As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Gaming - What have I missed?

• Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I believe it is Win7 in it's entirety.

Speaking with Stardock TechSupport, they did say that they hoped to release a patch when Win7 is officially released, but didnt have a firm timetable.. or even a firm yes/no to the patch.

Just to reiterate, you can juryrig DA and GalCiv2 to run on Win7, just none of the other expansions.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    malicioussmurfmalicioussmurf Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, um, so... STALKER. I played it without mods and loved it. (Dear gods, make sure you get the proper mods, though.)
    Otherwise?
    Mass Effect (I liked it?)
    The Witcher (really. do it.)
    Dwarf Fortress? (it's ascii...)
    Batman:Arkham Asylum was amazing.
    Someone mentioned Minerva for HL2? Wonderful wonderful (free) storyline. Play it. It took me maybe 4-5 hours, if I remember properly, which is impressive considering plenty of 60$ games take 8 and have crap for value.
    In Re: Oblivion, I really loved the Assassin guild line. I won't say anymore.
    In Re: Fallout 3? I dunno. Meh. It was pretty slick, but I wasn't caught up in the story.
    Assassin's Creed? meh. It's got some fun mechanics, but, again, the story utterly failed to grab my interest.

Other thoughts: I enjoyed Psychonauts. And Dawn of Discov... oh damn. RTS-type. Risen was fun? Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was also good. Drakensang is good for your RPG kicks, imo.

Also: GOG.COM. "Good Old Games . Com"

malicioussmurf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wouldnt really qualify Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404) as RTS, its more like a Simcity type of game IMO.

EDIT: I just realized thats possibly because I always play it in Sandbox mode. My bad!

Are Witcher and STALKER really that good? I havent played them at all.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Are Witcher and STALKER really that good? I havent played them at all.
    Yes. Witcher is pretty much the best PC RPG of the latest few years, showing BioWare how it's done.

STALKER has that great STALKING and SCAVENGING feeling to it.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll have to give Witcher another go then.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was only mentioned once I believe, but I will second Titan Quest. If you're in any way into action rpg's, it's the best thing out that isn't Diablo II.

Also, Torchlight comes out next week for $20. It is also an action-rpg w/ a great art style & looks very promising.

FettS1 on
    Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's also a lot better since it was released, fixing bugs and loading screens that made me quit playing the first time.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    On my first playthrough of the unpatched game I finished the second Phoenix Wright on DS by only playing during loading screens.

In the Vizima chapters it meant I only had to interrupt my DS adventure now and then for a few moments.

Alegis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    On my first playthrough of the unpatched game I finished the second Phoenix Wright on DS by only playing during loading screens.

In the Vizima chapters it meant I only had to interrupt my DS adventure now and then for a few moments.

Sounds like a win-win.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll also reiterate the suggestion for the TBS/RGP hybrid King's bounty, since the standalone expansion/sequel is coming out in a few weeks

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Neva wrote: »

It's also a lot better since it was released, fixing bugs and loading screens that made me quit playing the first time.
    Also redone script and voice acting, interface upgrades, and a hundred other little touches all over the place. And it was still one of the best PC RPGs of the past decade before Enhanced Edition.

STALKER is its own experience, and there's absolutely nothing else like it.

Monger on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Make sure to get all the patches. For the American version they put back everything they had to cut to sell it in the US. Nudity, cursing, blod, etc. Plus some bonus adventures from the community and such.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'll also reiterate the suggestion for the TBS/RGP hybrid King's bounty, since the standalone expansion/sequel is coming out in a few weeks

I've finally been working my way through that. One good thing is that you can pretty much drop it for however long you want if you burn out, and then come back, wander straight into the enxt fight, and away you go again.

Also 3x double cast = awesome. Except against Black Dragons. I hate black dragons.

subedii on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I feel as though I'm alone in the world, as I really can't get into Bioshock. I can see the attraction, i guess, but the gameplay just comes off as really meh to me.

ill chime in for Street Fighter 4 is you at all like that sort of game. Hell, I never was very good at SF (more of a Tekken/Soul Calibur player) but the online support is quite good. A lot of fun to play. - get a controller though.

