As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BORDERLANDS] It's mind-blowing & we broke Steam for it

• Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    Honestly, the only one to care about at lower levels is explosive or incindiary, because they are best for the skags and people you kill, then move on to acid and electric for the later levels where everything has a shield. But, know this, If I were you I would keep the secondary weapons for your character that have elemental effects, then go for pure damage with the main.

It's hilarious and fantastic to see people explode through a sniper scope with a sniper rifle yes, but the ridiculous reload times make it annoying as hell, when a liquid sniper rifle will fire off 10 shots in that time and kill ten enemies.

Oki doki. Thanks for the reply, I'll just keep with the crazy damage revolver until some nasty armoured skags appear. Then they'll feel pain from the corrosive repeater pistol. I do like my pistols, but it feels rather out of character for Brick.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Honestly, the only one to care about at lower levels is explosive or incindiary, because they are best for the skags and people you kill, then move on to acid and electric for the later levels where everything has a shield. But, know this, If I were you I would keep the secondary weapons for your character that have elemental effects, then go for pure damage with the main.

It's hilarious and fantastic to see people explode through a sniper scope with a sniper rifle yes, but the ridiculous reload times make it annoying as hell, when a liquid sniper rifle will fire off 10 shots in that time and kill ten enemies.

Oki doki. Thanks for the reply, I'll just keep with the crazy damage revolver until some nasty armoured skags appear. Then they'll feel pain from the corrosive repeater pistol. I do like my pistols, but it feels rather out of character for Brick.

Find yourself a combat rifle.

Johannen on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »
    How viable are explosive weapons like rocket launchers? Do you see em much and is it possible to find enough ammo for em? Any crazy rocket launchers that shoot six at a time or something weird like that?

I snagged a helix launcher that fired in bursts of 3. It ripped shit up good at the lower-level sections.

In my co-op session last night I finished off Mad Mel with a well placed triple-rocket burst. So satisfying.

So has anyone else found a Pearl weapon yet? I'm tempted to go and boot up my 360 just to double check the stats of my Pearl Shotgun to see what's so special about it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Reminds me of something that confused me earlier. Is there a way to tell how much elemental damage a weapon does? I can't tell which is stronger, a 50 damage SMG or a 35 damage SMG with a x2 Fire modifier. I want maths!!!!
    Fire - Damage over time (DoT), does good damage to flesh.

Corrosive - DoT, does good damage to armored enemies (not orb shields).

Shock - Good damage to shields only.

Explosive - Area of Effect explosions.

Levels of Effect: The level of elemental effect on your gun effects two things:

1. How likely an element effect is to occur

2. How likely a more powerful element effect is to occur

So higher element level means there is more potential for you to score elemental attacks and more potential for them to be largely damaging.

Now on to the extremely interesting part, how each weapon scores and elemental hit:

Snipers: By far one of the most interesting, Snipers actually charge their element between shots. So the longer between your shots, the higher the chance is of a high elemental effect.

Revolvers: Slightly interesting as well, with a Revolver it's just a roll of the dice. Almost every shot will have element to it, but most times it will be a low level. Keep shooting and you're likely to hit the jackpot and score a high element burst.

SMG/Repeater Pistol: Each bullet has a chance to inflict the gun's max element effect.

Combat Rifle/Machine Pistol: The first few shots of a burst will have higher chances to inflict a high level element effect.

Shotgun: Another gamble with elemental damage but a bit different from the Revolver. With Shotguns it's: all pellets have an elemental effect or none of the pellets have an elemental effect.

Rocket Launcher: Always scores a high rank elemental effect.

From a borderlands official forum.

So, get one with a high multiplier and it should do more damage depending on the weapon type.

elemental SMGs seem to have a cooldown on their burst. i.e. - once it goes off, it won't go off again for a few moments. haven't tested, but I assume this applies to some other weapons with high rates of fire.
    the good news is that orange elemental SMGs appear to ignore this rule and act more like revolvers. :mrgreen:

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does Borderlands get released at midnight EST/PST?

Goose! on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    RandomKit wrote: »
    I wonder if they will release it early now that it's been cracked.

Well they said they would release it early if it broke street date and they didn't so I wouldn't expect them to.

The gearbox forums are getting raged on again, poor guys.

Sigh...yeah they are. But I'm afraid I'm on the side of the "raggers" here.

I can handle a week delay under the ruse of a weak optimazation reason. I can even stay calm when multiple reviewers bash the hud/menus/controls as direct console ports not even utilizing A MOUSE. But I start to lose my shit when pirates are playing before paying customers.

It's only a day before myself, but it's longer for you all in EU. Im pretty tempted to cancel my Steam pre-order, but sadly I don't think that would get me my money back. "Free and early" is better than "Not free and later". Sorry, just the truth.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Since I'll probably be in bed when this thread ends (more like playing Borderlands) someone needs to step forward and take the standard for the new one. Any takers?

I suppose I could since you stepped up for me before.

Haha, we're gonna take it in turns?! :lol:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Goose! wrote: »

steam is tommorrow at noon+

Morkath on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goose! wrote: »

The servers should come up at Midnight EST, but the Steam version will unlock at noon Monday.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, got this this morning for the PS3. It's fun as hell so far.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So apparently the PC version doesn't even have mouse support for the menus?

Morkath on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I'll probably be in bed when this thread ends (more like playing Borderlands) someone needs to step forward and take the standard for the new one. Any takers?

We gonna tag team this bitch!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

PSN ADD ME Johannen

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

Reviews say that there is some support for mice, but its not optimized for it. For example, scroll bars can only be raised and lowered using the "page up" and "page down" buttons and not moved by clicking the arrows that are drawn in. Its a very odd mix Mouse/Keyboard use that screams lazy on the part of the devs.

Decoy on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy crap, people have this for the PS3? We need to get some sweet sweet coop action going, I have yet to play this with more than 2 people!

Add me: maraxus94

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

PSN ADD ME Johannen

Will do as soon as I can get the controller away from my fiancee. It's her turn to play D:

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Decoy wrote: »

Reviews say that there is some support for mice, but its not optimized for it. For example, scroll bars can only be raised and lowered using the "page up" and "page down" buttons and not moved by clicking the arrows that are drawn in. Its a very odd mix Mouse/Keyboard use that screams lazy on the part of the devs.

Serious? God damn it I hate when devs get like this. Hope they patch it at some point. Thanks consoles for screwing over the PC time and time again.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay in preperation for the new thread I would like those who are playing on PS3 who are not on this list to add themselves. Forum name then lime'd PSN name. Just follow the format below.
    Clayburn as Caerus
    Doctor Fink as Doctor_Fink
    John Zoidberg as Stiff_Ninja
    Antihippy as Antiwhippy
    Flo as mechaflo
    Lord_Asmodeus as Lord_Asmodeu
    DasUberEdward as EdwardTheThird
    ElKaboom as himself
    Bullfrogof7272 as himself
    Johannen as himself

Also, thread title ideas anyone? I was thinking: [BORDERLANDS] This is where the fun lives! Come get you some!

Axen on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is my favorite game in a long time. When I'm driving around (in real life) everything looks cell shaded.

I have a level 30 Gunslinger going, wondering if anyone wants to get a team together later tonight and get some questing done.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay in preperation for the new thread I would like those who are playing on PS3 who are not on this list to add themselves. Forum name then lime'd PSN name. Just follow the format below.
    Clayburn as Caerus
    Antihippy as Antiwhippy
    Flo as mechaflo
    ElKaboom as himself
    Johannen as himself

Also, thread title ideas anyone? I was thinking: [BORDERLANDS] This is where the fun lives! Come get you some!

