As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Achievement Unlocked] The PA Achievement Thread

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought they hadn't said that America was getting the GOTY edition? Anyway, doesn't seem like it's too useful. Pass.

That's what the initial plan was, but it's since been confirmed for May 11.

Same day as 3D Dot Game Heroes, and there's a clusterfuck of stuff the week after, so I won't be getting it till like July at the earliest anyways.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lame. Why not play Farmville while you're at it?

(B:AA is worth playing again. So good.)

JAEF on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    By the way, it probably doesn't take much work to qualify your game as something different for a whole new set of Achievements, right?

Because anyone doing GOTY editions from now on should do this, it'll definitely appeal more to some of those Achievement Whores out there for little to no cost.

Probably not, but I'd think the size of that particular market would be too small for such a thing to justify the added expense of resubmission. It is now technically a whole new game and not just a repackaging of already available content. I mean, this shit is just ripe for the 'rent only' crowd.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PohlPohl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Got the bowling Achievement Gobble Gobble on Grand Theft Auto IV last night! Easy peasy. Sadly, Wii Sports bowling is a thousand times better than anything Rockstar came up with...

Pohl on
    Grinding Down - that videogame blog you're not reading.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I am considering triple- and quadruple-dipping on a game I already own.

Batman: Game of the Year Edition on PS3 and 360 will have the same Trophy/Achievements as the original, but are listed as separate games, totaling two Platinums/2000 points to replay one of the best games of the last few years.

On the most recent Giant Bombcast they said that you can get a total of 5000 points on Live from Batman. 360 version, PC version, Japanese 360 version, 360 GotY and PC GotY.

There's probably someone out there crazy enough to get all of them.

Yea, that's pretty sad.

Picked up Wolverine, Dark Void and Wanted for like 30 bucks a few days ago. I have more snacks for the stack!

Just Cause 2, much like its predecessor is way too easy to start dicking around in before you get to achievements. Got the kill 50 without losing HP achieve last night though since I'm playing it on Hardcore and I figure popping that would be best early on.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pohl wrote: »
    Got the bowling Achievement Gobble Gobble on Grand Theft Auto IV last night! Easy peasy. Sadly, Wii Sports bowling is a thousand times better than anything Rockstar came up with...

That's a bit like saying Forza or Gran Turismo is a better driving game...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm trying to get the 20 demolition kills in Bad Company 2. I have played for 31 hours and I only have 3. Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed this up? It's getting to the point where my roommate and I are going to try to get on opposite teams and just cheese the achievement.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The closest I'll come to doing this is Episodes from Liberty City. And mainly so I can listen to Fernando and the '80s station that is exclusive to the disc-only version. (Grumble grumble grumble.)

Honestly, it doesn't bother me if you did it. Though it's still kind of lame... What does this GOTY edition have that differentiates itself?

Oddy, GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City are not separate games so you won't be double-dipping on gamerscore there.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm trying to get the 20 demolition kills in Bad Company 2. I have played for 31 hours and I only have 3. Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed this up? It's getting to the point where my roommate and I are going to try to get on opposite teams and just cheese the achievement.

Port Valdez is where I got most of mine. On the first set of targets, A is in an easily collapsible building and the two-story behind it usually has people hanging out up top.

The second set is the best spot though - both buildings can be collapsed on the objectives. One has the objective upstairs so you can collapse it under people without killing them with C4, and the other is big enough that you can likely collapse it without blowing out all the walls.

It took quite a bit of patience and going specifically for those kills to finally get it.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »

Port Valdez is where I got most of mine. On the first set of targets, A is in an easily collapsible building and the two-story behind it usually has people hanging out up top.

The second set is the best spot though - both buildings can be collapsed on the objectives. One has the objective upstairs so you can collapse it under people without killing them with C4, and the other is big enough that you can likely collapse it without blowing out all the walls.

It took quite a bit of patience and going specifically for those kills to finally get it.

Ugh. I guess I'll just run engi with extra rockets and spam walls. I just want these to be finished so that Achievement stops staring me in the face and I can enjoy shooting mans again.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    The closest I'll come to doing this is Episodes from Liberty City. And mainly so I can listen to Fernando and the '80s station that is exclusive to the disc-only version. (Grumble grumble grumble.)

Honestly, it doesn't bother me if you did it. Though it's still kind of lame... What does this GOTY edition have that differentiates itself?

Oddy, GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City are not separate games so you won't be double-dipping on gamerscore there.

Really? I thought it was considered a fully separate title. Either way, the only reason I'd play it is for Vice City FM.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »

Ugh. I guess I'll just run engi with extra rockets and spam walls. I just want these to be finished so that Achievement stops staring me in the face and I can enjoy shooting mans again.

I used an Assault with a Thompson equipped so I could use C4. That and the +Explosives ammo and +Explosive Radius perk made it a lot easier.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    jclast wrote: »

Really? I thought it was considered a fully separate title. Either way, the only reason I'd play it is for Vice City FM.

Maybe it was originally supposed to be, but when I used I played it through it just added to my GTA IV score. No separate entry. I'd actually have preferred for it to be separate - Both campaigns were long enough that you could easily get 1,000 gamerscore between them without feeling like you were giving it away.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think MS standards might have something to say about that, but there was certainly room for more achievements with TLaD (haven't played BoGT yet).

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Revisiting some old games to get some play out of them before dropping cash on a new title is reminding me why I stopped playing them in the first place. Case in point: the boss in DOA4. She's so relentlessly cheap and ridiculous it stops being fun.

My goal is to bump my completion percentage on TA over 70% before getting a new game (about 14 more achievements), then not get another new game until my completion percentage is over 71%.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DOA4 is so full of nonsense.

The Boss is cheap out the wazoo, and a whole mess of the survival achievements are ridiculous. Like the "get all of the almost identical item drops".

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think MS standards might have something to say about that, but there was certainly room for more achievements with TLaD (haven't played BoGT yet).

I didn't mean that GTA IV should be a 2,000 point game. I meant that Stories from Liberty City could have carried 1,000 points on its own. Similar to how (I think) Tomb Raider: Anniversary had different sets as DLC for Tomb Raider: Legend and as a retail disc.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are we going to start a new thread after this dies? Because I'd quite like to do an achievement challenge - raise your score by the most you can in one week.

360voice has a nice setup for this. Hell, I'll set one up.

EDIT: Register here: http://www.360voice.com/join/F5P9DMSS

I'll start it on Friday and it'll run for a week. The winner is the person who increases their score the most in any given week.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally saved all of my idiot lemming party members in ME2.

You'd think Mordin had a heart condition or something.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Valentin SeleznyovValentin Seleznyov __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I enjoy achievements. But i'm far from a completionist. I've picked up just over half the total amount of gamerpoints from games that i have played.... but when a game comes along that i really enjoy, like Treyarch's masterpiece, Quantum of Solace, i will make it a point to unlock all of the achievements.

Valentin Seleznyov on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Treyarch....QoS....masterpiece.... O_o

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

He must like wearing tuxedos.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well, i'm a huge 007 fan, so i'm a little biased. But Quantum of Solace is comfortably the best Bond game. Unlike GoldenEye, in which you might as well have been playing as Rambo, QoS feels Bond-like.

Treyarch make the best games. World at War is easily the greatest first person shooter of all time.

Valentin Seleznyov on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Are we going to start a new thread after this dies? Because I'd quite like to do an achievement challenge - raise your score by the most you can in one week.

I'll start it on Friday and it'll run for a week. The winner is the person who increases their score the most in any given week.

I'm down.

Shamus on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shamus wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »

I'm down.

If you're interested I ask you to sign up now. Nothing will happen until I start it at 12:01am on Friday.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is anyone interested in playing some Galactrix Puzzle Quest for the MP achievements?

Edit: And apparently a quit counts as a win, so this will be a quick one.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quantum Of Solace actually is an excellent game, and well worth the 10 bucks it costs nowadays. In my opinion its multiplayer is better then that of COD.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So when I found out that the Blood Bowl game would be on the 360, I knew I was going to have to get it. (The PC game from about 15 years ago just wasn't up to snuff.) I also knew there would be XBL achievements because...well, because.
    Discovery 10
    Finish 1 match on Xbox LIVE

Starter 25
    Finish 10 matches on Xbox LIVE

Experienced 25
    Finish 20 matches on Xbox LIVE

Devotee 30
    Finish 50 matches on Xbox LIVE

Pro 35
    Finish 100 matches on Xbox LIVE

Total: 125 points

Fucking grinding bullshit! 100? Really? Sonofa-
    First of many ? 10
    Win 1 match on Xbox LIVE

The start of a long series ? 25
    Win 10 matches on Xbox LIVE

A road paved with victories 25
    Win 20 matches on Xbox LIVE

Any challengers ? 30
    Win 50 matches on Xbox LIVE

A born winner 45
    Win 100 matches on Xbox LIVE

Total: 135 more points

GODDAMMIT!

I don't care how fucking fun your game is supposed to be. Stop doing that shit! I'm not sure I've been this disappointed in an achievement list for a game I've really wanted to play since I saw the list for Football Manager 2008. (And that is actually an improvement over what they did for FM2007...)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good luck finding a game, i rented it the weekend it came out and i think only managed to find 1 game, ever.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I'm definitely going to play the shit out of single-player. It's motherfucking Blood Bowl, after all. But even I knew that game wouldn't have a significant online presence... Something like 97% of all games released really won't warrant such achievement/trophy designs. I really wish they wouldn't just assume that their game will be 'all that'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "How do we get them to play our horrible online?"

"I know, lets make half the achievements online ones!"

"Genius!"

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have certain 'rules' I put in place for myself. The main one being 'try to get 50% + 1 for all games played'. But even then, I'll just walk away from that kind of bullshit. Even if it means being stuck at 205 or something. (Kane and Lynch, I'm looking at you...)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    While I do hate the FPS as a whole, I will say that I had respect for the Modern Warfare achievements for making them all single player focused.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    davincie wrote: »
    Quantum Of Solace actually is an excellent game, and well worth the 10 bucks it costs nowadays. In my opinion its multiplayer is better then that of COD.

Yep. Though i bought it on its release day for full price, and am still extremely happy with it. Halloween 2008. One of the greatest days of my life... in no small part down to the game.

Valentin Seleznyov on
  • Options
    PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    Good luck finding a game, i rented it the weekend it came out and i think only managed to find 1 game, ever.

I have never actively looked for a game, but the several times that I played with my brother or a friend there has never been a game up to join. One thing though is that once you do play a game online you will get friend requests from people that see your name on the scoreboard, so you might find games that way.

The other 740 points of achievements for this game aren't much easier. 9 touchdowns in a 16 turn game? 15 casualties caused when most teams have 12-13 players?

Peryton on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peryton wrote: »
    Zephos wrote: »

I have never actively looked for a game, but the several times that I played with my brother or a friend there has never been a game up to join. One thing though is that once you do play a game online you will get friend requests from people that see your name on the scoreboard, so you might find games that way.

The other 740 points of achievements for this game aren't much easier. 9 touchdowns in a 16 turn game? 15 casualties caused when most teams have 12-13 players?

I figure I'll be playing a lot of games against myself...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the saddest thing is that i really enjoyed the game when i rented it.....

but i'm on a SD tv and the text is literally impossible to read, which wouldnt be a problem but this game was my first ever experience with the game...

I'll try and find it again for sure in the future once i finally get a decent tv.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    While I do hate the FPS as a whole, I will say that I had respect for the Modern Warfare achievements for making them all single player focused.

Except that you wouldn't have a problem getting multiplayer achievements in a CoD game; irony.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Except that you wouldn't have a problem getting multiplayer achievements in a CoD game; irony.

Precicely. I'm sure they realized they had a well constructed online infrastructure and that it would be played like crazy, yet they still didn't muddy up the achievement list with online ones. Very nice choice on their parts.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2010

In this case, the theoretical discussion is 'how do we get people to play our horrible single-player'...

Since basically most games with a persistent online presence also attract heavy criticism towards whichever game's offline gameplay.

Santa Claustrophobia on