As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac DVD backup program?

CirrusCirrus Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got a new Macbook Pro for Christmas, and while I'm going about acquiring analogous programs for all of my PC software, I came up against an interesting dilemma - I have no idea what a good DVD backup program is for the Mac. I just need a program that will rip and burn (my own, privately owned) DVDs so I can take a copy back to school with me while leaving the originals here at home. On the PC, I used DVD Shrink to rip them, and DVD Decrypter to burn them. What's the best way to accomplish the same thing on a Mac?

If there's a program that'll both rip and burn, that's a plus - but I'm more concerned about quality of the final product than ease of use.

Thanks, guys.

Cirrus on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cirrus wrote:
    So I just got a new Macbook Pro for Christmas, and while I'm going about acquiring analogous programs for all of my PC software, I came up against an interesting dilemma - I have no idea what a good DVD backup program is for the Mac. I just need a program that will rip and burn (my own, privately owned) DVDs so I can take a copy back to school with me while leaving the originals here at home. On the PC, I used DVD Shrink to rip them, and DVD Decrypter to burn them. What's the best way to accomplish the same thing on a Mac?

If there's a program that'll both rip and burn, that's a plus - but I'm more concerned about quality of the final product than ease of use.

Thanks, guys.

Handbrake will do nice rips+encodes, and Mac the Ripper does nice full rips. Disc Utility should work well for your burnination, and is built in.

yalborap on
  • CirrusCirrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, having downloaded them - On Handbrake, it only rips the video, and to an MP4. Mac the Ripper doesn't seem to compress it, meaning I can't burn it to a blank DVD. Or am I totally crazy, here?

Is there anything like DVD Shrink for a Mac? Or how does one use either of these to do that?

Cirrus on
  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I use Toast for my burning. Beyond the demo it's not free, but I like the results.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • donquixotedonquixote Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    donquixote on
    Pearl code - 2191 4194 9751