As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii/3DS Shop thread] 8/4 - Mario's Picross 3DS VC

Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
Original OP created by MaximumZero (Not quite so R.I.P.)

wiiwarevc.jpg

Welcome to the Wii Shop Channel Thread, where we'll discuss and keep you updated on Nintendo's digital releases on the Wii Shop Channel, which includes Virtual Console & Wiiware titles, as well as the DSi Shop.

Newest Releases as of November 29, 2010

Nintendo Releases New Titles Every Monday

Wiiware

Airport Mania: First Flight
  • No. of Players: 1-4
  • Publisher: Lemon Games
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Wii Points: 500
  • ESRB Rating: E

Pack your bags for a trip through the skies in Airport Mania. Travel through eight amusing airports while you land a variety of planes, purchase upgrades and avoid delays. Stay on your toes, as some planes carry precious cargo and will need to land in a hurry, while others might need a trip to the repair shop. But, with good planning, you're sure to make it to the gate on time. With unique challenges, whimsical characters and fun that'll put a smile on your face, Airport Mania is one flight you can't miss.

HB Arcade Disc Golf
  • Publisher: HB Studios Multimedia
  • Genre: Sport
  • Wii Points: 1000
  • ESRB Rating: E

HB Arcade Disc Golf re-creates the popular disc-flinging sport in the comfort of your own living room. Playing the game is as easy as tossing a disc around on a beautiful day. The goal of the game is to put the disc in the basket in the fewest throws possible. Disc golfers have three different types of discs at their disposal when out on the course: a driver, a mid-range disc and a putter. Also, there are three different types of throws available: forehand, backhand and the hammer throw. The forehand and backhand throws change based on the handedness of the player, and can be used to draw or fade a shot, while the hammer throw is less about distance and more about height. At the end of the round, scores are tallied and the player with the lowest score is the winner.

Virtual Console

gfs_5665_2_1_thm.jpg

MAGICAL DROP II
  • Publisher: D4 Enterprise
  • System: NEOGEO
  • Original Release: 1996
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Wii Points: 900

MAGICAL DROP II is a puzzle action game released by Data East in 1996. The rules are simple. Control the clown to pull in and throw back the balloons that appear on the screen. If you line up three or more balloons of the same color in a row vertically, they will burst. Some balloons feature unique characteristics. Special balloons, which come in all four colors, pop every balloon of the same color. Arrow balloons burst everything in the direction the arrow is facing. Rainbow balloons have the same effect as special balloons, but can be thrown against a balloon of any color. And then there are bubble balloons, which simply get in your way. Together, these provide you with great chains and combos that make a puzzle game so much fun. Choose between VS CPU Mode, full of battles with a host of comical characters, and Puzzle Mode, where you'll enjoy a one-player challenge. Both modes support player-versus-player action, meaning you can have a great time together with friends.

DSiWare

Cave Story
  • No. of Players: 1
  • Publisher: Nicalis
  • Genre: Action Adventure
  • DSi Points: 1000
  • ESRB Rating : E10+

Cave Story takes you into a rare world where a curious race of innocent rabbit-like creatures, called Mimiga, run free. You wake up in a dark cave with no memory of who you are, where you came from or why you're in such a place. Uncovering Mimiga Village you discover that the once-carefree Mimiga are in danger at the hands of a maniacal scientist. Their only hope rests squarely on the shoulders of a quiet, amnesiac boy who can't remember his own name. Take control and learn the origins of this world's power, stop the delusional villain and save the Mimiga.

Frenzic
  • No. of Players: 1
  • Publisher: Two Tribes
  • DSi Points: 200
  • ESRB Rating : E

Frenzic is a unique puzzle game that dazzles the eye, teases the brain and keeps you coming back for more. It takes only minutes to learn, but months to master as you devise new, impressive play strategies to push your brain to its limit. Compete against your personal best and climb through seven levels of Devotion from Newbie all the way to Frenzic Master. Frenzic is a must-have for puzzle enthusiasts of all ages.

Spot It! Challenge
  • Publisher: Big John Games
  • DSi Points: 200
  • ESRB Rating : E

In Spot It! Challenge, players race the clock to find the hidden objects in cleverly arranged scenes. The puzzles are based on the popular Spot-It book series published by Capstone Press. See how many objects you can spot in 10 different puzzles. Vibrant graphics make spotting objects fun and challenging. Players use the stylus to tap on the hidden objects and also to navigate the extra-large play areas. Spot hundreds of hidden objects in 10 themed puzzles, including Outdoor Sports, Board Games and Fun with Food. Players can compete against their friends using the "Pass Around Play" feature. Up to four players can race to find 10 objects hidden within a puzzle. Each player has to spot the objects and then pass it on to the next player. See who can get the best score! Find objects fast to score the most points. Three levels of difficulty (Easy, Medium and Insane) provide lots of replay value.

