As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    It was a pretty decent throw back to the spirit of the early years.
    I really liked the other manager (Andy from True Blood).
    This episode gave me a slight glimmer of hope that something might be saveable about this show.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I like how Andy's plan isn't to take away business from DM for his own company: it's to devalue DM enough that David Wallace will be able to buy it and put Andy back in charge.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't think that's the plan at all. The plan is to just buy them using the massive client as leverage.

My biggest question is that Sabre bought the company because it was about to fall apart but now it's worth even less than when Sabre bought them?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I don't think that's the plan at all. The plan is to just buy them using the massive client as leverage.

My biggest question is that Sabre bought the company because it was about to fall apart but now it's worth even less than when Sabre bought them?

Robert is running the company into the ground.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    No, I get that, I just mean that they were collapsing under their own weight but things seem fine now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I will say, the most recent episode was actually pretty good.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Robert as CEO spends an inordinate amount of time at a podunk branch in Pennsylvania even though they're HQed in Florida. Of course he's running the company into the ground.

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    But he's the lizard king!

• Options
    I feel like they've been setting Sabre up to have problems all along.

Remember when Toby said he found some interesting things in the handbook but Pam and Jim hung up on him?

Anywho, I'm super excited about where they're going and really depressed that so many oddities are happening behind the screen.

Like the entire creative team leaving at the end of the season.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    jackisreal wrote: »
    But he's the lizard king!

Did he say "I'm the [bleeping] lizard king" or "I'm [bleeping] the lizard king"?

• Options
    He is the fucking lizard king.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Also say anything bad about this season you want but the Meatball opening is probably the single best opening the show has had.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I fucking lost it at Andy and
    The wall. "He really doesn't like that wall"

I can't even remember if Daryl was there the first time it happened, and he wouldn't even have to be; that'd be something everyone in an office would be talking about.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I liked the return of Angry Andy. All this passiveness from a guy who started flipping desks when his stapler was Jell-oed a couple of years ago was a little odd.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    I liked the return of Angry Andy. All this passiveness from a guy who started flipping desks when his stapler was Jell-oed a couple of years ago was a little odd.

Well he went through anger management and was actively surpressing his rage. You can see a few times in where he's wanted to punch the shit out of people and there was a fantastic deleted scene from season five from that ep where him and Dwight were going hunting:
    Dwight and Andy go toward the elevator (this is after the Angela fiasco)
    Dwight: Hey, your anger management sponsor knows you're doing this with me, right?
    Andy: Oh, no, I don't go to that anymore.
    Dwight: Right, because you're completely cured.
    Dwight looks terrified as Andy stares off into the distance, dead eyed, and the elevator door closes on them.

I think his anger management is why he's been such a whimp the last few years, he's over compensating and so when he finally let the shell crack he went nutso.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Also say anything bad about this season you want but the Meatball opening is probably the single best opening the show has had.

The hotel murder scene was pretty great too. But it's always fun when the joke is on Jim.

Though, as far as memorable openings go I'd probably argue that Kevins Chili opening was the most memorable. I mean, damn. You wanted to cry for the guy.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    There are too many great openings for me to pick a favorite.

I was pretty partial to the "Does Stanley have a moustache?" one because that's a situation I've been in, almost line by line I've had that conversation about people I work with. I like when they do little things from real offices.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The best part about "does Stanley have a mustache" was that even I couldn't remember.

It's one of those things you think you know the answer to but if someone else remembers differently it tosses your conviction into limbo.

Yeah, that one was well done.

And the Phyllis cliche one was good.

You know, yeah, this whole season has had pretty great openers; if they haven't done anything else right this season (not a stance I take), they've had pretty consistently great openings.

• Options
    Agreed, there have been a ton of great cold opens this year.

But I'm also a fan of the season as a whole, there are only a few episodes that have grated with me, a big improvement on last season which kind of meandered for the first quarter of the season.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The only thing that has bothered me about this season, honestly, is the inexplicable forcing Andy and Erin together when they really have zero chemistry; when Andy was already with an (apparently) great girl, who was clearly too good for him to begin with.

That whole plotline has been hard to swallow. It's like they wanted Jim/Pam again so bad but failed miserably. I've liked Andy as the regional manager. I've hated him as a needlessly lovesick puppy with Erin.

It makes no sense.

• Options
    True. They kind of blew their load with Erin/Andy in season six. I sort of like them as a couple though, I do hope now that they're together they just stay together. I'm not really interested in seeing them go back and forth any more.

