As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck being in the frienuds zone

TommattTommatt Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I'm just gonna type my typos, as I don't feel like correcting them, and there are many of you in the same situation I am. Women love me, all my friends wives love me, in fact, ask any woman who is taken, I'm a 10/10. I'm funny, attractive, and smart. I'm sweet, thoutfull, and sexy. Yet, I always end up in the friends zone.

Ladies, what takes it from datable to just a friend?

Guys, what do you do to keep it sexual, and not just casual/friendshipul(is that a word?)

To be honest, I havn't had a date date in 5 years. With friends, girls I'm not trying anything with, any sitution i think has no future, I'm money. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I do know I always end up in the friends zone. Every body's GF Lovees me, everybodys wife loves me, but I just seem not to be able to get into a situation where a woman gives a shit about me for me.

Tommatt on

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The friend zone is a myth.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Not only a myth, but potential grounds for infraction.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From what you've describe I'm 100% sure that they probably think you are gay.

InHuman on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I often find myself in the fried nuts zone too. Often there are pretzels involved too, so I can totally relate.

What you need to do is meeting girls who are not interested in frying. Maybe go to places that specifically advertise their disdain for frying and pretzels.

It also helps if you don't act like a frustrated little twat bemoaning his lack of getting any. If there's one thing that makes a dude unlovable it's him being a whiny wanker.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did I stumble into H/A?

Friend zone kinda sucks though, but there's an easy way out of it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe you should try asking them out

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you really haven't had a date in five years, that's just the result of not trying.

Do the online dating thing, ask women out that you meet in whatever social setting you regularly find yourself in. Also stop telling yourself you're a 10/10.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure that you're not as awesome as you think you are.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Under no circumstances do you get any sympathy from me. I'm in a much worse situation generally, 21 years old with a stint at the psychologist required before I can even think about getting any love or sex out of life, but I don't start new threads about it that operate around frat-boy terminology and ideation.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your post makes me think you're about a 3/10 who's wives friends consider an object of pity. But that's mostly because you came off as a massive twat.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was told by many women that I was really sweet, but never quite believed it. Yet post high school I suddenly found my groove and have dated 3 women all of whom my high school self would've considered way out of my league.

This probably isn't the same problem you have though.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    What the fuck is a friend zone?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »

It's like the Negative Zone, only populated by friends instead of antimatter.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The friendzone is a myth perpetrated on emotionally vulnerable adolescent males that once you hit a particular duration of relationship with a female without trying to engage with her sexually that she stops viewing you as having a penis at all.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My best friend of...13? years now is a female so there is in fact a friend zone. The friend zone exists as long as both parties have no desire to get down the others pants.

They may very well enjoy your personality, and your company. However the truth is they have no desire to get anything more from you than they are currently getting now. Someone once said that women know pretty quick after meeting you if they are willing to sleep with you. That can change over time in some cases but I would not count on it. Of course your friends think your a 10, or a great guy. They are your friends, they like you otherwise they would not be (unless you are useful), second stop letting women put you in the friend zone. If a woman says lets just be friends it is perfectly acceptable to say no, the fact that I am interested in you pretty much precludes us being friends and I do not need the hassle. Don't be someones emergency dick in a jar that they keep on display.

Ever heard the job interview metaphor? Imagine if you submitted your resume to a company, they pulled you in for an interview and tell you that you are absolutely 100% what they are looking for however they are not going to hire you. What they are going to do is keep your resume on file and compare all future applicants to it. Moreover even if they do not measure up we are still going to hire them. Then we are going to call you at 3am to tell you just how badly they are not measuring up.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aha... I see. Now that sounds pretty strange. People are different, some will lose interest, some won't. I wouldn't think it's fair to say such a thing exists.

Honk on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    Haven't taken any psych courses, have we, Detharin?

There's a reason that the ladder theory is grounds for immediate punishment in H&A.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Taken quite a few psych classes actually, however if a girl is not interested pretending to be her friend in the hopes she might one day be interested is just going to lead our dear drunk OP down the road of heartbreak. If you meet a girl, you enjoy her company, all she wants is friendship, and you are willing to be her friend then all is well and good. If you are only accepting the offer of friendship as an attempt to get closer to her in the hopes she will one day decide to date you then you are not being her friend, just a manipulative dick.

Detharin on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are we seriously pretending the friend zone doesn't exist? What universe are you people living in?

Granted, I'm not all about this ladder theory thing, but the friend zone is like goddamn evolution. We can debate how it works and the exact mechanisms of it, but the evidence that it's happening is overwhelming.

edit: Accepting the offer of friendship? Who the fuck even thinks like that?

You meet someone, enjoy being around them, at some point you develop feelings for them and it turns out they don't feel the same way. You continue to be friends because you don't just stop being friends with people over something like that.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ugh let's not have this argument

The friend zone is a useful little conceit for explaining the concept that being a girl's "friend" with the ultimate goal of getting in her pants is fruitless. Trying to make it into anything more than that is dumb.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys have friend zones around them too (I guess obliviousness counts as part of that zone), but for various reasons girls (and gay men) usually don't nail they sorry selves to a cross over it.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    ugh let's not have this argument

The friend zone is a useful little conceit for explaining the concept that being a girl's "friend" with the ultimate goal of getting in her pants is fruitless. Trying to make it into anything more than that is dumb.

Do people actually do this? I think we're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about when you're into a girl who you're already friends with, and she's not into you (often because, in her words, she doesn't want to risk the friendship, or something similar). I don't think I've ever met a single guy who has sought or continues to seek friendship with a woman solely because someday he might get to nail her.

edit: Because the girls know damn well they can get around that friend zone with a minimal amount of effort.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ah of course they do, lots of women have attached themselves to gay men for no good reason at all

granted they're not the brightest women, but hey neither is OP a shining example of his gender

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey OP maybe you should go out and meet chicks and let them know that you are interested in them. You know, just a thought.
    Are we seriously pretending the friend zone doesn't exist? What universe are you people living in?

A unique microcosm of swivel-chair pedants.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ah of course they do, lots of women have attached themselves to gay men for no good reason at all

granted they're not the brightest women, but hey neither is OP a shining example of his gender

We can certainly agree on that. Maybe he's really young? But I'm guessing not with the mention of his friends having wives.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I cannot really see how anyone can make the argument the friend zone does not exist. My best friend is female, we have both seen each other through quite a bit of hell. Heck for the longest time people kept insisting I was just trying to get down her pants, but after about the 8th year that finally died off. However whenever she is single, or gets a new boyfriend it usually ends up being a cluster fuck and I end up having to give the speech.

Ohh but it does remind me of a funny story. I used to work on her back, neck, and various other body parts quite a bit because of various medical issues. Now mind you I have never touched anything that would be covered by a bikini. However one time her first husband decided to make a snide comment to the effect of even if I had a girlfriend I wouldn't know what to do with her. My response was "X I've touched more parts of your wife's body than you have."

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Guys have friend zones around them too (I guess obliviousness counts as part of that zone), but for various reasons girls usually don't nail they sorry selves to a cross over it.

Oooh ooh - this doesn't get said enough.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So if the OP's friends have wives, and he himself sounds like he was sixteen (and a bit of a twat at that)... I don't think you need to be a rocket surgeon to figure out what the problem might be.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    I cannot really see how anyone can make the argument the friend zone does not exist. My best friend is female, we have both seen each other through quite a bit of hell. Heck for the longest time people kept insisting I was just trying to get down her pants, but after about the 8th year that finally died off. However whenever she is single, or gets a new boyfriend it usually ends up being a cluster fuck and I end up having to give the speech.

Ohh but it does remind me of a funny story. I used to work on her back, neck, and various other body parts quite a bit because of various medical issues. Now mind you I have never touched anything that would be covered by a bikini. However one time her first husband decided to make a snide comment to the effect of even if I had a girlfriend I wouldn't know what to do with her. My response was "X I've touched more parts of your wife's body than you have."

I think what you are trying to say is that you are good friends with someone. "Friend zone" is a term thought up by creepy men who believe in ladder theory and implicates that men only talk to women to fuck with them. They consider 'friend zone' a place you should never want to be in.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    You guys do know that the 'friend zone' was invented by a sitcom and not seriously acknowledged by any literature, right?

Not to mention that this whole "being her friend by lying to her to try to take advantage of her" is self-contradictory.

It's an excuse that spineless people use to give themselves an excuse to not even try. That's the sum and total of it.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    I think what you are trying to say is that you are good friends with someone. "Friend zone" is a term thought up by creepy men who believe in ladder theory and implicates that men only talk to women to fuck with them. They consider 'friend zone' a place you should never want to be in.

Wow, WTF. Seriously? Sounds like they pretty much consider women nothing but whores.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Wow, WTF. Seriously? Sounds like they pretty much consider women nothing but whores.

Well, I think Aroduc is more correct about the origins, but this is the reason mentioning Ladder Theory and related concepts results in you getting punched in the face if you bring it up in Help/Advice.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ladder theory is sort of retarded that way, yes

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys have friend zones around them too (I guess obliviousness counts as part of that zone), but for various reasons girls usually don't nail they sorry selves to a cross over it.

the male friend zone is for chicks we just don't want to fuck

do you really think women are out on the prowl for tail like men are

i mean honestly, the idea that men and women's brains work exactly the same because oh my god sexism is just asinine

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Morbid FloristMorbid Florist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fallout wrote: »

i mean honestly, the idea that men and women's brains work exactly the same because oh my god sexism is just asinine

A thousand times this

Morbid Florist on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Not only a myth, but potential grounds for infraction.

What? Really?

Are you fucking kidding me

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

A thousand times this

you two haven't spent all that much time at bars have you

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    plenty

most of the time it's men coming on to women, and that is at a place that women go to to get laid

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

A thousand times this

you two haven't spent all that much time at bars have you

Or other areas where women exists.

Honk on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

The friendzone is a myth perpetrated on emotionally vulnerable adolescent males that once you hit a particular duration of relationship with a female without trying to engage with her sexually that she stops viewing you as having a penis at all.

The friend zone is not that, it's the idea that given a period of time your friendship has strengthed to the point that you couldn't forsee yourself dating them in any way (it'd be too weird, it'd risk the friendship, etc etc)

And I've placed females firmly into friend zone territory, it's not a male-exclusive zone, however it's bitched about mostly by males

Rent on
This discussion has been closed.