Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Greatest Country on Earth!

1567911

Posts

  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I dont know if you have this in the states, but Toppers Pizza. SO F'n good.

    God, some of my friends go to Pizza Hut Buffet a lot (its exactly what it sounds like, a buffet of pizza).

    Yeah, it sounds good. Except that my body literally shuts down after eating it. Its like a clusterfuck of digestive problems.

    I ate there once....... never again.

    Al_wat on
    PSN: AWATTT66| XBox Live: AWATTT66| Steam: AL-WAT| Battle.Net: ALWATTS #1320
    Origin: aiwatt| Switch: SW-8499-0918-5960
  • thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited December 2006
    Gim wrote:
    Pizza Hut should be wiped from the face of the Earth. I occasionally have some of their pizza with the really sweet sauce. It is wretched.

    Pizza Hut is a saint you shut your stupid fucking mouth. The pan crust is glorious. Sauce and cheese are "eh" but the crust makes up for it a thousand times over.

    Dominos, on the other hand, just blows and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Papa Johns seemed okay the one time I tried it.

    thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    In Thailand, Dominos was actually run out of business by Pizza Hut and a local franchise that ripped off Pizza Hut, creatively named "The Pizza Company".

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    My dad got his lawyer to keep him from having to become a veteran.

    It's one of the things I respect about him most.

    Also because it kept me from not existing.

    Veterans of that war are either people who were deluded by society, weren't clever enough to get out of it or flee, people who were desperate, or people who're just fucked up.

    I can feel -sorry- for them, sure. But respect has to be earned in some way other than what amounted to blood sports.
    Since no one else touched on this, I would just like to thank you for having the courage to get on a public forum like this, and insult so many people you've never met. I can't wait to tell my Dad, several uncles, a couple teachers, and all in all a great deal of people that I respect that they're a bunch of deluded fuckups for fighting in Vietnam, and they should have did the smart thing and dodged the draft like some random guy on the internets Dad, you know, instead of being an idiot and getting drafted or, god help them, actually enlisting! They'll be glad to have your pity I'm sure.

    Neaden on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Neaden wrote:
    Since no one else touched on this, I would just like to thank you for having the courage to get on a public forum like this, and insult so many people you've never met. I can't wait to tell my Dad, several uncles, a couple teachers, and all in all a great deal of people that I respect that they're a bunch of deluded fuckups for fighting in Vietnam, and they should have did the smart thing and dodged the draft like some random guy on the internets Dad, you know, instead of being an idiot and getting drafted or, god help them, actually enlisting! They'll be glad to have your pity I'm sure.
    You sound pretty outraged that some random dude doesn't respect your relatives for having been drafted. I mean, I'm not really in agreement with fireguy on this one, but hell if that's his take on it, whatever.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As for meat pizzas... well... you know.. barbecue sauce and all.
    what in all the damn hells

    barbecue sauce is wtf-worthy on a pizza

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neaden wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    My dad got his lawyer to keep him from having to become a veteran.

    It's one of the things I respect about him most.

    Also because it kept me from not existing.

    Veterans of that war are either people who were deluded by society, weren't clever enough to get out of it or flee, people who were desperate, or people who're just fucked up.

    I can feel -sorry- for them, sure. But respect has to be earned in some way other than what amounted to blood sports.
    Since no one else touched on this, I would just like to thank you for having the courage to get on a public forum like this, and insult so many people you've never met. I can't wait to tell my Dad, several uncles, a couple teachers, and all in all a great deal of people that I respect that they're a bunch of deluded fuckups for fighting in Vietnam, and they should have did the smart thing and dodged the draft like some random guy on the internets Dad, you know, instead of being an idiot and getting drafted or, god help them, actually enlisting! They'll be glad to have your pity I'm sure.

    I've had family in the military.

    They are all very happy that they came to their senses.

    I'm sorry that your family did not learn from their mistakes, and made sure to pass on the delusion.

    Do you want a hug?

    --
    As for meat pizzas... well... you know.. barbecue sauce and all.
    what in all the damn hells

    barbecue sauce is wtf-worthy on a pizza

    You have to keep in mind that the people who produce Corn Syrup are insanely powerful.

    Incenjucar on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Read what he said again.
    Veterans of that war are either people who were deluded by society, weren't clever enough to get out of it or flee, people who were desperate, or people who're just fucked up.
    It's not showing a lack of respect, I'd be fine with that. I'm not saying everyone who was in the Vietnam war is some big hero or something like that, I'm saying that characterizing all of them as either deulded, dumb, desperate or fuck ups is offensive.
    Edit: Incenjucar I'm trying my hardest not to resort to insults here. I'm not saying I agree with the vietnam war, I don't. I'm not even saying most of the people I know who served in it either agreed with it then or do now. I am saying that they aren't fuckups or stupid for having served, I don't want you to bow down and kiss their feet, just don't insult them.

    Neaden on
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Yeah at first I thought that was an unreasonable statement. And then I thought about all the reasons a person could have to fight in the Vietnam war and I couldn't think of any that weren't covered having one of those traits, at least to some extent.

    real_pochacco on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neaden wrote:
    Read what he said again.
    Veterans of that war are either people who were deluded by society, weren't clever enough to get out of it or flee, people who were desperate, or people who're just fucked up.
    It's not showing a lack of respect, I'd be fine with that. I'm not saying everyone who was in the Vietnam war is some big hero or something like that, I'm saying that characterizing all of them as either deulded, dumb, desperate or fuck ups is offensive.
    Edit: Incenjucar I'm trying my hardest not to resort to insults here. I'm not saying I agree with the vietnam war, I don't. I'm not even saying most of the people I know who served in it either agreed with it then or do now. I am saying that they aren't fuckups or stupid for having served, I don't want you to bow down and kiss their feet, just don't insult them.

    There is no -good- reason to have participated in that war.

    They are all BAD reasons, or at best, SAD reasons.

    edit: Insult me if you please. My opinion is what it is, and it has quite the strong basis. I'm not changing it just because it hurts the feelings of people and the family of people who made poor decisions or who were forced in to those decisions.

    Incenjucar on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So not wanting to break the law is a bad reason? Not feeling like just because you're family is rich enough to keep you in college and get a defferment is any reason to let your countrymen die while you stay in relative luxury is a bad reason? The fact that you were in the millitary when the war started and you can't just quit is a bad reason? I'm not trying to say people who dodged the draft were cowards or anything, I can understand that there were plenty of reasons to not want to serve in that war and I honestly don't know what I would have done had I been there. It does not follow though, that anyone who did serve in it was a fuckup or a moron, people died goddamnit, good fucking people got hurt and some of them are still hurt today. They don't need someone like you looking back on it from 30 years in the future and to declare that they are all worse human beings for having been involved in it.

    Neaden on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    Neaden wrote:
    So not wanting to break the law is a bad reason? Not feeling like just because you're family is rich enough to keep you in college and get a defferment is any reason to let your countrymen die while you stay in relative luxury is a bad reason? The fact that you were in the millitary when the war started and you can't just quit is a bad reason? I'm not trying to say people who dodged the draft were cowards or anything, I can understand that there were plenty of reasons to not want to serve in that war and I honestly don't know what I would have done had I been there. It does not follow though, that anyone who did serve in it was a fuckup or a moron, people died goddamnit, good fucking people got hurt and some of them are still hurt today. They don't need someone like you looking back on it from 30 years in the future and to declare that they are all worse human beings for having been involved in it.

    That is a very sweet appeal to emotion you got there. Almost brought a tear to my eyes. Almost.

    I'm with Incenjucar on this one.

    ege02 on
    Medopine wrote: »
    Fuck that woman going "oh god oh no!!"

    It's nature, bitch
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neaden wrote:
    So not wanting to break the law is a bad reason?

