As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bomb the Moon, win the Nobel Peace Prize

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh god i just noticed the thread title

:lol:

Arch on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, POTUS is a big enough job that on pure utilitarian grounds anyone who manages to get elected has met the Nobel standard. A month of doing nothing as POTUS probably has more impact on the world than a dozen Mother Theresas. If you see the world from a non-USA perspective, winning the election after 8 years of Bush is a big thing.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Still, its worth it. Why?

The conservatives are going to LOSE THEIR SHIT:lol:

Truth

I get on Facebook to read these jewels:
    Riddle me this batman. How in the hell does Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 when the cutoff to be a candidate was February 1st? 12 days into office he did exactly what to help achieve world peace? Since then we know he has become the comma...nder and chief of a major military movement in the Middle East that is gonna turn into our generation's Vietnam. Be ready for exciting times folks.
    nobel awarded to the obamasiah....yeah im trying to figure this one out. Maybe he should give the monetary award to the people as another stimulus.

urahonky on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    (non-insane) theories I've seen so far:

It was awarded to force Obama's hand in not invading Iran or escalating in Iraq.

Another snub to George W Bush's administration, joining Al Gore and Krugman's prizes.

To encourage Obama to do more peace-related things a la Cairo.

Ill-timed encouragement, the committee was expecting the Cairo diplomatic initiative to remain visible and news-generating for much longer than it turned out to do.

Nuclear disarmament, there are claims that Obama is big on this "in diplomatic circles".

He is. One of his pets during his senate years too.

However, it seem the prize has been awarded to "make points" lately rather than to recognize accomplishments. Obama really hasn't done much internationally yet.

We will find out if this was merited in due time, as it is obviously very premature.

The Peace Prize is always used to 'make points' since it is the only truly political prize they have. It isn't like the award for literature or physics, it's very awarding is an attempt to reshape the world in a way that makes it more peaceable.

moniker on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    Obama himself said its undeserved and a call to greater action on his part.

so, case closed?

Not really. I agree with what Obama is saying and do believe he means it in this case, but there's really no basis to believe what Obama says is generally what Obama believes.

I don't mean that in a mean way, only a bit cynical. Example: 'Oh no, you've got it all wrong, racism doesn't play any part in the opposition against me'. Bullshit. We all know it, he knows it, but he had to say that because it was the only politically acceptable move in that situation.

Likewise, saying "I didn't deserve it" was the only politically acceptable move here, whether or not he actually meant it. It's just a coincidence that in this case, he actually did mean it.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Im really glad Im not friends with so many fucking morons. all I saw is someone making a joke about winning the nobel for science for puting lots of effort into taking a shit. and then he said congrats to obama... on facebook. to show it was a joke.

how are you not arguing with these people?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Riddle me this batman. How in the hell does Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 when the cutoff to be a candidate was February 1st? 12 days into office he did exactly what to help achieve world peace? Since then we know he has become the comma...nder and chief of a major military movement in the Middle East that is gonna turn into our generation's Vietnam. Be ready for exciting times folks.
    Obama was born in January of 2009.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    As for the nomination process, a bunch of heads of states are nominated. Fuck, Achmedinejad was nominated. Sarkozy was nominated. The nomination part isn't a surprise.

Citation?

Nobel.jpg

Putin was nominated. And W.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

[Citation needed] I can't find his birf certificate online.

urahonky on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How embarrassed should I be that I had to look up 12 of the 20 people on that chart?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Echoing the "way too soon"/undeserved comments.

He hasn't done anything yet. The Nobel prize should be saved for something like negotiating peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis, not handed out for adopting a not insane foreign policy.

Bullshit. Fucking educate yourself. He's done a ton of work that is deserving of this award.

[citation needed]

How about the $5 billion in aid he helped secure for Pakistan to rebuild their economy and help fight Islamic terrorism?

Or the active steps he's taken to engage the Islamic world on the diplomatic front, rather than just bomb the hell out of them?

Or all the work he started as a Senator, and has continued as President, in nuclear disarmament?

Saying he hasn't "done anything yet" is just playing into the stupid fucking stuffed-shirt meme the GOP has been shouting from the rooftops since last year. If you don't think he's done anything, that's more indicative of your ignorance than his actions.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    As for the nomination process, a bunch of heads of states are nominated. Fuck, Achmedinejad was nominated. Sarkozy was nominated. The nomination part isn't a surprise.

Citation?

Nobel.jpg

Putin was nominated. And W.

Those are odds, not nominations. Nominations are secret.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    A common complaint I'm hearing is that Reagan didn't win the Peace Prize, so it show's how liberal skewing the committee is.

Now I don't know enough about Reagan's politics to argue that he should have/should have not won the prize..anyone care to enlighten me?

He sold weapons to Iran to fund Nicaraguan counter-revolutionaries. This just happened to coincide with the beginnings of the crack epidemic in the US. The number of letters in the name "Ronald Wilson Reagan" just happens to be 6-6-6.

Oh fuck, man. Don't start with Reagan the Antichrist, because there are entire volumes written.

Well I don't believe in a Christ or Antichrist. That bit was silly. He was a terrible, evil person though.

HE WOULD BE MORTALLY WOUNDED BUT RISE AGAIN TO REIGN FOR SEVEN YEARS.

Dunno about the Antichrist bit, but he (Reagan, not the Antichrist) was good friends with Efrain Rios Montt, who launched a campaign of arrest, torture, rape, murder, and other bad things against the population of Guatemala. Estimated death toll is above 200,000.
    President Ríos Montt is a man of great personal integrity and commitment. ... I know he wants to improve the quality of life for all Guatemalans and to promote social justice.

Yeah, that pretty much eliminates him from the running for the prize.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    About the nuclear disarmament thing.

He got Russia to agree to it. After Bush terminated chances of getting that done. I think that's effort to be commended.

Henroid on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    About the nuclear disarmament thing.

He got Russia to agree to it. After Bush terminated chances of getting that done. I think that's effort to be commended.
    This.

And the talking with Iran to get their shit refined by Russia, and allowing us to inspect Iran's facility/facilities. For all the scare-mongering I hear about Russia and Iran I don't know why people want to gloss those points over. (Well, I know, but goddamn)

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

[Citation needed] I can't find his birf certificate online.

Here it is
    ObamaBirthCertificate.gif

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Y'know the more I think about it, the more hesitant I am to stick to my initial position of TOO SOON TOO SOON.

Henroid on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Truth

nobel awarded to the obamasiah....yeah im trying to figure this one out. Maybe he should give the monetary award to the people as another stimulus.

You really, REALLY need to rethink who you have on your friends list.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Echoing the "way too soon"/undeserved comments.

He hasn't done anything yet. The Nobel prize should be saved for something like negotiating peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis, not handed out for adopting a not insane foreign policy.

Bullshit. Fucking educate yourself. He's done a ton of work that is deserving of this award.

[citation needed]

How about the $5 billion in aid he helped secure for Pakistan to rebuild their economy and help fight Islamic terrorism?

Or the active steps he's taken to engage the Islamic world on the diplomatic front, rather than just bomb the hell out of them?

Or all the work he started as a Senator, and has continued as President, in nuclear disarmament?

Saying he hasn't "done anything yet" is just playing into the stupid fucking stuffed-shirt meme the GOP has been shouting from the rooftops since last year. If you don't think he's done anything, that's more indicative of your ignorance than his actions.

I am ignorant. Can you educate me on the specific works he's done on nuclear disarmament as a Senator? "Not Bombing" and giving money is reason enough for getting a NPP?

Can't you just admit, regardless of what he has or hasn't achieved thus far, that the NPP is a bit premature?

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    By the way, the thread title. Was the NASA decision regarding the moon an executive order from Obama? Because, uh... >.>

Henroid on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which would be a better use of the prize money? Donating it to ACORN, or throwing his own Olympics in Chicago?

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

Truth

You really, REALLY need to rethink who you have on your friends list.

No way man. I thrive on this kinda stuff! This is what makes me excited to wake up in the morning!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Which would be a better use of the prize money? Donating it to ACORN, or throwing his own Olympics in Chicago?

Oh man I hope he does either. Though I may die from laughter and the feeling of awesomeness.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Putting it toward the Public Option in healthcare reform, to make sure it has some beef at the start.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wouldnt agree to that. admits got nothing to do with it.

Variable on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I only have one Facebook standout:
    Nobel Prize for international diplomacy. Accomplishments: slapping the queen of england on the back, bowing to foreign potentates, driving up global t-shirt sales during a time of economic peril

Yup. that's all that's been going on in the White House.

The rest of my friends are a bit boring, except for this one from an old prof:
    [Professor] would like to remind you that Nobel Prizes can be declined. Samuel Beckett did that, 40 years ago. In a related story, were you aware that Samuel Beckett is AWESOME?

comment from same guy: Just to clarify: like the Nobel committee, I am delighted that Obama is not George W. Bush. I share their joy.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I tend to think the people who give out this prize would have the most knowledge of who is deserving of the award or not, and whether its premature.

but maybe Im crazy

Variable on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rogue_K wrote: »
    I am ignorant. Can you educate me on the specific works he's done on nuclear disarmament as a Senator? "Not Bombing" and giving money is reason enough for getting a NPP?

Can't you just admit, regardless of what he has or hasn't achieved thus far, that the NPP is a bit premature?
    On nuke disarmament:
    UN actions, Senate actions

WSJ wrote:
    Agot Valle, a Norwegian politician and member of the five-person Nobel committee that chose this year’s winner, said the choice of President Barack Obama was primarily related his stance on nuclear disarmament.

“There is a criticism about the war in Afghanistan, and I understand that,” said Valle in a telephone interview. “But this was primarily an award on his work on and commitment to nuclear disarmament – and his dialogue. Of course there will be criticism, because he hasn’t achieved his goals yet. It will take time, but this is a support.”

Valle said the committee last met on Oct. 5, and that the decision to choose Obama was unanimous, especially after Sept. 24, when Obama became the first sitting U.S. president to chair a U.N. Security Council summit-level meeting. At that meeting, the Security Council passed a resolution calling for a strengthened Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty ahead of negotiations on the issue with Iran in Geneva.

“That strengthened his name, so to say,” Valle said. “It’s a challenge to him, of course, to continue going on in this way.”

She said she hoped the award would help Obama get the U.S. to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and aid him in progressing on climate change in Copenhagen. She added that she supported Obama’s recent decision to drop U.S. plans for a missile-defense shield in Central Europe. “He is giving hope to people who believe in dialogue instead of threats of using military tools,” she said.

Earlier, at the Nobel press conference, committee chairman Thorbjørn Jagland defended the choice of Obama.

“If you look at the history of the Nobel Peace prize, we have, on many occasions, tried to enhance what many personalities are trying to do,” he said. “For instance, when Willy Brandt got the prize back in the 1970s. He launched Ostpolitik in Europe, which was so important to what happened in Europe many years later. For instance, giving the prize to Mikhail Gorbachev, who changed the world completely. And now to President Obama, who is contributing to improve the international climate.”

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My Facebook page is still waking up. Only a couple people have commented on this though and it's pretty much nothing crazy one way or the other.

It's also the first time in a LONG time anyone on my Facebook has turned a head toward politics. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Can't you just admit, regardless of what Conservatives think of him, he has done a lot of good work, including his time as Senator, and maybe deserves this award?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    what.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Can't you just admit, regardless of what Conservatives think of him, he has done a lot of good work, including his time as Senator, and maybe deserves this award?

A lot of people deserve the Nobel Peace Prize. Most of them don't get awarded it.

moniker on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Republican Party has thrown in its lot with the terrorists — the Taliban and Hamas this morning — in criticizing the President for receiving the Nobel Peace prize. Republicans cheered when America failed to land the Olympics and now they are criticizing the President of the United States for receiving the Nobel Peace prize — an award he did not seek but that is nonetheless an honor in which every American can take great pride — unless of course you are the Republican Party. The 2009 version of the Republican Party has no boundaries, has no shame and has proved that they will put politics above patriotism at every turn. It’s no wonder only 20 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans anymore – it’s an embarrassing label to claim.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It was already posted Syphon, but it's still amazing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It makes me giddy

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The Republican Party has thrown in its lot with the terrorists — the Taliban and Hamas this morning — in criticizing the President for receiving the Nobel Peace prize. Republicans cheered when America failed to land the Olympics and now they are criticizing the President of the United States for receiving the Nobel Peace prize — an award he did not seek but that is nonetheless an honor in which every American can take great pride — unless of course you are the Republican Party. The 2009 version of the Republican Party has no boundaries, has no shame and has proved that they will put politics above patriotism at every turn. It’s no wonder only 20 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans anymore – it’s an embarrassing label to claim.

Already posted but nice to see again anyway.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It makes me giddy

I don't like it. The criticism is pretty unfair.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    really its not

Variable on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »

A lot of people deserve the Nobel Peace Prize. Most of them don't get awarded it.

I fail to see what your point is. Besides, my comment was more irritated snark towards Rogue K than anything else.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

No one here is silly enough to regard their thinking.

Anyway, the NPP is not like the other prizes. It is invariably a political prize, awarded not only for past accomplishments but also for future potential and opportunity. It is even a snub to unreasonable detractors and opponents, of which Obama has a plethora. Considering Obama is accosted by completely solipsists who so far managed to fuck up one good war and laud a completely evil one, the snub is worthy of being made. I am not aware of how well Obama has started closing rifts in the world or to what degree he has promoted aversion to violence and serenity in relevant areas of the world, but his potential is undeniable.

It was inevitable he would one day win it.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]