[BORDERLANDS]: Fuck You PC Gamers!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just got this:

SG10 BLAST HAMMER

Damage: 85x7
    Accuracy: 66.5
    Fire Rate: 1.8
    Clip: 7

Chance to cause Explosions
    Drop the Hammer!
    +31% Fire Rate

Shotgun

Its amazing.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clayburn as Caerus
    Antihippy as Antiwhippy
    Flo as mechaflo
    ElKaboom as himself
    Johannen as himself

[BORDERLANDS]: Fuck You PC Gamers!

Which seems to be the internet meme when it comes to pirating the game right now. I hope they fix the whole "they can also play online" thing.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shrieve wrote: »

Serious? God damn it I hate when devs get like this. Hope they patch it at some point. Thanks consoles for screwing over the PC time and time again.

Well, keep your fingers crossed that the reviewers over-stated the issue and for a day0 patch. :?

Decoy on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

For fuck's sake. I am going to flip a shit if the shooting controls are as sloppy a port as this.

Suriko on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm on XBL, Woc586, if anyone wants to join. Lvl 21 soldier here, got an hour or two I think.

So here's a puzzler. I have two tactician (soldier) class mods. Both do exactly the same thing: +1 team shield regen, +3 aid station skill, +2 quick charge skill. However, one is called "240 Tactician Class Mod", has a sell value of 3332, has a level requirement of 16, and is made by Anshin. The other is a "630 Tactician Class mod", has a sell value of 70,279, a level requirement of 34 and is made by Maliwan. What gives?

nlawalker on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would think Gearbox would do better.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh BTW do we need another Xbox 360 MetaTag? I think Borderwangs is full.

Axen on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Suriko wrote: »

For fuck's sake. I am going to flip a shit if the shooting controls are as sloppy a port as this.

And I just bought it! Hate shit like this. Hopefully its just a minor part of the game. We'll see.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wangs Without Borders can be the other metatag

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, keep your fingers crossed that the reviewers over-stated the issue and for a day0 patch. :?

I don't think there has been any confirmation of a 0 day patch.

Also I vote for; [BORDERLANDS]: Fuck You PC Gamers!

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Anyone want to assemble a team of level 30ish guys for about 10:30EST tonight?

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

We gonna tag team this bitch!

Hi5!
    I actually managed to get my laptop working so I could do then new one but I've already tagged you in. Nail that sucker to the mat!

And my name suggestion; [Borderlands] PC Gamers MAINSTREAM'D!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

I'm in. I'm only like a level 26 siren though. 360?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So hey there, Borderlands thread.

After trying to resist buying any new games, I broke down and bought the PC/Steam version of this today. 96% pre-loaded, just in time to find out about how the PC port has reached the expected standards of sloppy. But then again, blowing shit up.

So, if anyone wants to hurl a Steam group invite in my general direction, my Steam ID is Lawndart.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will be starting a game with two of my buds around 3-4ish around the game unlocks. If you are alone and wanna join in the fun then join off of me from the Borderwangs steam page. :X

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Yep, I'm on 360, just not the PA Borderwangs thing.

GT is Gathlayo

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I don't think there has been any confirmation of a 0 day patch.

Also I vote for; [BORDERLANDS]: Fuck You PC Gamers!

Aside from the "We can't release it early or people will pirate it!" excuse, I though the whole reason (or at least justification) for the week-longer delay in the PC version was that they needed time for a day0 patch?

According to this article they needed a few more days to add 'polish' to the game... And since the physical PC versions shipped with the console versions, a patch is really the only way they could move those improvements on release day.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Yep, I'm on 360, just not the PA Borderwangs thing.

GT is Gathlayo

Sweet, I'm Bedigunz. It'll be slightly after 9:30 but I'm definitely in.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Can someone in the WWB steam group shoot me an invite? I'd appreciate it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969309525

Decoy on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I as well need a steam invite:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/maboroshi

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
This discussion has been closed.