As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Imports!

WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
tom_cruise_val_kilmer_top_gun_locker_room.jpg
Pop quiz, hotshot.

You have a craving to burn money, but no time to burn it in. You gotta act fast. Play-Asia sits before you.

What're ya gonna do?

I have until the 1st to burn a couple of coupon codes at play-asia, which were given unto to me by the generous soul of YesNoMu(many thanks). Anyway, one of them will go toward a pretty enamel blue Lite. The other one...your call. I'm thinking about getting Jump Ultimate Stars, but I don't know a lick of the native lingo. Am I to understand that there are actually DS Games in Japan made specifically to learn me in Kanji? Any recommendations as far as that goes?

So yeah, topic is anything DS Lite related from Play Asia that I should spend money on. Try to keep the Ouendan suggestions to a minimum.

858213-butcher-2.jpg
Woodroez on

• Options
    IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Since Ouendan and Jump Ultimate Stars were mentioned in your post. I'm going to recommend an old (read: JP launch) game to import:

Band Brothers

Ichnob on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I wouldn't recommend the kanji-learning games - they are for Japanese people. Kanji Sonomama no Jiten is a good dictionary.

If you wanna learn Kanji, get a dictionary and just play RPGs or other text-heavy games. Playing Final Fantasy in Japanese has helped me a lot

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There's Bleach DS 2, iirc. And the new Pheonix Wright, i think.. although isn't PW2 coming out in NA soon?

You could also import the web browser if you wanted.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    slash000 wrote:
    There's Bleach DS 2, iirc. And the new Pheonix Wright, i think.. although isn't PW2 coming out in NA soon?

Yeah, PW2 is coming out, but I forget when. I think it's slated for Spring 2007, so here's hoping around March.

Ichnob on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    PW2 has an English option in the Japanese version

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    poshniallo wrote:
    PW2 has an English option in the Japanese version
    I would like Capcom to bring the other Gyakuten Saiban games to North America though.

Ichnob on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

Yeah, PW2 is coming out, but I forget when. I think it's slated for Spring 2007, so here's hoping around March.
    January 16th. Two and a half weeks.

Just wait. The American version needs all the support it can get. There is absolutely no reason to import now.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Ichnob wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

Just wait. The American version needs all the support it can get. There is absolutely no reason to import now.
    Man, I was totally wrong on PW2's release date. I didn't realize it was coming out that soon. I wonder if Capcom will be doing another limited bonus run on their website?

Ichnob on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bleach 2 doesn't come out until February though and he wants to use the coupons before the 1st. Because 2 will be out soon I wouldn't get the first bleach game. I'd say go with JUS. There's a translation guide for the missions on gamefaqs and even then, you don't really need it until the very end when you start getting missions like "Have exactly 14 helpers in your deck".

Gilder on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jump Ultimate Stars
    Screen Protectors
    I suggest this case. It's what I've been using, it's extremely nice.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Daigasso! Band Brothers is great. I recommend it fully.

Taya on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought DS Guitar M-06 a few days ago. It should get to me after new years.

Here's videos: http://www.dsguitar.jp/movie_list.html

ze swift class on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Related question: Does the web browser suck, or is it worth it? I've been thinking about getting it and a US release seems unlikely.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I'm hoping the US gets the browser...

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Daigaso! sounds interesting. I'll be looking at this one, for sure.

Am I to understand then that, past Jump, the U.S. gets most of the (quality) Japanese games?

Are all screen protectors created equal? I will most likely get Hori's Liquid Crystal Filter, since it's sounds fancy.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Woodroez wrote:
    Are all screen protectors created equal? I will most likely get Hori's Liquid Crystal Filter, since it's sounds fancy.

Screen protectors are not created equal, and Hori's screen protectors are the only ones that don't void your warranty.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Ichnob wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

Man, I was totally wrong on PW2's release date. I didn't realize it was coming out that soon. I wonder if Capcom will be doing another limited bonus run on their website?

Pre-order bonus is a stylus with attached polishing cloth. The stylus point is actually Phoenix' hand pointing. ;)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Ichnob wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Ichnob wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

Pre-order bonus is a stylus with attached polishing cloth. The stylus point is actually Phoenix' hand pointing. ;)
    FUCK!

On one hand, I don't mind pre-ordering to get a bonus. But on the other, it's pre-ordering from EBStop, which robbed me of my Castlevania: PoR bonus last time.

DECISIONS!

Ichnob on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nobody brought up the fact that the phrase "Pop quiz, hotshot!" is from the movie Speed, not Top Gun?

Renzo on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Nobody brought up the fact that the phrase "Pop quiz, hotshot!" is from the movie Speed, not Top Gun?

I thought top gun had it too?

ze swift class on
  • Options
    mikecantypemikecantype Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Woodroez wrote:
    Am I to understand then that, past Jump, the U.S. gets most of the (quality) Japanese games?
    Well (quality) import friendly wise then it would be Jump Ultimate Stars (X times better than the first - Super Stars), Bleach (just wait for the sequel here) and Ouendan. There are other quality (or quality looking - seeing as I haven't played them) games such as the newly released Dragon Quest Monster Joker and that Chocobo picture book (the actual name of the game escapes me) look grand but are probably very Japanese heavy. There's also that Tingle game if you're into that.

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:

So did I. I just lost the game of Life.

I've worked up a list of sorts of potential purchases...thus far, I have:
      Jump Ultimate Stars Winning Eleven DS (on sale - 19.99usd!) Daigasso! Band Brothers Hori Liquid Crystal Filter Hard Pouch DS Lite (blue, the only color they have, is the one I want.) Comfortable Touch Pen DS Lite, from Hori

Thoughts on the touch pen? Is there anything better, terms of stylii...I'm looking for something close to the size of a pencil or Bic pen, maybe with rubber grips; nothing like those really fat grip pens.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Woodroez wrote:
    Thoughts on the touch pen? Is there anything better, terms of stylii...I'm looking for something close to the size of a pencil or Bic pen, maybe with rubber grips; nothing like those really fat grip pens.

The Comfortable Touch Pen is the best stylus I have ever used. It is about as long as the DS is wide, and it is fairly thick for a stylus (but nowhere near as thick as a pen).

It comes with a holder that can be attached to the back of the DS (but I just keep the holder in my Hori Hard Pouch, above the game pockets).

It doesn't have rubber grips (it is all plastic), but it really is pretty nice to hold. I couldn't imagine playing Ouendan without it.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    GOD.

simcitydsbox.jpg

WANT!

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:

I thought it was "Pop quiz, asshole!"

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    GOD.

simcitydsbox.jpg

WANT!

WAIT. WHAT?

Is that Sim City DS?

Is that ever going to come to the US?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    poshniallo wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend the kanji-learning games - they are for Japanese people. Kanji Sonomama no Jiten is a good dictionary.

If you wanna learn Kanji, get a dictionary and just play RPGs or other text-heavy games. Playing Final Fantasy in Japanese has helped me a lot

Yeah, after taking a full semester of Japanese 101 and acing it I was talking to a Japanese friend of mine about that kanji-game for the DS. Even after that he said I had nowhere near the skills to really make any sense of that game, and to wait till I get another semester or so under my belt.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Yeah, after taking a full semester of Japanese 101 and acing it I was talking to a Japanese friend of mine about that kanji-game for the DS. Even after that he said I had nowhere near the skills to really make any sense of that game, and to wait till I get another semester or so under my belt.
    He was honest? A japanese person was bluntly honest? Oh God the world is ending.

Renzo on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    GOD.

simcitydsbox.jpg

WANT!

WAIT. WHAT?

Is that Sim City DS?

It clearly says Shim Shitty DS.

Want!

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

He was honest? A japanese person was bluntly honest? Oh God the world is ending.

Oh don't worry. He was a born and raised in America but still fluent in Japanese cause his parents speak it and home Japanese guy. So he's allowed to be bluntly honest.

Don't worry though, my Japanese Teacher, who was born and raised in Japan. Was never bluntly honest. That's how I knew she was legit. :lol:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Oh don't worry. He was a born and raised in America but still fluent in Japanese cause his parents speak it and home Japanese guy. So he's allowed to be bluntly honest.

Don't worry though, my Japanese Teacher, who was born and raised in Japan. Was never bluntly honest. That's how I knew she was legit. :lol:
    Oh okay. I really was kind of blown away that this Japanese guy was all honest. But he's not Japanese, so no big deal.

DS imports? I imported Children of Mana when it was $20. It wasn't any good in Japanese, and it's not good in English either.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    GOD.

simcitydsbox.jpg

WANT!

WAIT. WHAT?

Is that Sim City DS?

It clearly says Shim Shitty DS.

Want!

http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12600

(via http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/simcity/will-wright-in-your-pocket-224762.php )

Marlor on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There's a Sim City DS??? Localize that shit immediately.

Also, there's a Winning Eleven DS? That actually sounds tempting... anybody know if it's playable at all for a total gaijin?

And as for the person who asked about the DS web browser: don't hold your breath. I read an article about it, and it looks like a waste of time. There were pictures, and it wasn't too pretty.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    There's a Sim City DS??? Localize that shit immediately.

Also, there's a Winning Eleven DS? That actually sounds tempting... anybody know if it's playable at all for a total gaijin?

And as for the person who asked about the DS web browser: don't hold your breath. I read an article about it, and it looks like a waste of time. There were pictures, and it wasn't too pretty.

But it is SOOOO much easier to hide a DS in class as opposed to a laptop. That way I can wikipedia anything the teacher asks and seem super smart! Actually, I think it would just be fun to dick around with.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:

I don't think that honest is the right word there. Most Japanese people I know are honest... it's just that they hide their honesty behind impenetrable layers of politeness.

They are, by-and-large, natural-born diplomats (or bureaucrats).

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Marlor wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

I don't think that honest is the right word there. Most Japanese people I know are honest... it's just that they hide their honesty behind impenetrable layers of politeness.

They are, by-and-large, natural-born diplomats (or bureaucrats).
    I was just making a joke. Please don't take any of that seriously.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

But it is SOOOO much easier to hide a DS in class as opposed to a laptop. That way I can wikipedia anything the teacher asks and seem super smart! Actually, I think it would just be fun to dick around with.
    From the pictures in the article I read, the fact that the page scrolls between both screens looked like it would infuriate me.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    I was just making a joke. Please don't take any of that seriously.

I sort of guessed that, it's just that it really is a stereotype that a lot of people believe, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

From the pictures in the article I read, the fact that the page scrolls between both screens looked like it would infuriate me.

Mobile browsers always have issues. I expected that my PDA would be great for browsing, but it really is an uncomfortable experience.

Even the Wii browser isn't great.

If websites actually used HTML as intended, then things would be better, but most designers try to use HTML as a presentation language, when it was never intended to specify the exact layout of pages. It was originally only intended to specify the general markup (which can then be interpreted and displayed by the browser in a flexible fashion).

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Captain K wrote:

Don't be afraid people the gameplay in this version is rock solid it has the same addictive quality of the other Pro Evo's I haven't played gears of war or guitar heroes in 3 days cos i keep having 'one more game' of this. Don't worry about language I cant speak a word of Japanese but can get around the menus etc without a guide. PLAY ASIA ROCKS!!!!!

Link to P-A's Winning Eleven page.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg