As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like Comics, Except The Pictures Move: Movies, Games, and Television

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Remember when that Adam Knight dude appeared on Smallville? I really wish he'd turned out to be Bruce Wayne, as rumored, and then spun off into a Young Batman series. A series about Bruce Wayna traveling the globe, collecting, skills, and stopping normal human criminals would be fantastic and less dependent on hokey costumes and special effects.

It also helps that, unlike Superman, Batman's life prior to becoming Batman isn't well-covered. There'd be a lot more creative freedom for the writers, and you can have cast members come and go without crippling the show, as was the case when Lex Luthor left Smallville.

They will have him run into Catwoman and Joker and then Bane will break his back and then he'll adopt a runaway named Dick Grayson and then another one named Jason Todd and then start up a gang called the outsiders and live in a satellite. All before he gets to Gotham.

Lux on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kinda feel bad for the Smallville writers. All they can do is have Clark constantly spin his wheels, since there's nothing left to do with him except make him into Superman. Of course they can't do that till the very end, so nothing ever happens.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like how they're introducing non-Superman based characters, like Green Arrow and Black Canary. My wife absolutely loves Green Arrow (it got her to read Winick's run on Green Arrow in trade). I like how they don't all just get together and form the justice league; there's a lot of false starts and egos clashing. And things don't always work out how you'd expect, like Green Arrow actually kills Lex Luthor (though I think eventually it'll be revealed he really didn't).

Season 8 was interesting because you had Clark constantly being pressured by EVERYONE around him to kill as this easy way out, and he is the only one digging in his heels and saying no. Season 7 was prety wacky I thought, but Season 8 got things back on track. I'm looking forward to the mass fan boy service that is Season 9 (e.g. Hawkman with wings, JSA cameos, etc)

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I stopped watching this season, but I caught the JSA episode, and it was pretty great.

The thing from last season with everyone telling Clark to kill Doomsday, and then Green Arrow going behind Clark's back to do it, could have all been avoided. Clark could have just said, "Hey guys, I tried killing him before, and it doesn't work."

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I heard this on the radio but apparently in Iron Man 2 the "teaser" at the end will have
    Captain America and Thor

in it.

edit: here's something from Super Hero Hype

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I heard this on the radio but apparently in Iron Man 2 the "teaser" at the end will have
    Captain America and Thor

in it.

Its going to be hastily filmed, its out soon and they only just cast him.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So what it sounds like everyone disliked about Kick-Ass is completly done right in Defendor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do7ur4ji7r8
    Actually just watched this yesterday night. Really well done i thought. Woody Harrelson was great in it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saw that trailer a while ago, it really looks great.

Solar on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Captain America and Thor

in it.

Its going to be hastily filmed, its out soon and they only just cast Cap.

They don't have to show his face. Actually, I bet it will be finding Cap in the ice.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well gee, that doesn't give away what the spoiler tag up there says at all.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Captain America and Thor

in it.

Its going to be hastily filmed, its out soon and they only just cast Cap.

They don't have to show his face. Actually, I bet it will be finding Cap in the ice.
    Except if I'm not mistaken they threw that in another movie.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Captain America and Thor

in it.

Its going to be hastily filmed if thats true or not the guy they cast

They don't have to show his face.

Well gee, that doesn't give away what the spoiler tag up there says at all.

Its a rumour but its not like it'd be a huge twist and that suggestion before about how he'd appear is more like.y But I will go and erase it from my post, youll have to erase it from your own.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Months ago there was a screencap of (supposedly) the actor playing Thor getting his mugshot taken in the background when Tony goes to see Whiplash in prison.

Very Ultimates-like if that's true.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's been a screencap of (supposedly) the actor playing Thor getting his mugshot taken in the prison where Whiplash is for months.
    That definitely wasn't Chris Hemsworth.

Saph on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was a bullshit thing from the blurry background of a trailer.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bunch if Iron Man stills.

Spoilers obviously
    20qcm5s.jpg
    34hwhf5.jpg
    2dvija1.jpg
    dqj9k7.jpg
    2j0e6bm.jpg
    ipzh3n.jpg
    30ijotu.jpg
    2cyig61.jpg
    k1bciu.jpg
    34o347t.jpg
    nov6n7.jpg
    elbmzl.jpg
    11j4yuw.jpg
    2d3sdl.jpg
    6yywlv.jpg
    2exwmza.jpg
    250ph13.jpg
    23uanlu.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i like war machines armor a lot.

looking good.

Angry on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've kept myself in almost total media blackout regarding the plot of Iron Man 2

So a lot of those stills are very confusing to me.

Still, should be interesting.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope his suit has a "sun glasses" slot/holster ala robocops pistol hip holster.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sooo the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 trailer was up.

And then it was down.

Confirmed in the trailer: Wolverine, Ryu, Iron Man, Morrigan, Hulk, Chris Redfield

Also fun MYSTERY SHADOWS

w6tk3k.jpg
    Dante, Chun Li, ???, Frank West, Viewtiful Joe

23uq4cj.jpg
    Captain America (Bucky), Thor, Deadpool, Wolverine, ???

Furu on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    that Wolverine shadow looks like it could be Hawkeye

edit: also how the hell is that Thor? looks more like a hooded character like Moon Knight or Taskmaster

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am going to guess Dr. Doom, just because he's the only major hooded character I can think of right now, and they need someone to represent villains for Marvel, right?

The last guy ... Dr. Strange? Guessing from the collar.

Lux on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Deadpool with the sword. Calling it now.

Solar on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think you'll find it's already been called.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man oh man oh man oh man

SO AWESOME

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gotta say thats a pretty weak trailer. The preview stuff from months ago made it more enticing than that, showing random guy with laser eyes is not the way to sell a film.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Sooo the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 trailer was up.

And then it was down.

Trailer is back up: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/captivate-10-marvel-vs/64605

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It looks like Amazo is the robot with the laser eyes. If it is him, then what the hell...

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Huh, seems they re-adjusted the box office last week and now Kick-Ass is the number 1 movie in the country. That's cool I guess but I hope it doesn't drop too far down this week.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Huh, seems they re-adjusted the box office last week and now Kick-Ass is the number 1 movie in the country. That's cool I guess but I hope it doesn't drop too far down this week.

It's a Rated R movie titled Kick-Ass, without recognizable characters - it was never going to be a huge blockbuster.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It looks like Amazo is the robot with the laser eyes. If it is him, then what the hell...

Amazo sounds like you're typical fighting game end boss to me.

Hensler on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

It's a Rated R movie titled Kick-Ass, without recognizable characters - it was never going to be a huge blockbuster.

Which is why I'm glad they kept the production budget down to such a low amount.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Walking Dead:
    On Friday, April 16, the Dallas Film Society presented Frank Darabont with a Star Award for his considerable body of work, which includes The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist among other screenwriting and directing projects. Earlier that day, FEARnet sat down with Darabont to talk about the honor of receiving the award, what it means to reflect personally and professionally on his body of work, and what’s in store for horror fans as he moves into production on The Walking Dead, a forthcoming television series based on Robert Kirkman’s graphic novel series about zombies for which Darabont has already been commissioned by AMC to produce six episodes.Late Friday we posted the exclusive casting news he shared with us. Here's the rest of our interview.

FEARnet: What did they tell you when they invited you out to give you this award?

Frank Darabont: Come out, we’ll give you an award – we want to give you this nice award to honor you and your work. I said okay, why not? There’s nothing to complain about there. I kind of wondered why I was chosen, or asked to be the guy for this, but what the heck? Do not look a gift horse in the mouth. Just thank the horse.

Do you see threads that run through your work, either when you’re doing films, or in retrospect? For example, notwithstanding the choice of doing multiple Stephen King adaptations, you did A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 early in your career, and then did The Mist later on? Does it occur to you at any level that you do or don’t gravitate towards material that could be similar in concept or theme to what you’ve already done?

As a writer and as a filmmaker, you do find yourself drawn to themes that are consistent. There’s a certain resonance throughout the work that I’ve found you’re not even really aware of until afterwards – hindsight being the perfect tool, of course. You look back and go, oh, wow, there is a commonality between Shawshank Redemption and The Majestic; there’s a commonality between The Green Mile and The Mist. The specifics are quite different, but sort of the underlying themes – I mean, The Mist is sort of the anti-Shawshank, isn’t it, in that it’s examining hopelessness instead of hope, you know? It’s more condemning human nature than praising it, and yet it pivots on the same fulcrum.

And in a sense, it’s also a prison movie – people are trapped in a supermarket and trying out what to make of their lives. In a way The Majestic is a prison movie too – there’s no prison in it at all, but it’s a guy trapped in his life that is like a prison to him, and given an opportunity to step out of the gate and be his better self. So you do find these themes that do recur in you work, but only after the fact. One of these days I’d like to do something that’s completely different from those.

When I spoke to you about The Green Mile coming out on DVD a few years ago, you talked about the frustrating experience of writing the Indiana Jones script. Talking about the idea of recognizing themes and inspirations in retrospect, do you feel that The Mist was perhaps some exploration of that frustration with Indiana Jones as it related to a sense of hopelessness?

I think The Mist was really my exploration of my frustration with the 21st century thus far, and where the hopelessness and divisiveness that human beings seem to be embracing and which indeed this country seems to be embracing, which I find heartbreaking because I’ve always loved this country. That was really much more of a political film than my personal bitchfest about things in my career that haven’t gone right. But I think the Indiana Jones situation was simply one of those experiences where… hey, there’s a great line in Reservoir Dogs where Steve Buscemi says “some guys are lucky, and some ain’t,” and that’s true of everybody and their careers as well. You never know going in whether something is going to land with a hollow thud or land with grace and beauty, or not land at all. We all weather these peaks and valleys, and I hope to weather my successes and failures with equal grace.

Could you talk about The Walking Dead a little bit? Zombieland came out last year-

A great movie.

It was a great movie, but originally it was supposed to be a TV series. Do you feel emboldened by the success of that film, or does that fact that it was considered better-suited for film prove intimidating?

It’s going to be a very different animal, it really is, so Zombieland, as much as I do love it, because boy is it a great comedy, and I laughed my ass off, it’s more in the world of Shaun of the Dead, another of my favorite movies, that is in the kind of world that we’re going to be trying to create. Robert Kirkman’s comic book series, the graphic novel series, is very much a template for us, and it’s a tremendous opportunity to take the subject as serious as possible, and really as a long-term exploration of characters, which is what television does best when television is really working. That’s our goal, so gosh, I really don’t think that Zombieland is any competition for us nor are we for them.
    It’s really going to be I think two different animals. We’re much more beholden to Kirkman, which is a comfortable place to be because he has blazed a fantastic trail for us to follow. We will take detours along that path – we will take steps off the trail – but always wind up veering back onto the trail that Robert provides for us, because it’s fantastic stuff.

Does that source material provide you with a pretty complete template for the rules of that world? Because notwithstanding Zombieland last year, of course there’s a great legacy of zombie films.

Okay, that’s the intimidating part (laughs). Because that actually proves to be actually a deep pool of very, very good stuff. Boy, there’s a lot of good stuff that’s been done. You see all of these home runs along the way and you go, how will I do? I don’t want to posit ourselves as being competition for any of those films, but I hope that we’ll be considered at least in the category of that good stuff as we go along – that it was worthy stuff to do. And I think Robert has given us a tremendous leg up, a head start in that sense.

Have you thought about what sort of platform will be required to execute these stories as the show progresses? Network broadcasts might limit what you could do in terms of gore, but cable channels like HBO would give you greater latitude.

I think there’s going to be obviously an ongoing dialogue with standards and practices, but I think we have a friendly venue in AMC, if you see the kind of edgy stuff that Breaking Bad is doing, which I adore, by the way. I don’t think we’re going to be lacking for adult content or the ability to depict the world that we’re depicting. I don’t think we’re going to have that many constraints, and if there are they’ll be in minor increments that will not affect the storytelling that we’re doing. It will just give us an opportunity to maybe do an enhanced cut on DVD or something, but I really don’t think we’ll be constrained too far. I’m certainly not getting the sense that AMC is there to interfere; they are a fantastic group of folks, and they’re very excited about this. They really want to enable rather than hinder this process.

Is that what’s immediately next on your slate?

Mmm-hmm. Oh yeah, hell, I just got off the plane from Atlanta where we’re scouting. We’re in prep right now, we’re casting, and we’re shooting the first of six episodes in June, the top of June. So we’re what, seven weeks out now?

How many of the cast and crew people are assembled at this point?

We are right now looking to cast the two female roles in the ensemble. We’ve also just gotten Jeff DeMunn; I’ve always said Jeff DeMunn is my good luck charm, and I can’t make a film without him. We’ve just gotten him on board as one of the ensemble members, which is a great joy for me. One of the great pleasures of doing anything is to be able to reconvene with those colleagues who have the talent and provide you with the comfort zone of great collaborative, positive energy. Not to sound like Andy Hardy here, but if you’re going to go do a show in a barn, do it with people who have really got the talent and are great to work with, and so far that’s all coming together. Not just in the cast end, but on the crew end. I’m working with people I really value and really treasure. And it may not mean anything to the general public, but to have my first A.D. K.C. Colwell on this means the world to me. To have my production designer Greg Melton on this means the world to me. I’m going to get to work with David Tattersall again, and he’s going to shoot the pilot for me. I haven’t had the chance to work with him since The Majestic, so it’s been about ten years, and he is one of the great gentlemen in his line of work, and one of the great talents. All of these people are. So I’m very lucky that way, and these are people that will have your back. They will go the extra mile.

Does David’s participation mean that you’re planning to shoot it digitally?

No! Actually we’re not going to shoot it digitally. We’re going to go old-school – we’re going to go film. I tested all of the different camera systems that are available at the moment because I was very keen actually on trying out the digital approach, and then I realized that I was really going to shoot myself in the foot because I did, simply because the nature of this particular show [made me consider] you want what you’re shooting on to help the make-up instead of hurt the make-up – let’s start there. Hi-def is a little merciless when it comes to these things, so we’re shooting on film. This is going to be a show where people are hiding places and looking out windows and doors and stuff; well, if what’s outside that door is completely blown-out, nuclear white because digital doesn’t have the latitude that film does, you’d better shoot on film because you want whatever is outside to look like outside. You want to see walls and trees, and even if it’s overexposed, there’s a sense of reality to it. if you’re shooting digitally and you point at the door and all there is is white, you might as well shoot on a sound stage and hang a white silk out there. By necessity, you pick the thing that you think will help the show the best, and yeah – we’re going to be shooting old school.
    #

Iron Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_AtGQkAqQ&feature=player_embedded

And an Iron Man Villains video, cant embed it myself, dunno if anyone knows how.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/04/86068/index.html

There was also a series of Heather Graham topless pics from the same source but I won't post them...but they're soooooo good.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Amazo is a DC character, so it can't be him.

I like what I see, and if they go back to a 4 button layout like MvC2 I'll have to figure out a way to splice a Dreamcast controller to work with the 360 because I destroyed with the DC pad.

And Ken better be in the game and not pull a MvC1.

I'm pretty pumped for the game though.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1271862822217.jpg
    Young Justice: In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice—Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics. Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman Doomsday, The Batman) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H.) are the producers.
    http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/33313/toonzone-at-the-cartoon-network-2010-upfront-updated-1145-am

I love how Arrowette's logo pretty much says, "Hey, my eyes are up here."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    For the Amazo Thing, I was talking about the Under the Red Hood Trailer.

Alright, that poster looks good. Robin being in there took me for surprise, I thought they said Nightwing will be in this series. Having Greg Weisman involved in this gives me hope that it will be good.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1271862822217.jpg
    Young Justice: In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice—Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics. Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman Doomsday, The Batman) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H.) are the producers.
    http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/33313/toonzone-at-the-cartoon-network-2010-upfront-updated-1145-am

I love how Arrowette's logo pretty much says, "Hey, my eyes are up here."

Kinda looks like Superboy is going to be the central character. And I sorta don't like(and this just might be weird angles) how Robin looks smaller than everyone else.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    More animated DC is always good.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Martian Manhunter got a sex change?

Kyougu on