I'm much more interested in Daryl and Val. That has potential.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The best cold open of this season can be summed up in three words:

IT WAS DWIGHT

(the episode in Florida where Jim frames Dwight for his own murder)

Terrendos on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well, looks Mindy Kaling's going to leave The Office. Fox just picked up her new show for next season.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    The only thing that has bothered me about this season, honestly, is the inexplicable forcing Andy and Erin together when they really have zero chemistry; when Andy was already with an (apparently) great girl, who was clearly too good for him to begin with.

That whole plotline has been hard to swallow. It's like they wanted Jim/Pam again so bad but failed miserably. I've liked Andy as the regional manager. I've hated him as a needlessly lovesick puppy with Erin.

It makes no sense.

It's super weird in the series that no one has a life outside the office. The only person with a "serious" relationship not with somebody who works there is Angela.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

It makes no sense.

It's super weird in the series that no one has a life outside the office. The only person with a "serious" relationship not with somebody who works there is Angela.

Phyllis is married to Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

It makes no sense.

Phyllis is married to Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration.

I know, but he's still in the same complex as them.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    He is the fucking lizard king.

I'm going to miss Robert, but I'm really enjoying this hedonistic downward spiral they've got him on since his wife left.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What the hell is with this show?

A really bad episode, especially Andy's A-plot and looking like David Brent with the stubble and hair. Seeing David Wallace again was good but man, this should have been the last episode, but Jim, Pam, and Andy are coming back for another year.

• Options
    I'm surprised Ed Helms is coming back. It seems like he has a decent movie career going on. John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer aren't a surprise, nothing they've done outside of The Office has really taken off.

But, yeah, really weak episode. Andy's A Plot was boring, still don't give a fuck about Daryl and Warehouse Foreman, and Angela is such an awful person that I don't even want to see Dwight with her.

The opening and ending scenes were rather funny.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Screw the haters I loved the finale.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    I'm surprised Ed Helms is coming back. It seems like he has a decent movie career going on. John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer aren't a surprise, nothing they've done outside of The Office has really taken off.

But, yeah, really weak episode. Andy's A Plot was boring, still don't give a fuck about Daryl and Warehouse Foreman, and Angela is such an awful person that I don't even want to see Dwight with her.

The opening and ending scenes were rather funny.

Would you give up a steady paycheck to maybe make it in movies? Ed Helms' movie career hasn't really exploded, he's done what? The Hangover films and Cedar Rapids? That's nothing to sneeze at, but I think I'd still want my day job.

Also The Office seems like a genuinely awesome show to work on, regardless of perceived drop in quality (which I'm not sure I agree with).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    And Robert officially slides into loathsome territory. I can't help feel that it was a bit forced.

Also that was a surprisingly lucid moment from Erin where she reminded Andy that images were going to stick in peoples minds and to maybe tone it down. She went right back to daffy when she started making up the domestic abuse stuff.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I did like the season finale.

I wasn't a huge fan of Andy's bit, but I like that it was a return to angry Andy...

The b-plot with Angela and Dwight was great, especially for Moes bit and getting to speak!

Robert California is fantastic and I hope he dies doing what he loves.
    fucking Eastern European gymnasts.

I am glad it's getting one more season, and I think it'll go on fine without Dwight. They've done a good job setting up the fact that he's not really needed as a foil to Jim any more.

Also the closing bit was fantastic, and hopefully tied up any loose ends with Angela, Dwight, and the Senator nicely.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    The finale was awesome.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    And Robert officially slides into loathsome territory. I can't help feel that it was a bit forced.

Also that was a surprisingly lucid moment from Erin where she reminded Andy that images were going to stick in peoples minds and to maybe tone it down. She went right back to daffy when she started making up the domestic abuse stuff.

I thought the domestic abuse thing was hilarious.

• Options
    Also, loved the fact that Jim realized he may have gone too far for once, though it was a great prank.

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »

I thought the domestic abuse thing was hilarious.

Indeed, and the joke is made even funnier because she had JUST been talking about image. It's a total Erin thing to do; Andy crawling around like a hapless hobo? Too far. Andy knocking Erin around because he's upset? Now that's real leadership!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

Catherine Tate is close to coming aboard as a regular next season.

...Maybe NBC figures they can up the viewers by turning the show into a complete train wreck. People can't turn away from those, right?

• Options
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a385076/catherine-tate-joins-the-office-as-series-regular.html

Nothing confirmed, but yeah, seems likely.

Kelly is gone and apparently it's going to be some kind of semi-reboot. I don't think they mean reboot in the way it's usually associated with a tv show or film series, but who knows really. They seem rudderless with Carell.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I think Tate's character has grown on me a bit since the first time she appeared.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg