As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shattered Horizon - FPS in Zero G

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guess I've been lucky, no framerate issues at all. Turning off Ambient Occlusion didn't fix it for you stabbity?

Nope D:

Unless it required me to restart for it to take effect.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guess I've been lucky, no framerate issues at all. Turning off Ambient Occlusion didn't fix it for you stabbity?

Nope D:

Unless it required me to restart for it to take effect.

Hell, I set all my options to their lowest setting and restarted and it's just as slow (if not slower) than before. It's so weird because I was getting great framerates before the patch. I hope they fix it quick because I'd hate to come back and find the game deserted again before I could play with the new weapons. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JustPlainEvilJustPlainEvil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Hell, I set all my options to their lowest setting and restarted and it's just as slow (if not slower) than before. It's so weird because I was getting great framerates before the patch. I hope they fix it quick because I'd hate to come back and find the game deserted again before I could play with the new weapons. :(
    Hmm I'm crashing to desktop every time the map Moondust is loaded. It loads it, gets all choppy with graphical glitches then crashes.

I wonder if this is part of the same choppiness problem you guys have. Hope they fix these issues soon, the new weapons are pretty fun.

JustPlainEvil on
    steam_sig.png

Steam ID : JustPlainEvil
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have weak GPU's in this computer (9600 GT's in SLI) and I have no framerate issues. It doesn't look pretty as it does on my other box but it certainly runs fine.

Loving this update. The new weapons are keeping it real fresh.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    New guns are neat, but holy crap you weren't kidding. Up to like 3-4 minute load time from 1 minute, and framerate dropped from a smooth 60 to like 4 during combat.

Morkath on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've read some people are seeing some improvement by deleting game config files and starting from a clean setup.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will be playing this tomorrow night. Excited to hear about the new weapons!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    I've read some people are seeing some improvement by deleting game config files and starting from a clean setup.

You mean delete the config files and reinstall the game?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reinstalling seems to have increased performance for me.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well I reinstalled and everything seemed to be going fine for about five to ten minutes, then my framerate went back down the shitter. I guess I'll have to wait for a fix to come out. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Looks like a patch went through today. I'm noticing the performance hit is mostly on the 4 newer maps, and doesn't occur on the older ones. Flipside runs like butter.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It hasn't fixed the graphical glitch crash bug I have though :(.

Edit:
    Once loaded, I get 2 or 3 seconds of in-game messed up graphics then it minimizes and all I can do is kill the process from the task menu. Anyone else have this problem or found a solution for it?

JustPlainEvil on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Well new patch out that should fix the performance issues and other bugs:
    Updates to Shattered Horizon have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Shattered Horizon: version 1.2.0.26
    performance optimizations
    reload bugs fixed
    Pistol overall accuracy has been improved
    Railgun is now more accurate when fired from a surface in non-scoped mode
    The railgun wobble after each shot and after zoom-in is a bit shorter
    Player speed while using SMG or shotgun has been reduced
    Player speed while using machinegun has been improved a bit

Going to try it out later and see if this fixed my problems as well.

JustPlainEvil on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Excellent, I shall try this again when I get home.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I saw improvements.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes, but the real question is did you smell improvements?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A phew

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    W00t finally working great. The patch improved my performance greatly but didn't fix my crashing problem.

Luckily found the solution on the support forums. If anyone else has the same problem where graphical glitches cause the game to minimize and crash try the solution here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261334

Basically it's an issue with Nvidia cards and some of their drivers. The drivers from November '09 suggested in that thread seem to work fine for me. So if you have an Nvidia card and are having any graphical problems or crashes try upgrading/downgrading to these drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.62_whql.html

JustPlainEvil on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does this game have bots by chance? I would like to get it, but I don't want to just hop into online play right away.

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    Does this game have bots by chance? I would like to get it, but I don't want to just hop into online play right away.

No bots. There are practice serves though. Also, why not just hop in? It's not like getting killed in the game gets you killed in real life.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a KDR of 0 in real life

Alegis on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    First: The guns feel like guns. This is good.

I'm loving the new map revolving around the ambush of a ship. It's pitch black and illuminated largely by spotlights... I actually managed to get something like 40 kills in 20 minutes just flying around with an SMG and Flares.

I like flares. You can make paths of cover with those things. Shoot one out straight ahead, boost, go dark as you hit it, shoot another, and come out in the middle of a group of enemies ready to do damage. I was surprised when I finally tried it powered on and realized that the SMG has a nice holographic sight.

Maybe I liked it so much because all of the people I've realized play this game constantly weren't on the server or hadn't learned the map by that point :lol:

Also, any way to swap grenades without constantly switching between my main weapon and my pistol?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Would anyone want to get in on a four-pack off steam?

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    First: The guns feel like guns. This is good.

I'm loving the new map revolving around the ambush of a ship. It's pitch black and illuminated largely by spotlights... I actually managed to get something like 40 kills in 20 minutes just flying around with an SMG and Flares.

I like flares. You can make paths of cover with those things. Shoot one out straight ahead, boost, go dark as you hit it, shoot another, and come out in the middle of a group of enemies ready to do damage. I was surprised when I finally tried it powered on and realized that the SMG has a nice holographic sight.

Maybe I liked it so much because all of the people I've realized play this game constantly weren't on the server or hadn't learned the map by that point :lol:

Also, any way to swap grenades without constantly switching between my main weapon and my pistol?

Use the mousewheel to switch grenades?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, really?

:(

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uhhh, yeah? :P Just scroll the mousewheel and you'll see your selected grenade in the bottom-middle of the screen.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have my controls set up as left button for shoot, right button for melee, and middle mouse to shoot grenade with scroll to switch between. I have q for switching to pistol and left the 1-6 for picking specific grenades.

Opty on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Has the player base in this gotten any bigger after the patch/sale? I really liked this game but my issue was that there were not very many people playing.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dang, Steam won't load the game with the new patch.

It doesn't even crash - just fails to load after the little "Preparing to launch Shattered Horizon" window pops up.

Oh well.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well the patch sorta helped. Now the game plays fine for about 5-10 minutes, then it all goes to shit and I'm getting single digit framerates. Any graphical setting, it doesn't matter if it's all turned on high or low or medium, it eventually goes completely to shit.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    kragerbazukragerbazu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Why are you afraid of playing with real people? Don't be a pussy.

kragerbazu on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

No bots. There are practice serves though. Also, why not just hop in? It's not like getting killed in the game gets you killed in real life.

I actually hopped into empty practice servers once or twice to get to grips with the game, but I actually found myself floating around examining the awesome environments. They really did a special job with the levels, it's rare that I want to just take in the levels in an FPS. Thrusting through an asteroid field, or watching meteorite pass a massive cracked open communications array.

subedii on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ive been playing more and more of this since the patch. I have pretty high system specs, but to make the game playable I have to turn everything down :\ The flares are amazing and do a great job. It adds so much tactics to the game, if you are pinned down, just shoot a flare and then boost out of cover and flank. Also I dont know if you could do this before, but you can hold the grenade button down to make it detonate out further.I was sniping and EMP'ing manz that were around corners in the settlement on the rock, then 3 bodies would float out and it was like ducks in a barrel.

It makes me mad the SMG and Rifle dont get sights when the suit is powered down. But it is really fun to boost in, power down and start shotgunning. It's also alot easier to get disoriented when being shot, it telling you you are getting shot from your left becomes misleading when you turn left and realize there above or below you and left.

Edit: Holy shit if I am going to ressurect a thread I should probably write coherent sentences.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Another good thing to do once you go behind cover is to shoot a decoy in one direction and go the other.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with the new grenade types. Flare is a ton of fun once you figure out how it'll help you the most.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also I dont know if you could do this before, but you can hold the grenade button down to make it detonate out further.

I think that's new with the weapons pack. A "fuse" indicator circles around your aiming reticule while you hold down the button to indicate the distance/time it'll go before blowing. After the patch I didn't know about it and ended up EMPing myself a couple of times from using the shortest length shot.

Opty on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Also I dont know if you could do this before, but you can hold the grenade button down to make it detonate out further.

I think that's new with the weapons pack. A "fuse" indicator circles around your aiming reticule while you hold down the button to indicate the distance/time it'll go before blowing. After the patch I didn't know about it and ended up EMPing myself a couple of times from using the shortest length shot.

The indicator is new, but holding the grenade button to make the grenade fly further was there before.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How do you know which grenade you have equipped? It always seems random to me.

And shooting a flare behind you is pretty awesome because it just does a mass distort and its still hard to pick you out, while you can still see.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

And shooting a flare behind you is pretty awesome because it just does a mass distort and its still hard to pick you out, while you can still see.

Bottom left of your HUD I think.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Bottom left of your HUD I think.

Bottom middle of the HUD.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png