Also seconding (fourthing?) Stalker and The Witcher...and Titan's Quest. Too bad you missed the D2D crazy 5 dollar sale.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People should get The Witcher if only to support CD Projekt for being pretty much the awesomest people alive. Bought the original? You get to download the Enhanced Edition and its bonus content for free. They also recently patched out their own DRM so that's not even an issue anymore, and they're the fine people behind GOG.com. The fact that the game is good too is almost beside the point; I bought it again just on principle. Hell, it's all worth it for Sentinels of Brokilon.

Echoing the STALKER love, too. Both Shadow and Clear Sky are glitchy, poorly-optimized messes on their faces, but there is some serious... frankly, magic at work. It's deeply atmospheric, the gunplay is tense and exciting, the world has a degree of authenticity (albeit with a heavy sci-fi frosting), and in spite of admittedly numerous problems it somehow comes together into something really special. I maintain that Shadow has some of the best balance between exploration, combat, and dungeon crawling that I've seen in a shooter to date.

If you're not opposed to point-and-click adventure games, Overclocked: A History of Violence is pretty good. Rather bleak, as it basically breaks down the hero even as he's trying to sort out why five kids appeared out of nowhere and went ballistic in downtown NYC, but it's remarkably compelling. Most of the puzzles consist of sorting through flashbacks, working through each kid's memory and using their own recordings to trigger responses from the others. Interesting stuff; I'd try the demo and see if it does it for you, though mostly it's a preview of the puzzles and flashback mechanism.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm pretty much in the same situation as the OP. I just upgraded from a computer that was barely able to run WoW to a pretty damn kickass one, so this thread has been sweet. I have VtM - Bloodlines and I'll be playing that... but how worth would this pack be?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2023/

Company of Heroes + Expansion, Frontlines, Full Spectrum Warrior + Expansion, Juiced 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Titan Quest + Expansion, Dawn of War + Expansions and Dawn of War II for $100.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, although I don't know when I'll have enough time to play all these games. Then again, Assassins Creed is 5 bucks right now on steam and although I really don't want it... it says to me if I'm patient I can just grab the games that I want when they go on sale. What do you guys think?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you like turn-based strategy.. I myself and a huge fan of the genre.

I'd recommend giving Poxnora a good look. It combines turn-based strategy a-la Disgaea or FFT, collectible cards, rpg elements, and deck-building strategies into a sweet package with a sweet community.

It is free to try the starter decks and download the client. Unfortunately, it isn't going to show off your new computer at all.

Just a suggestion. I have a hard time making time for other games now because of this addiction.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you're not going for extreme graphics, I strongly suggest Clive Barkers Undying.
    It's a must play.
    It's like combining H.P Lovecraft with Hellraiser.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AUDIOSURF

It's like 10 bucks, and is the best reason to find your Steam account. It's probably the best way to "take a break" inbetween singleplayer games.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The new Prince of Persia game is pretty fun. As is Beyond Good and Evil. Both are somewhat consoley, though.

Even if you don't like real time strategy games, Heroes of Newerth is worth looking at. It's pretty much a repackaged version of DOTA. I think it's still invite-only for the beta, but there are a lot of people on this forum who have spares. (Savage 2 by the same developers is freeware right now, too. If you want something free and shiny to look at.)

World of Goo is a bit odd and extremely cheap right now. Go buy it for a dollar or five. Or ten or twenty. I didn't pay that much. ;-)

Spelunky!!! Retro platformer. Absolutely brutal, you'll die over and over again. Freeware. My personal GOTY.

Frem on
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ross_C wrote: »
    AUDIOSURF

It's like 10 bucks, and is the best reason to find your Steam account. It's probably the best way to "take a break" inbetween singleplayer games.

Elaborate! Those were big letters and I am interested.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    AUDIOSURF

It's basically Guitar Hero + Tetris. And the levels are procedurally generated based on your choice of any music on your computer, taking into account rhythm, tempo, and relative intensity.

