Options

Thinking of getting a Gaming Laptop

2»

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If chain-upgrading your way out of a deal is a real problem for you, and you can't just push yourself into getting the first, cheapest thing you find in any deal chain, I would just commit myself to no more than one upgrade from the cheapest acceptable model and then just do cost/benefit on whichever ones I find.

Which may or may not make sense.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    Hi, old dead thread with outdated links to laptops which may or may not have already Moore's Law-ed their way into obsolescence!

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be looking into getting something gamey and laptop-like in the $1,500 range. I already have notebookcheck's benchmarks and most of the big-name manufacturers bookmarked, so I at least have a framework for the shopping with the clicking and the second-guessing.

What I'm looking for is, the deal. You know the one. The one that you just happened upon the other day and really wish you had the money to pick up.

If you have seen the deal, please report the deal here, so that I may buy the deal and bask in its goodness.

I've been poking around a couple of other threads, so if this is a retread to you...I dunno, go call your mother instead of reading this nonsense. She worries herself sick about you.

Asus G51Vx-X3A for $1100
    Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz
    4GB DDR2
    GTX 260M (1GB)

corky842 on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For gaming CPU speed doesn't really factor for the most part, let alone the speed of your RAM.

Here is the best place I know of to look up comparisons of all those mobile GPUs: notebookcheck.net

One thing to keep in mind is that the lower rez your screen is, the longer your video card will be able to keep up with new games.

Unless it is TF2.

I have a Pavilion dv6 by HP.

2.13 ghz core duo
    4 gigs of Ram
    Mobile ATI 4650.

I haven't had any troubles running any games so far and that includes Fallout 3 on high, and TF2 on high.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    corky842 wrote: »

Asus G51Vx-X3A for $1100
    Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz
    4GB DDR2
    GTX 260M (1GB)

That may have just saved me $400.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What do you guys think of this laptop?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613
    I'm thinking of getting it as a replacement for my 5 year old desktop.

noluit on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm looking at this Dell XPS 16
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-studio-xps-16/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-xps-16&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-studio-xps-16-anav-2~~

Not bad for 1200, they are offering 250 off right now. I'm wondering if the RGBLED screen is worth the extra 175. I heard some good impressions, but nothing really specific. From what i can tell, the ATI 4670 should be comparable to a 240m, if not a bit better. The quad core is overkill, but its actually cheaper than the dual cores right now (for dell).

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ...damnit, I forgot that Newegg has a distro center in my state.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Don't worry, even with standard shipping, items with an estimated delivery time of 3 business days usually arrive overnight anyway if you're really close to a distribution center.

Funnily enough, my motherboard arrived only a day after the rest of my components even though it came from the distribution center all the way on the other side of the US and was scheduled for the following week.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    Don't worry, even with standard shipping, items with an estimated delivery time of 3 business days usually arrive overnight anyway if you're really close to a distribution center.

Funnily enough, my motherboard arrived only a day after the rest of my components even though it came from the distribution center all the way on the other side of the US and was scheduled for the following week.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the $100+ in taxes that having a distro center in my state costs me.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just bought the G51Vx-X3A about a month ago (open box off newegg for 960). My first laptop and I like it quite a bit. Runs warm though. The Ogio Street City Corp laptop bag fits it quite nicely.

I would check out Bestbuy in addition to newegg as well. They've got a few different models in the G-Series. Although the case graphic isn't nearly as nice.

Advent on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of Best Buy, can anyone see any reason why this model at Best Buy would be somehow worse than this one at Newegg? The former's specs all match or exceed the latter's. What the hell am I missing?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pretty case graphics and a higher native resolution.

Actually there was a similar looking one to that model with an i7m in it for 1150ish on there a few weeks ago.

Advent on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a machine with a 240m with a bigger screen (18.4) and a bigger harddive (500gigs) for $800.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115681

Ugh, I hate this. This always happens. I find a machine I think is good, but for only $150 more I can get a better components, but I have no way in my mind to not only determine if the new components are worth $150 more, but if those components iare worth a 25% increase of price on the item.

This laptop is fantastic. It has some pros and cons for sure, but it's well worth the price. I already made a review on newegg but here it is again:

Pros
    My girlfriend has had this laptop since December. This is a great laptop for the price. It plays games with graphics settings turned up and doesn't lag with applications like Photoshop. The cooling is nice, the heat vents through the back and keeps the rest of the chassis cool, it doesn't get too hot during games either. The screen and keyboard are really big for a laptop. It can play most games at native resolution including MW2. Seems to keep up with my desktop 8800. The lights and volume control impress people. They're really sleek.

Cons
    There was some bloatware like everyone said. Also, sound issues: Updating the sound driver has helped but it also killed the bass. It's not too big of an issue, it DOES sound better than the distortion before the update. Just don't expect to hear all the instruments when you listen through the speakers. Headphones for the win.

The screen isn't as great as I had hoped it to be. The viewing angle has a definite sweet-spot you need to be at. Not too bad when you're the only one using it, a lot of adjustments when you're not.

Dust and fingerprints accumulate really fast, it's like there's some static discharge on it.

The keyboard flexes when you type on it. Not a big deal either but it's noticeable. The touch pad also isn't nearly awesome enough, it has the same texture as the plastic around it. I didn't think much when a reviewer commented on it but it totally makes a difference. We have a mouse to alleviate the problem.

Other Thoughts
    For the price, this is an excellent deal. I don't have any regrets about buying it.

I'll point out the obvious and say this a big gaming laptop. Don't buy this if you don't want to lug around something heavy. Don't buy this if you don't need portability, a desktop will give you more bang for you buck. Also don't buy this if all you want to do is surf the web, you can get away with a netbook.

Do buy this if you want a portable gaming machine. At the time of this review, it's the best cost ratio I've seen. We also bought the Toshiba backpack and it fits this laptop snuggly.

symbolsor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Advent wrote: »
    Pretty case graphics and a higher native resolution.

Actually there was a similar looking one to that model with an i7m in it for 1150ish on there a few weeks ago.

Good thing I hate the Newegg one's case graphics.

Anyway, picked up the BB one earlier today. They don't tell you this in Sunday School, but goddamn, a 17" screen on a notebook looks big.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh for fuck's sake. I finally get hte money to buy that laptop, get a glowing review from another poster.. and it's out of stock :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone know a good retailer for these sort of laptops in Aus? I've been reading the recommendations in this thread, but things like the Sager, which seem pretty popular, aren't turning up on any Aus google searches.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    pantspanicpantspanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread has been a great help. I've been poking around $1000-$1200 gaming laptops for a few months now, and there's plenty of resources and options I've missed. After a bit of searching and culling, current choices are:

MSI GX640

ASUS Republic of Gamers G51JX-X3

Also this ASUS G60JX-RBBX05 looks promising.

I haven't owned laptops by either company before, but my MSI motherboard has help up well over the years (not that that means they make great laptops, but at least I don't hate the company), and ASUS seems to have a decent reputation.

Any comments on experiences with either company's equipment?

(Also, regarding the ASUS, why do the laptops I find with decent price/performance ratio have asinine "aggressive styling" as a feature? Not that the nu-metal sodden ad on the MSI laptop page is much better.)

pantspanic on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No idea what that last ASUS is on there... fourohfour.

As for the other, I have the G51Jx-A1, and I absolutely love it. The screen is absolutely crystal. The system has been running great... Dragon Age runs at 1920x1080, everything at max, and is completely solid. The X1 is just the model that Best Buy/NewEgg sell.. it is pretty well the same unit, except it doesn't come with the mouse and case, and I believe has two less RAM slots. Which is fine... mine has 8GB of RAM, and it is overkill. 4 is plenty, and 2 slots is enough to get it to 8 later should it matter. And the 500GB of HD space is a godsend for me. It's almost overwhelming, coming from an 80GB disk and having to uninstall things or delete music/movies to do anything with it.

Be warned, it runs hot. Not "my balls are on fire!" hot, but it's hot. If you're used to desktops and start monitoring your temps, you will want to cry. However, at 70C on the four cores you are well below Intel's maximum spec, so don't worry. ;-)

[strike]As for their reputation, ASUS is respected because of their warranty. The units come with a stock 2 year warranty, and the first year covers accidental damage. You spilled your soda on your new laptop because you're a goose? You're covered.[/strike] Edit: This is only when purchased from licensed resellers, apparently. So if you spend the extra to buy from XoticPC or something, you'll get the 2 year/1yr-accidental coverage. Otherwise, it's a stock 1 year.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    pantspanicpantspanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    No idea what that last ASUS is on there... fourohfour.

As for the other, I have the G51Jx-A1, and I absolutely love it. The screen is absolutely crystal. The system has been running great... Dragon Age runs at 1920x1080, everything at max, and is completely solid. The X1 is just the model that Best Buy/NewEgg sell.. it is pretty well the same unit, except it doesn't come with the mouse and case, and I believe has two less RAM slots. Which is fine... mine has 8GB of RAM, and it is overkill. 4 is plenty, and 2 slots is enough to get it to 8 later should it matter. And the 500GB of HD space is a godsend for me. It's almost overwhelming, coming from an 80GB disk and having to uninstall things or delete music/movies to do anything with it.

Be warned, it runs hot. Not "my balls are on fire!" hot, but it's hot. If you're used to desktops and start monitoring your temps, you will want to cry. However, at 70C on the four cores you are well below Intel's maximum spec, so don't worry. ;-)

[strike]As for their reputation, ASUS is respected because of their warranty. The units come with a stock 2 year warranty, and the first year covers accidental damage. You spilled your soda on your new laptop because you're a goose? You're covered.[/strike] Edit: This is only when purchased from licensed resellers, apparently. So if you spend the extra to buy from XoticPC or something, you'll get the 2 year/1yr-accidental coverage. Otherwise, it's a stock 1 year.

Weird, just tried the Best Buy website again, it doesn't seem to like to link direct. In any case, the model is the only G60JX-RBBX05 on the site, search link brings it up, if anyone cares.

But yeah, with the level of gaming I'm hoping to accomplish, your ASUS sounds likes it's working at a pretty good price point.

pantspanic on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I'm probably going to pick up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220700

It has some beef to it and it's right at the end of my pricerange.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should love it. I still absolutely love mine, and aside from a couple of stupid little issues that were fixed in driver updates, I've had no real problems. ASUS earned some future business from me with this little job.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    thread, arise

give me opinions on the acer aspire 8942g

the graphics card looks lovely (am i right? seems better than a nvidia 250m), but mind explaining why the base clock speed is low, at 1.6 ghz? any other issues i should be putting under the microscope?

Nuzak on
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could use some advice on the Sager NP9285
    and NP8120

I'm looking to get a beast of a gaming laptop that will last me a good three years or so. It has to be a laptop and not a desktop as I need something I can pick up and move/put away when I'm not using it, plus minimal wires. Besides that I want something that will stay super cool, as overheating has been the major problem with my current Toshiba. As far as size, bigger is better as it'll only be used on the table in my living room.

From what I've read earlier in the thread, Sager sounds like a great high-end option, and buying through XoticPC is the way to go. Anyone have any experience with/advice about either of these models?

UnreadableHulk on