As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seeking information on trumatic brain injurys, seizures and legal advice(car accident

Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ill try to make this as short as possible and supply all relevant information. In 2003 or 2004 my fiancee was in a car accident. It was the other drivers fault and she was a passenger in the car that got hit. T-boned at 40-50 mph, her car flipped and rolled. She was knocked unconscious and had major injuries to her arm and shoulder which she received physical therapy for, she settled out of court with the other driver. She signed paperwork basically stating any further injury would be hers to deal with.

For the past few years she has been getting migraines that are really bad and has gone to every type of doctor and taken all different kinds of drugs, nothing has worked. Just recently she went and got an EEG and learned that she most likely had a traumatic brain injury that was not diagnosed before. This is the likely cause of her headaches. They also told her she much more likely to have a seizure, although she has never had one yet, (we don't think).

What im looking for is relevant information to this type of condition and if anyone has any experience with something like this please feel free to share.

What is the likelihood of a seizure occurring now? They put her on anti-seizure medication to help with headaches and to prevent a seizure.

Are there any avenues to purse legally? I feel like the original doctors did not do a well enough job on her head injury. They did a CT (and possibly MRI)scan but found nothing.

What I do for a living:
Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
Liquid Hellz on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you're much better off consulting more physicians than asking around here in regards to major brain trauma.

Esh on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Similarly, if you're seeking any sort of malpractice/negligence sort of litigation: Talk to a lawyer.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Similarly, if you're seeking any sort of malpractice/negligence sort of litigation: Talk to a lawyer.

This is why you never sign off until you're SURE that nothing else is going to happen.

Esh on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're almost certainly not going to be able to touch the insurance company of the person who hit her. You'll probably have to go after the doctor(s) who were treating her. Definitely talk to a lawyer.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In the process of getting the paperwork she signed to a lawyer right now. I guess I was more seeking advice from people who have been in a similar situation, as well as general experiences or information on traumatic brain injury that can cause bad headaches and possibly seizures.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have to ask - if the doctors who treated her after the accident did order a CT scan (and especially if they ordered an MRI) that didn't show anything, and your fiancee showed no signs of any brain injury at the time, what do you think the original doctors should have done that they didn't?

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Been better doctors.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Been better doctors.

And again, how? If they ordered the proper scans and found nothing, and there were no indications of any injury of that type on physical examination or self-report from the patient, what could they have done?

Ketar on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    Been better doctors.

And again, how? If they ordered the proper scans and found nothing, and there were no indications of any injury of that type on physical examination or self-report from the patient, what could they have done?

Been prescient, I suppose...

I'm not really seeing much grounds for a case at any angle, here (given the evidence provided)... but I'm also NAL... they're good at screwing good people over minute details.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Been better doctors.

You do realize doctors aren't House M.D.

They like need evidence and facts and stuff to make an accurate conjecture based on ailments, they can't just go "Aha! You have a TBI even though you are not suffering any of the usual symptoms and there is no evidence to support such a claim!"

Unless you're one of those people who gets mad at your server at a restaurant for not being clairvoyant and making your food exactly as you wanted, no mistakes whatsoever, even though that's not how you ordered it

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    No I understand I'm just frustrated because I got blindsided with this crazy news this morning. Just looking for more information on the subject, or anyone with similar experiences. Not looking to go suing anyone.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living: