As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paranormal Activity and Also Other Horror Movies That Are Not Paranormal Activity

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    Green wrote: »
    Freddy never cracks jokes and the only function of the nightmares is to transport the kids to a boiler room, at which point Freddy spends several minutes dragging his claws against the wall before finally stabbing the boy or girl.

Plot spoilers
    The remake does a pretty good job of making you wonder if Freddy really was guilty of child molestation in the first place, changing his entire dynamic from ghostly serial killer to a horrifically wronged innocent man lashing out at the children that essentially murdered him. It's really a refreshing and brave new take on the series.

HAHA PSYCHE Freddy's totally evil. ugh

Wow, you mean movie involving Michael Bay is shallow and retarded and completely misses the reasons why a film might be popular?

Shock.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I watched about the first half of Eraserhead last night, which is a horror movie? I guess? Netflix says so, anyway.

It's about what you would expect from David Lynch - it's weird and kind of creepy and makes little sense. I'll probably finish it later.

Meh. Watch it if you want, but except for a lack of creepy what-the-fuckness, The Kid's in the Hall 'sketch' Sausages is just as good for pointless wankery and is over more quickly.

Some reputations are earned because people aren't willing to admit they didn't know what was going on an thus didn't like it. But they don't want to look stupid so they say it's a great example of some kind of meta filmmaking.

Eraserhead just sucked.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just got back from Paranormal Activity 2. Hadn't seen the first one, I'm not really into horror movies, but what I'd heard about the first one sounded interesting. It seemed like it could be cool filmmaking.
    I wasn't terribly impressed with PA2. I thought it was a neat concept, to do a "realistic" haunting movie. I like naturalistic film and theatre and they did a good job making the dialogue and character interactions very normal and naturalistic. However it was a little too boring for the first half of the movie. I understand they were trying to establish a baseline of normal so that when things did start to get crazy it would be jarring for the audience as well as for the characters. But there was nothing interesting going on. It is still a movie and it should still be captivating my attention even if pans aren't falling from the ceiling.

If you're a demon, and you're apparently capable of doing pretty well anything, why are you waiting so long to eat the baby's soul or whatever? You can pick it up. You can throw people around. Why waste time spinning a mobile and slowly opening a door?

I thought it was kind of funny that you can just google "my house is haunted or something" and get accurate information about the demon that is bothering you.

All in all, I applaud the effort. Much better than a guy with a knife for a face chasing girls around and tearing their bladders out or whatever. But.. enh.

This on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I am Legend was fantastic pretty much the whole way through until the end. I didn't mind the change to the monsters all that much (although I freaking love the imagery of "NeviLLLLLLLLLLE!" being yelled at him all night, every night), but the end was complete rubbish. Basically he was the Legend of the good guys about someone who fought back or somesuch bullshit instead of being the Legend to the new race of vampire human monsters as the greatest serial killer of all time.

Will Smith was amazing in it though, and I'd recommend watching it for his performance alone. I've liked him in most stuff I've seen of him, but he really shows some chops in I Am Legend.
    The movie was originally supposed to end with Will Smith's character realizing he was the monster. In fact, the DVD release has that ending as an alternative ending. Supposedly test audiences didn't react well to it.
    Test audiences ffffffffffffffffffffffff

Glal on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Basically, I Am Legend was a movie about Will Smith telling all his detractors to fuck off.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am Legend was fantastic pretty much the whole way through until the end. I didn't mind the change to the monsters all that much (although I freaking love the imagery of "NeviLLLLLLLLLLE!" being yelled at him all night, every night), but the end was complete rubbish. Basically he was the Legend of the good guys about someone who fought back or somesuch bullshit instead of being the Legend to the new race of vampire human monsters as the greatest serial killer of all time.

Will Smith was amazing in it though, and I'd recommend watching it for his performance alone. I've liked him in most stuff I've seen of him, but he really shows some chops in I Am Legend.

Will Smith should have set up a UV light with portable generator behind the glass.

Vampires can't approach the glass, because of the light.

And they can't rush the light, because of the glass.

Then wait until morning.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Or maybe he should've just had like a million more guns and a rating that would have let him do what needed done. Or... see, there's a good reason I don't direct movies.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "I Am Legend's" new ending ruined the entire movie for me.

I also hated "Pursuit of Happyness," which wasn't horror, but the ending also sucked. The climax of the movie? Will Smith aces a test that we never see him having any time to study or prepare for. Also, we never actually see him take the test. But he aced it, so he's happy.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, after watching him through the whole movie, I was so invested in the character that I couldn't stand the thought of him going through what Neville did in the book. So I was kind of relieved.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The new ending takes all the genius out of the title. That's the main problem.

BTW, one thing that annoys me about Zombie apocalypse movies in general: Salvage. Realistically, every grocery store in America would be cleaned out and destroyed within the first few days of a zombie apocalypse. They should be the last place anyone goes to for supplies. Also, without people to maintain everything, you would probably expect major mold and insect and vermin problems.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really liked I Am Legend, but finding out how the original book actually ended it soured the movie for me some. Just feels like it missed the point of the book.
    I want to see the version with the original ending now.

Glal on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I watched "Woke up Dead" starring Jon Heder, hoping it would be a funny zombie movie like "Sean of the Dead" (Yes I know I probably used the wrong Sean/Shawn/Saun/etc, but fuck, you fuckers need to pick one spelling and settle on it!!)

But it was mostly... not confusing.. but .. lame, I guess is what I'm looking for. Anyone else see it, and think it had any redeeming qualities I missed on first viewing? Perhaps it's one of those movies that requires at least 3 beers before you start to appreciate it.. I don't know, it just didn't really have anything going for it.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    (Yes I know I probably used the wrong Sean/Shawn/Saun/etc

The best part about this is that you still didn't get Shaun spelled right :P

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    he included etc so he prepared for that outcome.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    His plan was fool-proof!

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, did anyone else see Saw?

I wouldn't be surprised if they continued the series in some way if this does well.

The 3d seemed pointless to be honest. There was maybe one or two scenes where they did a cheap "OMG ITZ COMIN AT MEHHH." That and I thought the traps were meh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I didn't see the movie nor do I have any interest in seeing it, but the poster for it was a really cool design, so it has that going for it.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a question. What do people see in the Friday the 13th series? I don't hate it, but it just doesn't grab me like Nightmare on Elm Street or Saw. I dunno. I was always fine with Freddy, ok with Myers, and meh with Jason.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The first...three, maybe four Friday the 13ths are pretty much classics. They're unique in that they actually have a decent bit of character development for the victims, and the showdowns between the Final Girl and the killer (be it Jason or Mrs. Vorhees) are usually really well done.

Then the series turned to shit.

And the remake was even worse than the standard entries in the series.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The first...three, maybe four Friday the 13ths are pretty much classics. They're unique in that they actually have a decent bit of character development for the victims, and the showdowns between the Final Girl and the killer (be it Jason or Mrs. Vorhees) are usually really well done.

Blackjack nailed it pretty perfectly. I still really like the first three. After that they sort of drop in quality, and it get worse and worse, until you get the awesomely hysterical Jason X. Which I like only as a guilty pleasure.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I'm in the mood to watch a good japanese horror movie this halloween. The 2 I've seen (Ju-on and that one where the guy dates the girl who turns out to be a serial killer). Ju-on gave me nightmares for weeks, it was so great and so damn freaky. Can anyone recommend me some others?

I don't really mind unresolved endings in paranormal type horror movies, but I gotta say I really hate them in slasher flicks. The whole "Watch a guy torture and kill people for 2 hours then everyone dies and he gets away" plot just pisses me off so much. I want a payoff at the end, damn it.

Also fuck Wolf Creek, I don't think I have ever disliked a horror movie more.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Blackjack nailed it pretty perfectly. I still really like the first three. After that they sort of drop in quality, and it get worse and worse, until you get the awesomely hysterical Jason X. Which I like only as a guilty pleasure.
    Jason X and Jason vs. Carrie (number...7, I think?) both need to be seen to be believed. At least 7 has a couple good kills, including the original sleeping bag murder.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Saw should have ended at one, when it was a mix of crime thriller and horror

way more interesting to watch detectives try and find Jigsaw than watch a bunch of people die in awful ways.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

way more interesting to watch detectives try and find Jigsaw than watch a bunch of people die in awful ways.

Then what would people do for their fix of gorn?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Then what would people do for their fix of gorn?

Hostel? Turistas?

nothing?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the most horrifying moment in the first movie isn't even as bad as the tamest moments in the later installments. that's...wrong.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the most horrifying moment in the first movie isn't even as bad as the tamest moments in the later installments. that's...wrong.

Hey, I'm just sayin'. By this point, there is no need to keep making Saw movies other than to push the boundaries of CGI and prosthetics and stuff. People want gruesome and this is how they're getting it. I'm not much for horror movies anyway, but gorn is beyond my limits of tolerance.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Hey, I'm just sayin'. By this point, there is no need to keep making Saw movies other than to push the boundaries of CGI and prosthetics and stuff. People want gruesome and this is how they're getting it. I'm not much for horror movies anyway, but gorn is beyond my limits of tolerance.

it's clearly beyond mine as well. and since there is no other reason to make more except to push the boundaries of what's allowed in theatres, they should stop. and get rid of everything except the original, which actually has some merit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That gorn makes any kind of money makes me feel more sick than actually watching the movies. And this is coming from a guy who spent last night chuckling gleefully while decapitating children in ritual sacrifice.
    Totally talking about playing Fable...
    ...or am I?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    That gorn makes any kind of money makes me feel more sick than actually watching the movies. And this is coming from a guy who spent last night chuckling gleefully while decapitating children in ritual sacrifice.
    Totally talking about playing Fable...
    ...or am I?

I'm not going to get into it in order to argue, but your sentiment makes no sense to me. Gratuitous violence in one type of media is better and/or worse than gratuitous violence in another?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I think I'm in the mood to watch a good japanese horror movie this halloween. The 2 I've seen (Ju-on and that one where the guy dates the girl who turns out to be a serial killer). Ju-on gave me nightmares for weeks, it was so great and so damn freaky. Can anyone recommend me some others?

off the top of my head: battle royale, evil dead trap, oldboy (actually korean, but really great). also, on the subject of foreign horror, i super recommend [REC] and [REC]2. [REC] is the spanish movie that quarantine was based on, but it's way better, and the sequel is just as awesome. all of these are available on netfix, except [REC]2, which hasn't been formally released in the us, but can be tracked down if you try.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    can't wait to see Saw 3D tomorrow

and i kinda understand the gorn hate, but the reason i love the Saw series is because it actually has a legit story, however ridiculous it is, good twists, despite how ridiculous they are, and unique traps, no matter how wacky they are

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I haven't watched Saw since...2? 3? Whichever one wanted to be a Cube movie, with all the people trapped in the house with all the death traps.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd really rather not watch a movie where John Doe is the 'hero'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I haven't watched Saw since...2? 3? Whichever one wanted to be a Cube movie, with all the people trapped in the house with all the death traps.

That would be saw 2.

Its the only saw I've seen and I called the twist after about 10 min of watching it (I did, however, sit down in the middle of the movie)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really hate Gorn stuff.

The worst offender would be Hostel. What a waste of film.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing that might get me in to see the latest installation of Saw is the fact that it is, at least for now, the final Saw. Just last year it was asked of one of the franchise heads how long the series would go on, which got the typical, "Until it stops making money" response. Guess it finally did!

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not quite, they just made less than they thought that they would... so i guess they're stopping before they start losing money.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I enjoyed Saw 1 and the twist genuinely caught me by surprise (probably because I purposely wasn't trying to figure it out), but I never watched any of the sequels. Never really got the point, and if someone told me there would be 6 sequels in 6 years to Saw 1 back in 2004, I would have called them crazy.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I liked Hostel because unlike most torture porns, he actually got awesome revenge on everyone involved. Didnt like 2. But Hostel 1 had that great split, first half of the movie shows them having a great time, second half is basically the same setting, same people, but you see everything they missed the first time, realising that the place was fucking horrifying and unsettling even before the torture factory.

Also Rob Zombie is fucking infuriatingly awesome. In that he has moments of lucidity amongst the tide of horseshit in his films

I know everyone will probably roll their eyes, but the scene in which the sheriff comes home to his daughter in Zombie's Halloween 2 is probably the most engaging and heartwrenching moment I've ever seen in a slasher, its the only time I've ever given a shit about the people in a slasher.

Its too bad he stuffs his films with hilariously unnecessary swearing for no reason.

Prohass on