As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Childhood Imagination

BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Social Entropy++
When I was a child I was utterly convinced that I would inevitably become a celebrity, possibly as soon as the current year. Since celebrities are allowed to do whatever they want, I would star in action movies that would have little to no plot, involve me shooting grown adults and include many, many action set-pieces. I would practice for these action scenes while I laid in bed at night without being able to fall asleep. I would roll out of danger, imagine jumping long distances into water and hang on to the edge of the bed like it was a cliff-face.

My most elaborate fantasy was a death scenes that I also imagined happening in real life. I would be at a drugstore when a robber would shoot me in the stomach. I would stagger out to the side walk and slowing watch my life fade away. As I got older and discovered girls, I imagined one or another that I liked finding me there and openly weeping as I lay dying. She would give me a final kiss and tell me she always loved me until I was loaded into an ambulance to an uncertain fate. There was an episode of Family Matters (before the introduction of Steve Urkel mind you) that involved a husband getting shot at a store because he was so considerate that he went to get his wife some ice cream even though she didn't even ask him too. Watching that episode I couldn't help thinking what a wonderful way that would be to die

So what did you imagine as a little kid?

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
BusterK on

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Imaginaaaation
    Imaginaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaation

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    don't touch the white ones

hot lava

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I imagined having sex, I think

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always imagined I'd grow up and register on an internet forum and talk about our imaginations.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hasn't changed much, snap

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I imagined I would get a Dreamcast Christmas 1999. I was disappointed :( I got a bunch of shit I didn't give two fucks about.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'M EATING A ELF

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I had very vivid dreams about being able to fly after running backwards through mud of just the right consistency. For a couple of years if I found myself alone in a field, I would try this just in case it wasn't just a dream.

I never actually managed to fly.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i imagined that i would get superpowers when i got older, because everyone has to wait until they're a teenager to get superpowers.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I imagined I was in Zelda a lot

I wore a goron bracelet, and would run around and dramatically pull weeds from the ground and pretend they were bomb flowers

then one day, on the bus, I had this great idea how to insult two girls I had a crush on

I would call them the names of the evil witches from Ocarina of Time

spirit_witches.jpg

So I waited for the perfect time

said it, they asked me to explain, I explained

then I got hella laughed at

Swill on
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought I'd have parents by now.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hogwarts would send me a letter when I turned eleven

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Swill wrote: »
    I imagined I was in Zelda a lot

I wore a goron bracelet, and would run around and dramatically pull weeds from the ground and pretend they were bomb flowers

then one day, on the bus, I had this great idea how to insult two girls I had a crush on

I would call them the names of the evil witches from Ocarina of Time

spirit_witches.jpg

So I waited for the perfect time

said it, they asked me to explain, I explained

then I got hella laughed at

was this last week?

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    I had very vivid dreams about being able to fly after running backwards through mud of just the right consistency. For a couple of years if I found myself alone in a field, I would try this just in case it wasn't just a dream.

I remember sticking my hand outside the car window and wondering how many people in the car doing the exact same thing it would take to get the car airborne

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Once on a trip to my nana's place I turned up the a/c real high and kept my hand next to it so it would get really cold. I was hoping that if it got cold enough I would eventually have the ability to shoot beams of ice out of it. It sounded perfectly logical at the time. I was gonna freeze her for pinching my cheeks.

Also, while on vacation I decided to keep the pringles can so I could tape it to the back of my trike, put some gas in it and have a jet engine like the batmobile. I was utterly convinced this was the best idea ever and eventually gave up when I couldn't tape it on right.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I always dreamt about jumping higher and higher, until I was so high, I was afraid I'd get hurt when I came back down. So, I always sailed into some trees and stopped my fall by holding on to the branches.
    I think I dreamt this about 30 times or so

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Buster this is a fine thread

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i thought cars were on tracks or controlled by some giant computer somewhere

like at disney world

i was deeply horrified when i found out that every driver was controlling his or her car individually

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Buster this is a fine thread

I knew it was going to be good
    I've been listening to Bill Bryson read The Thunderbolt Kid

BusterK on
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wanna die

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    i thought cars were on tracks or controlled by some giant computer somewhere

like at disney world

i was deeply horrified when i found out that every driver was controlling his or her car individually

Yeah, this still kind of scares me

BusterK on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I believed that I could build a working robot.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember a childhood dream where I was falling for a lengthy period of time. Then Spiderman was there and he just watched me as I fell. When I hit the ground, I woke up on the floor and had somehow managed to get out of my crib to sleep there.

Point being, Spiderman is a dick.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The Geek wrote: »

Yeah you fucking failed that one.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I was always mixing stuff I found all around the household, stuff like soap, beauty stuff, shampoo, other chemicals. I'd always write down ALL the ingredients from all the bottles I used, in case something cool resulted.
    Then later on, when I read about electrolysis (7 or so?) I tried it with a 9V battery, water, and some of my mixtures. I thought it was cool when the water began to bubble a little bit, but that was probably just some air being released, not necessarily hydrogen
    The copper wires started to dissolve and turn the water green though, which I found so amazing apparently, that I remember almost 20 years later :p

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always like to entertain notions that I would some day be the first Gundam Pilot.

I loved Gundam.
    And I still really enjoy Gundam.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i was pretty sure that i could be telekinetic if i practiced

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You act as if this is some kind of revelation to me.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was just so sure that the only thing between me and being batman was a mask and a power wheels motorized jeep.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I just like to remind you that you built me without working genitals. thanks, dick

• Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always like to entertain notions that I would some day be the first Gundam Pilot.

I loved Gundam.
    And I still really enjoy Gundam.

I still think that I can be a gundam pilot

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I was always like
    "man this is bullshit"
    "but I gotta try, in case it works! hgnnn!"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I did this too.

I really wanted to have some sort of special power or skill as a kid. Too much animu and vidya games.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    whenever I see a movie where someone has some special powers, I would lie in bed at night hoping I would wake up the next morning with those powers

natek on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a running story in my head wherein I was some kind of GI Joe/James Bond-type superhero of the world, with an elaborate base defense and international gangs of terrortists and/or criminals constantly trying to defend or attack me. I would watch their dreams crumble into dust and their connon fodder minions break against me as my hidden turrets would spring into action, mowing them down like wheatgrass under a hail of automated fire.

I would watch my surroundings, looking for the places where my turrets might be hidden.

Most elaborate of all was the defenses to my bedroom, which would change every now and then. Hordes would attack, only to be pulled this way and that into a salvo or turret, trying to negotiate a maze of overlapping fields of fire.

And when all their plans had come to naught, I would also get the girl. Sometimes specific girls I went to school with.

And that, my friends, is how I discovered how to play with my... imagination.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    when i was a little kid i was terrified that someday i would turn into a pig

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I just like to remind you that you built me without working genitals. thanks, dick

Just because they don't work in the traditional manner doesn't mean they don't work.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    like a literal Sus Domestica

terrified

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I imagined I was a robot for a good year or so, always thinking stuff like "robot commands" of what I'd be doing..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    and now I am called autono-wally, erotibot300
    beep bop brzzt squee

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg