As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC's Thread in the AC

• Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    good job. first genuine laugh out of me here.

Hazaa! And Napp that woudl probably work well, slessman thanks for the words.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    comic068.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd prefer it without the "what the?!"

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It seems I'm putting too much text in my comics, making it too obvious as to what's happening. I'll try to work on that.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    comic069.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    comic070.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're meeting your funny quota

Keep it up

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd like to see a bit more progression in your art coleman. Your gags are good, but the art has stagnated.
    The jokes are going to be all the better if you can sell them with effective expressions and body language.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had a good laugh out of "wish"

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The location of the coffee table in Super Bowl is pretty screwed up.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    I'd like to see a bit more progression in your art coleman. Your gags are good, but the art has stagnated.
    The jokes are going to be all the better if you can sell them with effective expressions and body language.

I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to draw every day, and am just working off reference pictures. I tried getting my friends to "model" for me, but they weren't exactly enthusiastic aboot it.

I suppose my biggest problem is I'm not sure if I'm practicing "the right way".

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mustang wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to draw every day, and am just working off reference pictures. I tried getting my friends to "model" for me, but they weren't exactly enthusiastic aboot it.

I suppose my biggest problem is I'm not sure if I'm practicing "the right way".

dude, all you need is a mirror. Now think of your dialogue and the feelings behind it and express that with your face. look at the shape and lines of your mouth, your eyes, and your eyebrows an try to capture it.

hell, if you aren't sure even then just show the sketch to a friend and ask what their initial impression is when they see it.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I actually laughed aloud at wish. Your writing is awesome.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Your last two were great. I enjoyed the pony appearaing right before death. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Your comic timing and writing is really good man. There have only been an honest handful of comics I haven't laughed at immediately.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    talk about most improved, man. keep it up.

work on the art and keep it simple like you did with the last couple.

Dsmart on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well I'm glad people are liking the writing, and it sounds like I should buy a mirror.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last one was pretty good.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jokes are getting better, art's not.

read as much of http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/ as you can, it should help out some.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jokes are getting better, art's not.

read as much of http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/ as you can, it should help out some.

I've never seen this blog before but thank you so much for posting it. I'm an animation student and this guy is just the bee's knees.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no problem, actually it was this one I meant to link: http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/

same guy, just more instructional.

in fact, this entry in particular on character design should be informative to you, especially because it points out the blandness of family guy character designs, what seems to be your primary influence.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

in fact, this entry in particular on character design should be informative to you, especially because it points out the blandness of family guy character designs, what seems to be your primary influence.

Hey thanks for that, I tried that out in this comic, though I'm not sure if it was successful. I'll do some practice with it.

comic071.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Hey thanks for that, I tried that out in this comic, though I'm not sure if it was successful. I'll do some practice with it.

comic071.jpg

Should be "Who's" not "whose"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you should really ditch the circular eyes with the straight line eyelids at the top and bottom. It's probably the biggest thing to blame for your "generic family guy" look.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you should really ditch the circular eyes with the straight line eyelids at the top and bottom. It's probably the biggest thing to blame for your "generic family guy" look.

Hmm, I'll try some things out, hopefully I can find a better way.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright so I did away with the eyelids in the eyes. I think it looks better, thanks for the suggestion ManonvonSuperock!

comic072.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think its missing something but I dont know what, but I still like it and I think the "Fiiiine" is a good way to end it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I was actually going to bring this up earlier, but i was too lazy. Agreeing with other people is so much easier.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think its missing something but I dont know what, but I still like it and I think the "Fiiiine" is a good way to end it.

To tell you the truth, i didn't even see this the first time. Maybe you should make it stand out more?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

To tell you the truth, i didn't even see this the first time. Maybe you should make it stand out more?

Maybe if he flipped the final image so the FIIINE was on the opposite side? So the eye might lead more naturally to it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm, I'll play around with the speech bubbles to try to make it more visible.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    comic073.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    well what else would you use giant olives for?

edit: btw have you ever seen an actual olive? ( i couldn't even tell what they were until the last panel.)

the red bit you dotted on the side is actually a little chunk of pepper/paprika inserted into the actual olive. So they portrude from the top/bottom hole from which they removed the core. (also I don't think those are used for martini's)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I realize that olives don't always have those in them, I just figured that was the standard cartoon olive.

comic074.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would remove the words in the last 2 panels. From the art alone, we fully get what's going on. I really like drawing my own conclusion after being "led" in that direction, not told what it is. Good concept though.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    TwinDragonTwinDragon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As a Canadian I approve this comic:) Well done.

TwinDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    I would remove the words in the last 2 panels. From the art alone, we fully get what's going on. I really like drawing my own conclusion after being "led" in that direction, not told what it is. Good concept though.

Yeah, I could of gone either way, though I mean the words don't take up too much space on the panels.

comic075.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    comic076.jpg

I think for the next comic I might try inking it by hand and see how it goes.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Go Go Gadget Racism. If I were you I'd act fast to remove this latest stain from your resume.

I just read all of your comics. You have many grammatical errors. I didn't make a list, there is a then and than error on the mouth comic.

You're rushing. Not just in the art, but with everything. Before you publish a comic, publish it here and get critiques, then put it on your site.

You are letting too many sloppy mistakes go through, then when people notice errors or have good criticisms, you can't take it. I don't mean, "You can't handle it." I mean you just don't make the corrections, or changes, because in your mind it seems to be too late. It's already published! I'll do better next time. But then you publish more sloppy almost funny work.

To really succeed, you need to care about a project so much that the idea of imperfection offends you.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the martini strip is one of your best to date. The characters feel very...alive. I can feel the enthusiasm in the second panel, and the third panel is every bit as ridiculous as it should be. Good job, man.

iglidante on