Game Lists:

North American VC Release List
Europe VC Release List
Japanese VC Release List
Australian VC Release List

List of WiiWare games released in North America
List of WiiWare games released in Europe

List of DSiWare games

What controllers can I use with Virtual Console Games?

controllers.jpg

3DS code:4511-0654-1976
NNID: Glenn565
Glenn565 on

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First!

I'm curious about how Gravitronix is. Anyone had a chance of downloading it yet?

RockinX on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They have a tutorial video here for Gravtronix:

http://www.gravitronixgame.com/A_English/tutorial.html

It looks kinda fun and it's cheap.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    First!

We uh...we don't really do that 'round here.

Here's some artwork to use in the OP:

ff2h.gif

theancientsbeckon.gif

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First!

I would feel bad about doing it if I hadn't posted to ask a legitimate question.

From the video, Gravitronix looks cool. I might get it when I grab some points.

RockinX on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Considering Cave Story's pretty much a done deal, we should be seeing that in a couple of weeks. I didn't know that there's DLC planned for it; that sound pretty cool.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First!

Here's some artwork to use in the OP:

ff2h.gif

theancientsbeckon.gif

Ah, thank you. I'll add it shortly.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm a frequenter of the forums, and also I happen to be one of the members of the ragtag crew that made Gravitronix! I'll answer any questions about the game or anything I'm legally allowed to answer ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    8-player combat sounds hilariously frantic for parties and such, I assume it works 4 wiimotes+4 gamecube controllers?

When is the release for Europe?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So ... I hear there's some indie game called World of Goo. You guys might have heard of it? I haven't picked it up yet, but I have 1900 points left and I'm wavering between getting the Goo (I would prefer it on Wii over PC or Mac) or holding off for LostWinds 2. Any suggestions?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been slowly playing through World of Goo on the PC and it's just about as fantastic as everyone has said.

Also, yay new thread. Hope you can stay out of jail, OP. :)

SteevL on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can tell you that I enjoyed World of Goo more than the original Lost Winds, but just barely. Some say Lost Winds 2 is better than the first. To sum up....that's a tough one. All I know for sure is you can't go worng with World of Goo. It is so, so great.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I can tell you that I enjoyed World of Goo more than the original Lost Winds, but just barely. Some say Lost Winds 2 is better than the first. To sum up....that's a tough one. All I know for sure is you can't go worng with World of Goo. It is so, so great.

I held off on the original Lost Winds for one reason or another, and then when news of the sequel coming out (and being generally more of everything), I wanted to hold off. I did enjoy NyxQuest a lot, though.

I might snap on World of Goo later this week, but I also finally bought Bit.Trip Core, and holy fuck, the game is still as hard as ever. I still haven't gotten past the second level of Beat, but I did one play of the first level of Core and am now scared to try the second level. I find Core easier, though, just by the digital nature of the D-pad controls. Beat would be worlds more enjoyable with a paddle; I find that playing it with the Wiimote tilting, I grip the controller really weird and my wrists hurt after a short while.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    8-player combat sounds hilariously frantic for parties and such, I assume it works 4 wiimotes+4 gamecube controllers?

Oh, it's actually 4 wiimotes and 4 nunchucks! It's a lot of fun, but it definitely can get frantic. =)

We're going to release in Europe as soon as we can afford the cost of translation and applying to the 3 ratings boards that europe requires (which all cost more than the single US one =( ). Our big problem right now is that we have 0$ left (we've all put in pretty much every cent we've ever saved into getting to this point, and then some)... so we have to see if US sales can be enough to pay for those remaining EU tasks. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Oh, it's actually 4 wiimotes and 4 nunchucks! It's a lot of fun, but it definitely can get frantic. =)

We're going to release in Europe as soon as we can afford the cost of translation and applying to the 3 ratings boards that europe requires (which all cost more than the single US one =( ). Our big problem right now is that we have 0$ left (we've all put in pretty much every cent we've ever saved into getting to this point, and then some)... so we have to see if US sales can be enough to pay for those remaining EU tasks. =(

I really hope it does well...as soon as I get the money I'll be supporting it. It sounds fun, especially with a few others to play with.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bought World of Goo a long while ago. I haven't played it for months, but four the hours me and friends got out of it, it was well worth it. And I'll probably pick it up one of these rainy days and replay through it.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    World of Goo has tons of replay value, and is a really fantastic game. And it feels like a full game, whereas Lost Winds is not. World of Goo has great puzzles, some action in the faster paced levels, and some very funny dialogue, along with a nice story. The multiplayer also works very well, and is incredibly enjoyable with another person.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    World of Goo has tons of replay value, and is a really fantastic game. And it feels like a full game, whereas Lost Winds is not. World of Goo has great puzzles, some action in the faster paced levels, and some very funny dialogue, along with a nice story. The multiplayer also works very well, and is incredibly enjoyable with another person.

I agree, World of Goo is definitely feels like a more complete game. Originally, they planned to release it via retail in Europe, and it would have been fine, size-wise. If you liked Nyxquest, you'll probably like Lost Winds as well, it just a more laid-back game. Play Lost Winds 1 before 2 though, the learning curve is completely out of whack if you start with 2.

Wiimotes+Nunchucks sounds even better, saves me the hassle of digging out my cube controllers. I hope it does well enough for you to release in Europe, it really annoys me that the French, German always need that translation. It just seems so... arrogant.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I really hope it does well...as soon as I get the money I'll be supporting it. It sounds fun, especially with a few others to play with.

Thanks! Be sure to let me know what you think of it when you try it out, I'm particularly interested in seeing if people like the gameplay or not... I get the feeling that people will enjoy it after they get over the initial learning curve, but I've never had anything I've worked on potentially exposed to so many people before. It's a weird feeling. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, there was just news that World of Goo is getting an iPhone port from 2D Boy, so I'm going to hold off on the WiiWare version a bit until I can try it. Which means I don't know exactly what to spend my points on, so I might hold off until Lost Winds 2 comes out. How much is the OG Lost Winds, 1000 points?

Lunker on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Considering Cave Story's pretty much a done deal, we should be seeing that in a couple of weeks. I didn't know that there's DLC planned for it; that sound pretty cool.

Man the music in the second video is awful. If that's the final version then they have completely failed. If someone hears that on their first playthrough they might not realize the original music will not rape your ears, and instead sounds pretty great.

Lunker wrote: »
    Well, there was just news that World of Goo is getting an iPhone port from 2D Boy, so I'm going to hold off on the WiiWare version a bit until I can try it. Which means I don't know exactly what to spend my points on, so I might hold off until Lost Winds 2 comes out. How much is the OG Lost Winds, 1000 points?

I know you said you prefer the wii version, but the computer version is on sale right now for $whatever you want to pay.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I was seriously turned off by the music in both those videos, but the second one in particular. I'm guessing (hoping?) that it was just a capture problem.

SteevL on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »

Man the music in the second video is awful. If that's the final version then they have completely failed. If someone hears that on their first playthrough they might not realize the original music will not rape your ears, and instead sounds pretty great.

I talked to the (only) programmer and she said it's not a final version of the MIDI, and the video accentuates the tinniness besides.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I talked to the (only) programmer and she said it's not a final version of the MIDI, and the video accentuates the tinniness besides.

Oh ok, thanks for that. I'm still gonna be leery about the music until I hear the final version though.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Oh ok, thanks for that. I'm still gonna be leery about the music until I hear the final version though.

Me too. I don't know that they're handling the game very well, I guess as long as we can play the original still it's alright but I don't want newcomers to dislike it based on Nicalis's changes.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Me too. I don't know that they're handling the game very well, I guess as long as we can play the original still it's alright but I don't want newcomers to dislike it based on Nicalis's changes.

Why did they even need to re-do the music, really? Pixel designed a music engine just so he could get the sound he wanted, how can you compare to that?

Oh well, I shouldn't be complaining about something that doesn't exist yet.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Agentflit wrote:
    Lunker wrote: »

I know you said you prefer the wii version, but the computer version is on sale right now for $whatever you want to pay.

I did see that, but I just don't play computer games at all. Don't have a PC, and I know there's a Mac version but our iMac at home is almost strictly for work. I would play the WiiWare or iPhone version a lot more.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would worry about Cave Story, but you can change the music and graphics to the classic, so ti shouldn't be an issue.

I've never played the original, so I can't wait for it.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    New topic to fill my need of online games to play!

When is Super Smash Bros 64 getting on here?

Has it even been rated by the ESRB for release?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Meh, I have no interest in paying 10 bucks for SSB when I have the much improved and better Brawl sitting at home.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, I'm still waiting for Super Mario Kart over Smash Bros 64. That game is great, but feels so much slower compared to Melee. I miss the old stages more than anything else.

But SMK still feels great to me on my SNES. Now I just want it on the Wii so I don't have to keep swapping consoles. Plus my controllers are a tad sticky and unresponsive.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I finally got my Wii online and bought NyxQuest. Very fun platformer. Though I had to muddle through the Wii's odd way of letting you play downloaded games first, which annoys the shit out of me.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    But...it's so simple. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But...it's so simple. :?

So is just playing games from the memory stick. I do it on my PSP all the time.

