As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is now coming to Xbox Live and PSN

MusanMusan Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
So, while looking around review scores, I've found out that Edge gave this small DS game called Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes a 9, which I've found somewhat unusual. Reading more about it, it appears to be a mix of many genres like RPG, strategy, and puzzle. I'm on a bit on a turn-based strategy fix since playing King's Bounty, so I'll probably pick this up. I really curious if anyone else knows more about the game, since previews make it sound a little complex.

For a better description, here's a lengthy preview from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/might-and-magic-clash-of-heroes-review?page=2

And IGN do have some videos up: http://ds.ign.com/articles/100/1004030p1.html

Musan on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well that looks interesting. Too bad someone stole my DS. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How did I not hear about this game? This looks like the thing that will keep me thoroughly entertained on the long flights over the holidays.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just saw that IGN gave this a very favorable review, and I had not even heard of it. Has anyone that got it want to put up some impressions? You'd be totally awesome.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I believe people have suggested this will be $19.99 at Best Buy next week, so keep your eyes open. Tycho also spoke immensely well of it on the front page today.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    mauselousmauselous Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Tycho:
    "I took it from room to room yesterday in the office - like a wandering monk in possession of a mysterious relic, the agent of its gentle profundity."

I cooked dinner, Vegetable Soup with Vietnamese style Pork Chops(marinade and all), playing M&M:CoH all the while.

Saw this at E3 and been waiting ever since. Great fun.

mauselous on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HoM&M series always had fantastic music that kept the same quality even after the transfer from NWC to Ubisoft. I'm glad they continued the game in their HoM&M5 world.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This might tempt me to buy my 3rd DS. Especially because it looks like I can get a used one on Ebay for 15 bucks or so.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks to whoever warned about that Best Buy deal, looks like it's up now.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love it when things come out of nowhere like this. Sounds right up my street.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I randomly found a video on Youtube of this about 3 months ago and pre-ordered it just off of that. The game is PHENOMENAL. I just wish they didn't start you as the damn elves in Campaign. Lemme be undead! Lemme be the demons!

But yeah, super great game. [canadian]I win with bears and deers.[/canadian]

As for impressions, it's basically a standard falling block puzzle game but with the twists that:

A: There's another falling block puzzle game being played above yours and it hates you

B: Every block that falls has a special ability.

You have 3 kinds of Core Units, 2 kinds of Elite units and 2 kinds of Mighty Units. Core units are basic attackers and if you line up three of the same color vertically, they form an army and attack after a certain amount of turns. If you line them up horizontally, they turn into walls (and each army has a different wall effect: elves' walls regenerate; undead walls appear wherever units die.) Elite units work if you line up two corresponding color Core units behind them and Mighty units need 4 Core units. Mighty take some work to get off but they are CRAZY powerful. Units level up the more battles you use them in. Core units are unlimited but you have to buy Elite and Mighty.

Before a battle you get to decide which units to take; you can take 3 Core units and 2 Elite or Mighty. You can even double equip some units to get them to show up more often. This helps with Links and Fusions, which happen when similar colored units are ready to go in the same number of turns. You also have one artifact you can equip to give you a passive special effect.

In any case, even with the staggering amount of options, you're basically trying to get your units to the top of the screen where they damage the other commander. Kill them and you win. Lots of the fights have an extra puzzle element tho, such as trying to hit two specific targets that keep moving or to NOT hit a prisoner that keeps moving.

Downsides: The story is lame and there doesn't seem to be any place to go to just level up.

GAME IS FUN

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    I just saw that IGN gave this a very favorable review, and I had not even heard of it. Has anyone that got it want to put up some impressions? You'd be totally awesome.

The reviews had also piqued my interest (from "never heard of it" to "must have"). I've put in a few hours and I can say it's great fun but not perfect. The basic set up is that you roam around a node-based map to acquire info, quests and additional units, then get into battles. The battling is a surprising "match three" type of system, with horizontal matches forming walls and vertical matches forming impending attacks. Each unit has a certain number of turns it takes before the attack is unleashed.

The two main problems are in that IGN review: there's no "info pane" on your units so it's really hard to tell what they'll be able to do or how well they can defend themselves until you fight a few battles with them. Secondly, there are a LOT of bounty battles/random "hey you wanna fight?" type of encounters where you can't tell you're outmatched until you actually start the fight. Other minor concerns are that many of the battles go on too long and luck can be a bitch sometimes (you are under her mercy with regard to what units you have at the start and how reinforcements fall in). Oh and one other minor thing: many of my battles so far have been more about surviving until my uber attacks are ready than actual strategies. This can make victory feel a little cheap sometimes.

One thing the IGN review doesn't really touch on his how creative the battle conditions can get. Sure the majority are "reduce opponents HP to 0" but there are lots of others were positioning, attacking key units or other situations occur. I love it when games do that (mess with the formula, so to speak).

I was surprised that within the first 2 hours my units started reaching their level cap. I was further surprised to then learn that it's because
    every several hours you switch races. I'm definitely looking forward to getting to the next one. The elves are fun and all, but I feel like I've seen all there is to see with them.

So far it's a pretty great game, maybe a little more challenging than I was expecting, and one that I'm fairly confident will simply get better as it goes. Definitely, definitely worth $20.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »

The two main problems are in that IGN review: there's no "info pane" on your units so it's really hard to tell what they'll be able to do or how well they can defend themselves until you fight a few battles with them. Secondly, there are a LOT of bounty battles/random "hey you wanna fight?" type of encounters where you can't tell you're outmatched until you actually start the fight.

That's weird, IGN is high. They're all pretty easy to remember and there's always a little number saying what their current strength is so you know just by looking at them how much they can defend themselves.

And I actually think there's not enough random battles. Even if you lose the surprise harder fights (which DO seem to be all of them), you can just continue with no unit loss so it's hardly a problem.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yea this game is looking really cool. plus its by capybara games, the same devs that made critter crunch. critter crunch is the fucking best game.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This could be interesting, but it'll have to wait because I'm broke.

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The two main problems are in that IGN review: there's no "info pane" on your units so it's really hard to tell what they'll be able to do or how well they can defend themselves until you fight a few battles with them. Secondly, there are a LOT of bounty battles/random "hey you wanna fight?" type of encounters where you can't tell you're outmatched until you actually start the fight.

That's weird, IGN is high. They're all pretty easy to remember and there's always a little number saying what their current strength is so you know just by looking at them how much they can defend themselves.

And I actually think there's not enough random battles. Even if you lose the surprise harder fights (which DO seem to be all of them), you can just continue with no unit loss so it's hardly a problem.

I guess I'm high too since I agreed :) It would just be nice to have a reference of how many turns their attack will take, area of effect, what the maximum damage is, etc. It's just hard to tell if a unit will be effective until you try it. And with the randoms/bounties, it would be nice to see their level beforehand. No, it's not a huge deal, but it's such a small thing that would be appreciated.

EdS25 on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is game is fucking amazing. If you have ever liked a puzzle based game, you should own this. If you liked PuzzleQuest, you MUST own this.

Also thread title should be "Take these Bears to help you on your journey."

"You have received Bears". :lol:

Also, I don't think the story is lame. It's a puzzle/strategy/RPG game for the DS. What the hell are people expecting, Uncharted 2?

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can someone tell me how to use Pixies correctly? It says "Pixie Dust - Fires a magical burst of pixie dust that draws its strength from the Heroe's MP bar", but when my bar was like 90% full they were still doing their regular, incredibly crappy damage. Anyone?

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Having never played, this is a wild-ass guess....could it be powered by your opponent's MP bar?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    MikatroMikatro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It does more when it's full as far as I can tell.

I pretty much abandoned the pixies though, archers and bears were much more to my liking.
    Took a bit of adjustment with all the 3 charge units in the human campaign

Mikatro on
    PSN/Xbox LIVE: Mikatro
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Damnit, i forgot my DS at home today (had to charge it last night). Was playing this for a few hours yesterday. Finished elven area. I got to that puzzle battle guy and thought, well This will probably be easy since its the first one...took me a dozen tries to figure it out heh.

I was hoping to save it for the plane when i fly home for x-mas but i can see that aint happening.
    Maybe zelda for plane.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, fuck it. I'm blind-buying this because I have a $10 gift card to Best Buy, and all of the Puzzle Quest comparisons in all of the spots I get gaming news from has pushed me over the edge. I hope you assholes are proud of yourselves.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Just picked it up. Ima go hide in the bathroom at work now, but to make you guys all feel better about supporting small developers, here's something I picked up from one of the devs who posts on GAF: We Made a Game That Comes in a Box
    grid1_small.jpg

To some, developing a game that is packaged in a box and sold in stores is normal. It is definitely not normal to Capy.

From the days before we even had a studio and met at a local bar, until Dec. 1st 2009, every single game that Capy had made was sold digitally - on a cell phone carrier, on the app store, on the PlayStation®Network. That all changed with the North American release of our little indie studio’s first Nintendo DS title, Might & Magic Clash of Heroes. It has box art, and a cartridge, and a manual. It comes wrapped in plastic.

While not everyone at Capy worked on the game directly, everyone at the studio played a role in making the game. This is a huge internet-based thanks to our whole team for helping us, directly or indirectly, to make a game that comes in a box.

What a cool moment.

Lunker on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just added this to my Christmas wishlist. If I don't get it, I'll probably pick it up afterward. All the impressions I've seen of it have been amazing, and it sounds right up my alley.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    This is game is fucking amazing. If you have ever liked a puzzle based game, you should own this. If you liked PuzzleQuest, you MUST own this.

Also thread title should be "Take these Bears to help you on your journey."

"You have received Bears". :lol:

I'd be like "How do I equip Bears?"

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I did indeed just receive Bears! :) The gameplay is breaking my brain, but it's really intriguing so far. I'm assuming it's not too smart to have all three types of units I have so far (archers, sprites, bears), since that means it's harder to make matches.

Lunker on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well I just ordered this game online. Nobody even has to qualify it and say "yeah for $20 it's worth it," everybody's just like "woo woo buy this." That's good enough for me, after watching some videos and looking at reviews.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Definitely going to stop by BestBuy and grab this tonight. With all the good stuff I've been hearing, at $20 it sounds like a steal.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is there any way to see how powerful enemies are before you jump into battle? I'm getting ruined because I'm level 2 and I feel like it's suicide to fight anyone with both a higher commander level and unit levels.

Game is clicking nicely with me; the first few battles are just completely random, but I'm starting to see more of a rhythm here now.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Is there any way to see how powerful enemies are before you jump into battle? I'm getting ruined because I'm level 2 and I feel like it's suicide to fight anyone with both a higher commander level and unit levels.

Game is clicking nicely with me; the first few battles are just completely random, but I'm starting to see more of a rhythm here now.

I don't even own the game and reviewers/previewers have been wrong before, but everyone says there's no way and that it's a critical flaw in the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I don't even own the game and reviewers/previewers have been wrong before, but everyone says there's no way and that it's a critical flaw in the game.

Ah, bum. It's not too terrible because if you really feel anal, it seems like you can save before going into every battle anyway, so it's just a matter of resetting if you're worried about losing gold/materials (which you do if you retreat from battle). I'm about an hour in, and going into a battle that's way over my head has happened a few times but I've also been able to beat an enemy that's statistically more powerful than me, so long as I enact my Deer Rush policy.

The game has a very Magic: The Gathering feel to it, particularly when you're setting up attacks and balancing where your attackers are with where you place units or walls to defend from other attacks. Not to mention that calling in reinforcements is sort of akin to the random luck of the draw with a card shuffle, and you can pick your unit loadout, which is like creating your own deck.

Lunker on
  • Options
    MikatroMikatro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You don't need to save too often because if you lose you can just hit continue which puts you right before the battle you just lost with no units lost. It does get a bit annoying. What I've found to work through the first 3 campaigns is follow the story missions till you get to level 5, they are all designed to go pretty much in order with enemy levels until that point. You can also do puzzle battles early. Then you can branch out and do all the side quests to get yourself to level 10 (which is the hero level cap)

As for the various units, units can only fuse and link with other units of the same color so it doesn't matter too much if you have multiple different unit types out.

I tend to play two different types of units normally 2 of the strongest unit and 1 unit that is the fastest charging. Then I add one champion and one elite unit. Fused elite unit attacks can do some serious damage.

Mikatro on
    PSN/Xbox LIVE: Mikatro
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't mean to open a can of worms, but since this is Capy and they've done a lot of mobile work before, I wonder if it wouldn't be crazy to expect this on iPhone at some point down the road. The vertical orientation and match-3-based gameplay would work well, and I'd honestly probably double-dip if if ever did, as I'm really loving it so far.

Lunker on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't mean to open a can of worms, but since this is Capy and they've done a lot of mobile work before, I wonder if it wouldn't be crazy to expect this on iPhone at some point down the road. The vertical orientation and match-3-based gameplay would work well, and I'd honestly probably double-dip if if ever did, as I'm really loving it so far.

That might happen, but it would likely be a year or more before that would happen. It's retailing at $30 now (I know, $20 at BB), so given the current price points on the iPhone, it may be a little while.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yay thread for this game! I've been tracking this sucker for ages. After gameplay videos emerged and looked solid, I asked for it for Christmas, which was the virtuous thing to do. But now I have to wait. I am very close to a decently baked rationalization for going ahead and buying a copy now anyway...

(Minor start game spoilers)

Aforementioned gameplay video

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My murderous deer army rampages on. They're like the goddamned FOEs from Etrian Odyssey.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My murderous deer army rampages on. They're like the goddamned FOEs from Etrian Odyssey.

This is not terribly thread-relevant, but is necessary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9lhfJeu2U

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, so, very important tip: you can remove your own walls. I can't even count how many times this may have helped me set up fusions. But later there are puzzles that require it. Goddamn am I glad I finally faqed that second one at the guard.

Also: I suck at the puzzles in these games. I'm good for about the first 3 or 4 and then my brain just doesn't work like that. The various ways that the units can combine doesn't help either.

edit : holy crap the music sounds 1000x better on that video through my computer speakers.

EdS25 on
  • Options
    4thEDITION4thEDITION Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I beat the game and I'll give some tips. Spoilers just in case
    The Hero units take the highest priority, and you should spend two or three turns charging one up when it chances on your side of the field. Once it unleashes, you've basically won the battle. Also, there are many places to level up in the later campaigns, but if you do the bounties and puzzles, you should never find yourself grinding levels.

4thEDITION on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay, fuck it. I'm blind-buying this because I have a $10 gift card to Best Buy, and all of the Puzzle Quest comparisons in all of the spots I get gaming news from has pushed me over the edge. I hope you assholes are proud of yourselves.

Pretty much what I did yesterday too. So worth it.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, so, very important tip: you can remove your own walls

Oh my God. Mind? Blown. This will help SOO much.

This game is so good, I think I might go buy a DSLite to upgrade from my DS. It's only $85 cause I work for Nintendo now, wheeeeeee.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg