As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ready to be locked up at Impel Down it's the [Old One Piece Thread]

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So let's do a straw(hat) poll here.

How many weeks does this arc have left?

I'm going with 3.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm going with 3.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm going with 3.

Maybe, but I'm guessing 4 or 5... Oda has moved really fast these last few chapters though.

predictions:
    I don't think we'll get another berserk luffy moment. What can he do that would top what he already did in the last few chapters, but still keep the entire event as a resounding loss? Unless we expect the WG to lose at this point? (I don't). I think luffy is passed out at this point and will be carried off by the whitebeard folk while whitebeard sinks the island with him on it.

Luffy gets all depressed and we cut back to the other characters coming together and finding luffy and getting him back to his usual adventuring.

but this is what i guessed back at the beginning of this arc...

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

I'm going with 3.

Maybe, but I'm guessing 4 or 5... Oda has moved really fast these last few chapters though.

predictions:
    I don't think we'll get another berserk luffy moment. What can he do that would top what he already did in the last few chapters, but still keep the entire event as a resounding loss? Unless we expect the WG to lose at this point? (I don't). I think luffy is passed out at this point and will be carried off by the whitebeard folk while whitebeard sinks the island with him on it.

Luffy gets all depressed and we cut back to the other characters coming together and finding luffy and getting him back to his usual adventuring.

We don't know what King's Haki entails yet( we barely know what haki is in general). Only that it draws people towards him and is immensely powerful. It's possible that this will be what unleashes Luffy's latent powers. He's shown an instinctive use of it but not actual control. This might be what forces him to use it. Gear Royale if you will

King Riptor on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm going with 3.

predictions:

We don't know what King's Haki entails yet( we barely know what haki is in general). Only that it draws people towards him and is immensely powerful. It's possible that this will be what unleashes Luffy's latent powers. He's shown an instinctive use of it but not actual control. This might be what forces him to use it. Gear Royale if you will
    This comes down to preference for me, I for one would rather not see Luffy get some sort of rage-induced power-up here. That would seem cliche to me. The better storytelling route IMO would be for Luffy to experience real loss and have it cause some kind of character growth over the long term.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm going with 3.

predictions:

the next gear better be called gear royale or I will be dissapointed

NotYou on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm going with 3.

predictions:

Dammit, me too now.

Also so far since I started participating in this thread Godfather hasn't said anything I disagree with. So I basically think I should just permanently throw my support at any of his ideas in the future as well. If you wrote a book, Godfather, I would read it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm going with 3.

predictions:

To be fair I sort of borrowed that from King of Bandits Jing. Still I think it works.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New chapter spoilers.
    As was already pointed out, both in this thread, and in the actual chapter, Ace admitted himself that his death was his fault. Luffy did litterally everything he could, and more, and suceeded, and Ace was the one who fucked up and decided to go out and die. It finally finishes him because there was litterally nothing he could have done about it. Ace made a decision, and paid for it.

I think Luffy's done for this arc.

As far as him needing a super sayian moment, it's not necessary. He has the King's Haki, which he displayed, he led the push and actually freed his brother. He survived the greatest battlefield the world has seen in this age of Pirates. He also "organized"(Publically they'll blame Buggy of course, because it has to happen, but they'll know it was Luffy) the Impel down breakout. He's dangerously close to being off the bounty list after this.

Transporter on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think we may see a haki-fueled punch that knocks out Akainu. Everyone knows he has it, but it is unclear to everyone as to his degree of control. Knocking out someone who is both a logia and one of the strongest players in the world would freak everyone out.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New chapter spoilers.
    As was already pointed out, both in this thread, and in the actual chapter, Ace admitted himself that his death was his fault. Luffy did litterally everything he could, and more, and suceeded, and Ace was the one who fucked up and decided to go out and die. It finally finishes him because there was litterally nothing he could have done about it. Ace made a decision, and paid for it.

I think Luffy's done for this arc.

As far as him needing a super sayian moment, it's not necessary. He has the King's Haki, which he displayed, he led the push and actually freed his brother. He survived the greatest battlefield the world has seen in this age of Pirates. He also "organized"(Publically they'll blame Buggy of course, because it has to happen, but they'll know it was Luffy) the Impel down breakout. He's dangerously close to being off the bounty list after this.

Note: 1
    Yes to it being named Gear Royale

Note 2:
    Yes, One Piece is classic shonen, etc, etc. I think what those of us who would prefer a "Luffy's pretty much done" conclusion to this arc is that it would defy the usual cliche, at the same moment a previous element flew out the window (no one dies). It would be a nice half-way marker that would shift the tone.

I mean, honestly? I'd love to see some genre-breaking stuff go on. Possibly because the shonen cliche is one of the most overused, abused, and uncreative archetypes in comics.

That being said, I'm not expecting a genre-breaker, and consider it more like wishful thinking. Gear Royale would be acceptable.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Either way next chapter is either going to be a big flashback or one of the most important chapters in the entire run.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

To be fair I sort of borrowed that from King of Bandits Jing. Still I think it works.

I knew it! I immediately thought of Kir Royale.
    My gf has all the manga volumes on her shelf. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    best image?

best image.

current chapter spoilers:
    713b6fd2c45e186a29419325c55b136f891.jpg

Rust on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Too soon!

durax on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Current chapter reaction

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Current chapter spoilers:
    It won't happen for a long time, likely years, but there will come a day when Blackbeard gets punched in the face SO HARD for everything that's happened in this arc. I'm looking forward to it.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I knew it! I immediately thought of Kir Royale.
    My gf has all the manga volumes on her shelf. :)

I regret not finishing the manga but as attack names go that is one of the best.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I personally like Gomu Gomu no Storm. Practically spells $Texas in terms of rape dollars.

Jet Gatling is a pretty dope attack name as well.

And, of course, the inevitable Jet Haki Massacre is destined to become an instant classic.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To be perfectly fair, that is a pretty metal way to go.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Current chapter spoilers:

1265950894817.png
    1265950839559.png
    1265950784611.png
    1265950748995.png
    1265950678211.png

Camui on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To be perfectly fair, that is a pretty metal way to go.

Oh hell yeah, I would take that attack with the highest of honors.

Bring it on motherfucker

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    welp, my best image ever got beaten awfully fast

Rust on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like those a hell of a lot better than the overused Falcon Punch gag.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really love the Zoro one.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not gonna lie; I think Oda might have botched it up with that face.

I mean, damn; kind of a way to kill a moment there.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I chalk it up to Luffy never being serious, and just not being able to handle something like that. Pretty simple.

Camui on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honestly, the face is growing on me now.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the only time we've seen him cry *actual* tears, is
    Merry's funeral.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eugh, this chapter is tearing me apart.

Good lord. What a way things turned out.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Eugh, this chapter is tearing me apart.

Good lord. What a way things turned out.

This was pretty much my reaction.

So shitty this is.
    A fundamental rule has been broken.

Nothing will ever be the same.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's the genius of it though. He built up this from the beginning with the "no one dies in OP rule" and then chooses the absolute ridiculous time to break it.

Also, even if we think it's supposed to be "classic" shonen, maybe Oda's trying to forge out a new path. I mean, death isn't uncommon even in Jump. Look at Jo Jo or Hokuto no Ken.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    is this really breaking shounen rules for you guys? Ace has barely had any screen time at all in thsi massive series...

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    is this really breaking shounen rules for you guys? Ace has barely had any screen time at all in thsi massive series...
    and during that little screentime he still became enormously popular with the fanbase

in shounen, you do not spent months of chapters and two-and-a-half story arcs trying to rescue a single character who is also a huge hit with the readers only for him to get snuffed with the finish line in sight

this does not normally happen

Rust on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I changed my mind, I want to see Luffy take out Akainu with a Gomu Gomu no Gigant Bell.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My friend is just starting his catch up marathon to the latest manga, at my urging. He's now at the opening salvo of the Whitebeard pirates versus the World Government.

I can't wait to hear his reaction when he finishes the latest chapter.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd been urging my coworker to read it for some time. In the early chapters, he thought I was insane. He enjoyed Arabasta, but didn't think it was anything particularly special, and got bogged down and had to be urged forwards in Skypeia.

And then he hit Eneis Lobby and finished from there on in about a week, and now hates me because all manga suck in comparison and because he caught up in such an excruciatingly cliffhanger-y spot.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I had a weird dream last night.
    I dreamt I was watching One Piece with my family sometime after the current chapter. The episode was not only about Ace surviving the hit and being carried off by Garp, but also Aikanu and Whitebeard fought to the death taking the island down with them so Ace was made the new Vice-admiral. Also Luffy was reunited with Sanji aboard the Sunny (no other crew members). The next episodes in the listings were going to be filler involving a Scooby-doo crossover.

Maybe it's my subconscious telling me that I already miss Ace and the crew. And I miss watching Scooby-doo for some reason.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    and during that little screentime he still became enormously popular with the fanbase

in shounen, you do not spent months of chapters and two-and-a-half story arcs trying to rescue a single character who is also a huge hit with the readers only for him to get snuffed with the finish line in sight

that only seems true for one of the main characters. Like if it was nami or someone he was rescuing. Ace isn't even a side character. He's been around for less than 1% of the chapters.

NotYou on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »

that only seems true for one of the main characters. Like if it was nami or someone he was rescuing. Ace isn't even a side character. He's been around for less than 1% of the chapters.
    He's the main character's brother. In a shounen. As such he is privy to main character immortality status, unless he is evil, or sacrifices himself for the greater good/for his brother. No matter how much screen time they have, if they're good, they are immensly powerful, and always cooler then the main character.

Transporter on
This discussion has been closed.