As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Mirror's Edge: Game Over (Complete!)

13»

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I really don't know what was going on with that beam. I've had the occasionaly Faith stumbling over it thing happen a couple of times, but I've never had trouble with her just doing a normal short run up and jump thing on it until today. Indeed it worked fine when I went back and did it while the set was uploading. >_<

You can indeed run the stairwell fight; I didn't just because I wanted to show off how to beat those two SAW guys at the bottom which a lot of people claimed is impossible. Goomba stomping there works 9/10 times.

Fights you cannot escape are the 2nd Boat fight with the SAW dude standing in front of the locked door, the fight just before an elevator in the Shard with a SAW dude standing in front of the elevator door, and the fight in the server room with the SAW guy standing in front of your stairs out. It's just barely possible to skip the car-park SAW guys next level, although I'll probably fight them because I enjoy that fight.

I know you can run past the Shard elevator fight.

I forgot about the boat guy, I guess you do have to take him out.

Taramoor on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nice videos. It's fun to watch the game played by someone who knows what he is doing.

I never actually knew the regular hand-to-hand combat was so effective against the enemies.
    On my first normal difficulty run I just ran past any enemies I could and in rare places (like the server-room) I used disarms.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're lucky or willing to put a lot of retries into it, yes. It just depends on whether or not the SAW guy shoots you when you're pressing the elevator button.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The AI knows when you have a gun or not, and alters its behaviour to suit. If you want to tempt them out of cover, just drop the gun right next to you, let them move somewhere stupid, pick it up and shoot them.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 2010
    Unless they're SAW guys who are too manly to fear puny bullets and just stay in one place (and let me shoot their legs out).

Bethryn on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The AI knows when you have a gun or not, and alters its behaviour to suit. If you want to tempt them out of cover, just drop the gun right next to you, let them move somewhere stupid, pick it up and shoot them.

Ah. Didn't know that. Though it does make sense, come to think of it. If I were a copper, I'd be a lot more confident if my opponent was unarmed as opposed to packing heat.

Oh well, the aggravating frustration made my eventual victory so much more satisfying. As I recall, a heartfelt, "Yes!! Take that you cheating bastards," was uttered.

Also, I've checked out some speedruns of this game on youtube and all I can say is.... "Wow!"

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're lucky or willing to put a lot of retries into it, yes. It just depends on whether or not the SAW guy shoots you when you're pressing the elevator button.

Yeah, lot of dying was involved :mrgreen: . The second run with guns was therapeutic after that.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited January 2010
    This is the Boat speedrun you should all watch by the way, complete with crazy Japanese voice acting.

Bethryn on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ahahah holy shit, he even got to the zipline faster than her

Nuzak on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whenever I do the atrium section it reminds me so much of when you scale the castle at the end of PoP: SoT.
    I get this giant urge to just start screaming the name Farrah everytime I get Faith killed.

Lenore03 on
    edited January 2010
    When I first started playing Mirror's Edge I thought I'd try my hand at a no-guns run. After all, how hard could it be? I think I got to chapter three before tossing that notion out of the window and cutting loose.

That said, I didn't go as much overboard with them as I thought I did. The game actually tells you at the end how many people you've killed and I was surprised to learn that I'd only capped eight people*. If my calculations are correct, there were two snipers in the sewers, two snipers outside the PK offices, three guards on the boat level and the SAW guy in the server room. That was it. I honestly thought I'd gunned down a hell of a lot more people than that, but apparently I kept the carnage to a minimum and settled for knocking people out instead.

*Well, technically it was only eight victims, but unless that guy I kicked off the top of that scaffolding learnt how to fly before he finished covering the two hundred or so feet to the ground, I doubt he survived so I'm adding him to my tally for a total of nine dead.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy crap. I thought I would try my hand at some speed runs, but there is no effing way I could be as good as that Japanese player. I hated the damn boat.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hahaha. I love how he skipped that part right after the last pressure door, and it just spawned her in front of him a couple seconds later. That is an impressive speedrun.

Great set, though, Bethryn. Even the deaths weren't that bad, even though that one where you turned in mid-air and had to have landed on your spine made my back hurt.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    The game actually tells you at the end how many people you've killed and I was surprised to learn that I'd only capped eight people*

Where is this information? There is a news report during the credits, but when I replayed the last checkpoint and killed everyone instead of disarming or avoiding them, the reporter did not change the number of deaths he reported.

SvK on
    edited January 2010
    SvK wrote: »
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    The game actually tells you at the end how many people you've killed and I was surprised to learn that I'd only capped eight people*

Where is this information? There is a news report during the credits, but when I replayed the last checkpoint and killed everyone instead of disarming or avoiding them, the reporter did not change the number of deaths he reported.

Hmmm. Interesting. I assumed that the news report was basically a tally of how many people you'd killed. The number in the report matched up with the number of people I killed after I went back through my mind and figured it up, so I didn't doubt it. It's possible that it's a canned audio report and I just happened to get lucky and hit the right number - or my memory is shoddy and I really did get more than eight people dead which is also a possibility.

Maybe someone else here knows the truth of the matter? Does the news report at the end tell you how many people you've shot, or did I make a bad assumption.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    The mystery deepens: The reporter in my game (PC version from Steam) says that NINE people died.

SvK on
    edited January 2010
    The mystery deepens: The reporter in my game (PC version from Steam) says that NINE people died.

Just played through from the last checkpoint on my save game and it seems that is a canned audio report. The PS3 version also has it at nine people dead so it seems that my memory is off as well. I'm afraid that I made a wrong assumption. It's just that my kill count was close enough to delude me into thinking that I was right. :oops:

Sorry for the confusion.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    That's too bad. I would like a count of how many people I disabled or killed throughout the game.

SvK on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally caught up and watched set 7. Eagerly awaiting the final set. Great job so far.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's just great watching someone play who knows what they're doing. :)

I can't wait for the final set as well! I hope PhysX hasn't been giving you any headaches. :P

Impersonator on
    edited January 2010
    Thanks. :)

PhysX got turned back off after the crash, since we'd passed the bit with all the pretty destructibles, after which it's not all that noticeable that it's off.

Last set should be coming soon. It'll probably be a gun run just to show a) how easy guns make things and b) a couple of things related to guns that I haven't shown.

Bethryn on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, I've been playing Mirror's Edge 2D a lot, which is kind of like the poor man's ME. It's surprisingly competent as a platformer and I think it captures the ME feeling really well. It's done by Brad Borne, the guy that did the Fancy Pants Adventure series, so it had to be good. :P

Try it here: www.mirrorsedge2d.com/

Impersonator on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    last set? this game really is short

Nuzak on
    edited January 2010
    Since it is the last set, have you given any thought to doing another LP afterwards? I would certainly watch it if you would because I enjoy your voice and your informative LP style. I don't really have any suggestions, but I did at least want to put that out there.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited January 2010
    Final set is uploaded, a bit messy and I have no idea why, when my PC can normally run the game in the triple digits FPS, it's dropping to below 10 in some areas, but there we go! As you can hear, sound balance in this game is great for some parts (like talking over gunfire) and terrible for others (like listening to Miller speak when he's not using the comms); ah well.

As for another LP, I have one in mind but it's not out yet and I've also got to gauge whether my PC can handle the strain. O_O

Bethryn on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not that I don't appreciate you mixing it up a bit, but it's a little disappointing to see the end game played out via gun run. Where's all the strategy and awesome death falls? :D

edit: Also, could not hear a word elevator voice was saying.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited January 2010
    edit: Also, could not hear a word elevator voice was saying.
    If I turn dialogue to maximum you can still barely hear her, and in return you get gunshots that cause horrible capped distortion. 8(

All she says is "welcome to the Shard, we have lots of floors, don't use photography on certain floors, have a safe/productive day."

Bethryn on
    edited January 2010
    Ah, ok.

Anyway, beautiful game, great LP, pretty lame story. Or at least poorly executed. I'll be watching the inevitable LP of Mirror's Edge 2 when it comes out.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    A nice last set to round out the game. I'm glad there were subtitles up because I could barely hear anyone speaking, but other than that particular niggle it was a solid finish to an excellent LP.

It was also a welcome change to seeing you gunning down people left, right and center. :mrgreen:

Many thanks for running through this. Were it not for this LP then I might very well have passed on picking up a copy of Mirror's Edge and I would have ended up missing out on an enjoyable and rather unique game.

As long as your next LP is a game that catches my interest, I'll be there to watch it.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    That last line of Jackknifer's there almost felt like at the start of plotting Mirror's Edge, they went, "Okay. Somebody at some point has to say this. Because it's Mirror's Edge, you see." And then they just went with it, because why not. It was kind of unnecessary in-game branding. Oh well. At least part of the ending was badass. (I'm going to assume a stray bullet hit the helicopter pilot and that's why he crashed.)

I completely agree with you on the Merc thing. Having a level without him would have been nice, but I guess all we got was the area before we got to Miller. (Who I -completely- forgot about.) Then having Miller step in was just asinine. Really, it kind of felt like they realized he was the one character they really didn't have any loose ends tied up for, and decided to throw him in to get him out of the way. That (created) lack of characters is definitely going to be a big hurdle for the sequel, since it may be hit or miss as to whether or not any new characters introduced will be liked at all.

But despite all that and for all its other flaws, it seemed like a fantastic game, actually. With it being as cheap as it is, I'll definitely be picking up a copy for myself when I don't have ten other games to play. Thanks for LPing it, for all the entertainment, and I'll certainly be looking forward to your next LP, even if it won't be for a while.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited January 2010
    But...talking about the mirror's edge is the first line in the game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    But...talking about the mirror's edge is the first line in the game.

....Okay. My memory just sucks then. :P

(But still it's a pretty bad line.)

Darth_Mogs on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    rad

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was a great LP Bethryn. I hope you do another soon.

Hybrid on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the plot in ME wasn't so great, but the gameplay is so addictive. I still keep trying to do speed runs now months after I finished the game, even though I totally suck at them...

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • kryoptickryoptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for running this Let's Play. Mirror's Edge was one of those games that I was never really interested in but still curious about, so it was great to see it played. I liked the running commentary too, the political stuff and the observations about the design of the game. I was entertained.

kryoptic on
    edited February 2010
    I kind of hope Miller didn't get offed by the PK. Amongst other things, he had by far the slickest outfit in the game.

Bethryn on
    edited February 2010
    I kind of hope Miller didn't get offed by the PK. Amongst other things, he had by far the slickest outfit in the game.

Even if the PK did capture him, I don't imagine he'd survive long. He knows too much and I doubt Callaghan would be prepared to risk him talking about it in a courtroom. Far easier for him to "conveniently die in a firefight" and get stitched up in the state controlled press afterwards.

Still, you never know. Maybe he pulled a Houdini and got away. We won't know until the sequel. I've got to admit that I'm kind of hoping he survived as well. I rather liked the guy.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Miller assembled his entire outfit to match his hair. That man has style.

SvK on
  • TurielDTurielD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Miller assembled his entire outfit to match his hair. That man has style.

Agreed, this tribute tends to come naturally to characters with white hair :lol:

Anyways, to OP: very nice LP, I'd actually stopped playing at the PK building section and you inspired me to complete the game... I'd always sucked at wall-running and combat before D:

TurielD on