As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Healthcare: Your mom is a public option (abortions void where prohibited)

1464748495052»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey, guess what we're not discussing in here?

It rhymes with "shmashortion."

Hash portions?

Quid on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey, guess what we're not discussing in here?

It rhymes with "shmashortion."

Hash portions?

cash fortunes?

Rust on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bash Orton.

15687image2.jpg

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    It's a pretty weak public option with an unconscionable amendment attached. Though Boxer seems to think it's dead in the Senate, thankfully.

I'm still not convinced the Stupak amendment is "unconscionable". At first glance it would seem to be (and that was my initial reaction, too), but I really don't think it takes anything away from anyone. The only people who are being denied coverage are people who don't currently have any coverage in the first place.

Codifying that in law is making it worse. Those people SHOULD have coverage for reproductive health, as it is a key portion of their overall health. It's just dumb and we'd be better off if everyone had access to all the available options.

Agreed. But "we'd be better off" is a whole helluva lot different than "the sky is falling the sky is falling!" Putting a legislative barrier in place of a monetary barrier is a step in the wrong direction. But I just don't see it as some monumental setback like it seems alot of people do.

Excluding abortions isn't going to make me oppose the bill (and to be clear, I support the bill; I just think it's weak). But it's really hard to see the Stupac amendment as anything other than a middle finger to poor, uninsured women.

fixed.

o_O
    Insured people get subsidies too. And the fact that a lot of private insurance plans do include reproductive health means that now those are either going to have to be changed, or you're going to get fuck all in terms of assistance.

o_O

This amendment only affects health insurance plans in (what will be) the health insurance exchange, which will only (initially) apply to people who are currently uninsured (or lose their insurance, thus becoming uninsured). Likewise, you can still get a subsidized health plan with a non-subsidized rider that will cover abortions, hence it's only a significant problem for those with a low enough income to not be able to afford those riders (e.g. the poor).

Also, in cases of rape or health problems, abortions can still be covered in subsidized plans.

Maybe you're right and this is a problem for women in general, but it's a much MUCH bigger problem for women who are poor and uninsured.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Perhaps yet another splinter thread should be made for the stupak amendment and it's abortion subject.

Newtron on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    Actually I think this thread just needs a break. It hasn't stayed on-topic for more than five consecutive posts in awhile.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.