As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great [Backlog] Challenge! (OLD THREAD)

• Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !Update 2/41 (4.9%)

Beat Dark Forces II. Good game, but the lightsaber duels were a snoozefest. Now, maybe I'll finish this thing by 2011!

thegloaming on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't buy a single thing (for myself) this entire Steam sale. I'm actually rather shocked. The Crysis deal almost got me but I did not falter. Retail sales on the other hand... well, I'll tally those up later.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    No, I got AC2 and Dragon Age for Xmas. AC2 pulled me in faster, heh. Coincidence, I assure you.

This is what happened with me, only mine were boxing day purchases and I decided to play AC2 first because I liked the cover better.

Stalker.

Frankly, I'm rather glad I went with AC2 first. I spent all of Xmas Day getting DA to run in Wine on Linux, and even now, every time I open the Inventory, I pray it won't crash. Which it does. Frequently. I may have to take this off my backlog and sell it or something, get the console version. Le sigh.

Houn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No, I got AC2 and Dragon Age for Xmas. AC2 pulled me in faster, heh. Coincidence, I assure you.

This is what happened with me, only mine were boxing day purchases and I decided to play AC2 first because I liked the cover better.

Stalker.

Frankly, I'm rather glad I went with AC2 first. I spent all of Xmas Day getting DA to run in Wine on Linux, and even now, every time I open the Inventory, I pray it won't crash. Which it does. Frequently. I may have to take this off my backlog and sell it or something, get the console version. Le sigh.

Aren't the console versions deemed not as good as the PC version?

And damn, can't you set up a Windows partition or something?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My desktop is running Linux because my server died. Were I to reboot, I'd lose access to my 1T raid for media storage, as well as it is my router/firewall for the rest of the network.

Houn on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Stalker.

Aren't the console versions deemed not as good as the PC version?

And damn, can't you set up a Windows partition or something?

Frankly Houn, if your PC runs it well (performance wise) wait for people to figure out how to fix it. The PC version is the superior version.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But the 360 version is pretty damn stellar.

T4CT on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But the 360 version is pretty damn stellar.

In regards to other RPG's on the system, probably. In regards to the 3 versions of Dragon Age released, no.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Steam sale did some damage to me, but I can tell that the worst one so far will be Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 platinum. I haven't played RCT since the first one, and this one just has so much more to it, it's insane. You can add animated scenery that activates when a ride car moves to a certain spot, you can basically add zoo exhibits, water rides, and even micro manage your foot down to determining how much salt to put on your fry stand fries, even to the point of selecting specifically to allow a customer to put as much ice in their drinks as they want.

I might not play another game for weeks.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Steam sale did some damage to me, but I can tell that the worst one so far will be Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 platinum. I haven't played RCT since the first one, and this one just has so much more to it, it's insane. You can add animated scenery that activates when a ride car moves to a certain spot, you can basically add zoo exhibits, water rides, and even micro manage your foot down to determining how much salt to put on your fry stand fries, even to the point of selecting specifically to allow a customer to put as much ice in their drinks as they want.

You do realise that you can ride your rides in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, right? From a first person perspective?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You do realise that you can ride your rides in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, right? From a first person perspective?

Yeah, that's one of the MAIN things. I'm talking about all the little nitpicky things that make it extra awesome. Like, one of the first things I did to mess around was to see that you can put animals out, so I bought a panda bear and just set it down, without realizing you need an enclosure. So of course everyone runs from the ferocious panda which just sat down to lick its nuts or something. So then I click on the 'capture animal' button, and the camera switches to a first person perspective from a chopper, where you shoot a tranquilizer at it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, backlog v2. This time I plan to actually stick to it, Steam sale scratched that itch and scratched it good.

!UpdateStatus

Currently Playing
    Crysis (PC)
    Halo 3 (360)
    Final Fantasy III (DS)

SightTDW's Backlog - 5/62

Armored Core 4
    Crackdown
    Dead Rising
    Gears of War
    [strike]Halo 3[/strike]
    Mass Effect
    Overlord
    Shadow Complex
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

PC
    [strike]Advent Rising[/strike]
    [strike]Borderlands[/strike]
    Crysis
    Crysis Warhead
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    The Dig
    Doom 3
    Doom 3: Ressurection of Evil
    Half-Life
    Half-Life: Blue Shift
    Half-Life: Opposing Force
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Jade Empire: Special Edition
    LOOM
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    Max Payne
    Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
    Mr. Robot
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
    Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    Quake 4
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    [strike]Sam & Max: Episode 201 - Ice Station Santa[/strike]
    Sam & Max: Episode 202 - Moai Better Blues
    Sam & Max: Episode 203 - Night of the Raving Dead
    Sam & Max: Episode 204 - Chariots of the Dogs
    Sam & Max: Episode 205 - What's New, Beelzebub?
    Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    [strike]Torchlight[/strike]
    Universe at War: Earth Assault
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut

Wii
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii

DS
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    Final Fantasy III
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS
    Pokémon Pearl

PSP
    Every Extend Extra
    Exit
    Metal Gear Acid
    Metal Gear Acid 2
    Patapon
    Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
    Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
    Wipeout Pure

Now I know you must be wondering why I'm counting Sam & Max episodes as entire games, but I plan to be playing them sporadically with some large gaps between episodes, so I can check off my progress like this.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !Signup

Oh gods, the Steam sale just ruined my wallet and personal life.

All PC Games, all on Steam.
    (0/30)
    Armed and Dangerous
    Braid
    Cogs
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    The Dig
    Fallout 3
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode One
    Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    LOOM
    Max Payne
    Max Payne 2
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
    Osmos
    Portal
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    The Secret of Monkey Island
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV
    Torchlight
    Ghost Master
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Jade Empire
    Mass Effect
    Bookworm Adventures
    Titan Quest
    Mount+Blade
    Company of Heroes Gold

Good lord. This is going to be epic. Anyways, currently playing Torchlight. Nearing the end of the Single player plotline, probably will call it "beaten" when the plot is over. Unfortunately, this is going to take awhile. Fallout 3, Jade Empire, Mass Effect.....Those three games are going to take awhile.

Achilles Last Stand on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    !Updatestatus 8/30. Dragon Age finished. I'll likely start a new character right away, but it's off my backlog. That game was incredible, and the ending put the ending in every other game I've played to shame.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    !Updatestatus 8/30. Dragon Age finished. I'll likely start a new character right away, but it's off my backlog. That game was incredible, and the ending put the ending in every other game I've played to shame.

I'm glad to hear that is actually has a ending.

You know unlike every other modern game recently.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It does the Conan ending. It ties everything up, lets you choose a few options with companions, then goes 'but these aren't the last we hear of [player character]...'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

It does the Conan ending. It ties everything up, lets you choose a few options with companions, then goes 'but these aren't the last we hear of [player character]...'.

Well...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Making some good progress on Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles (man that's a chore to type out), up to Stage 5 now.

Yes I know that doesn't sound very impressive but the checkpoint system in this game is impeding my progress :P

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !FallOffTheWagon, 9/19

I grabbed Dragon Age: Origins when it was discounted on the EA download sale but I was waiting to make sure I didnt pick up any other holiday sales. I did end up grabbing a few of the Steam deals, but it was just to add old games or games I had on other platforms to steam so I am not adding those to my backlog.

Rhiley on
    2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I managed to ge through Christmas without really adding much to my backlog. Only got 2 DS games (Zelda and M&L), so my backlog progress really shouldn't suffer too much.

I did succumb to my nostalgia an grab Castlevania Rebirth on Wiiware. Pretty good, but it's so "old schooly" that it doesn't seem to have save points, which means a couple hours of grinding to get through it.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !UpdateStatus - 11/56

Finished Saints row 2, admittedly with cheats but my god was it fun! I highly recommend everyone gets that ( after finishing your backlogs of course). I was giggling most of the way through it. Tempted to stay and keep playing but I have much to get through and DarkSiders comes out Friday. Gonna move to Bourne Conspiracy now, leaving Mercs 2 for a little later seeing as its rubbish.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !UpdateStatus - 1/49

Sort of a mixed bag. On one hand, finally finished the first Professor Layton game (including all the bonus puzzles). On the other hand, a friend returned my copy of Prototype that he had for the last 3-4 months that I had forgotten about, so that's one more on the pile.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    !UpdateStatus - 11/56

Finished Saints row 2, admittedly with cheats but my god was it fun! I highly recommend everyone gets that ( after finishing your backlogs of course). I was giggling most of the way through it. Tempted to stay and keep playing but I have much to get through and DarkSiders comes out Friday. Gonna move to Bourne Conspiracy now, leaving Mercs 2 for a little later seeing as its rubbish.

This game is such a breath of fresh air after being accustomed to a GTA4 style of play for open world games

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need to post this complaint SOMEWHERE. I'm still working on clearing Wild Arms 3 from my backlog, and I just realized far too late you can't actually unequip accessories for later use. The Delete button says it merely removes the item, but it didn't say permanently. I guess delete really means delete. I... I lost so many good accessories to this.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TeeMan wrote: »
    !UpdateStatus - 11/56

This game is such a breath of fresh air after being accustomed to a GTA4 style of play for open world games

Heck yes it is. I actually bought Saints row 2 before GTA IV but GTA fever meant I completely disregarded all other open world titles. Alot of folks made big things of the fact there's planes in SR2 but I've not really used them more than once or twice. Its basically the OTT nature of the game in general that makes it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TeeMan wrote: »
    !UpdateStatus - 11/56

Heck yes it is. I actually bought Saints row 2 before GTA IV but GTA fever meant I completely disregarded all other open world titles. Alot of folks made big things of the fact there's planes in SR2 but I've not really used them more than once or twice. Its basically the OTT nature of the game in general that makes it.

Haha speaking of SR2, earlier today I was playing it. A car was approaching me on the road and I head-shot the guy (so I wouldn't have to deal with arguing him about his car :P) and commandeered it. After driving around for a while I get involved in a head-on collision and the dead ex-driver that I shot just goes FLYING out the window in front of me like he'd be shot from a cannon :lol:

Should have buckled that safety belt!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AisengardAisengard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finished Metroid Prime 1, but fell off the wagon, hard. I bought lots of deals on Steam (Mass Effect, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Max Payne 1+2, X-Com collection), bought the Might and Magic 1-6 on GOG, and discovered the new King's Bounties. You can't ask me not to play the updated version of the game that inspired HOMM. It just wouldn't be right.

Still working on Clash of Heroes and Phantom Hourglass, however. Fire Emblem:SD, Bioshock and Resident Evil may be in my near future as well.

Aisengard on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !UpdateStatus 3/58

So my neighbor lent me his copy of Punch-Out Wii, which I am now adding to my Backlog. I can't help but borrow games when solicited.

On the upside, I should be done with Ultimate Alliance here in the next week and change. Going to try and go after some low hanging fruit and finish up CoD: World at War as well. I got half way through that before a scratched disc halted my progres. Another neighbor has that game so I'll snag that from him and power through it.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Update: With the newest xorg and nvidia driver, Dragon Age is crashing far less frequently. Still not perfect, but playable, provided I quicksave before opening the inventory, as it still crashes occasionally when doing so. I wonder if the DLC items have something to do with it, because I never got a crash prior to installing it...

Houn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Installing Beyond Good and Evil now. I hope I can run it.

edit: Whoa, what's with this French hiphop on the installation wizard?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Idx86 wrote: »
    !UpdateStatus 3/58

So my neighbor lent me his copy of Punch-Out Wii, which I am now adding to my Backlog. I can't help but borrow games when solicited. .
    I bought that game on a whim and beat the cast of characters. So worth it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Update: With the newest xorg and nvidia driver, Dragon Age is crashing far less frequently. Still not perfect, but playable, provided I quicksave before opening the inventory, as it still crashes occasionally when doing so. I wonder if the DLC items have something to do with it, because I never got a crash prior to installing it...

Wait... dragon age will run under linux? Or I guess mac's might also use X to do their display.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Donkey Kong 64 is coming along nicely. Got all the kongs now, have 2 boss' beat. It's compulsive to try to get all the banana's in a stage before beating it, but I have to focus on the backlog so I think i'm going to do the minimum to beat it.

God, I forgot how aggrevating the slide race against the bug with Tiny Kong is. I got it probably around the 20th try.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    seabass wrote: »

Wait... dragon age will run under linux? Or I guess mac's might also use X to do their display.

Not natively, no, but it's not bad under Wine.

Houn on
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I sort of !fellofthewagon... but just a little because of [SIZE="-8"]the bastard steam[/SIZE]

Torchlight
    Crysis (already finish that so it doesn't count)
    Crysis Warhead
    Crysis Wars
    Max Payne (Already finish that so it doesn't count)
    Mayx Payne II: The Fall of Max Payne
    Machinarium
    Trine
    Mirror's Edge
    Mass Effect (already finish that so it doesn't count)
    Shattered Horizon (it's multiplayer only, does that counts as being on the backlog?)

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gah, I just realized I left a few games off. The 'log is going to be well over 60 when I include the new additions. Too lazy to do that right now though.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I need to post this complaint SOMEWHERE. I'm still working on clearing Wild Arms 3 from my backlog, and I just realized far too late you can't actually unequip accessories for later use. The Delete button says it merely removes the item, but it didn't say permanently. I guess delete really means delete. I... I lost so many good accessories to this.

This game is amazing.

Though I'm still wondering how Maya hides a railgun in her dress.

And you don't even want to know how badly I've fallen off. To name a few: Deus Ex, Braid, and Pangya(PSP). Almost done with Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia(oXbox), so it kind of balances out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    seabass wrote: »

Not natively, no, but it's not bad under Wine.

You can disable the DLC in game without deleting it Houn. I can't remember where, but there's a list of downloaded content with a checkbox to enable or disable it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    !FallOffTheWagon, 13/41
    The christmas period saw me kill off a bunch of titles, however it also ended with me adding a bunch of stuff (yay for gift cards, but boo for the steam sale!) so I haven't really accomplished much of anything in the grand scheme of thing. I also had some computer issues last month so my PC list is reduced to only steam titles until such time as I can actually be bothered hunting down my discs for those other games.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Approaching 100 pages. New thread soonish?

Echo on