As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bomb the Moon, win the Nobel Peace Prize

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    I predict some talking head will say this proves Obama is a communist since the prize is given by a communist country.

Anyone betting against?

This was my first thought also.

Other than that, there must have been other better candidates than Obama. He hasn't actually done anything yet. Don't get me wrong, any change in power from the former administration is a good change, but I don't really see how it's Nobel Prize good.

Maybe it's time we take back the peace prize from the Norwegians, that Union thing that was the reason for them getting it in the first place isn't really relevant anymore?

Grudge on
  • Options
    Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Suriko wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    He is however taking steps to prevent a 3rd or 4th war by opening diplomatic channels. Something the previous administration was against. Giving him some diplomatic backing there would help.

Obama can claim to have done one thing to further peace and understanding: He was elected president of the USA. Have we all forgoten that this was kinda of a big deal?

He also brokered a deal with Russia to decrease the two's nuclear stockpiles and has, at least for now, defused the situation surrounding the missile defence shield.

I still don't think this was warranted, though. The dude has done some stuff, but honestly I'd expect a lot of this from any less-than-disasterous president.

True. He's done SOME good stuff, but we're not even near nobel prize level yet. And wasn't this prize meant as something to help those who are in dire need of more funds to further their work?

Phoenix1985 on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    33papza.jpg

I saw this earlier. :lol:

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess it becomes a question of who else it should be given to. It does seem like it has been a slow year for peace.

Obama has done some pretty admirable diplomatic things for a U.S. president, although none of it has been particularly flashy or even that permanent.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    True. He's done SOME good stuff, but we're not even near nobel prize level yet. And wasn't this prize meant as something to help those who are in dire need of more funds to further their work?

If he does accept it (what's the protocol on that? It's been announced, so he'll probably accept it, I dunno how it works), I'd be very surprised if he didn't donate the money to charity.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's a stupid bullshit political award given for stupid bullshit political reasons. It was a noble idea by Alfred Nobel, but is you know, stupid.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    It's a stupid bullshit political award given for stupid bullshit political reasons. It was a noble idea by Alfred Nobel, but is you know, stupid.

The scientific prizes are a good idea. Peace prize is way too political. I'm undecided on the literature prize.

Echo on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I guess it becomes a question of who else it should be given to. It does seem like it has been a slow year for peace.

Obama has done some pretty admirable diplomatic things for a U.S. president, although none of it has been particularly flashy or even that permanent.

How about the IPCC

Or the researchers at the LHC

Or the Apollo 11 Crew

You know, peace through the spirit of exploration and the pursuit of knowledge, pushing the boundaries of humanity's reach and all that

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The scientific prizes are a good idea. Peace prize is way too political. I'm undecided on the literature prize.

Right, I'm specifically referring to the Peace Prize.

There are all kinds of ways he could potentially deserve such an award in a few years, especially if his nuclear disarmament proposals take off. But now... no.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boredom wrote: »
    SnL's criticism of him is spot

No. No it's not. :?

That said, this is wildly pre-mature. They should've waited for results or for his first term to be over so that they could award it for all the effort toward things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

How about the IPCC

Or the Apollo 11 Crew

You know, peace through the spirit of exploration and the pursuit of knowledge, pushing the boundaries of humanity's reach and all that

that seems as silly as giving it to Obama

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My first reaction when my girlfriend told me this morning was "you must have accidently clicked on a Snopes link on your google homepage".

I like Obama as much as anyone else, and yeah, he has shown a lot of commitment to doing something about nuclear disarmament and climate change, but this is way too early and not much has been accomplished yet. It also seems a little patronising too, like they're trying to jump on the "me too" bandwagon of gushing about how amazing it is that a black guy got elected.
    Movitz wrote: »
    Fortunately the Nobel Prize is never awarded posthumously. You can stop worrying
    Hammarskjöld received it posthumously, but I think he might have already been nominated before the plane crash.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

How about the IPCC

Or the Apollo 11 Crew

Those are science things, though. The Peace Prize is supposed to go to someone that is working for peace between people, not exploring space or sub-space.

I'm not sure Obama really deserves this yet, but I'm at a loss as to who in the international community really deserves it more. This last year wasn't exactly full of Mandelas or Ghandis. Opening actual honest to god nuclear talks with Iran and Russia is a damn good start, but it seems like they should at least wait until something is inked to give him the credit for that. Iran shipping out its enriched material is nice, but it's not conclusive.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, this was way too early. To be fair to the Nobel organization, I more or less sussed out what the reasoning was before I ever heard their explanation, and I suppose that in an off year where there weren't too many serious alternatives, it makes some sense. Still, good for Obama, maybe he can follow through on some of his goals and win again in a few years. I'm genuinely curious to see how this is going to play with the Obama hater crowd.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's a question; is it possible to turn down the prize?

Henroid on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think its kinda unfair to blame Obama for running two wars at once

Personally, I don't blame him at all. I just don't think he should get credit for ending them until they've ended.

Evander on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Declare war on Norway.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Declare war on Norway.

Y'know, I'm sure some of our more... colorful personalities... in America are going to condemn the entire nation for this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think its kinda unfair to blame Obama for running two wars at once, both of them where started before he was even elected to the senate after all. He can't leave either of them without them becoming worse then if we stayed, so its not like he has a lot of choice in the matter. Credit where credit is due(Bush) after all.

To the reasoning of the far left, Obama had 90 days to sound retreat and call the army home. That didn't happen, so in their eyes he ceased to be a potential Gerald Ford and became Lyndon B. Johnson.

Unequivocal retreat. That's what the anti-war platform wanted when they voted for Obama.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, the far left that wants all the troops home no matter what annoy the piss out of me. They're extremely selfish, with regard to what the situation would be like if we did pull our troops out all of a sudden.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, and the rest of us on the left that aren't living in fantasyland actually knew that Obama being elected president wasn't going to magically end our conflicts abroad and bring our military home overnight. I fully expect us to still be in Afghanistan when Obama gets re-elected.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think its kinda unfair to blame Obama for running two wars at once, both of them where started before he was even elected to the senate after all. He can't leave either of them without them becoming worse then if we stayed, so its not like he has a lot of choice in the matter. Credit where credit is due(Bush) after all.

To the reasoning of the far left, Obama had 90 days to sound retreat and call the army home. That didn't happen, so in their eyes he ceased to be a potential Gerald Ford and became Lyndon B. Johnson.

Unequivocal retreat. That's what the anti-war platform wanted when they voted for Obama.

I will admit I thought this initially, but then I realized what an Awful Mistake this would have been.

I am a HUGE Obamafan, but even I feel this was a bit...early.

But my question is this- who else has done anything notable for peace this year? Obama has at least gotten the ball rolling on diplomacy and has started working pretty well with the UN. That coupled with his LARGE international appeal can bee seen as points towards this.

I guess my question is this- Internationally, how is Obama received? I know we have some furr'ners around here, weigh in guys! How does your country view our prez?

Arch on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    I will admit I thought this initially, but then I realized what an Awful Mistake this would have been.

This may very well be true but the extreme far left (like the extreme far right) lives in a delusional fascist reality where their conclusions are always right and nothing bad would happen if the country would follow their mandates to the letter.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This may very well be true but the extreme far left (like the extreme far right) lives in a delusional fascist reality where their conclusions are always right and nothing bad would happen if the country would follow their mandates to the letter.

Well, duh.

Arch on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As most people have agreed, its premature. Yes, President Obama has been a force for peace and world stability if only by not being as insane as his predecessor in terms of policy, diplomatic contempt and bellicosity. And yes, his mere election shored up international unity in terms of giving Developing Nations a glimpse into the possibility of becoming more (a political American dream if you will) and by putting America under the leadership of a guy who could probably have won high office in half of Europe given his apparent popularity there. But he hasn't had the time to enact the actual policy changes he intends yet.

Still, its worth it. Why?

The conservatives are going to LOSE THEIR SHIT:lol:

edit
    Apparently the award was partially for his past successes, partially for changing the climate of international diplomacy and partially to encourage that climate. So "more of this please!" as well as "good job hi5!"

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GorelabGorelab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boredom wrote: »
    SnL's criticism of him is spot

No. No it's not. :?

That said, this is wildly pre-mature. They should've waited for results or for his first term to be over so that they could award it for all the effort toward things.

Well that and it seems to be partially "WHY HASN'T HE GOTTEN A YEAR OF BIG STUFF DONE ALREADY! WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS TAKES TIME?!"

A lot of this stuff does take time. Yeah, the health care stuff is a debacle, but so is every big bill that goes to Congress. Welcome to the legislature.

Though yeah. Premature on the Noble Peace prize.

Gorelab on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Truth

Arch on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One could argue that simply by winning the election he prevented at least one war.
    Probably closer to five or six.
    That old man McCain is one cranky son of a bitch.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I suppose anything that creates a non-zero chance of Rush having an on air aneurysm isn't all bad.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Truth

The SE++ thread on this has some Fox news comments in their OP, if you want to see it begin.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mark Halperin was on Morning Joe this morning, and he speculated that this may have also been a move to encourage Obama to not pursue military options with Iran. It does look kinda bad to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner and then go declare war.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, talks have started again with Iran, North Korea seems to be willing to almost begin negotiations again (although this one being Obama's is probably not accurate), we stopped the idiot missile shield system, which warmed ties with Russia, and the idea that we don't really have to live in fear that we'll randomly go to war with someone we don't like is nice.

So to say he's done nothing isn't quite accurate. It's certainly premature, but the groundwork to actually achieving shit has already begun

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I am a HUGE Obamafan, but even I feel this was a bit...early.

But my question is this- who else has done anything notable for peace this year? Obama has at least gotten the ball rolling on diplomacy and has started working pretty well with the UN. That coupled with his LARGE international appeal can bee seen as points towards this.

I guess my question is this- Internationally, how is Obama received? I know we have some furr'ners around here, weigh in guys! How does your country view our prez?

Up here in Canada he's viewed half decently. I personally think he's doing an alright job with it being just under a year since he was elected but I do think a nobel peace prize is a bit much. At least for right now. True he's done quite a bit on international relations but I still couldn't help but feel it was a bit premature when I heard this on the radio this morning.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    xa52 wrote: »
    One could argue that simply by winning the election he prevented at least one war.
    Probably closer to five or six.
    That old man McCain is one cranky son of a bitch.

President McCain declares war on cloud.

Cinders on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This just in: Pope Benedict XVI has Beatified Barrack Obama, the first step in having Obama declared as a Saint. His Holyness said that calling Kayne West a Jackass was a Blessed Act which shows his devotion to Christ. He also cited the miracle by which Obama turned Red States into Blue States. [/satire]

Yeah, feels a little premature. I hope it's vindicated in the future.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    just under a year since he was elected

putting it this way, it seems even more crazy.

It has been LESS THAN nine months since Obama took office. Babies who were conceived on Inauguration Day still haven't been brought to full term.

Evander on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This just in: Pope Benedict XVI has Beatified Barrack Obama, the first step in having Obama declared as a Saint. His Holyness said that calling Kayne West a Jackass was a Blessed Act which shows his devotion to Christ. He also cited the miracle by which Obama turned Red States into Blue States. [/satire]

Yeah, feels a little premature. I hope it's vindicated in the future.

But...but...the gays! The abortions! The free thinking women! D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They just wanted to avoid another situation like with Carter, where they had to listen to people bitch for 20 years that he hadn't won one.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This was definitely as much of a slap in the face to the former Bush administration as it is an award for Obama

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    According to what I've read, nominations had to have been post marked by February 1st. Obama was inaugurated on the 20th. What did he do in less than two weeks to win a Nobel Prize?

First black president I guess? Maybe?

jhunter46 on