As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Mirror's Edge: Game Over (Complete!)

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you wish to go as fast as possible, the strafe key is integral to your movement ;)

WINKIES

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I use mouse and keyboard which is why the camera is often a bit jerkier than it should be. It does take a while to get out of FPS habits and into using the mouse to turn. But, for example, I'm fairly sure that speedrun trick that I couldn't pull off in the last set can't be done on consoles; you need to flip the mouse pretty accurately to hit that pillar, and that's something I don't think can be done with a controller.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I got mine for 20 dollars... and it wasn't even on sale. If that's cheap in your book you might as well pick it up. Bare in mind it has a pretty steep learning curve. You can see my aborted attempt of a LP as an example of that.

So I was wandering around downtown today doing my usual monday check to see what new DVD's are out and I wander into a local GAME store. I pull a copy of this out almost out of habit to check the price and rather than the £15 price tag it's had for the last however long, it's now going - brand new - for £5. :mrgreen:

I don't know whether I'll like it or not, but I don't mind dropping £5 to find out.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you need to flip the mouse pretty accurately to hit that pillar, and that's something I don't think can be done with a controller.

They probably just use reaction time for it.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's all this talk of ME in the Steam thread.

OP, where are you? Don't make me get another forum Brit to finish the game in your stead!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited December 2009
    There's all this talk of ME in the Steam thread.

OP, where are you? Don't make me get another forum Brit to finish the game in your stead!

Damn. I saw this on the first page, didn't recognise the set name and thought that there had been an update.

:(

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I found the 360 version for ten bucks and picked it up. Started actually playing it tonight.

Occasionally I don't know where to go. There's a hint button that's supposed to tell you, but more often than not this proves useless.

Other than that, I'm having a blast, and have completed chapter 4 now. I'm definitely not as good at combat, as is evidenced by me taking a gun and shooting some people in the head with it. Although, I felt totally badass when I turned a corner into 3 SWAT guys, stole the first gun, shot number two in the face, then got behind and dropped the third guy. I honestly don't know how I did it without getting shot. It just kind of happened.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    edited December 2009
    Set 5 has been uploaded and added to the first post... finally!

Bethryn on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you wish to go as fast as possible, the strafe key is integral to your movement ;)

WINKIES

I just saw this... the winkies are sarcastic, yes?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited December 2009
    More in the sense of a conspiratory wink I think.

The trick being that strafe jump can put you at high momentum instantly from standing still, so all the speed runners - any time they come to a standstill - strafe jump first to get their momentum up quickly.

Bethryn on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ahh, I did not know that. I just knew that strafing slowed me down when trying to run away.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited December 2009
    Less monologuing in crowded subway stations and noisy air vents!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God, I still love this game. I blew through it in about an hour last night just because.

Taramoor on
    edited December 2009
    Less monologuing in crowded subway stations and noisy air vents!

And during noisy gunfights!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited December 2009
    What's annoying is that in-game, all the sounds are at roughly the same level. It's only when it's been recorded that the trains are particularly louder, and I have no idea why (though I suspect it has to do with hardware acceleration).

I'll probably try fiddling with my mixer or even speaking louder (as you've no doubt noticed, I get horribly mumbly sometimes) in a few random sections to try and get it right for the next set.

Bethryn on
    edited December 2009
    It's not all bad.

And the whole Rhianna Pratchett thing...from what I hear, they brought her in near the end of development. They also had a while before there even was a story to this game so there might have been some shoehorning.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well that's the common crime i hear reported in games development

the game devs are 75% done, bring in a writer to tie this shit together, give them a rough idea of what they have in mind and tell them to bring in a script and some plot by monday

and then the writer takes out a 40 and does the best job they can

Nuzak on
    edited December 2009
    Almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw this on the first page. Glad to know that this LP hasn't died.

Also, I just read through the entire thread and according to my posts, I've had this game for a month and a half and still haven't played further than the tutorial stage. Really gonna have to rectify that. It's my own fault for getting so easily distracted.

Looking forward to the next set - although hopefully I'll have played past that point by then.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    best phil

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 2010
    Well, thanks to my workplace letting us oppressed workers bugger off early for New Years Eve, I've managed to play all the way through and I have to say that this game is both addictively fun and swear-word inducingly frustrating.

For the most part, I enjoyed the free-running aspect of it and legging it to stay ahead of a helicopter or PKF grunts spraying bullets at you really got the old heartbeat racing. There were a few points where I stalled and wasn't sure what the path ahead was, but a bit of experimentation tended to solve those fairly sharpish.

What I didn't really enjoy was the combat. I've gotten reasonable at it, but honestly, whoever thought that pitting you up against half a dozen heavily armed SWAT officers was a fun idea needs to be stripped naked, slathered in honey and staked out on top of an ant's nest. There is nothing more irritating that getting five of the bastards down only to get scragged by the last one. That said, it's only the SWAT officers that ever really caused me problems. Every other baddie was a relative doddle to deal with when it came to fighting.

All in all it was a great game and I really did enjoy playing it. I'll look forward to watching the rest of this LP and seeing how I should have done it.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Set 6 uploaded and added to the first post.

Bethryn on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got this in the steam sale and beat it yesterday on the normal difficultly, I think.

I really enjoyed it an it was quite a nice challenge.

I haven't watched a lot of LP's, but Bethryn, your sets are quite sweet. I like the attention to the detail of the game world and what each building seems to be about.

NotASenator on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Half-Price Books had a huge bin of Mirror's Edge for the PC for $5 each. Couldn't resist.

GPIA7R on
    edited January 2010
    some dude had some ideas for changing the pursuit cops in ME

not having played ME, i didn't know exactly what he was talking about, but having seen what you've just had to go through i can understand what he's getting at.

Nuzak on
    edited January 2010
    I didn't have a problem with the Icarus Runners but then I did tend to show them my rapidly disappearing back more often than not. The couple I did fight weren't all that bad. I found that continued slide kicks dealt with them handily enough.

The only real problem I did have on that level was an inexplicable inability to find the switch that raised the elevator so I could drop down into the secret base bit. I must have wandered around the bottom there for nearly five minutes trying more and more bizarre things before I finally spotted it, facepalmed myself and moved on.

And I have to say that this is a beautiful game whatever the lighting is like. It's so easy to just stop and take in the view. One time I got so absorbed in watching a plane going overhead and leaving a vapour trail that I completely failed to notice the cop that appeared from around the corner. First I knew of his presence was when the sod shot me in the back.

Anyways, a nice set. I'll look forward to the next one.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I never fought an Icarus cop. I always just ran like hell, and it worked for the most part.

expendable on
    Steam
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, you never have to fight Icarus cops. Although very occasionally, if you do run from them, they'll taser you midjump which is funnibad.

Although I haven't tried purely slide kicks against them, I think they're the most fun - if frustrating at times - to fight. As I think I said in the set, all other enemies are basically dealt with with frontal disarms or the three-hit, and it's pretty much a binary issue of "are they alone? If so, win; if not, run until they are alone". Whereas a group of Icarus cops simply means you've got to be quicker on yours ins and outs but doesn't mean you're screwed just because there's five of them going for you at once, and you should be using a particular kind of attack to respond to their different movements.

Bethryn on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yeah, I really tried to play the game non-violently, but there was one time, during the Mall sequence I think, where I had to kill every last motherfucker in the room just so that I could stop and look for the exit. All the bullets were getting too distracting. tsk.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    And I have to say that this is a beautiful game whatever the lighting is like. It's so easy to just stop and take in the view. One time I got so absorbed in watching a plane going overhead and leaving a vapour trail that I completely failed to notice the cop that appeared from around the corner. First I knew of his presence was when the sod shot me in the back.
    So true. It's refreshing to play a game where the color pallet isn't made up of mud, slate, gray, dark gray, and black.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I came into this LP a few sets ago and I gotta say, I'm hooked. This will probably be the thing that makes me buy the game even though I'll be terrible at it. I will say that this is a fantastic LP, as well. I'm a big fan of the informative style you've got going on, especially taking the time out to point out alternate routes, interesting bits and bag locations. It's very entertaining, and I'll be looking forward to further installments.

Although, I seem to remember a Sniper Rifle section that might like to have a word with your almost non-lethal playthrough. :P (Also, you kicked two people off a building in this last set.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love the last few ending levels. I would stand and fight every single Icarus runner they sent at me. I did that first section of Set 6 over and over and over until I could get the disarm/stun on them without even throwing a punch. It's great. I know it'e a cheat in a way, but it was new to me after punching and kicking them a while.

Love the game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Set 7 uploaded, complete with dramatic revelations and an impressive How Not To Jump Onto A Structural Support section.

The next set will probably have a section at the start with a few of the routes that I remember skipping and a final look at the concept art pieces.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2010
    At that spot where you kept dying near the balance beam, it is possible to go up on the right side with some wall-running.

And it's also possible to run through the stairwell fight without actually fighting. I was one of those people that was under the impression that you could avoid all fights, since the game spends so much time telling you that you shouldn't fight.

expendable on
    Steam
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    expendable wrote: »
    At that spot where you kept dying near the balance beam, it is possible to go up on the right side with some wall-running.

And it's also possible to run through the stairwell fight without actually fighting. I was one of those people that was under the impression that you could avoid all fights, since the game spends so much time telling you that you shouldn't fight.

I'm pretty sure there's only one time you HAVE to fight, and even in the Server Room you can still kind of fudge it by running around a lot before hurtling off a sidewall into the machine-gunner.

Taramoor on
    edited January 2010
    I really don't know what was going on with that beam. I've had the occasionaly Faith stumbling over it thing happen a couple of times, but I've never had trouble with her just doing a normal short run up and jump thing on it until today. Indeed it worked fine when I went back and did it while the set was uploading. >_<

You can indeed run the stairwell fight; I didn't just because I wanted to show off how to beat those two SAW guys at the bottom which a lot of people claimed is impossible. Goomba stomping there works 9/10 times.

Fights you cannot escape are the 2nd Boat fight with the SAW dude standing in front of the locked door, the fight just before an elevator in the Shard with a SAW dude standing in front of the elevator door, and the fight in the server room with the SAW guy standing in front of your stairs out. It's just barely possible to skip the car-park SAW guys next level, although I'll probably fight them because I enjoy that fight.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2010
    oh god my legs kept going weird when you fell to your death

the one fall where you fell backwards and landed on your spine was urrggaaahhhh

Nuzak on
    edited January 2010
    additional question: are you dropping/avoiding using guns in the game because melee is better or because it's funny to beat the shit out of cops with body armour using your unprotected fists

Nuzak on
    edited January 2010
    In a parkour game, guns aren't interesting.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    The guns make the game very, very easy so I tend to ignore them in favour of trying to pull off cool shit (which has been mostly denied to me sadly). I showed off the sniper rifle in S3 (I think) to demonstrate the focus and also to prevent what had happened to me the last time I ran that section (sniped out of the air twice...), and the SAW just because I like destroying that ornament. Beyond that there's not much to show off except perhaps the impact when you hit someone with the shotgun and maybe the fact that you can run full tilt with the pistol or machine pistol out.

Yeah, occasionally I get pseudo-vertigo when falling which is fun.

Bethryn on
    edited January 2010
    Ah, the atrium. It took me a while to get to top of that, mainly because the majority of times that I ended up falling down were when I was right next to one of the two massive pillars that all that scaffolding is set up around. So I'd basically end up falling a little way, grabbing a thin ledge and being unable to do anything but drop down a little further where I'd catch another thin ledge and so on until I reached the bottom where I had to start climbing all over again instead of restarting at a checkpoint halfway up which is what would normally happen if you plummeted all the way down uninterrupted and died.

And that second room that was loaded with SWAT guys on the boat... that one had me swearing. No matter what I did, I simply couldn't tease them out of cover. I'd get the gun off of the first one and then run out of ammo without managing to kill any of the others because they just flat out refused to budge into a position where I could get off a clean shot. Then, when I finally got tired of trying to lure them out and made a move, which ever one I went after always managed to be in a position where his two mates could simpy gang up on me.

Then, after countless tries, they finally decided to get reckless and came out of hiding. Revenge was oh so sweet. :mrgreen:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg