As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No Talent Ass Clowns [Office Space thread]

KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I was talking about this movie with a friend of mine the other day. I really liked it and thought it was a fantastic, on this we agree. I then commented that I thought Office Space had probably changed the landscape of offices forever and likely started the thought rebellion we see today, with many offices sporting a “no walls” approach, talking to employees about improving the company, and just generally lightening up. My friend didn’t think so, saying there were many places that still had the same mentality as before, with upper management bullies, discouragement of self-expression, and a general lack of appreciation for the employee.

Well, D&D, it’s been ten years now, what do you think about your office environment? Is Lumbergh your boss? Is there a nutty guy in the next cube over? Or have things improved a bit? Do you think the movie had anything to do with it, or was it unrelated?

My own take on things:
I didn’t start working in an office environment until 2006. Even then, I work in a lab, though we do have cubicles and the like. I love my job, and don’t mind my cube (which has a clear “window” on top of it so I can see outside and other people and stuff). Our printers work without issue, and most inter office software is functional if not well-programmed. It's not Google's workplace, but it's still really good (the people are awesome too. Also, free soda!).

Killgrimage on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Office Space didn't shape the office culture of the present, it was an observation of the office culture of its time.

Sure it's made its way into the culture with stupid interns smacking the printer claiming a 'PC Load Letter Error' (no really guys, thats hilarious. The joker last summer didnt do the same. exact. thing.), but that's more shared movie experience than anything. Companies aren't looking at Initech as a template.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Office Space didn't shape the office culture of the present, it was an observation of the office culture of its time.

Right, but in making this observation, did it change office culture? I mean, some people left their jobs because of this movie and how it spoke to them. Yes, they were also upset at their work and probably should have quit, but it was like OS really brought the point home that something was wrong. And many more probably started being more vocal to their managment about shitty work practices. I'm not saying OS is the reason everything changed, there were likely rumblings within the culture already and OS was just bringing a lot of it to light.
    Companies aren't looking at Initech as a template.

Boy I fucking hope not.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but I don't think any of that actually happened. The tech bubble bursting and globalization may have changed the culture, but I don't think there's anything to substantiate that a funny Mike Judge movie had any substantial influence.

as an aside, as I get older there is less and less I can laugh about in that movie. There is too much goddamn truth. :)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I don't think Office Space influenced anything except to add some new jokes to the repertoire. If anything, it was a reaction to what people at the time were going through. Note that no fewer than two other movies that came out that year - American Beauty and Fight Club - tell very similar stories about white-collar drones escaping their drudgery through cheating/scheming/blackmail and going in search of something more "real."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I never understood why the weird pudgy guy decided to burn things down at the end.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Office Space inspired one of my co-workers to study the API for our department's printer and change the default "Waiting for Job" message to be "PC Load Letter".

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I am Peter Gibbons. I hate my job, I hate my office, I hear shit about stupid forms all day. If I screw up, 4 different people come to tell me I screw up. Bunched layoffs are common. I've seen people interview for their own job. I work with annoying co-workers.

I even had a girlfriend that cheated on me!

But no cute girl to take her place.

I always thought, 10 years ago, when I saw that movie that I'd never end up like this. It was funny and comical. I don't enjoy watching the movie anymore because it hits too close to home.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I always thought, 10 years ago, when I saw that movie that I'd never end up like this. It was funny and comical. I don't enjoy watching the movie anymore because it hits too close to home.

I saw this in college and it was hilarious. I saw this last year and I died a little on the inside. A coworker got hollered at recently by two of his bosses because he forgot to change the excel formatting / file name of a report.

The only thing I could tell him after the fact was 'fucking TPS reports'.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only thing that movie did for me was cause me to curse What the fuck is PC Load Letter whenever I see stupid software.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I never understood why the weird pudgy guy decided to burn things down at the end.

He kept threatening to burn the place down for being mistreated throughout the whole movie. It really came as no surprise.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

He kept threatening to burn the place down for being mistreated throughout the whole movie. It really came as no surprise.

Yeah, he was laid off, but no one bothered to tell him, and a glitch in accounting made his wages continue being paid out for a while. When the glitch was discovered, they still didn't bother to tell him, instead they just stopped the payments, and Lumberg stole his stapler and moved him down to the basement.

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So what I'm hearing is the office really hasn't changed much? No amount of advances in sociology or behavior matter, people are still dicks at work?

