As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paranormal Activity and Also Other Horror Movies That Are Not Paranormal Activity

jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I didn't see a thread for this...

Just got out of Paranormal Activity this afternoon and I thought it was pretty good. Although the ending was a little hollywoodish for my tastes the movie did a pretty good job of building up that sense of dread. Plus, I love me slightly chubby cute girls.

IMDB link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179904/

jhunter46 on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought it was good, but not outstanding. I want to hear a better explination of what the hell the
    Ouija board was about. Oh goody, a name of a potentially related person..?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Haven't seen it, but the trailers made at the very least certain SCENES look scary.

Also, $11k investment brings in $20 million in one weekend, now THAT is scary.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Was definitely fun to see in a theater since everyone around me was really getting into it. I'm also glad to see there's smarter more atmospheric horror films coming out compared to the usual flood of formulaic gorefests.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xyxablinkxyxablink Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Minimal effects, yet terrifying. It's all about "less is more, what you don't see is petrifying."

It would be nice if the makers of movies such as Saw and Hostel would learn that lesson.
    Anyways, having just seen this for the second night in a row this weekend, I must say that this movie was extremely well done. The "reality horror" genre seems to be doing well, after the Blair Witch backlash following the horrendous Book of Shadows. Given the sudden boom of paranormal related shows that populate the airwaves, its no surprise that a film like this comes along and as I noticed in the crowd tonight, people dont read at movies. Its a film so realistic that while it is fiction, it is as close to an actual incident as it comes.

But I fear that once people realize that it was just a movie, they'll have that same disappointment we all did when Blair Witch was declared a hoax, and thus, just another low budget film. Its that reality that people relate with, if they believe it could happen to an average couple, as PA depicts, than it could happen to you. This illusion, coupled with the jumpy suspense and at times perfectly timed moments that made you jump.

overall, the film was done well, lets just hope we dont see "Paranormal Activity 2: Demons among Us."

xyxablink on
    from an avid fan of dressup games | bratz games | dress up games | baby games community
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I thought it was good, but not outstanding. I want to hear a better explination of what the hell the
    Ouija board was about. Oh goody, a name of a potentially related person..?

Consensus is
    the demon was warning them against getting an exorcist or another demonologist, since Diane died during her exorcism

Green on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    I'm also glad to see there's smarter more atmospheric horror films coming out compared to the usual flood of formulaic gorefests.

Why not? The action directors have got mindless violence covered pretty well anyway.

"How'd you like to go pro?"
    -Aldo Raine, Inglorious Basterds

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed it, though I spent more of my time saying to myself, "THAT'S FUCKING COOL!" whenever something would happen instead of being scared. My girlfriend damn near fucking crushed my hand, though.

There were a couple times where I got creeped out, mainly
    The shadow you see on the door, when Katie would get out of bed and just stand there, and her being dragged out of bed and down the hall

It's funny, because generally I'm more scared by what I can't see, which seems to be the consensus, but this time I was more creeped out by what little I did see. I thought the haunting effects were very well done.

My only gripes with the film were Micah was a total unlikeable douchebag, and
    Once we find out it's a demon, there was really only one logical place the story could go, so the suspense went out of the film for me

Overall, though, definitely worth a watch.

cr0w on
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    I'm also glad to see there's smarter more atmospheric horror films coming out compared to the usual flood of formulaic gorefests.

I think I loved that slow build up more than anything. Anticipation is awesome.

Gore isn't scary, it is just gore.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    xyxablink wrote: »
    as I noticed in the crowd tonight, people dont read at movies.

What? You were expecting people to stop by the library on the way to the cinema?

Backstop on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The wife and I actually really liked this movie. First time in a long time I was actually creeped out by a horror movie. Too much gore in today's horror that my brain can't stop trying to figure out how they create each gore effect. Not scary, just sort of gross.

Anyhow. Our theater was really into it. I think it's the sort of movie that is probably better in a theater. The creepy feeling stuck with the wife and I as we both had a bit of trouble sleeping. A movie hasn't done that since the first time I saw The Excorcist when I was roughly 12.

Also, regarding the ending. There are 3 different ones that were shot and have been shown depending on which release of the movie you saw. The one in theaters now, is well, not the original. You can look around the internet for the other two. I'll put a brief synopsis of them in the spoiler below.
    Ending 1: Micah never comes flying up the stairs. She just comes back up the stairs with some blood on her and it's obvious what has happened. I believe she has a knife as well. She starts to cry and then slits her own throat.

Ending 2: No micah flying here either. She comes back upstairs bloody and with knife, sits on the floor next to the bed for DAYS, finally her friend shows up to check in on them and sees Micah's body downstairs. You only know this because you hear her come in and scream and leave. Shortly thereafter the cops show up. When the cops come upstairs she lunges at them with the knife and they shoot her.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The movie was ruined for me by the dicks behind who were laughing almost the entire time and saying stupid shit like "Oh don't go in there" and "Don't forget the camera" in a loud and mocking voice

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    The wife and I actually really liked this movie. First time in a long time I was actually creeped out by a horror movie. Too much gore in today's horror that my brain can't stop trying to figure out how they create each gore effect. Not scary, just sort of gross.

Anyhow. Our theater was really into it. I think it's the sort of movie that is probably better in a theater. The creepy feeling stuck with the wife and I as we both had a bit of trouble sleeping. A movie hasn't done that since the first time I saw The Excorcist when I was roughly 12.

Also, regarding the ending. There are 3 different ones that were shot and have been shown depending on which release of the movie you saw. The one in theaters now, is well, not the original. You can look around the internet for the other two. I'll put a brief synopsis of them in the spoiler below.
    Ending 1: Micah never comes flying up the stairs. She just comes back up the stairs with some blood on her and it's obvious what has happened. I believe she has a knife as well. She starts to cry and then slits her own throat.

Ending 2: No micah flying here either. She comes back upstairs bloody and with knife, sits on the floor next to the bed for DAYS, finally her friend shows up to check in on them and sees Micah's body downstairs. You only know this because you hear her come in and scream and leave. Shortly thereafter the cops show up. When the cops come upstairs she lunges at them with the knife and they shoot her.
    The "Ending 2" in your spoiler.....
    the cops shoot at her because one of the hall doors slams(obviously the demon does it) she was in a catatonic state and has no idea what just happened. I've seen this ending(it's on the internet now) and the one in theaters, and I prefer this over the theater version. Tho, the sliting of the throat suicide/murder by the demon seems WAY better to me because that means the demon is still out there.

zychi on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »

The "Ending 2" in your spoiler.....
    the cops shoot at her because one of the hall doors slams(obviously the demon does it) she was in a catatonic state and has no idea what just happened. I've seen this ending(it's on the internet now) and the one in theaters, and I prefer this over the theater version. Tho, the sliting of the throat suicide/murder by the demon seems WAY better to me because that means the demon is still out there.

Ahh, okay. I wasn't 100% sure. Hadn't seen either of them, just read about them. The way you describe it sounds way better than what I read then.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Sigh, I've seen ending #2
    She comes back in sits down next to the bed and rocks back and forth. Alarm goes up, still rocking, day goes by. Next day friend calls, still rocking, next day friend comes over looking for them, finds the body and screams. Shortly after the cops come by. Find her in the room, they are in the hall guns drawn. She wakes up, doesn't know what's going on, stumbles towards them crying asking for Micah, completely unaware of what happen, they tell her drop the weapon, she keeps asking for Micah and the kill her, radio in that someone is down. The clear the rest of the floor, and then come back, and one see's the camera starts wondering what it's for, and then it cuts off.

I didn't find the movie scary at all. Then again movies don't really scare me, nor do things that go bump in the night.

Funny thing about that movie. What she's talking about, feeling of someone in bed with you, holding you down, can't move or speak, shadowy figure, actually happens. It's called sleep paralysis and happens when your body is still paralyzed from REM sleep and you are still dreaming but fully concious. It happens to most people at some point in their life, and to some people several times. It's related to narcolepsy.

