As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like Comics, Except The Pictures Move: Movies, Games, and Television

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Servo wrote: »
    here's the thing- yes, the "team of badasses" story is basically its own action sub-genre. the losers comic is that, done really well. it's like an A-grade b-action movie, if that makes sense.

sorry Servo, nothing that bears any resemblance to any other thing can ever be good

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    unfortunate timing, Bale

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TLB, did you know there is an Expendables tie in comic?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tell me Liefield is drawing it

Wildcat on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bras and Braselles, The Losers is totally streets behind.

I saw it this afternoon, and the theater was only 1/3 full at most. While Servo's description is pretty much exactly what the Losers is in comics and it works, on screen it doesn't translate well. Aisha is latino now for some reason (what, we can't have a crazy muslim woman killer these days?), some of the sets looked cheap, and the dude playing Max didn't feel as menacing/mysterious as he should have for such an important role (he never got across the Max is totally fucking crazy bit). I even admit to nodding off a bit around the beginning in Houston, though I admit this might have been due to playing tennis in the morning and not the movie. The girlfriend, who enjoyed Kick Ass last week, thought that the comic they based it off of must have been pretty bad for the movie to turn out like that, and I can get where she's coming from in thinking that.

It's average at best, Chris Evans is the only standout person though Jensen seems more capable in the film as a result.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Bras and Braselles, The Losers is totally streets behind.

I saw it this afternoon, and the theater was only 1/3 full at most. While Servo's description is pretty much exactly what the Losers is in comics and it works, on screen it doesn't translate well. Aisha is latino now for some reason (what, we can't have a crazy muslim woman killer these days?), some of the sets looked cheap, and the dude playing Max didn't feel as menacing/mysterious as he should have for such an important role (he never got across the Max is totally fucking crazy bit). I even admit to nodding off a bit around the beginning in Houston, though I admit this might have been due to playing tennis in the morning and not the movie. The girlfriend, who enjoyed Kick Ass last week, thought that the comic they based it off of must have been pretty bad for the movie to turn out like that, and I can get where she's coming from in thinking that.

It's average at best, Chris Evans is the only standout person though Jensen seems more capable in the film as a result.

Aww man, well thats crossed off my pay to see list.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I'm going to skip the Losers and see Kick-Ass at least one more time. Then it's Iron Man 2 baby.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to skip the Losers and see Kick-Ass at least one more time. Then it's Iron Man 2 baby.

Do me a favour when you go again. Rub...rub the screen with my penis. It's being shipped to you by next-day delivery as we speak.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, the Losers was about as good as I expected it to be, which wasn't very much. But on the upside there were some good scenes and performances (mainly by Chris Evans, which surprised me). Everything else was just a combination of one-liners and one-dimensional character development. The main reason I went to see this movie was to gauge Evans' propensity to carry a role, which he did adequately considering what he had to work with. I wish I had more movies I could study, with him in it, to better gauge his acumen in a serious role.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, the Losers was actually pretty great.

And the Expendables will be pretty great.

And then the A-Team will be pretty great. And then I've have a triple-feature showing and it will be the best ever.

But yeah, it was a run of the mill "Team of Badasses Movie", but Chris Evans was good comic relief, and the villain dude was hilariously over-the-top mean to everyone in petty and terrible ways. He basically wore a sign that said "this man is as bad... as the heroes are good." I would honestly recommend it, even though I was incredibly cagey going in.

Also! A man in the theater told me to "CUT THIS MOTHERFUCKING BULLSHIT OUT I'M TIRED OF IT GODDAMN IT" and called the manager, because I was laughing? It's... it's actually a funny movie. I don't really understand how he could not laugh, but I realized his whole crowd was silent during the funny bits. So that was weird.

It did make me happy, though, that my girlfriend asked him if he "wanted to take this outside motherfucker!"

The worst part is after he yelled at me, a comically over the top action climax occurred, and I resorted to just smiling widely.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw Kick-Ass and the Losers today and liked the Losers a lot better, but during Kick-Ass I was distracted because I'm pretty sure there was a topless Mara Jade drawing on Dave's wall.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie quite well. It's just those over-the-top moments were actually pretty frequent and the villain just seemed . . . well, unnecessarily evil.
    I mean Christ, who shoots their assistant because she doesn't keep the sun out of his eyes at all time when the wind blows the umbrella she's carrying slighty? He was wearing sunglasses!

It was just too much of a "we have to get the audience to hate the bad guy" type of thing. He was a cheap villain, but at times the character just worked. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like the entire movie alternated from being terrible at times, to really good at others. I am confuse.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You know who Max really reminded me of? The bad guy from the first Transporter movie.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish I had more movies I could study, with him in it, to better gauge his acumen in a serious role.

Street Kings, mate.

Hensler on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is anyone taking bets that Mickey Rouke or RDJ dies before Iron Man 2 comes out, thus beginning the comic book sequel curse.

See also, The Dark Knight.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Its not a curse when it happens once. It also happenedmonths before.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Losers was a loser

5th place, only $9.3 million. Show's over, motherfuckers

Comic movies have been in a slump since Wolverine Origins it seems. Solution: Deadpool in everything. Deadpool in Back-Up plan, Deadpool in the Last Song, Deadpool in a pool.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, the Losers was about as good as I expected it to be, which wasn't very much. But on the upside there were some good scenes and performances (mainly by Chris Evans, which surprised me). Everything else was just a combination of one-liners and one-dimensional character development. The main reason I went to see this movie was to gauge Evans' propensity to carry a role, which he did adequately considering what he had to work with. I wish I had more movies I could study, with him in it, to better gauge his acumen in a serious role.

Sunshine_poster.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    doggs ain't know nothin' about The Losers

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Losers was a loser

Comic movies have been in a slump since Wolverine Origins it seems. Solution: Deadpool in everything. Deadpool in Back-Up plan, Deadpool in the Last Song, Deadpool in a pool.

I dont think most people know of it as a comic book movie.

It seems more than theres 3 team-action movies this year and maybe it really isnt what the people want right now.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    doggs ain't know nothin' about The Losers

doggs would rather see Jennifer Lopez than Jeffrey Dean Morgan, think about that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    doggs clearly ain't got no taste

jeffrey dean morgan is a stone cold rad machine

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Losers was a loser

It seems more than theres 3 team-action movies this year and maybe it really isnt what the people want right now.

When The Rock can make more bank doing kids films than action films, you know modern audiences don't really care about the genre anymore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie quite well. It's just those over-the-top moments were actually pretty frequent and the villain just seemed . . . well, unnecessarily evil.

that was the point

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Losers was a loser

When The Rock can make more bank doing kids films than action films, you know modern audiences don't really care about the genre anymore.

It's because 90% of males are beta males these days what the hell.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The failure of the film is Marketing, I think 90 percent of people thought of this movie as "The A Team" rip off with the guy from the Wire. And a smaller budget.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    robos don't you dare say that about action movies

don't you dare

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    The failure of the film is Marketing, I think 90 percent of people thought of this movie as "The A Team" rip off with the guy from the Wire. And a smaller budget.
    I agree. If I didn't know about the comic, all I'd know about The Losers is that there's a team of guys that are blowing stuff up, a guy describes himself as Blackguyver, and at one point Chris Evans pretends to shoot people with his fingers.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At least Kick-Ass made it's budget back.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Which they yanked from Crank.
    The comic did it before Crank.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ah.

Well when I was in the theater some guy behind me was shitting all over the trailer and mentioned that particular nugget.

Is the comic any good? Is there a specific hook or something that draws folks in?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jock's artwork is a pretty great hook

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Losers looks so bad I don't think I'll see it even on Netflix.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're a bad person with terrible opinions.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MrTowelMrTowel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked the Losers sponsorship the announcer put in the hockey game I watched today.

"Well, if they lose, the series is over. Speaking of losers, The Losers, now in theaters."

MrTowel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

that was the point

I know, but at a certain point it's just like they're trying too hard.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

that was the point

I know, but at a certain point it's just like they're trying too hard.

Then it loops around back to awesome. I just loved that in addition to you know random murder, he also just seemed like a huge pain in the neck to work for.

But seriously, TLB is streets ahead, the Losers/Expendables/A-Team trilogy this year is the best thing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    what the fuck is "streets ahead" and why is every suddenly saying it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you don't know then you're streets behind.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
This discussion has been closed.