As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC's Thread in the AC

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't decide if the the joke would be better with full grown trees or not.

either way :^:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well these guys were in an earlier comic as well, so yeah, another throwback. Though this is the end of their appearances though...

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    You should have them appear as something degrading made of wood later on. Like a chair under a fat guy.

"Jim...Jim where am I? Oh..no...JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm that's not a bad idea DarkWarrior. Perhaps...perhaps...

comic082.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    really funny, but I'm not a big fan of breaking the fourth wall for no real reason.

Alternate setup would be to just have the first panel mirror the second, like:

panel 1, with dude looking at teevees, and the news guy saying "this just in! breaking news from the white house"

then continue onward from there.

just my .02 though, it's still funny.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The only thing I'd say is change it to "I won a free coke", the donut thing stands out a bit as Im not sure why a coke would win you a donut. Hes instead won an extra of sometihng he already has.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    The only thing I'd say is change it to "I won a free coke", the donut thing stands out a bit as Im not sure why a coke would win you a donut. Hes instead won an extra of sometihng he already has.

Canada.

http://www.rolluptherimtowin.com/

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, I suppose that's one way I could of gone with it amateurhour

Yeah it's supposed to be a coffee, but i guess I didn't make it clear enough.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh ok, I thought that thing in the third panel was a ring pull.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't use your dialogue font for fonts inside of the comic, i.e. the SALE sign.

I'm not from Canada. I thought the joke still worked.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I also think it could've done without the self-referencing. Almost anything else could've worked in the first panel: the guy was just fired and doesn't have health insurance, or he doesn't think anything good ever happens in the world anymore, or he's just trying to come up with something to write for his current events assignment.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I read that as a coffee and makes perfect sense to me. I do agree about the first line though, self-reference rarely works for some reason.

Also I'm pulling you up on your art again Coleman, consider yourself pulled up.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its weird because you did such an awesome lobster.

Hmm...how about "How will i ever afford my ADD medication now?"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its weird because you did such an awesome lobster.

Hmm...how about "How will i ever afford my ADD medication now?"

That's perfect!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm some good points guys, I'll consider it. Mustang, is being pulled up good or bad? like...a threat, or more of a less threat.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I'm not going to kill you if that's what you mean.....well, not yet anyway.
    Seriously though, pulling you up on your art means that with some more practice, I think you can do a lot better. You just have to start practicing drawing outside of the comic.

Mustang on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm from Texas and I knew right away that was a Tim Horton's joke. Thanks internet for expanding my perceptions.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah Mustang, I do WANT to do alot more drawing, hopefully I can do more this week. I decided to play with the colouring of my comics.

Here's the original (also todays comic)

comic083.jpg

And here's the way I tried doing it.

comic083take2.jpg

I'm definetely not ready to start making my comics that way just yet, but it's something I might play with.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Signs kinda small to read at the end but in the same way I guess its meant to be subtle, you're not throwing the joke in our face. its a solid joke, good work and your guy in the first panel looks significantly better than anyone you've drawn so far.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    For a while, I though the massively elongated, triangular panda in the middle panel was an integral part of the joke. He looks like a billboard. I would be careful with what you emphasize in a simple comic like this - disconcerting artistic decisions or unexpected detail can detract from the flow.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The hobo made the panda his tent.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited March 2010
    ooohhhhhhh.

Ok, I'm dumb - but maybe put in tentpoles or something? I thought the panda was just wandering past and oddly geometric.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The tent pole is there, but... it doesn't stick out (especially not in the second version)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah, I can see it in the first version, but it's subtle.

Look, AC, it's the angle really - all the interesting stuff that contributes to the joke is crammed into the bottom of the panel, and the top 2/3rds are filled with nothing but blank wall. This is kind of baffling. Why not choose a different perspective? If we were on street level with the hobo, coming along the pavement, for example, you could get a much better view on the panda, and we might even be able to read the sign.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I agree that a different perspective could do wonders for that shot.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, I try sketching something out.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm enjoying your comics, but there is definitely something a bit off that I can't quite put my finger on.

I think it might have something to do with the way the jokes are constructed, or maybe built. In a lot of your strips, I can see the joke coming from a long way away. Others, like the Panda one, I can immediately see how you came to make the strip (I'm assuming here that you saw or went to a Panda Express and worked backwards for the strip, but I could be wrong).

One thing I DID like, though, was the webcomic/win a donut one. You completely misdirected me using perspective, and I got a good little chuckle at the end. Like I said, I can't say exactly what's bothering me, but taking your final punchline that extra step at the end really makes the strip. Maybe I should just say "I like the donut/coke one" and leave it at that.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm yeah sometimes the I'll admit the joke is pretty obvious, but often when I change it up, the joke gets lost in obscurity. Perhaps I need to find the middle ground.

As far as the panda express one...the Panda Express part actually was the last part of it to come into play. Cloning Pandas was the basis of it.

Glad you liked the donut/coke one though.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    comic084.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LOl.

Made me laugh AC, good job. Only thing that'd help is maybe making the coat white, I struggled to realise who that was in the last panel at first.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't understand why the father says he needs his shot, and then offers him something that would keep him from getting it (since it repels doctors like that). I'd expect something more like, "son, if you don't want to have to take shots, you should eat more apples." But even then I would say it's kind of a lame way to set up the joke.

Also it's a bit odd the way the apple appears to be floating in both panels 2 and 3. I can see that the kid probably knocked it out of his dad's hand, but it seems like an awful long flight time for it to still be flying past the doctor, given how much conversation was taking place. Sorry to be nitpicky...

Your faces are still weak but the rest of their bodies are stylized pretty well for a comic, like the long bendy arms with no elbow.

These are sill hit or miss with me. But primarily I would like to see more experimentation, there's been a long stretch in this thread where you post comics, comments are made, and the next comic shows up with very little apparent difference. The different style attempted further up is encouraging, I would like to see more of that! Maybe draw a few things that aren't comics, bigger, sketchier, something not in this style.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I want to do a lot more drawing outside of the comic, and I'm just getting settled into this new place finally so hopefully that'll help. Moving twice in 2 weeks sucks. But yeah, I definitely want to do some messing around with my colouring. I spent a bit more time on this comic than usual. Hopefully it's an improvement.

comic085.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The fireman and extra dialogue are unnecessary.

It's funnier just to have him say that he didn't save the cat....you don't need to explain through the comic that April Fools has passed.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it'd also be more entertaining if brown shirt didn't see his house on fire, just blue shirt telling him it had burned down (maybe while covered in soot) or that it was on fire, and maybe smoke on the horizon.

that way the "so my house isn't on fire" is believable, either nothing is shown burning or the smoke and flames on the horizon he could think were from another house or the soot on blue shirt guy could be from something else.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The fireman and extra dialogue are unnecessary.

It's funnier just to have him say that he didn't save the cat....you don't need to explain through the comic that April Fools has passed.

Eh I was thinking it'd make it funnier, as he burnt down the guys home, but it wasn't even April fools. Making it worse.

And Manonvon you're probably right as always.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    comic086.jpg

For the next comic I'm going to try to sketch it out waaay ahead of time (i.e. tonight or tomorrow) and I'll throw it up here. That way suggestions will be easier implemented.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh I see. Agent is just using us to write his comics and then take all the Internet monies. No dice Coleman.

As for the comic...I guess its kind of funny but I think maybe Im missing the joke.

Apart from the first panel however, the art is a big step up, in the last panel in particular the criminals head shape looks great and all that background detail as well, its much, much better and thus makes the awkward news readers head stand out all that much more.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The joke is that the criminal is not dangerous and just wants to enjoy himself. He's more like a kid than a criminal lol.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    that's what I took out of it, but I could have also seen it being an attempt to pull some type of pun on "armed" considering the panel is full of prominently displayed arms. I think there's an unintended level of "is he trying to make X joke" when you really made Y joke there. Perhaps some other funpark activity that's less arm-oriented would be better.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, maybe a teacup ride would of been better...

Agent Coleman on