The movie seemed to try and play on a lot of things that do happen, for perfectly logical reasons and then go for the "but here is what you don't know cause your dumbass was asleep at the same time" angle, which I thought was rather stupid.

psychotix on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just saw it, mainly because of all the hype around it.

I thought it was well made for $11,000, but didn't think it was particularly scary - maybe a bit creepy at times, but at no point did I even approach mild fear.

Really, I have an incredibly difficult time understanding that anybody would find it that scary... but like psychotix I guess I've never really been scared by a movie, so I might just chalk it up to "not in the target audience" and leave it at that.

rufo on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I saw this tonight. I thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure if I'd call it truly scary, more like suspenseful. I thought it was well done, though. I'm glad I saw it.

Micah was really unlikeable, though. Why was that guy such a dick?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just saw it tonight. I wasn't too impressed as a horror movie, but it wasn't bad movie either. I'm more intrigued by the psychological angle to the whole "getting out of bed and walking around" thing as I used to do that while I was younger.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Micah was really unlikeable, though. Why was that guy such a dick?

I LOVED Micah, especially how he trash talked a demon that he knew was in the house with him.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just saw this tonight... It didn't freak me out much, but I was never overly bored. It was very interesting.

Lot of Micah hate... but honestly, I think his portrayal was pretty consistent with someone under that kind of stress. I mean, losing that much sleep to a... uh thing... is going to make you pretty damn cranky.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never been a fan of 'ghost' or 'demon' horror movies/books/etc., so I'll likely skip it. Zombie/certain vampire flicks have always been more of my thing.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Just saw this tonight... It didn't freak me out much, but I was never overly bored. It was very interesting.

Lot of Micah hate... but honestly, I think his portrayal was pretty consistent with someone under that kind of stress. I mean, losing that much sleep to a... uh thing... is going to make you pretty damn cranky.

I guess, but it seemed like he lacked even the slightest self-preservation insticts. He seemed really dumb to me.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I posted this in the trailers thread right after seeing the film.
    NOTHING SCARY EVER HAPPENS! The first night the couple is asleep, the door moves. Ooooh creepy. Another night, a light turns on. Another night they hear a noise, so they go investigate it and their chandelier is swinging. This crap goes on for darn near an hour with no development ever occurring. When the camera shows them in bed around three AM you know another stupid thing is going to happen, and you may scare yourself in anticipation (I did the first two or three times), but it is just another loud noise or fishing line trick to make something move around. Finally in the last eleven minutes of film or so, the girl gets dragged out of bed, which makes you jump, but then you hear screaming and fighting and there's nothing on camera, nothing ever appears on camera. Add in an ending that is very predictable, and you have a terrible film.

Now if the original ending was in place, I feel I would have enjoyed it a great deal more. I did appreciate the lack of gore that plagues most "horror" movies today, but it just played the same tricks too many times, for too long.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RippedMermaidRippedMermaid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saw it with some friends when it wasn't widely released to theatres, just some select ones very far away from where we live.

Overall, I found this movie terrifying. I've never really been scared in movies, but for some reason during this movie I felt my fight-or-flight sense really kick in. It could be the fact that I find psychological stuff more frightening than gore.
    The fact that you could never ever see the demon scared me shitless.

Overall, I think you'll either enjoy this movie because A) It's well made B) It's mildly scary and makes you think or C) It's scary enough to ensure that you will never lead a peaceful life ever again.

RippedMermaid on
    RippedMermaid.png
    ph blake wrote: »
    On the other hand, fuck that shit.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I guess, but it seemed like he lacked even the slightest self-preservation insticts. He seemed really dumb to me.

They both seemed like idiots honestly. And Micah didn't seem to fully believe it up till the end. If I was in a house and stuff started to happen I'd think someone, as in a person, was fucking with me as well and get pissed.

psychotix on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I would've been like Micah for quite some time. If I caught footage of something that looked supernatural on tape, my reaction would be "Oh, awesome! Let's record more and analyze it!"

Once my girlfriend was caught staring at me for 2 hours in the middle of the night, though, I like to think I'd be a bit more cautious.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would've been like Micah for quite some time. If I caught footage of something that looked supernatural on tape, my reaction would be "Oh, awesome! Let's record more and analyze it!"

Once my girlfriend was caught staring at me for 2 hours in the middle of the night, though, I like to think I'd be a bit more cautious.

I'd be more scared of a crazy GF in that case then the door moving.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

For a while there I thought the twist would be that the girl was just crazy. Seems like there's been a lot of horror movies with that premise lately.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that they just stayed there. The first guy they talked to said "don't bother running, it'll just follow you." Well, sure, but so would an axe murderer, and people run from those. I think it's worth a shot.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I would have gone to a church for sure.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd have been like, "I think we should see other people."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

For a while there I thought the twist would be that the girl was just crazy. Seems like there's been a lot of horror movies with that premise lately.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that they just stayed there. The first guy they talked to said "don't bother running, it'll just follow you." Well, sure, but so would an axe murderer, and people run from those. I think it's worth a shot.

That's really the fundamental problem with the movie. The night parts and a few other bits really were creepy as hell, but the plot and the characters were just so retarded. I suppose I can accept starting off with the mentality the characters have, and even keeping it up through the first few things, but once things started getting unarguably screwed up that's game over for that kind of stupid. The refusing to try anything, to bring anyone else in, the continued machismo, it's just annoying at that point and clearly giving up any semblance of plot in order to drive forward and hit the highlights the director/writer has in mind without any rhyme or reason to the why.

Maybe it's me, but I can't wrap my mind around what these people could be thinking. Thought one the second it stops being haha spooky girlfriend I'm calling James Randi and drawing in a team of people to watch everything and help while paying me a cool million for the privilege. Even leaving that aside, if I'm legitimate freaked out I'd bring in everyone I knew and start being systematic, especially if I've got unassailable proof on tap anyone can see. If shit happens when I'm asleep, then I'm having enough people around all the time that no one is ever alone and someone is always watching while people are sleeping. Buddy system everything up, watching everything and always keep the lights on, etc etc. It's not necessarily interesting at that point anymore, but there has to be some middle ground between "uh dur" and super rationally tryign to break everything down.

werehippy on
  • Options
    VehemVehem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The movie was a mixed bag for me, but the "move going experience" is really what killed it for me. There were some extremley forced yelps at a few of the lamer "jump scares", a lot of inappropriate laughing and the token group who still doesn't know how to put their cell's on vibrate.

Regarding the plot:
    The movie kept me at a pretty good tension level, which is what I look for in scary movies. Those "scare jumps" like the apparently worst ending of the 3 they showed feel forced and juvinile.

I also hated that they decided to stay in the home simply because some douche says so. It would have really upped the terror level IMO if they demonstrated the demon following them as they tried to run. At least one night in a hotel where shit got super bad would have helped immensely.

Also, put me in the "Micah" camp as far as how I'd handle it. Although, seeing her staring at me for hours in my sleep probably would have sent me packing. Oh, and the relevant bit with the Ouija board.

Vehem on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vehem wrote: »
    The movie was a mixed bag for me, but the "move going experience" is really what killed it for me. There were some extremley forced yelps at a few of the lamer "jump scares", a lot of inappropriate laughing and the token group who still doesn't know how to put their cell's on vibrate.

Regarding the plot:
    The movie kept me at a pretty good tension level, which is what I look for in scary movies. Those "scare jumps" like the apparently worst ending of the 3 they showed feel forced and juvinile.

I also hated that they decided to stay in the home simply because some douche says so. It would have really upped the terror level IMO if they demonstrated the demon following them as they tried to run. At least one night in a hotel where shit got super bad would have helped immensely.

Also, put me in the "Micah" camp as far as how I'd handle it. Although, seeing her staring at me for hours in my sleep probably would have sent me packing. Oh, and the relevant bit with the Ouija board.

You know how I'd handle it? Break-up.

Seriously, there's "this is creepy and weird", and then there's the events of this film. If even half that shit happened to me, I'd be gone.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was totally hoping that the movie would end with the Ghostbusters coming in and blasting that thing.
    Either that, or the demon ended up being totally cool and saying "Sorry, I was just fucking with ya. Wanna go get ice cream?"

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Watched this yesterday with the girlfriend. It was extra creepy for us due to just moving into a new house with lots of weird noises. It was also awesome when the the wind blew our door closed and my GF screamed at the top of her lungs.

Having seen both the theatrical and internet endings I definitely preferred the more subdued ending. The theatrical ending totally broke the 4th wall and ruined the feeling.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the theatrical ending was the worst of the three.
    I could live with hucking Micah at the camera, because it seemed clear that the camera was pissing the demon off. And when the chick looked at the camera and smiled, that was okay, and fairly creepy. The lunge at the camera, though, was stupid. It made little sense, and was an obvious jump scene.

The ending I really want to see, but haven't been able to find, is the one where she comes back upstairs and slits her throat. That sounds like the most disturbing, and the most appropriately subdued ending.

All that said, as much as I disliked the Hollywood-ized ending, it was probably the most consistent, plot-wise, just because it reinforced the idea that the demon wanted the girl, and wanted Micah gone. It tried to drag her up into the attic, and when that doesn't work, it has her kill Micah. But then in the two not-shown endings, it gets her killed. So why bother haunting her for literally her entire life if it's just going to abruptly kill her? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Having her just mysteriously disappear at the end, though? That makes sense. Either the demon keeps her around as an avatar, or it drags her up into Demon Land, or whatever the fuck.

Also, I thought they did a good job of justifying why the couple stuck around.
    At first, it was just Micah being territorial, which makes sense. Who wants to leave their house because of allegedly supernatural phenomenon that they don't even fully believe in? Then there was some curiosity. Then you have the one guy who seems to know anything saying that it wouldn't matter if they left. Follow that by the discovery of "Diane" who leads Micah to believe that bringing in more experts will just get them killed. And lastly, when they do finally plan to bail, the demon convinces Micah to stick around through his girlfriend.

While it's not how I would behave, there was enough explicit motivation given that I accepted it in these characters. I mean, I don't think there's a horror movie made that would work if you subbed in completely reasonable characters. At some point, somebody has to be dumb for the story to work.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This movie was definitely tense as hell, but the overall experience was ruined by the lame ending as pointed out, but also because halfway through the thing I was actually looking forward to Micah getting his shit haunted. Dude had it coming.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought the psychic guy was funny. "Oh shit, I am out of here" I mean damn, when the one guy who knows anything takes off the last strategy in my mind is to stick around.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    While it's not how I would behave, there was enough explicit motivation given that I accepted it in these characters. I mean, I don't think there's a horror movie made that would work if you subbed in completely reasonable characters. At some point, somebody has to be dumb for the story to work.

I have often wondered how that would work. Ironically, it's the one thing Hostel did well. A bunch of horny teenagers get into trouble with Slovakian murder-whores? I'd buy that.

The things I didn't like about this movie were the ending, and Micah the SuperDouche. I liked everything else about it, especially the slow crescendo of the first half.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    I thought the psychic guy was funny. "Oh shit, I am out of here" I mean damn, when the one guy who knows anything takes off the last strategy in my mind is to stick around.

Yeah, that part really amped up the tension. I was waiting for some sort of Poltergeist-style shenanigans, and that was unexpected.

Oh, also, I was a little forgiving of them not moving to another location based on the film's budget. Hauling their shit over to even a Motel 6 probably would've doubled the budget at least.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I was surprised that her friend only showed up that one time, for craft-making. Wouldn't she have come again to support her when she was going crazy?

Robos A Go Go on