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't watch the Office or Office Space without having these same thoughts.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what I'm hearing is the office really hasn't changed much? No amount of advances in sociology or behavior matter, people are still dicks at work?

if anything, the office culture being slowly filled by people who saw this movie in when they were younger is still very much the same but in some small part has become a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy

thats what happens when you throw people into such soul sucking motivation destroying environments like modern offices and even the most fiesty people either get shipped out or beaten into line

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have never worked in an office. But my dad has. Cubicle style, window-offices surrounding those pens and halls. I have been there on work days and weekends where few people were present. So, I wasn't quite immersed in it, but I think at least seeing that environment operate made the movie that much more enjoyable for me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The first time I saw Office Space, about a decade ago, it was kind of cute and I chuckled a few times.

When I watched it a few months ago, after working IT for 2.5 years, it was absolutely hilarious and scarily accurate.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a boss was was fucking Lumberg

all soften spoken but passive aggressive all the time

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And there is this woman here who, I swear to christ, is exactly like Milton

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am Peter Gibbons. I hate my job, I hate my office, I hear shit about stupid forms all day. If I screw up, 4 different people come to tell me I screw up. Bunched layoffs are common. I've seen people interview for their own job. I work with annoying co-workers.

There's not enough lime in the world for this post.

I've been in Information Technology for 7 years. I hate my job and I hate everything about the IT industry.

I hate my boss because she's the perfect example of why middle management (Lumburg) is completely useless in the workplace.

I hate my office and that the tiniest mistakes result in being yelled at by lazy managers.

I hate my co-workers.

I used to think Office Space was the most hilarious shit ever. I can't watch it now because it's the most depressing documentary I have ever seen.

I am Peter Gibbons.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've only really worked in one office. Our floor has no cubes, pretty much everyone gets their own actual office with a door and everything. People can bring in their own furniture and do whet ever. The office culture is pretty good overall. Another company leased the floor below us, which was set up the same way, and knocked down all the walls and installed massive cube farms except for the corner offices for the big wigs. I'm sure some places are exactly like Inetech and always will be. Office culture is defined by the people who work there.

Smurph on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Our office just moved from a small space with individual rooms to a huge building with cubicles for everyone and a couple of offices for the bosses.

Same as everyone else, the movie is a lot different after you've been in a cubicle for a while. It's not that its horrible, but there are just so many small things that add up and over time become real problems. The guy that doesn't shower, or the one in front that has annoying music all the time. Or the guy who always makes the same mistake.

It's a little bit like running with a shirt that chafes your nipple. If you run a mile you probably won't mind it much and never even give it a second thought. On the other hand, if you run a marathon in that same shirt, you're ready to rip it off, burn it and sue the manufacturer.

Also, fuck the printers they always break on the worst of times.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I was working in a precise OS clone when I first saw the film, and it both became my favorite comedy and also influenced me to quit my job and find something I didn't hate.

Years later, I would have a boss who was the female equivalent of Lumbergh, only less charming. She once reprimanded me because, while we were communicating via Skype (which was what employees there used for quick communication), I said "No prob" in place of "No problem." She said abbreviations are not acceptable in an office environment.

Basically, I was reprimanded for not using formal writing skills over fucking chat.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Does anybody ever say to you, looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays?"

"No.... shit no man. I think you'd get your ass kicked for saying something like that."

I love that movie. So much.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am so very glad that I will never work in an office environment like that ever.

Godfather on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gonna show her my 'O' face! OH! OH!

What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
    Yeah.
    Wow that's messed up.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My workplace is weird. I get the feeling that most of it is Office Space-ish (CMMI Level 5 will do that), but the team I'm in really isn't that much. My boss is pretty anti-Lumberg, anyway: he's bitterly sarcastic and always at odds with upper management. I really hope he doesn't get canned or something.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the problem really is no talent ass clowns. There simply aren't enough talented people willing to work in all the crappy companies out there to get decent managers, so the ... lesser caliber people end up getting moved to lower and mid level management, and Office Space is the result of that kind of person left to run unchecked. It really is easier to dump everyone in a cubicle farm and run a soul crushed death march.

If you get good people in management, they usually know enough to not do that kind of thing and you can get a decent office.

werehippy on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I work in a pretty straight cut government office. It's not quite as passive aggressive as Office Space, but there's still the feeling of despair.

It's a pretty accurate picture of working in a cubicle farm. I think the only thing that has been different in all my experiences is the idea of meetings. They don't really cover the ridiculousness of meetings, how pointless they are and how frequent they are. I've sent emails to my supervisor informing her of problems I encountered with the data and she'll set up a meeting a week later to "discuss the problems I'm having". And by discuss the problem I mean I read out the email I sent her and she takes notes. A goddamn waste of time!

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    I work in a pretty straight cut government office. It's not quite as passive aggressive as Office Space, but there's still the feeling of despair.

It's a pretty accurate picture of working in a cubicle farm. I think the only thing that has been different in all my experiences is the idea of meetings. They don't really cover the ridiculousness of meetings, how pointless they are and how frequent they are. I've sent emails to my supervisor informing her of problems I encountered with the data and she'll set up a meeting a week later to "discuss the problems I'm having". And by discuss the problem I mean I read out the email I sent her and she takes notes. A goddamn waste of time!

You forgot the glory of the pre-meeting planning meeting. Those are the best.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I was working in a precise OS clone when I first saw the film, and it both became my favorite comedy and also influenced me to quit my job and find something I didn't hate.

Years later, I would have a boss who was the female equivalent of Lumbergh, only less charming. She once reprimanded me because, while we were communicating via Skype (which was what employees there used for quick communication), I said "No prob" in place of "No problem." She said abbreviations are not acceptable in an office environment.

Basically, I was reprimanded for not using formal writing skills over fucking chat.

Wow.... that bitch was a cunt of a boss.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

And the post-meeting recap meetings

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »

And the post-meeting recap meetings

Any meeting that doesn't spawn at least three meetings of its own just isn't trying hard enough.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah as I'm reading through the thread and seeing two people who professed to absolutely hate their lives, all I can wonder is "Why not change it then?" I certainly understand that with the current economic environment, it probably isn't a good time to be quitting anything but man, what's the point of life if misery is constant?

I'm actually hoping to get an office job at the moment (a response is coming this week, fingers crossed!) because it's far superior in pay and hours to tutoring but reading some of the horror stories has dampened my enthusiasm.

Underdog on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    If I'm one of those people you're talking about, I'm slowly working on changing it.

But it no excuse to put up with it for the past 3 years.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Those aren't always a waste of time. I hold those occasionally to make sure the people I'm going into a "for realz" meeting have their shit so we know what we're talking about and don't look like complete tools to the big shots.

However, if you're having a pre-meeting meeting with the same people that will be in the actual meeting, then yeah, that's fucked up. I've been to those. /shudder.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Underdog wrote: »

Yeah as I'm reading through the thread and seeing two people who professed to absolutely hate their lives, all I can wonder is "Why not change it then?" I certainly understand that with the current economic environment, it probably isn't a good time to be quitting anything but man, what's the point of life if misery is constant?

I'm actually hoping to get an office job at the moment (a response is coming this week, fingers crossed!) because it's far superior in pay and hours to tutoring but reading some of the horror stories has dampened my enthusiasm.

Changing your circumstances is Hard. Its much easier to wake up in the morning and autopilot your way to Friday. You shamble on like a zombie because it's familiar, you have bills, etc.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Underdog wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people you're talking about.

I didn't actually start to hate my job until this last July. I liked the job I did for the last year but my boss moved me to a different position to try and accommodate my school schedule. Unfortunately, my new boss is a cunt and the new job is the most soul draining job on the planet.

I actually am working on changing my job situation, it's just that I have to suffer through another 6-7 months of this bullshit before I can reach my goal.

See, I work for a university and I'm in the law program part-time at the university because full-time staff get a tuition discount. My plan is to finish this school year (Fall 09/Spring 10) while working so I can enjoy the tuition benefits.

I'm going to quit this horrid job during summer 2010 and go to school full-time starting in the fall of 2010.

Of course, I might be given the ultimatum over winter break where my boss forces me to chose between work and school. If that happens, I'll pick school and I'll go to school full-time starting this spring.

Either way, my situation will be changed in a minimum of 2 months or a maximum of 6-7 months. Then I'll never have to work in IT again, which makes me extremely happy to think about.
    Changing your circumstances is Hard. Its much easier to wake up in the morning and autopilot your way to Friday. You shamble on like a zombie because it's familiar, you have bills, etc.

This is more true than you realize. I never thought I'd be one of those guys who works for the weekend, but honestly, I have no motivation to do anything more than what's asked of me. Going through the motions is all I'm willing to give to this place considering all of the bullshit I have to deal with.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    I am so very glad that I will never work in an office environment like that ever.
    Same here. I've always had my own office since I've been in the working world. And, these days, I'm the guy who makes the Lumbergs of the world wet themselves, since they know I speak for their bosses.

One thing I did learn from Office Space is that it's a good idea to find the Michaels, Peters and Sameers of the world and bring them onto your team. It's just a matter of motivation.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I showed Office Space to one of my college roommates back in 2001. He was a Computer Engineering major at the time, but he soon changed majors. When I asked him why he changed majors, he actually cited Office Space as a significant reason: he never wanted to end up in a job like that, and all the computer engineers he knew told him their jobs were exactly like the movie.

He ended up getting some business degree instead. He now works for the Government Accountability Office.

I've been wanting to ask him for years whether he managed to evade the Office Space-esque job.

Hedgethorn on