    That sounds to me like a bad reason, yes.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neaden wrote:
    So not wanting to break the law is a bad reason?

    When following the law involves shooting people in their own damned country, YES YOU FUCKING MORON.
    Not feeling like just because you're family is rich enough to keep you in college and get a defferment is any reason to let your countrymen die while you stay in relative luxury is a bad reason?

    Your countrymen are SHOOTING PEOPLE.
    The fact that you were in the millitary when the war started and you can't just quit is a bad reason?

    Being deluded in to believing that your country is actually on your side or the side of good is where the "SAD" things come in. Being forced in to something vile is BAD. But being a victim and a sap doesn't make you instantly worthy of respect.

    It's like applauding someone for accidentally stepping on a baby's head.
    I'm not trying to say people who dodged the draft were cowards or anything, I can understand that there were plenty of reasons to not want to serve in that war and I honestly don't know what I would have done had I been there. It does not follow though, that anyone who did serve in it was a fuckup or a moron,

    Even the smartest people can be deluded and trapped. It does not give them the right to my respect.
    people died goddamnit,

    And whose fault is THAT, eh?
    good fucking people got hurt and some of them are still hurt today.

    And as noted, they have my pity for either making a stupid decision or being trapped in to the situation.
    They don't need someone like you looking back on it from 30 years in the future and to declare that they are all worse human beings for having been involved in it.

    Albert Einstein spawned the atomic age. Even he accepted how horrible a thing that was.

    Much of his greatness is that he made one of the most terrible moves in history, and that he was mature enough to acknowledge that the world was not a better place for it.

    Again: There is no good reason to have been involved in that war. Only the bad and the sad.

    Incenjucar on
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm inclined to agree with Neaden on this one. Atrocities were committed by both sides and there's no way we can really appreciate what effects armed conflict can have on each individual human psyche without having experienced it ourselves. There really are no rules in war, just people trying to survive. We'd like to believe that those who break our standardized guidelines for restraint will held accountable, but soldiers are essentially trained to kill. That's their federal government-sanctioned job.

    We could be fighting for all the wrong reasons, but the reality is too complex to hold every single participant responsible for the actions of others or for the corrupted/incompetent decisions of their leaders. Politicians start wars, soldiers fight them, civilians suffer. That's war.

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    I'm inclined to agree with Neaden on this one. Atrocities were committed by both sides and there's no way we can really appreciate what effects armed conflict can have on each individual human psyche without having experienced it ourselves. There really are no rules in war, just people trying to survive. We'd like to believe that those who break our standardized guidelines for restraint will held accountable, but soldiers are essentially trained to kill. That's their federal government-sanctioned job.

    We could be fighting for all the wrong reasons, but the reality is too complex to hold every single participant responsible for the actions of others or for the corrupted/incompetent decisions of their leaders. Politicians start wars, soldiers fight them, civilians suffer. That's war.

    While that's quite an impressive lecture on the nature of war, I fear it doesn't quite address Incenjucar's points.

    ege02 on
    Medopine wrote: »
    Fuck that woman going "oh god oh no!!"

    It's nature, bitch
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yes. Which is why I'm not calling for them to all be slaughtered in their sleep.

    But they did absolutely nothing to deserve respect.

    Medical types aren't so bad... but their presence was to help prolong things, and keep the killing going.

    Incenjucar on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    I'm inclined to agree with Neaden on this one. Atrocities were committed by both sides and there's no way we can really appreciate what effects armed conflict can have on each individual human psyche without having experienced it ourselves. There really are no rules in war, just people trying to survive. We'd like to believe that those who break our standardized guidelines for restraint will held accountable, but soldiers are essentially trained to kill. That's their federal government-sanctioned job.

    We could be fighting for all the wrong reasons, but the reality is too complex to hold every single participant responsible for the actions of others or for the corrupted/incompetent decisions of their leaders. Politicians start wars, soldiers fight them, civilians suffer. That's war.

    The point wasn't about holding people accountable for what they do in war, or that the effects of it are bad. The point is that there wasn't any good reason to be involved in Vietnam, hence, why would anyone be involved in it?

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Easy to say after the fact. Even now, people believe that the Iraq War is winnable.
    ege02 wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    I'm inclined to agree with Neaden on this one. Atrocities were committed by both sides and there's no way we can really appreciate what effects armed conflict can have on each individual human psyche without having experienced it ourselves. There really are no rules in war, just people trying to survive. We'd like to believe that those who break our standardized guidelines for restraint will held accountable, but soldiers are essentially trained to kill. That's their federal government-sanctioned job.

    We could be fighting for all the wrong reasons, but the reality is too complex to hold every single participant responsible for the actions of others or for the corrupted/incompetent decisions of their leaders. Politicians start wars, soldiers fight them, civilians suffer. That's war.

    While that's quite an impressive lecture on the nature of war, I fear it doesn't quite address Incenjucar's points.
    Doesn't it? He's assuming a generality regarding over a million American soldiers and I'm arguing it's never that simple.

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    Doesn't it? He's assuming a generality regarding over a million American soldiers and I'm arguing it's never that simple.

    There was no good reason to go to that war.

    Volume does not change the fact.

    Incenjucar on
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There was no good reason to drop atomic bombs on Japan, and yet it's still widely accepted to this day that it was a pivotal factor in ending the Second World War, in spite of everything we know now. You're telling me you don't sympathize with that mentality, even a little?

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    There was no good reason to drop atomic bombs on Japan, and yet it's still widely accepted to this day that it was a pivotal factor in ending the Second World War, in spite of everything we know now. You're telling me you don't sympathize with that mentality, even a little?

    You just contradicted yourself immensely.

    Incenjucar on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    There was no good reason to drop atomic bombs on Japan, and yet it's still widely accepted to this day that it was a pivotal factor in ending the Second World War, in spite of everything we know now. You're telling me you don't sympathize with that mentality, even a little?

    That's totally unrelated. There was an (at least arguable) good reason to drop the bombs on Japan. It ended the war quickly, preventing further, potentially greater bloodshed.

    There was no good reason for the Vietnam war.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thank you for proving my point. The Japanese were going to surrender, but we had to make it unconditional. And if we'd waited for a few more months, they'd give us the unconditional. But did we know that at the time? There's always a reason, however flimsy or ammoral. In the case of Vietnam, you know about the whole domino theory. It was us and our Western imperial friends and the Soviets with their Communist allies. And we couldn't show weakness by letting Southeast Asia turn red, and at the time we thought that's exactly what would happen.

    Always a reason. Or else it wouldn't have happened.

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    Thank you for proving my point. The Japanese were going to surrender, but we had to make it unconditional. And if we'd waited for a few more months, they'd give us the unconditional. But did we know that at the time? There's always a reason, however flimsy or ammoral. In the case of Vietnam, you know about the whole domino theory. It was us and our Western imperial friends and the Soviets with their Communist allies. And we couldn't show weakness by letting Southeast Asia turn red, and at the time we thought that's exactly what would happen.

    Always a reason. Or else it wouldn't have happened.

    Trust in the propaganda. War is peace.

    Incenjucar on
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, you guys are arguing that there was no reason for Vietnam. And yet it happened. Cause and effect dictates that there had to be reason. Doesn't matter if it wasn't a noble reason, it's still a reason. And the reality is that there were two superpowers after World War II. And American leaders didn't want to risk having an entire region falling under the influence of the other superpower. It's really that simple. Yes, they got caught up in their own ideals masking what was at its core self-preservation or lust for power or both. But that was their reasoning. You say there's no reason and yet there you have it.

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ...

    There was no GOOD reason.

    God damn it man, read.

    Incenjucar on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You're escaping into semantics, now. Of course there was actually a stated reason to go to war. Lyndon Johnson didn't just stand up and say 'you know, I feel like invading a small southeast asian country this week.'

    The point is that there wasn't a good reason for the war, and even less good reason for the average citizen to become involved via the draft, and still less reason to claim that the draft was somehow a good thing because people close to you were called up.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • SynonymousSynonymous Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I'm not changing it just because it hurts the feelings of people.

    Yes, the "I'm brave because I'm a dick" claim to glory. I express my opinions unapologetically in environments where they will be warmly received! If only all our nation possessed such raw courage to enjoy the adulation and congratulation of others!

    Surely, there has been no other conflict in recent memory founded on government lies only later exposed. And, yea, if a soldier decides not to do his or her duty due to newfound objections, the armed forces will be completely understanding and accommodating of their position - and absolutely no one will die before their final opinions on the matter will have time to form and before they have had time to see all pertinent evidence. Conscription is, really, only a suggestion - hence the name, "conscription" - and no one who desires not to fight lacks the money to hire counsel or is unable to divest the familial and financial obligations that tie them to their home and might prevent flight to another nation. For money grows in the bellies of fish that swim from Neverland, raised on the water-borne fruit of the jellybean tree.

    And what is the opinion of George W. Bush, who, like Incenjucar's father, also used his family's affluence to escape combat?

    Synonymous on
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    ...

    There was no GOOD reason.

    God damn it man, read.
    Dyscord wrote:
    You're escaping into semantics, now. Of course there was actually a stated reason to go to war. Lyndon Johnson didn't just stand up and say 'you know, I feel like invading a small southeast asian country this week.'

    The point is that there wasn't a good reason for the war, and even less good reason for the average citizen to become involved via the draft, and still less reason to claim that the draft was somehow a good thing because people close to you were called up.

    Probably. But how do you lambast an entire group of people for doing what they were conscripted and paid to do? Sure, we support our troops now but you could blame this current occupying force in Iraq more than you could blame Vietnam vets who weren't even part of a volunteer army.

    How do you not see the hypocrisy in this?

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dyscord wrote:
    You're escaping into semantics, now. Of course there was actually a stated reason to go to war. Lyndon Johnson didn't just stand up and say 'you know, I feel like invading a small southeast asian country this week.'

    The point is that there wasn't a good reason for the war, and even less good reason for the average citizen to become involved via the draft, and still less reason to claim that the draft was somehow a good thing because people close to you were called up.
    Man no one here is saying the draft was a good thing. I'm saying that putting everyone who served in Vietnam into one of the four catagories of 1. Stupid. 2. Deluded. 3. Desperate or 4. Fucked up is pretty damn offensive to some people who were in a pretty miserable situation. And Synonymous I'd really appreciate it if we could all refrain from any personal attacks. It's just going to make things worse and as I said before, I honestly can't blame anyone for not wanting to serve in Vietnam.

    Neaden on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Synonymous wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I'm not changing it just because it hurts the feelings of people.

    Yes, the "I'm brave because I'm a dick" claim to glory. I express my opinions unapologetically in environments where they will be warmly received! If only all our nation possessed such raw courage to enjoy the adulation and congratulation of others!

    I've also yelled out "Fuck the holy ghost" on a college campus with a primarily Christian attendance and did bad stand-up routines to make sure that said Christians wouldn't be able to take the douchery of the preachers there seriously. But yeah. Clearly, I ONLY speak out here on the internet. Moron.
    Surely, there has been no other conflict in recent memory founded on government lies only later exposed. And, yea, if a soldier decides not to do his or her duty due to newfound objections, the armed forces will be completely understanding and accommodating of their position - and absolutely no one will die before their final opinions on the matter will have time to form and before they have had time to see all pertinent evidence. Conscription is, really, only a suggestion - hence the name, "conscription" - and no one who desires not to fight lacks the money to hire counsel or is unable to divest the familial and financial obligations that tie them to their home and might prevent flight to another nation. For money grows in the bellies of fish that swim from Neverland, raised on the water-borne fruit of the jellybean tree.

    Making or being forced in to bad decisions does not deserve my respect. Go call someone who got in a car accident noble if you wish.
    And what is the opinion of George W. Bush, who, like Incenjucar's father, also used his family's affluence to escape combat?

    It would be fine if he didn't then send other people to go die.

    --

    Saying that people were deluded is not lambasting them. It's an unfortunate thing that they were tricked.

    But being tricked does not mean "Oh, you were so awesome, what with your being used and all."

    My opinion of the majority of veterans is purely neutral. They are what they are. Their veteran status simply has no reason for me to apply a positive opinion.

    Incenjucar on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Plenty of people have done bad things or have been forced into doing bad things. Sometimes it's because they're stupid or deluded, or sometimes they get forced into it by their circumstances (i.e., are desperate.)

    That doesn't make it good, and it doesn't mean anyone should pretend otherwise just for the sake of making them feel better.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    And that would be just fine, except that beyond what's functionally and adaptively sound, there is no definitive standard for what's "good" or "bad" with circumstances notwithstanding.

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    And that would be just fine, except that beyond what's functionally and adaptively sound, there is no definitive standard for what's "good" or "bad" with circumstances notwithstanding.

    You know, there just isn't an argument that I can make against that. I'm done.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dyscord wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    And that would be just fine, except that beyond what's functionally and adaptively sound, there is no definitive standard for what's "good" or "bad" with circumstances notwithstanding.

    You know, there just isn't an argument that I can make against that. I'm done.

    We could argue over what "is" is.

    Incenjucar on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Saying that people were deluded is not lambasting them. It's an unfortunate thing that they were tricked.

    But being tricked does not mean "Oh, you were so awesome, what with your being used and all."

    My opinion of the majority of veterans is purely neutral. They are what they are. Their veteran status simply has no reason for me to apply a positive opinion.
    I think the only problem I have here is you're stating this "they were all deluded, no smart person would ever go to war" as fact. Which is ironic, considering the only reason you're able to say this without being arrested, tried, and executed is because people have been willing to go to war.

    Sure, 30 years after the fact we know that the Domino Effect never happened, that communism spent itself out of existence. But at the time, it was a real fear. And even completely ignoring the fear of communism, we went to South Vietnam to help our allies, the French.

    No war is good, no war is "just", but that doesn't mean no war is necessary. John Stuart Mill said it best.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    We could argue over what "is" is.

    Whatever, if you think blowjobs count it's because you're looking to bolster the scoreboard.

    Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    Synonymous wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I'm not changing it just because it hurts the feelings of people.

    Yes, the "I'm brave because I'm a dick" claim to glory. I express my opinions unapologetically in environments where they will be warmly received! If only all our nation possessed such raw courage to enjoy the adulation and congratulation of others!

    . . .

    Oh, I see it.

    :roll:

    That's one giant strawman.

    ege02 on
    Medopine wrote: »
    Fuck that woman going "oh god oh no!!"

    It's nature, bitch
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Saying that people were deluded is not lambasting them. It's an unfortunate thing that they were tricked.

    But being tricked does not mean "Oh, you were so awesome, what with your being used and all."

    My opinion of the majority of veterans is purely neutral. They are what they are. Their veteran status simply has no reason for me to apply a positive opinion.
    I think the only problem I have here is you're stating this "they were all deluded, no smart person would ever go to war" as fact. Which is ironic, considering the only reason you're able to say this without being arrested, tried, and executed is because people have been willing to go to war.

    Uh, we're talking about the Vietnam War dude. What you said has nothing to do with it, unless you're somehow suggesting that if the USA had not invaded Vietnam, we wouldn't have free speech today?

    ege02 on
    Medopine wrote: »
    Fuck that woman going "oh god oh no!!"

    It's nature, bitch
Sign In or Register to comment.