I'm not saying it's hard, I'm saying it's annoying. And after using a few devices that just play games from whatever storage it uses, the method Nintendo opted for with the Wii just seems backwards. It's pretty easy, yes - you just copy a game to system memory, and if there's no room, let the Wii take stuff off for you or do it yourself. But it just feels like a needless process.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I just use an SD card, and it solves that problem. Wii Shop transfers it to said SD card, I can organize it, and play it strait from the card...easy peasy.

I do understand what your saying though, I too am hoping they take a more user friendly approach next time.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I just use an SD card, and it solves that problem. Wii Shop transfers it to said SD card, I can organize it, and play it strait from the card...easy peasy.

I do understand what your saying though, I too am hoping they take a more user friendly approach next time.

So it's different for an SDHC card? Because that's what I'm using, and it won't let me launch off it. It needs to transfer into system memory first.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man I downloaded Castlevania 3 what with it being Halloween time and all but it is kicking my ass in.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

So it's different for an SDHC card? Because that's what I'm using, and it won't let me launch off it. It needs to transfer into system memory first.

Loki, I am not 100% sure if you know this information or not*, but:

Nintendo has provided a mode of downloading WiiWare straight to SD cards, both SD and SDHC alike, for months now. And you can launch WiiWare (and VC games and channels iirc) straight from the SD or SDHC card. Easily. You just tell the Wii Shop to download to SD card and then the channel shows up there, and you launch the game straight off the SD card**.

You know the little blue SD card icon on the bottom left? Click it and you get a new window showing all WiiWare/VC/Channels that can be launched that are stored on the SD card. Click it, and hit play or whatever and you start up the game.

There has not been a need to manually make space then copy and paste from SD to main memory and vice versa in months. This feature has been present in the Wii Firmware since like March 2009.....

As a side note, right after this feature was implemented the sales for the Strongbad game skyrocketed as people jumped on the opportunity to start buying more WiiWare games since they no longer have to play the shuffle-SD-to-main-memory game any more...

I apologize if you already know all of this. But based on your conversation here it doesn't seem like you do... I'm just trying to be helpful.

*(I think technically speaking it loads the game from SD to a portion of main mem before launching but it does so without user interaction. I cannot confirm this because I simply moved all my big WIiWare games to SD card and cleared up like 99% of my main system memory. Really, the firmware update that has been available since March made all of this a nonissue)

** you can also download to main memory if you like, and then manually move to SD and launch straight from SD. or do what many people in March 2009 did and take all their big main memory WIiware games and transfer them all to SD and start launching from there. This firmware update was a HUGE deal for people who jsut bought Bit Trip Beat which came out like a week before the firmware update allowing for this

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Nintendo has provided a mode of downloading WiiWare straight to SD cards, both SD and SDHC alike, for months now. And you can launch WiiWare (and VC games and channels iirc) straight from the SD or SDHC card. Easily. You just tell the Wii Shop to download to SD card and then the channel shows up there, and you launch the game straight off the SD card**.

You know the little blue SD card icon on the bottom right? Click it and you get a new window showing all WiiWare/VC/Channels that can be launched that are stored on the SD card. Click it, and hit play or whatever and you start up the game.

Did exactly that, running 4.2 firmware. Go to the little blue SD card icon, launch NyxQuest... Sorry, this cannot be launched from the SD card, would you like to transfer this to system memory? Seriously, I was trying different ways for ages. No matter what I did, it needed to be put in system memory.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You know the little blue SD card icon on the bottom right? Click it and you get a new window showing all WiiWare/VC/Channels that can be launched that are stored on the SD card. Click it, and hit play or whatever and you start up the game.

Did exactly that, running 4.2 firmware. Go to the little blue SD card icon, launch NyxQuest... Sorry, this cannot be launched from the SD card, would you like to transfer this to system memory? Seriously, I was trying different ways for ages. No matter what I did, it needed to be put in system memory.

Huh... that's so weird.

I've put all my big games onto SD, like Bit Trip and Gradius Rebirth and such, and they all went straight to SD just fine and launch from there fine.

BRB

edit: Okay...

I have no idea.

I have a bunch of stuff on my SD card and I click the blue card and then on a game and it says launching from SD card (or something) and then the game starts like normal.

I really want to get NyxQuest so I'll try it on that soonish to see if it's game specific or something but I doubt it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Huh... that's so weird.

I've put all my big games onto SD, like Bit Trip and Gradius Rebirth and such, and they all went straight to SD just fine and launch from there fine.

BRB

edit: Okay...

I have no idea.

I have a bunch of stuff on my SD card and I click the blue card and then on a game and it says launching from SD card (or something) and then the game starts like normal.

I really want to get NyxQuest so I'll try it on that soonish to see if it's game specific or something but I doubt it.

It must be a bug with NyxQuest. The only time I had trouble with playing a game directly from the SD card is when I had previously downloaded the game onto the system memory. Some games would launch fine by just copying but other games I would have to delete from system memory then re-download directly onto the card.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace