As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking Jails with your iPhone / iPod Touch

MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
iPhones are awesome! You can do all kinds of cool things, except say...run Pandora while in another app, or have your background show on your actual desktop, or set up folders for your applications. Yeah...it sure would be great if there was a way to enable or add these nifty features in...

Oh...right...

Jailbreaking!
IMG_0027.PNG

Well, what is it?

Jailbreaking your iPhone (or iPod Touch) allows for all these fun tweaks and more! It can be a fairly easy process and if your smart about it, can have very little to no negative impact on your phone's performance. Basically Jailbreaking your phone opens it up to download apps that Apple would never allow on its store front, more often than not because the app modifies the core operations of the phone or wants access to hardware in such a way that Apple has not deemed OK for their user base.

Huh, so do I need to muck around wtih the file system on the device?
Mostly, no. Once your phone is Jailbroken, it installs a little program called Cydia on your device. Cydia is like the Jailbreak App Store, it also manages your update and removal for any apps downloaded through it. When you first load Cydia up it has a default list of repositories for apps as well as a list of highly suggested apps. There are paid apps as well, such as the 3G Unlocker tool.

Here are some really awesome free apps that add all kinds of functionality to your phone...
Spoilered for Crazy V Scroll
Backgrounder
screenshot-01.png
Allows you to set up programs that can run in the background on your phone. For example, leave Pandora running while you type up notes or write emails.

SBSettings
sbsettings091b8.jpg
With a simple swipe across your top bar you can, at almost any time, have access to quickly disable/enable most functions of the phone without having to open up your settings applet. Need to disable 3G on the fliy, swipe and hit a button, then jump back to your program right then.

Categories
iPhone-Application-Categories-1.jpg
Lets you take your apps and sort them into folders. Fantastic for turning the 20 pages of apps into one page of managed folders. Supports folders inside of folders too for extra room for customization.

Winterboard
69871d1218168051-winterboard-animated-sb-wallpapers-img.jpg
Winterboard lets you change just about everything in your interface. The options are fantastically varied from simple background changes to full out themes that replace everything and anything on your phone's interface.

More cool apps here...
http://thebigboss.org/why-jailbreak-iphone/

Wait! I don't want to turn my fancy iThing into a paperweight! Will this break my phone?!
Well, as long as you do your homework beforehand, you should be fine. I've run this on a few devices and have yet to do anything irreparable to them. Basically its just a software mod, so anything you do can be cleaned up by running a restore on your device through iTunes.

Awesome! So I can drop AT&T for someone else right?
Sort of, Jailbreaking is NOT unlocking. You have to unlock your phone after you jailbreak it. I won't go into that here because frankly put, I don't know anything about it really.

Will it work on my device?
As far as I know, iPhone 1G, 2G, 3G and 3GS are fully supported up to v3.1.2 iPod Touch 1G, 2G, and 3G are also fully supported.

Ok, great, so how do I do this to my phone?
There are a variety of methods, but they all revolve around the concept of taking your device firmware (an .ipsw file) and then running it through a program to patch the file. I'm not feeling up to writing a whole tutorial on this right offhand, so here are some handy howto links for your enjoyment.

Unlocking on a Mac using PwnageTool
Unlocking on PC using Blackra1n

A quick note, before you do ANY OF THIS. Sync and back up your phone with your iTunes. Don't come crying to me if something bad happens and you can't recover your pictures of your cat on a unicycle.

Also, very important, any pictures you post, Please list what apps you are running that are shown in the image!

Aprjs.png
sig.jpg
MeepZero on

• Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I did two breaks & unlocks back when the iPhone was new. It wasn't hard, the automated free tools did all the work, but there were multiple hiccups in the process that had me sweating I broke one for a while. It all turned out all right though, reading around I noticed it's virtually impossible to brick an iPhone by Jailbreaking, since you can always do a restore through iTunes. Not so much for unlocking though, I think it flashes some chip in the process and can mess it up if it is interrupted.

Oh by the way, back then, if you used certain ways to Jailbreak a phone it opened up a user account to get on the phone over SSH. This default account's details are widely known, so don't go walking around with SSH open and WiFi on (maybe also 3G?) or you could easily get hacked. There was a small app that has a switch to turn them on and off as needed, look for that. Thing probably work wildly different now, but it might be a thing to remember.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I just got a new 3GS 16GB on Tuesday, and it seems these cannot be jailbroken, as Apple did something to the new devices.

http://gizmodo.com/5381095/apples-shipping-jailbreak-resistant-iphone-3gs-units
    http://gizmodo.com/5382620/apples-jailbreak+proof-iphone-3gs-units-totally-arent

Mine is currently stuck in recovery mode as I tried restoring to a custom ipsw from the new PwnageTool. Its failed twice, going to try on another computer aswell.

Edit: Restoring on a computer that actually has usb 2.0 (yes my old as dirt desktop doesnt have usb 2.0) fixed the issue, but i'm still left jailbrokenless. Really would like to get gv mobile :(

Edit:Edit: Running blackra1n from my non-ancient computer resulted in the jailbreak. usb 1.0 for the fail.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've got a jailbroken & unlocked 32GB iPhone 3GS, and I couldn't possibly be happier. Backgrounder is the greatest thing in iPhone history. Backgrounder + Skype = OMG amazing.

I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet because if I lose the unlock, my iPhone would turn into an iPod Touch.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, that screenshot looks amazing. What theme/app(s) is that?

Also, in case anyone is wondering, jailbreaking allows an iphone/ipod touch with a broken home button to become fairly usable again! Of course, getting into DFU mode might be a bit tricky...(my home button acts as though it is constantly held down so that I can jailbreak at least)

Skye on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to jailbreak a bit but to be honest redownloading everything after every update is an awful lot of effort, and most of the features I enabled ended up being added with the 3.0 update.

Themes are nice and all but the performance hit with jailbreaking was a bit too much as well. Saying that I only have a 3G and 3GS I imagine would be able to run with only a marginal performance decrease.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FYI: The latest batch of 3GSes can't be broken yet (iBoot-359.3.2) :(

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have to jailbreak because you cant unlock without jail breaking so I can use SIM cards from other countries.

Last I checked, they were trying to determine if jail-breaking was legal in the US? Anyone hear about that?

lilB on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In terms of legality Apple says that it is in violation of the EULA. Which it is.

EULAs are non-binding however.

Software and hardware companies however are keeping up the stance that they are binding and scare people into believing it.

However if you do a system restore they can't tell it has been jail broken. (unlocking may be different)

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Blake T on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

Ahhhh

That makes it much better, I thought it had shut down the 24kpwn exploit completely.

As it is, who lets their battery actually run down completely? :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ahhhh

That makes it much better, I thought it had shut down the 24kpwn exploit completely.

As it is, who lets their battery actually run down completely? :P

Well apparently, according to Apple:
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Skye on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just recently jailbroke my 16GB 3GS, with the 3.1.2 firmware. Backgrounder is pretty amazing, especially when paired with Kirikae, which serves as an app switcher. Here's the current theme I'm running, although not all the icons currently match, but the creator and others have been working on creating more.
    Lock Screen (I can show/hide each category, and it can also display Mail, SMS, and Phone calls.)
    4015937576_7307f6b0e7.jpg

Home Screen
    4015938314_4239d61a46.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    What app is that for your lock screen, Smart Hero?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lockscreen Info, Lockscreen Clock Hide, and the 20 Second Lock Screen. The Winterboard theme is Gruppled Art and Gruppled LockInfo, with a few modifications to the config file.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I even added a pretty Charging Battery!

4016110016_2c5c378f8f.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I can't get Lockscreen Info to work. It's installed fine and I got Lockscreen Clock Hide, but I get nothing with Info installed and enabled. I restarted and all.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Settings for lockinfo are in the settings app. Also, do you have winterboard? You need to move lockinfo to the top.

Skye on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Winterboard makes my top bar (batt/signal) disappear when coming out of apps, locking/unlocking fixes it, but slightly annoying.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Skye wrote: »
    Wow, that screenshot looks amazing. What theme/app(s) is that?

Also, in case anyone is wondering, jailbreaking allows an iphone/ipod touch with a broken home button to become fairly usable again! Of course, getting into DFU mode might be a bit tricky...(my home button acts as though it is constantly held down so that I can jailbreak at least)

The very top one? Its a modified version of Whitoken called Aurora I think, you can download it from the guys page in the link or his Deviant Art page.

Its a really pretty theme but it tends to crash the UI more often than I prefer. It wouldn't be so bad but when the UI crashes it rearranges a bunch of the icons so you have to reorganize it all the time.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Lockscreen Info, Lockscreen Clock Hide, and the 20 Second Lock Screen. The Winterboard theme is Gruppled Art and Gruppled LockInfo, with a few modifications to the config file.

Thats weird, I can't pull those up in Cydia, is there a repo you need that isn't included with Cydia for it?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lockinfo doesn't show up in my winterboard prefs.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »

Thats weird, I can't pull those up in Cydia, is there a repo you need that isn't included with Cydia for it?

Yeah, I believe so, it's. . . http://david.ashman.com/beta/

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »

Yeah, I believe so, it's. . . http://david.ashman.com/beta/

403 Forbidden sir

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the link only works when you add it to cydia as a source.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Themes are nice and all but the performance hit with jailbreaking was a bit too much as well. Saying that I only have a 3G and 3GS I imagine would be able to run with only a marginal performance decrease.
    Yeah, performance might be more of an issue with the 3G. The 3GS is perfectly capable of running multiple apps at once and such, only downside is lesser battery life.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lockinfo doesn't show up in my winterboard prefs.

Sorry, I just checked and it was actually the theme that appears in winterboard. You can try grabbing:

Gruppled LockInfo (requires SSHing files to phone?)
    img0007.png

LockInfo Matte UI (just add the repo to cydia and download)
    29fdv9j.png

Skye on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How long should it take? I keep getting the usb > iTunes icon

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What method did you use to jailbreak? It sounds like your phone's been set into Recovery mode, after that you use iTunes to restore your phone (plug it in, then hold the Alt or Shift keys while clicking the Restore button) using your customized firmware (if you used PwnTool for Mac.)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm using blackrain. I can only get to step 5 in this tut.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5527

As a bit of background I've used quickpwn before and never had a problem.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know how I would go about making my ipods home screen/any applicable applications horizontal. I want to put it in a wristsband like thing and have a small computer-like device on my arm.

Dekabal on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah. In that case I have no clue. I'd assume you'd just do a normal restore, then.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blackrain should only leave you on that screen for a minute or so. I used it to jailbreak two 3GS 3.1 oob's and it worked great on both.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Like a pip boy?

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Like a virgin.
    touched for the very first time

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So my phone never completes the blackra1n Jbreak. I have a 3g iphone running 3.1

wavecutter on
  • Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Like a pip boy?

Yes, like a pip boy. Also, Meepzero, where did you find that fallout theme. The only ones I can find aren't that cool.

Dekabal on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So my phone never completes the blackra1n Jbreak. I have a 3g iphone running 3.1

You need 3.1.2 I think. (I just jailbroke mine, so yeah I was on 3.1.2.)

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have 3.1.2 but it just seems to hang at "running"

wavecutter on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have 3.1.2.

Oh. Not sure then buddeh. Sorry.

donhonk on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've seen people on other forums claiming that they had success with a 3G if itunes is left running while using blackra1n. and maybe toggling on airplane mode before starting.
    the 3G-S seems to work fine without such tricks.

also, make sure you're using your fastest USB ports. (the ones on the front of my case are usb 1.0 for some reason and it messed up the jailbreak on my first attempt)

SaraLuna on
This discussion has been closed.