claim that men couldn't keep it in their pants, whilst women could. Do you think they'd agree with you?

Also evo-psych evo-psych lol. Get a real science.

I'm not sure what sexual promiscuity has to do with variances in what people find attractive. The numbers of people "keeping it in the pants" or not, for either gender, says nothing about what people find attractive at all; just that they do, and then do it.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kor, we both already know the answer. Also, his choice of wording has nothing to do with the topic of attraction. Let it go.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Check his second paragraph.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Women are far less likely to see an attractive guy on the street and go "damn that dude's hot, I'd let him do me"

Personally, this is the most interesting thing I've seen on this page. I'm just curious here, I'm not picking you apart or anything, but I am curious why you chose to use the word 'let'.

edit: or the page before, whatever.
    Because even women think of themselves as objects.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Check his second paragraph.

I'm not defending his argument. I'm merely pointing out that we're moving off topic. That people find each other attractive is a given. The question at hand is specifically what people find attractive, and the social acceptance/stigmas attached.

Houn on
This discussion has been closed.