And now I'm going to go Audiosurf some Mastodon. And Mars Volta. And maybe some Minus the Bear.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    AUDIOSURF

It's basically Guitar Hero + Tetris. And the levels are procedurally generated based on your choice of any music on your computer, taking into account rhythm, tempo, and relative intensity.

And now I'm going to go Audiosurf some Mastodon. And Mars Volta. And maybe some Minus the Bear.

I don't really see all the fuss about Audiosurf. It's okay. Nothing to rave about.

Unless you have friends who surf the same music you do. Then it's absolutely amazing. Just not worth it if you're a loner.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    AUDIOSURF

I don't really see all the fuss about Audiosurf. It's okay. Nothing to rave about.

Unless you have friends who surf the same music you do. Then it's absolutely amazing. Just not worth it if you're a loner.
    I've ignored leaderboards for the entirety of the time I've spent with the game. In my humble opinion, if you can't enjoy Audiosurf for simple personal play, it's a good sign that you either don't enjoy your music as much as you think you do or you have shitty taste in music in the first place. Or you're trying to play the same songs more than once a session, which is your own dumb fault.

Monger on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Even if you don't like real time strategy games, Heroes of Newerth is worth looking at. It's pretty much a repackaged version of DOTA. I think it's still invite-only for the beta, but there are a lot of people on this forum who have spares. (Savage 2 by the same developers is freeware right now, too. If you want something free and shiny to look at.

HoN is a terrible recommendation for a newcomer to PC gaming who dislikes RTS games. It's one of the most noob hostile games ever. And a lot of people can simply get no fun out of it. It's pretty much a niche thing for hardcore DOTA players.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    AUDIOSURF

I've ignored leaderboards for the entirety of the time I've spent with the game. In my humble opinion, if you can't enjoy Audiosurf for simple personal play, it's a good sign that you either don't enjoy your music as much as you think you do or you have shitty taste in music in the first place. Or you're trying to play the same songs more than once a session, which is your own dumb fault.

Whenever I buy a new album, I always audiosurf it. It kind of makes you feel much more immersed into the music than you would think.

I think the best thing to ask would be:

Do you like visualizations in music players?

Would you like to have a game based on those visualizations that is actually fun?

Audiosurf is pretty much that.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AUDIOSURF

Whenever I buy a new album, I always audiosurf it. It kind of makes you feel much more immersed into the music than you would think.

I think the best thing to ask would be:

Do you like visualizations in music players?

Would you like to have a game based on those visualizations that is actually fun?

Audiosurf is pretty much that.

Say, they haven't made it compatible with music downloaded with a Zune pass yet have they? That would be rad, my Zune Pass collection has more than tripled the amount of other music I own.

edit: I still love the game, don't get me wrong, it's just been awhile since I played it and I was curious.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    AUDIOSURF

See, I enjoy my music enough that I prefer to listen to it without interfacing with it through a game which requires me to think about things other than the music and constantly puts little sound blips all over the place. I like music, I just don't like the game too much.

Without the tracks-generated-from-music thing, Audiosurf wouldn't be notable at all. Yes, I'm aware that that's sort of the point. There's just a void between the music and the play experience that I find very distracting. The generated play-area doesn't quite completely line up with the music, but it's not divorced from what I'm hearing, either. It's almost a vicarious experience type thing. Contrast with Guitar Hero/Rock Band, where the music plays a more direct part in the gameplay. I get a lot more immersed and get more satisfaction from playing that.

TL;DR - I'm not a huge fan of Audiosurf and it has nothing to do with my music.

Even if you don't like real time strategy games, Heroes of Newerth is worth looking at. It's pretty much a repackaged version of DOTA. I think it's still invite-only for the beta, but there are a lot of people on this forum who have spares. (Savage 2 by the same developers is freeware right now, too. If you want something free and shiny to look at.

HoN is a terrible recommendation for a newcomer to PC gaming who dislikes RTS games. It's one of the most noob hostile games ever. And a lot of people can simply get no fun out of it. It's pretty much a niche thing for hardcore DOTA players.
    Possibly; I've only played it a few times. I mentioned it because it's not really an RTS; it's more of a top-down RPG action game. It's also free right now, so the entry/exit level is pretty minimal. I do notice that the OP specifically mentioned single-player FPS games, so it probably was a bad recommendation.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TL;DR - I'm not a huge fan of Audiosurf and it has nothing to do with my music.
    Fair enough. The thing with the traffic not lining up is a function of the fact that very little music holds a mechanically steady beat. Anything electronically composed or recorded with a metronome will sync up better. I got used to it pretty fast, but I guess I can see how that has the potential to drive a person nuts if they don't.

Monger on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's actually a few tracks in my collection that are too emotionally draining to finish. Audiosurf is an extremely personal experience if you choose.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

WTF is DOTA?

Also I'm not a newb. I've been playing Civ since Civ II was on the new release shelf. I just took a few years off because between drinking, women and starting a band I didn't have enough free time to justify upgrading my PC or buying a new one.

Now that modern recording technology has made it trivially inexpensive to record 16 simultaneous tracks in your basement however, I needed something whose CPU wouldn't drop frames and working with the RAW files my DSLR was generating was obnoxious to the point that I'd backlogged over 10k photos that I'd taken and uploaded to my external hard drive, but never even bothered to try to work through.

So at the same time I find myself with a laptop who does a lovely job of playing videogames on the side of doing all that other shit.

Also Bioshock is super cool but GTA IV has completely sidetracked me from spending time playing anything else. Any time I have for videogames basically goes to GTA IV, despite Rockstar's best attempts at making their PC port completely fucking unplayable.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DoTA stands for Defense of the Ancients, some mod inspired by some other mod which basically places you in control of 1 hero character. Your team battles other team of heroes, with lots of cannon fodder units running around which you kill in order to grind up your level and buy items.

Basically it's 2 teams of 5 guys running back and forth for 40 mins and if you join as a newbie your team will bitch at you the entire time and eventually try to get you blacklisted. Everytime you die and your opponents level up you can hear them gnash their teeth if you open your window. That *plof* sound? Your teammate in Brazil popped some veins.

Pretty much one of the worse gaming communities you can find yourself playing in. Until you're banned.

Alegis on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    DoTA stands for Defense of the Ancients, some mod inspired by some other mod which basically places you in control of 1 hero character. Your team battles other team of heroes, with lots of cannon fodder units running around which you kill in order to grind up your level and buy items.

Basically it's 2 teams of 5 guys running back and forth for 40 mins and if you join as a newbie your team will bitch at you the entire time and eventually try to get you blacklisted. Everytime you die and your opponents level up you can hear them gnash their teeth if you open your window. That *plof* sound? Your teammate in Brazil popped some veins.

Pretty much one of the worse gaming communities you can find yourself playing in. Until you're banned.

It can be pretty fun if someone that you know plays it and shows you how to play any one role well enough to have fun with it.

But yeah, otherwise, not so much.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay so it's like they went to find the most obnoxious possible example of a genre I dislike as a rule and decided to remake that. Awesome, I'll avoid that.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm tellin' ya pheez. GalCiv II.

Unless you're running that whole Windows 7 thing. If that's the case then wait until they fix it.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    No, I dug out an ancient install CD for WinXP and spent all day last Saturday getting it updated.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I promise I'll try GalCiv II. Just as soon as I'm less obsessed with GTA IV.

Yes, I'm standing by the game that abuses me and ignoring the game that just wants me to let it be so good to me. I realize that.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What's all this talk about GalCiv2 not working with Windows 7? I am on the RC version, playing Twilight of the Arnor, and it seems to work fine for me. It complains about DirectX being disabled or something, but if I click OK the game launches and can be played.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Okay so gta iv is a fucking fiasco. That aside it runs and isn't HIDEOUS but I find the quality at which it runs to be disappointing.

After PC GTA3 we shouldn't be surprised.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    darren66 wrote: »
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Okay so gta iv is a fucking fiasco. That aside it runs and isn't HIDEOUS but I find the quality at which it runs to be disappointing.

After PC GTA3 we shouldn't be surprised.

Well, to be fair, Vice City and San Andreas were WONDERFUL ports. I expected GTA:IV to be of the same quality. But then I was just disappointed.

Ross_C on